Jump to content
    Timothy M.
  • Author
  • 1,812 Words
  • 3,445 Views
  • 49 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Diego’s Dance with Death - 1. Two Brothers Meet in a Bar

Sablo’s older brother, Diego, is not a happy angel.

“What do you mean, you’re dating Death? And why are you suddenly listed as decommissioned?”

Sablo stared at his brother, who was slumped over a glass of whisky. They were in a familiar human bar, but none of the few other patrons could see or hear them. Guardian Angels were invisible whether they were on duty or not. Not that anyone there would have bothered two cops having an argument in heated whispers, when they were alive.

“I asked to be DOR’ed.1 Leave me alone.”

“I never did before, so what makes you think I’d abandon you now?”

“Following me got you killed.”

“Following your footsteps got me out of the slums and away from a probable life of crime. It gave us thirty-five great years together as Marines, cops, and brothers. I don’t regret a single moment, including taking out that nest of evil child-traffickers, even though it cost us our lives.”

A wry smile pulled at Diego’s lips. “No one wanted to believe us, or maybe they were paid to turn a blind eye. Senator Holy-as-Fuck had to scramble to cover up his son’s demise – serves him right.”

“I don’t think he knew what his son was doing, but his influence made it impossible to do it by the book.”

“So instead, the two of us go in alone, catch them in the act, and get ourselves killed like a pair of idiots.”

“But the kids survived because you threw yourself in front of them.”

“And the kids got away because you went in there like a madman, wiping out all the vipers before we bled to death.”

“I guess both of us had a date with Death that night. But we woke up to another chance of guarding the innocent.”

Sablo held his brother’s gaze, reliving the moment a searing, bright light had chased away the pain and the encroaching darkness. Moments, or an eternity, later, they had been welcomed in Guardian Central as Angel recruits and embarked on an intensive evaluation and training course. Neither of them had looked back.

“I never believed Mama’s silly stories about angels, but she wasn’t that far off. She’d be proud to see you now.”

“What about Theliel?”

“What about him? She’d have loved him, as long as he makes you happy. You think Mama would’ve cared he’s a dude? Or worse, a bloody Cupid?”

“I don’t know. She died before I could tell her about liking guys. And Theo’s not bad for a Cupid.”

“I’m glad you have him, bro.”

“Did I tell you we met up on our latest assignments?”

“You mentioned it, but no details. Were you successful?”

Sablo launched into the story, trying to make his brother laugh over the antics of the boisterous imp, who had teased and taunted not only Cupid and Guardian, but also the haughty blue angel from the A.I. team. When he’d finished telling about protecting the Danish boy with the heart condition, Diego only had one comment.

“Glad your charge survived. Hope you get someone long-term next.”

“Diego, tell me why you’re inactive.”

“I got fed up with Death stalking me.”

“What!”

“Yeah, yeah, I know he’s not really stalking me, but all ten of my last charges died. I couldn’t prevent it, no matter how much I tried.”

Anguished blue eyes, the same color as his own, stared into the distance, as Diego ran a large hand through the short blond curls on the top of his skull. Unlike Sablo, who kept his hair long, to the delight of his lover, Diego stayed with the crew cut at the sides but let a couple of inches grow front to back. Together with the smoky tattoos flowing over his tanned, muscular chest, shoulders and arms, and the army boots and fatigues, this gave him a total badass look.

“They’re sending you into combat areas, aren’t they?”

“Disaster zones, terrorist attacks, civil wars, you name it. Even before the last ten, I saved less than half my kids. I’ve seen too much of Death, and I can’t stand it anymore.”

Sablo didn’t know which question to ask first. He wanted to know if Diego really saw Death personified. It hadn’t happened to him, when people died around humans he guarded, but admittedly, he’d only had five cases so far, four of which had been short-term. His only long-term case had passed over after living a long and satisfying life, as he’d told Theliel when they met.

Pushing aside his personal curiosity, Sablo asked the other important question. “Did you ask Central why they’re assigning a Guardian to such high risk cases?”

“Did I ask…? You’ve got to be kidding me. You don’t question orders from GC.”

Sablo rolled his eyes. Maybe it was Theo’s bad influence, but even before they’d died, Diablo had been a by the rules cop, and Sablo was a gut feeling cop. They made a good team that way, even though his instincts got them in trouble more than once.

“I’m not asking you to defy orders, bro. But aren’t you rebelling by requesting deactivation?”

“I just filled out the D.O.R form. They could’ve refused.”

“There’s a form? Milde Makrel.”

“What?”

“Never mind, just a Danish expression I learnt on my last mission. What did you give as the reason?”

“You don’t have to give a reason.” He knocked back the rest of his whisky.

“Come on, Diego.”

“Fine. I wrote I needed a break from Death.”

“With a capital D?”

“Huh?”

“Death with a capital D? As in Death personified? The Angel Azrael?”

Diego’s face would have made Sablo laugh if he hadn’t felt so worried for his big brother.

“Yeah, I did, but I never thought about it at the time.”

“Tell me what happens when one of your charges die?”

“Fuck off. Why do you want to pry into my failures?”

For fanden da. Maybe you’re not failing your duty.”

“Mom would still smack you for swearing in Danish.”

“Don’t change the subject. What were your orders on the last ten assignments? Do you recall the exact words?”

“They’re in my notebook.” He dug into a front pocket on his fatigues and produced a small purple book with silver edges. “I fill out a page for each kid, with their name and other data, the orders, and the outcome.”

As his brother rifled through the book, Sablo bit back a curse. “You’ve filled a lot of pages. Are they all kids?”

“Ninety-nine children of all ages during the time we’ve been here. Forty survived, but for most of those, Death came for members of their families.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know.”

“Not your fault.”

“But I’ve been too busy with my own stuff. If I’d spent more time with you….”

“Nothing you could’ve done.”

“We’ll see about that. Tell me the exact wording of your orders, starting with the most recent case.”

“All right, you stubborn bastard. Here we go.”

Ten minutes later, they were both staring at the notes Sablo had made. The evidence was overwhelming.

“Almost all the ones who died came with the order to ‘shield and succor unto Death.’ Nothing like my orders to protect and guard against danger.”

“I thought those were standard orders, but you’re saying they’re not.”

“Well, I’ve never had cases like yours. But you can see the pattern, right? Those kids were going to have terrible, painful deaths from violence, fire, drowning, or natural disasters. Your presence wasn’t meant to keep them from dying, but to ease their way.”

Sablo put his arm around his brother’s shoulders and pretended not to see his moist eyes.

“And most of the kids who survived had the extra tag line ‘or delivery from danger.’ But so did several of those who died.”

“You also had survivor kids with different orders. More like one of my short-term missions.”

“Yeah, but I never noticed, because they were scattered among the others. But now I can see they usually came after I did the worst ones. Like a sort of respite, only the fuckers at GC never told me.”

“We’ll deal with those idiots later. But you can see you don’t have to feel guilty, OK? You did your duty and helped those kids, as you were meant to.”

“Perhaps you’re right.”

“My instincts are infallible. You know that.”

“Arrogant bastard.” Diego slapped the back of his brother’s head before Sablo could duck.

“Hey, cut it out! OK, now tell me what happens as the kids or people around them die.”

“What difference does that make? I just wanna forget about it.”

Sablo got up and walked over to the bar. When he was sure no one was looking at the spot where he was standing, he dug out some money and turned visible. As he did, his leather pants morphed into a police uniform, with a blue shirt covering his naked torso. After getting two single-malts from the bartender, he returned to Diego, who was looking pale and even shakier than before.

“Here, you look like you need another drink or two.”

“So would you if you kept seeing the Angel of Death.”

“Go on.”

“OK then. The moment before my charge passes, the hair on the back of my neck stands up. Next thing I know, Death hovers in front of me, or beside me, and I hold the kid out to them. Or if it’s someone else, the Angel points a hand to them where they stand or sit or whatever.”

“Fucking spooky. Then what?”

“This bright spark flows from the victim into Azrael’s cloak, and I’m left standing or sitting with the dead body.”

Diego gulped the rest of his whisky, and Sablo pushed the full glass over. “And? Do you say anything to each other?”

“There’s nothing to say. I get the fuck out of there, pronto.”

“What does the Angel of Death look like?”

“Tall, pale, long black hair, dark eyes which burn into yours. Handsome face, I suppose, like those statues at the Met.”

“Male or female?”

“Not sure, the body is always shrouded in mist and a grey cloak, but the hands look strong. Anyway, who cares?”

Sablo smirked. “I know you don’t. I was just curious.”

Diego scowled at this reminder of him being bisexual. “Wipe that grin off your face, before I do it for you, Mister Nosy. You can join me on my next mission and see for yourself.”

“I thought you were inactive.”

“Apparently that’s been revoked.” Diego pulled his daggers from below the table and, true enough, they were no longer dark but had the same golden glow as Sablo’s sword.

“Let’s get back to GC. Later, maybe, we should pay Ayil at CC a visit.”

“Theo’s boss? Why the fuck would you…?”

Before Diego could finish his objections, Sablo had grabbed his hand and ‘ported them.

1: D.O.R. = Dismissed On Request.
Milde Makrel = Holy Mackerel. For Fanden da = By the Devil (To Hell with that).
Copyright © 2019 Timothy M., aditus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 12
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



You’re just bound and determined to teach me Danish, one word at a time!. Well it’s not going to work! I’ve had friends try to teach me words in (Mandarin) Chinese and Basque and it never sticks. I barely remember bits and pieces of the three languages I took two years each of in school! Theoretically, my Spanish and French should be reinforced by what I hear around me (especially Español) and embedded into English. I sometimes watch the English language news broadcasts of France24 and NHK (which often feature stories translated or subtitled from their original native languages). But my brain just can’t grasp anything but English.  ;–)

Link to comment

It’s always fun to return to the A/I World. I don’t think we knew where Guardian Angels came from before. I guess I thought they were born into the job or something. So now it’s something to aspire to! Hey, I’m Agnostic, this makes just as much sense as any other fairytale!  ;–)

Link to comment

Oh... I like this a lot! I love this idea of an afterlife where heroes can still be heroes. Hunky angels... even better. So... not to jump ahead, but I'm thinking Death is looking for excuses to see Diego. His job has to suck, so maybe an angel man is just what he needs.... At any rate, this is a refreshing concept, and of course written with humor and flair. Kudos on the collaboration, guys. I look forward to the unfolding of this little mystery. Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Do you mean @Timothy M.’s ‘collaboration’ with his muse?  ;–)

 

I guess you can say @aditus  woke up my muse, since this story would never had taken off if Aditus hadn't joined me in writing. Plus Sablo and Theliel are Cupid Central characters, though I invented Diego. This is why we both feature as authors if you look at the front page of the story. However, working on this prompt together got my writing going on other projects, for which I'm very grateful. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

I guess you can say @aditus  woke up my muse, since this story would never had taken off if Aditus hadn't joined me in writing. Plus Sablo and Theliel are Cupid Central characters, though I invented Diego. This is why we both feature as authors if you look at the front page of the story. However, working on this prompt together got my writing going on other projects, for which I'm very grateful. 

I rarely look at the ‘front page’ because of the way the Notifications work. I looked at the top and bottom of the chapter and didn’t notice a second author’s name mentioned as coauthor or collaborator. I did however look at the ‘front page’ this time and noticed the Viking Valentine tag and clicked to find out what that meant. I did notice @aditus’s Cupid Central included there.  ;–)

Link to comment
6 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I rarely look at the ‘front page’ because of the way the Notifications work.

 

:( for that - since apart from you missing important information, this also means we miss out on a story like from you to place Diego on the Top Story list.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Do you mean @Timothy M.’s ‘collaboration’ with his muse?  ;–)

Yeah, what Tim said. :)  I think it's awesome that characters from two authors can come together in such a new and intriguing world. I salute Tim and Adi for what they're doing. :D 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

 

:( for that - since apart from you missing important information, this also means we miss out on a story like from you to place Diego on the Top Story list.

Thanks for cluing me in... I wasn't aware that had an effect. :) 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 2/14/2019 at 1:44 PM, Starrynight22 said:

Fun start. 

I can't imagine an afterlife of eternal witnessing of children's deaths.  It doesn't seem very nice.  

Hope to see more of these two.  

 

I hadn't though of it like that, but you're absolutely right. No wonder Diego wants to pack it up.

Yep, more chapters are coming. :yes: 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 2/14/2019 at 2:07 PM, Parker Owens said:

You bring the afterlife into bright relief. It’s almost the beginning of a joke: two guardian angels walk into a bar... Does Diego have a thing for Death? Or Death for him? I can’t even imagine how that would work. Great chapter. 

 

:lmao:  We should definitely have used that joke. Yes, I was wondering the same as you during the first chapter. As for the answer... :X 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
On 2/14/2019 at 2:56 PM, CLJobe said:

Looks like a good story, I look forward to reading the rest of this adventure.

 

Thanks, hopefully Aditus and I can live up to expectations.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 2/14/2019 at 6:50 PM, droughtquake said:

You’re just bound and determined to teach me Danish, one word at a time!. Well it’s not going to work!

 

Just wait @aditus will start you on German soon. :rofl: 

On 2/14/2019 at 6:56 PM, droughtquake said:

It’s always fun to return to the A/I World. I don’t think we knew where Guardian Angels came from before. I guess I thought they were born into the job or something. So now it’s something to aspire to! Hey, I’m Agnostic, this makes just as much sense as any other fairytale!  ;–)


Thanks, we having fun there too. Borrowing the Cupid Central characters for my A.I. story was great,  but writing together is even better.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 2/14/2019 at 10:43 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Great to see something from you again, and it's tied in with a truly 'imp'ressive storyline.

Just gotta say it with the evidence above: something smells rotten in the state of Denmark.  Sorry....  :(


Thanks, buddy. I'm glad you found the story. This time I have Aditus to help me keep those Cupids in line. :lol: 
There is definitely something fishy going on. :X 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 2/15/2019 at 7:31 AM, Headstall said:

Oh... I like this a lot! I love this idea of an afterlife where heroes can still be heroes. Hunky angels... even better. So... not to jump ahead, but I'm thinking Death is looking for excuses to see Diego. His job has to suck, so maybe an angel man is just what he needs.... At any rate, this is a refreshing concept, and of course written with humor and flair. Kudos on the collaboration, guys. I look forward to the unfolding of this little mystery. Cheers... Gary....

 

Thanks, Gary, I'm glad you like the idea of hunky heroes becoming hunky angels. Maybe those yummy pics in the CotT topic inspired me to come up with Diego. Luckily, Aditus was delighted with the idea of Sablo having an older brother, and the collaboration sort of took off from there. We'll see where we end up and what Death is up to.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Nicely done! I love your AI world, as you know, and am quite happy to see it expanding.  

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

Just wait @aditus will start you on German soon. :rofl: 

Somewhere back in history someone started taxing the spaces between words in German – or maybe the Vikings stole them all. Those are the only explanations that make sense. Why else would they create such long and unwieldy words?  ;–)

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Kitt said:

Nicely done! I love your AI world, as you know, and am quite happy to see it expanding.  

 

Thanks, Kitt, I'm glad you persuaded me to give the A.I. team their own story. :heart:  And partnering with @aditus and the Cupid Central world make this ten times the fun.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, droughtquake said:

Somewhere back in history someone started taxing the spaces between words in German – or maybe the Vikings stole them all. Those are the only explanations that make sense. Why else would they create such long and unwieldy words?  ;–)

 

They're a bit short of vowels too. :lol:  But Danish has a (compound) word with seven consonants in a row: ANGSTSKRIG (scream of fright). :lmao:

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

They're a bit short of vowels too. :lol:  But Danish has a (compound) word with seven consonants in a row: ANGSTSKRIG (scream of fright). :lmao:

Languages like Hawaiian and Japanese have long words because they have fewer phonemes (sounds) to create them out of – and even so, Japanese seems to have many homonyms that can only be told apart by context or the Kanji (Chinese characters) used.  ;–)

Link to comment
On 2/16/2019 at 5:56 PM, droughtquake said:

Somewhere back in history someone started taxing the spaces between words in German – or maybe the Vikings stole them all. Those are the only explanations that make sense. Why else would they create such long and unwieldy words?  ;–)

Well, that would have been the Celts, not the Vikings. :P. And we choose to use long words. It's much faster than long sentences or several sentences. Always in a hurry we are LOL.  What about  Treueeid? Try that. Lots of vowels, :facepalm:

Edited by aditus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..