Jump to content
    Timothy M.
  • Author
  • 2,637 Words
  • 2,559 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Diego’s Dance with Death - 16. Two Brothers Go on a Double Date

Theo's POV and italics are his thoughts. The first part of the chapter will make more sense if you read A Hell of a Mess first.

After the picnic Theo stayed away from CC for a couple of days. But based on some consulting with Sablo, Diego, and Azrael, he decided to take the bull, AKA Ayil, by the horns. After all, he hadn’t done anything wrong; he’d just done his damn job.

This early in the morning, Cupid Central was still deserted. Inhaling deeply, he pressed down the handle and opened the door to Ayil’s office. Relieved his commander wasn’t in yet, he contemplated what to do next. While he looked around the room, his barely suppressed inner rant started again. How could Ayil, commander of the Cupids, be angry with him for following fucking protocol? Theo stomped over to Ayil’s desk, leaving mud clumps on the pristine, light gray carpet everywhere he went. As if he’d take off his shoes today. No one really cared for proper conduct, right? Even the boss. He threw himself on Ayil’s chair, put his feet on the desk in front him, crossed them at the ankles, and waited for his commander.

Fifteen minutes later, Theo heard Ayil scolding Diniel outside. It seemed he was in a bad mood. Good!

“Theliel! Get out of my chair ASAP!”

In slow motion, Theo did what he was told, drawling, “Mornin’, boss.”

“You are on nestling duty for the foreseeable future!”

“Why?”

Staring at his Cupid incredulously, Ayil sputtered, “Be-because you shot me! Us!”

“I get punished for doing my job properly? Your and Ariel’s auras match perfectly. Multiple tests leave no doubt of this. THEY summoned me to test you and gave me two gold-tipped silver arrows. Instead of being happy for getting a chance of finding true love you punish me? Don’t you have better things to do? For example, helping a certain Roman to mend his heart?”

“Uh—”

“That’s what I thought.” After swiping dried mud from the desktop to the floor, Theliel left the room. He had another appointment this morning.

***

Theo hurried through the park, balancing two reusable to-go mugs and a small paper bag in his hands. He stopped at the entrance to the rose garden and looked around until he spotted the lone figure sitting on one of the benches facing the angel fountain. While several people occupied the other ones, his friend had the bench to himself.

“Hey.” Azrael looked up and smiled when he heard Theo. The cupid passed him one of the mugs. “Tea?”

Azrael nodded, took the mug, and opened the lid. After sniffing the steaming beverage, he hummed appreciatively. “Your own Chai recipe?”

“Yes.” Theliel waved the paper bag around. “A.I. cookie?”

Azrael eyed the bag warily, and Theo grinned. ”Freshly baked, lint-free A.I. cookie?”

“With chocolate?”

“Of course.” Theo sipped his coffee. “How’s silvered life so far?”

Azrael’s immediate smile seemed to light up the entire park. “Perfect.”

Theliel grinned like the cat who got the cream. “What did you want to talk about?”

Azrael played with the hem of his shirt. “What do you think about doing a double date?”

“Great idea!”

“Really?”

“Absolutely. What do you have in mind?”

Azrael ducked his head. “Diego suggested sightseeing when he heard I haven’t seen much of Earth. He’s been taking me to some wonderful places in North America and Europe. I want to do something for him in return. I thought I’d surprise him with planning a trip too, and I’ve looked up nice places to visit. I could use help, though. Sablo and Diego are pretty close, right?”

“Absolutely.”

“So how about we take our men on a nice trip?”

Theo glared at his friend. “Somewhere comfortable and warm. Not fucking Iceland, hot pools or not.”

“Somewhere exotic then?”

“No boats either, otherwise you’ll watch Sablo puke his guts out.”

“No thanks, not again.” Azrael tapped his lips rhythmically with a finger. “What about Mauritius? Tamarind Falls?”

“Um...That wasn’t a spontaneous idea.”

“I found this place in my research. It’s gorgeous there, and Diego loves my garden and unspoiled nature. We could hike down along the falls or something and maybe enjoy the beach later.”

“I should warn you, I’m not exactly an organized planner either, not like our boys, ex-military, ex-police and stuff.” After a short pause, Theliel nodded. “Let’s gather more information and meet here again tomorrow the same time.”

The next day they decided Mauritius was the perfect choice. They would aim for nine am to avoid other visitors. Azrael assured Theo it would be OK to jump ten to twelve hours ahead, depending on local departure time.

“Can we make it a surprise trip? I know Sablo. If I tell him beforehand, he’ll want to check everything and probably go over every detail with his brother.”

“Yes, I’ve also noticed Diego’s meticulous attention to detail. He prepares every mission very carefully.”

“Let’s avoid excessive discussions and planning. If we simply ‘port them to a viewpoint at the falls, the guys will have to cope.”

“Very well, I’ll check with Commander Ariel when our partners have a day off.”

“Very brave of you. I prefer to keep a low profile for a while yet.” Theo shuddered. Confronting Ayil is one thing, but the angry Roman gives me the willies.

***

Three days later, they were ready to carry out the plan. Azrael had insisted they needed rucksacks, saying it was the only way to do a trip. Theliel forced himself not to roll his eyes at his friend’s conditions. He made four big sandwiches and added a bag of chips, another one of Az’ stipulations. Two bottles of water, two towels, swimming trunks, and sunglasses as well as Sablo’s hiking shorts and shoes. Rucksack by his feet, he waited for his partner to come home.

The Angel of Death hid in the master bathroom of his new house, nervously wriggling his toes, testing the feel of the heavy hiking boots and thick socks. He and Theo had chosen almost identical outfits, except for the color of the shirts. His was white, Theo’s bright purple.

Azrael couldn’t wait to see Diego’s expression when he first saw where he’d ‘ported them. Compulsively opening and closing one of the many pockets of his pants, he tried not to talk himself out of the double date surprise.

“Azrael? Are you here?” Diego was home and in their bedroom by the sound of it.

Azrael felt like his throat had closed up. He couldn’t bring himself to say anything, but managed to send off the agreed sign to Theo. At last, he took a deep breath, grabbed the rucksack, stormed into the bedroom, and tapped his lover on the shoulder.

Just when his partner entered the living room, Theo felt a mental nudge. Perfect timing. He quickly got up from the sofa and hoisted his rucksack onto his shoulder.

Sablo frowned at him. “Hey, are you going out? I thought we were having a movie night.”

Instead of replying, he kissed his lover hello, and ‘ported them to a viewpoint that overlooked a lush green canyon with several waterfalls and a beautiful lake. Nice. And it’s warm too.

Sablo stared around and raised his eyebrows at him, probably ready to ask a million questions, when they heard a familiar ‘pop’. They turned around, and their mouths dropped open on seeing Azrael standing beside Diego, who was only wearing pajama bottoms.

Sablo recovered first. “I’m glad to see you’re even less prepared for this trip than me. Or perhaps you were expecting another kind of exercise?”

Theo collapsed against his partner in helpless giggles as Azrael turned red, and Diego told his brother to ‘shut the fuck up’.

Both Guardians looked around to make sure they were alone before changing into the shorts, socks and boots their lovers had brought for them. When Theo whistled appreciatively at the sight of the black jock that outlined Diego’s muscular butt very flatteringly, his three companions all gave him unamused looks.

“What? I’m faithful in love, not blind. Sablo’s butt is still the most handsome one I’ve ever seen – and it’s all mine.”

His lover tried to smack his ass, but Theo dodged away and laughed at him. “You can’t deny it, ‘cause I have that in writing.”

“Whatever. Can we get on with this? I assume we’re meant to hike down to the lake?”

Azrael nodded and looked beseechingly at his partner, who was standing with his arms crossed.

“I wanted to take you somewhere beautiful and relaxing, and I thought you might like to share the experience with your brother. After all, you haven’t had much time to do things together, either, after being drafted as Guardians.”

Diego immediately smiled at his lover. “It was a good idea, and you’ve found a fantastic spot. Let’s enjoy the view for a bit, before we start walking down.”

He took Azrael’s hand and led him off to one side of the cliff edge, where they stood close together, talking in low voices, pointing at the waterfalls and sharing a few kisses.

Sablo didn’t quite roll his eyes, but he did sigh and shake his head. “At least we weren’t this silly and infatuated right after we got arrowed.”

“I think it’s sweet and romantic.” Theo crossed his arms and turned to look at the view. It really was stunning.

Two strong arms encircled him from behind. “I’m sorry, Theo. You know I love you, but I’m useless at the romantic stuff. Diego is the same, so it’s a little strange to see him like this.”

“Like what? Reassuring his lover when he’s feeling insecure? Showing affection to someone who has been starved of intimacy for centuries? Or simply admitting he enjoys other things in life apart from Guardian duty and sex?”

“Hey, that’s unfair. I like doing things with you out of bed.”

“Oh yeah? Making out on the couch? Blowjobs in the kitchen?”

“I like those too, but I love watching you cook and trying the result when you find a new recipe. Watching a movie together, laughing about the funny scenes, and comforting you when you cry over the sad parts.”

“Go on.”

“I enjoyed choosing our kittens together, playing with them at the animal shelter, and deciding which ones we liked. Seeing you laugh at their antics and cuddle with them on the floor.”

“Choosing Amor and Atlas together was a wonderful day. Thank you for making it possible.”

“I like being here together, feeling your body against mine, and sharing the awesome view. I’m grateful you arranged a double date with Diego, because I want to see more of him and get to know his partner. I love you for always knowing what I need and for making me the happiest angel in the universe.”

Theo turned around and smothered Sablo with the hottest kiss he could manage, considering they were dressed and standing up. The rest of the reward for his declaration of love would have to wait till later.

“When you’re done sticking your tongue down my brother’s throat, we should go down to the lake. Azrael says the first hikers will be here an hour from now.”

Theo waved his hand dismissively and ‘ported Sablo and himself to the viewing area at base of the main waterfall. His lover stumbled a bit on landing and let go to look around in surprise. Theo grinned at him.

“Why spend ages walking down and getting all hot and bothered when you can take a shortcut? This way we can get to the beach faster.”

“Diego and I like hiking. The descent looked quite challenging.”

“Feel free to ‘port back up there. You can tell Azrael to join me, and we’ll wait for you here.”

“You’re sure you won’t mind?”

“Of course not, and I bet Az will be pleased with the idea too.”

This proved to be the case, and the two friends relaxed and chatted while their guys did all the hard work. At one point the Angel of Death had to disappear on official duty, but he was back before Diego arrived and none of them told him. No need to spoil their double date with work matters.

They ate their lunch at the beach, and Theo tried to persuade everyone to skinny dip, since Azrael could make sure they’d be invisible. But his companions refused, and Azrael opted to stay in the shade under the parasol and let the other three go swimming. Later, he took a walk along the beach with Diego, padding barefoot in the low water and admitting he enjoyed the feeling. Theo and Sablo took a nap in the shade after making out for a bit.

Their double date ended with a surprise. Azrael and Diego had a quick conversation when the topic of dinner came up. Diego left, and Azrael took Sablo and Theo’s hands and ‘ported them to his place, making the latter gasp in surprise.

“Ooh! We’re in your garden! I didn’t know you had a house too. Are you sure it’s OK for us to be here?”

Sablo stared at him in surprise. “Haven’t you been here before? Why wouldn’t it be OK?”

“Azrael’s garden is outside time and normal space. No one has been here before, well, except Diego, I guess. Do you live here together now?”

“Yes, and it’s not outside time any longer, but still restricted access. Diego moved in here the day you shot us, and that’s when the house came into existence too. Until then, I slept in the garden.”

Before they could ask more questions, Azrael got busy with showing them around, and they took advantage of the guest bathroom facilities. When they returned, he handed them plates, wine glasses, and napkins, and pointed towards the porch. At the same time his partner popped in with several boxes of delicious Italian pizza and two bottles of red wine.

“Let’s eat outside, and later we can go for a walk in the garden.”

“I met Achim at the pizza place and guess what he told me?” Diego said, while opening a pizza carton.

Theo frowned. “Who’s Achim?”

“A fellow Guardian. He had a mission that took him to Rome yesterday. He swears he saw Ayil and Ariel visiting the Colosseum. Ariel appeared to be explaining everything to him.”

“Ariel went back to Rome?” Azrael whispered.

“I thought he said he would never return there,” Sablo interjected.

“Maybe Ayil has his own methods of persuasion.” Theo smiled at the others. “I think getting to know where and how Ariel lived with his family is a great way to help Ariel accept his new life. Ayil shows him he is interested in his past, that he doesn’t want to erase it but add to it.”

“I’m guessing both Guardians and Cupids will be relieved if our commanders make up their differences. But it will be strange to see Ariel happy,” Sablo mused. “We’re so used to him scowling and snapping at us.”

“If the bosses get along, maybe cupids and guardians will mix more too. I might have a chance to shoot more silver arrows.”

“Rahmiel and Diniel looked like they were checking out the possibilities at Diego’s ceremony.” Sablo rolled his eyes when Theo giggled.

“Were they? I didn’t notice.”

“I’m not surprised, bro. All you had eyes and ears for was Azrael.”

“I…um…well, he’s much handsomer than Ariel.”

“I bet Ayil doesn’t agree. Not after being silver struck by Theo.”

“Well, you should know all about having your eyes opened to the perfect partner you were ignoring.”

Azrael and Theo rolled their eyes and smiled at each other as the amiable bickering of the brothers continued while the two couples enjoyed the hot pizza, the excellent red wine, and the beauty of the garden.

It was the perfect end to their first double date.

We hope you enjoyed this story. We certainly had fun writing it. Our gratitude to @Valkyrie for her editing and helpful beta suggestions.
Copyright © 2019 Timothy M., aditus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 18
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Quote

We hope you enjoyed this story. We certainly had fun writing it. Our gratitude to @Valkyrie for her editing and helpful beta suggestions.

I hope this is not your way of saying the story has ended!

I see it’s still listed as In Progress
;–)

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I hope this is not your way of saying the story has ended!

I see it’s still listed as In Progress
;–)

Yes this was the last chapter. As for why the status has not changed to Complete, see the Help topic I just posted. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment

Porting would make things so much easier when traveling! No more, ‘Are we there yet?’ No cramped airplane seats or TSA checks. No seasickness.
;–)

Of course if everybody could do it, how would you prevent two or more people from porting into the very same spot? Would you end up inside someone else? Would you get bumped – and what exactly would that mean? Would you end up in a random location? Would you end up next to the other person? Would you end up back where you started from? Would you get sent to Denmark?
;–)

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

Yes this was the last chapter. As for why the status has not changed to Complete, see the Help topic I just posted. 

You two just cause trouble wherever you go! Are you sure it’s not the Imp trying to prevent you from ending the story?
;–)

Link to comment
1 hour ago, droughtquake said:

Are you sure it’s not the Imp trying to prevent you from ending the story?
;–)

:blink:  Hmm, you may be on to something there... Does that mean I can also blame Imp for my OTHER Incomplete stories ? :lmao: 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

Does that mean I can also blame Imp for my OTHER Incomplete stories ? :lmao: 

Naturally!
;–)

Link to comment

Aah. What a nice place to end.....

 

and leave the readers wanting more. 

But maybe you will have time now to finish Michael, Peter and Patrick's story. Hint Hint. 

  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

i really like how they get to enjoy 'earthly' pleasures like pizza and wine and fashion and such. it lets me relate to their everyday lives more easily. i've said it before, and i'll say it again. you guys have done a great job with this collaboration. i especially like the humor woven into each chapter. diego and azreal are great additions to this combined supernatural world you've created and fleshed out. just awesome!

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Nice to see them forming their own little band of brothers. I'm sure there will be many more double dates in the future. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Puppilull said:

I'm sure there will be many more double dates in the future. 

Not triple dates?
;–)

Link to comment

I'm glad I heeded the note to read aditus' story first...I'd never have put Ariel and Ayil even remotely in the group of possible matches.  I hope it works out.
The double date was nicely done, still having your mix of humor and romance.  The only stumbling block is Italian pizza as I've only seen it on cooking shows, and it's a far cry from what I'm used to--just can't picture it without pepperoni and lots of cheese.  :)

  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
On 6/10/2019 at 2:09 AM, Parker Owens said:

Awesome chapter! You took us right along  with these wonderful, timeless lovers. 

Thank you , Parker. I'm glad you enjoyed the story and approved of the brothers and their partners.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 6/10/2019 at 9:52 AM, Pedro1954 said:

Aah. What a nice place to end.....

and leave the readers wanting more. 

But maybe you will have time now to finish Michael, Peter and Patrick's story. Hint Hint. 

Thanks, Pedro. We also thought the double date was a god place to leave the brothers for now. 

Yes, yes, I'm slowly getting the next Cardmaker chapter written. My muse is still a bit sluggish, though.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 6/10/2019 at 7:36 PM, Headstall said:

i really like how they get to enjoy 'earthly' pleasures like pizza and wine and fashion and such. it lets me relate to their everyday lives more easily. i've said it before, and i'll say it again. you guys have done a great job with this collaboration. i especially like the humor woven into each chapter. diego and azrael are great additions to this combined supernatural world you've created and fleshed out. just awesome!

Thank you, Gary. As usual you put your finger on something very essential. Azrael has been lost in the humdrum of duty for centuries and Diego for decades. Sablo got a break when Theo entered his life, and now his brother has the chance to explore those 'earthly pleasures' with Azrael. They both deserve it.

Your praise of the collaboration is welcome. @aditus and I enjoyed writing together,  and if our readers like the result I'm sure we'll find more opportunities in the future.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 6/10/2019 at 7:42 PM, Puppilull said:

Nice to see them forming their own little band of brothers. I'm sure there will be many more double dates in the future. 

Thank, Puppi. Yes, they're well on their way to be a close group of friends / family, and once Sablo gets over his initial reaction to his brother dating the Angel of Death, they'll have a great time together.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 6/10/2019 at 10:10 PM, droughtquake said:

Not triple dates?
;–)

Are you suggesting they invite their bosses ? :o  Or are you thinking of Rahmiel finally snagging a Guardian ? :P 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

@ColumbusGuy  I'm glad you gave Aditus' anthology story a chance. I got to contribute with some A.I. antics. Yeah, Ayil and Ariel were an even more unlikely match than Sablo and Theo, but the arrows seem to have done their job. I'm glad you liked the double date, and thank you for saying the mix of fun and love was good.

The Italian pizza - well, maybe it means something different here. The main idea was to say Diego went to the best pizza place he knew - which could be an Italian place in New York, for all I know.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

Are you suggesting they invite their bosses ? :o  Or are you thinking of Rahmiel finally snagging a Guardian ? :P 

No, the brothers and their dates plus Angie & the Imp!
;–)

Link to comment
19 hours ago, droughtquake said:

No, the brothers and their dates plus Angie & the Imp!
;–)

:rofl:  I may have to write that.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Story Reader said:

Wow! So glad both couples are happy together!

It took a lot of work, though. :P Very unruly the entire lot.

  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..