Jump to content
    Timothy M.
  • Author
  • 1,957 Words
  • 3,007 Views
  • 26 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Diego’s Dance with Death - 3. Two Brothers Meet the Matchmaker

Cupids and Guardian Angels don’t always see eye to eye.

“This is Cupid Central?” Diego looked at the gleaming white toilet with the grab rails on its left and right.

“Don’t be stupid. This is the handicapped stall in the bathroom of the bar across from CC. We can’t simply plop in there as we do with Guardian Central. Only Cupids can do that.”

“Oh.”

“Yes, ‘oh’. Really, bro? Picture what would happen if one of their flighty boys or girls just dropped into GC’s breakroom.”

“You’re right. I wasn’t thinking. It would cause mayhem.”

They quickly left the place, crossed the street, and entered CC’s lobby. When Horace, their security man, spotted Sablo, he smiled directly at him, then looked Diego up and down. “Sablo, what are you doing here? Isn’t it a bit early to pick up Theliel?”

“I’m here on official matters today.”

“Okay, but remember you need visitor badges before you can go up.”

Sablo abruptly stopped on his way to the bank of elevators at the end of the lobby. “Visitor badges? Where do I get those?”

“At the reception desk.” The ‘Duh,’ he left unsaid.

“Of course. Thank you, Horace.” Sablo looked around until he spotted the pretty receptionist watching them expectantly.

“Come on, Diego.” With his brother in tow, he briskly walked over. “Hi, we need two visitor badges as we’re here to deliver an important message.”

“You can leave the message here with me. I’ll make sure they’ll get it.”

“Er... no, we have to hand it over personally.” Diego held the folded paper up.

“What? Do you think you can wave any piece of paper around and I’ll let you go up?”

Sablo had about enough of bureaucracy for the morning and whipped out his GC-ID card. “Will this do?”

“Why didn’t you say you’re with GC?”

“Who else would we be?” The silent ‘Duh’ was even more obvious as Sablo gestured to their weapons and his brother’s combat gear.

Five minutes later, they held their badges in hand, swiped them over the reader inside the elevator, and were on their way. After a short ride, the doors opened with a melodic ‘ding’, and they stood in front of yet another reception desk.

“Be still my heart! Guardians!” Rahmiel cooed.

Diego blushed and waved shyly. “Hey, Rahmiel.”

Sablo rolled his eyes in his best Theo manner, passed his brother impatiently, and leaned against the reception table. “We have a message for your boss from our boss.”

“From ‘cool as cucumber’ Ariel?”

“Precisely.”

“Amadeus! Take over the reception desk for me!” Rahmiel waited for the other angel to step out of their breakroom before he walked around the desk and waved his hand for the brothers to follow him. “What is the message about?”

Sablo snorted. “It’s confidential.”

“Ah come on, you can tell me.” Rahmiel looked over his shoulder while hurrying along the hallway and promptly ran into Theliel.

“Ouch! Rahmiel!” and a short moment later, “Sablo! What are you doing here? Did something happen? Do you have a mission?” Then his gaze fell on Diego. He narrowed his eyes at his lover. “Look at you two! Might this be that elusive brother of yours, my love? The fellow Guardian Angel you keep telling me is too busy to visit?”

Sablo rubbed his hands over his thighs nervously. “Theliel, meet Diego. Diego, Theo.”

Theo looked at the tablet in his hand and adjusted the quiver on his back. “I must go.” Then he pointed his finger at Sablo. “You will bring him for dinner tonight, or there will be consequences.”

“Uh-oh. Dire.” Rahmiel grinned. He knocked hard on a silver portal and waited, until a muffled ‘Come in’ could be heard. Then he energetically opened the doors. “Boss, here are the Guardians Sablo and Diego Fuentes with a message from Ariel.”

Ayil raised his auburn eyebrows. “A message from Ariel?”

Sablo waited until nosy Rahmiel had left the room. “It’s about your request to read Diego’s aura.”

“You read the message! That’s against protocol!”

“It wasn’t sealed.”

“I beg your pardon? Etiquette dictates private correspondence should stay so.”

“But this isn’t a private love note. It’s an official request, and my brother is the topic. Commander Ariel suggested you’d be able to enlighten us as to the reason why.”

“It’s against proper protocol to reveal aura testing to the subjects.”

“But Commander Ariel—

“Doesn’t know what he’s talking about. This is strictly Cupid Central business. Next time he should stick with Guardian Central working procedures. Do I interfere with his responsibilities? No. Assign his Guardians randomly? No.” He grabbed a tablet from his desk and tapped violently with his fingers on the screen. “Unbelievable. Disturbs the proper order of the evaluation process,” he muttered. Swiping several screens to and fro he suddenly stopped mid-motion, and a sly grin appeared on his face.

“I see here you’re up for an impressive award, Diego. My, my... one more and you have completed one hundred special assignments.” With his finger hovering over the screen Ayil asked, “Say, who will be the official observer who confirms you actually completed your one hundredth order? Ariel?”

Diego shrugged, “Sablo wanted to accompany me this time.”

“Sablo?” Ayil scoffed. “He’s your brother. That isn’t acceptable.” With a decided last tap, he looked up from the tablet. “I will observe this important mission personally in my function as division commander.” While he put away the device, the brothers heard a murmured, “Take that, Commander Ariel. Let’s see how you like it when another division interferes with your area of responsibility.”

They shared a look saying it was better not to antagonize the irascible redhead any further. Ayil might be short and cute looking, but those green eyes could hit you like a laser. Even the exuberant Rahmiel had shown nothing but deferential respect towards the Cupid Central boss.

“It will be an honor, Commander,” Diego said respectfully. Sablo was already backing away and had his hand on the door handle, when Ayil looked up.

“Quite right, and your accomplishment has attracted attention from the highest circles. Your brother would do well to learn from your example.”

“No need; you already did your worst.” Sablo held the left door open for Diego, who strode out fast, and he cut off Ayil’s roar of anger by slamming the door shut.

“It’s lucky all the cupids have already been sent out on assignment, or they might have needed Guardian Angels,” Rahmiel quipped as he popped up next to Diego. “So, what was all the fuss about? You look like you could do with some stress relief. How about meeting me at the bar in one hour when I go off shift?”

“I could use a beer.”

“Or something stronger?” Rahmiel playfully elbowed Diego’s side. “And then you can tell me all about this!”

“Diego! I thought I heard your voice.” Diniel came bustling around the corner with a group of giggling cupid nestlings in her wake. “How is my favorite Guardian?”

Diego looked a little panicked, so Sablo tried to intercept the excited cupid.

“I thought I was your favorite Guardian?”

“Nestlings! Target practice,” Diniel yelled and pointed at Sablo. Moments later, he was peppered with the harmless arrows of the young cupids, and Diniel swerved around him to get to her target.

Rahmiel stared open-mouthed as Sablo batted away tiny white arrows. “Diniel! Are you crazy? Do you want Ayil to give you another three months of watching the nestlings for unbecoming behavior?”

That instantly made her stop hugging Diego’s arm and making small purring noises. She blanched and looked down at her jeans and sweater which were stained with juice, crumbs and crayon lines. “Shit, no!” Quickly, she helped Sablo detangle arrows from his hair. “I don’t know what I was thinking! So sorry, Sablo.” To the curiously-watching nestlings she asked, “Who wants Angel and Imp cookies?”

“YAAAAAY!” The entire horde vanished in a stampede around the next corner. The two Guardians made a quick exit too, Rahmiel’s ‘See you later, D.’ following them into the elevator.

Down in the lobby, Sablo only nodded briefly at Horace so as not to be forced into another lengthy conversation, and quickly pulled his brother outside. “Let’s sum up what we accomplished with this visit.”

“That’s easy. We upset Theliel.” Diego held one finger up. “Delivered the message as ordered.” He added a second finger— “You aggravated Ayil”— a third finger, “and, in consequence, all the Cupids who’ll have to suffer through his shitty mood the rest of today.” —a fourth finger. “Did I forget something?”

“You got yourself a date!”

“It’s only a drink with Rahmiel.”

“Uh-huh.”

“And we found out nothing about the other test- er... subject. Plus, firecracker Ayil will be present at my next mission. We did tremendously, wouldn’t you say?”

“I admit it could have gone better. But don’t you find it suspicious the CC boss will be present to watch you and Azrael together?”

“I would if he hadn’t been so pissed off. The commander may regret not sealing that note.”

“Whatever. Now, about that beer.”

“Oh no. You will go home and think about something that will smooth Theliel’s ruffled feathers. A homemade dinner with his favorites, and for after, a sophisticated dessert.”

“You think?”

“I think. And I’ll buy some nice red wine to celebrate my first visit to your new place.”

“Well, there is this baker’s place in London. They’re famous for the most scrumptious cakes for special occasions.” Sablo already had his phone out as he hurried off. “See you at seven tonight! I’ll text you the address. Bring Rahmiel, if you want.”

***

An hour later, Diego leaned against the bar with Rahmiel standing beside him. “I’m feeling like several lemon drops after that stunt you and Sablo pulled. There was no appeasing the boss for the rest of the shift. Luckily for the next lot, Ayil went home early.”

“I’m sorry. Sablo was in protector mode.”

”And who or what did he want to protect?” Rahmiel had to yell as the patrons were extremely loud and lively that afternoon.

“Me, mostly.”

“And why is that?”

“I can’t tell you.”

“Oh, come on....” Rahmiel stretched up on his toes so he could put his head on Diego’s shoulder and nuzzle his neck. Almost immediately, he shivered and stepped back. The loudest group at the table in the corner fell silent. When Diego looked over, he thought he detected a tall, slim figure in a hooded cloak sitting with them.

“Ugh, something turned my spine to ice. If cupids were mortal, I’d use that human saying.”

“Someone walked over your grave?”

“Yeah, that’s the one. Though, how can humans feel what happens in the future?”

“You know Guardian Angels are mostly former humans?”

“You are? Wow. Did you die?”

“I’m not sure, actually. I’ve never looked for our graves. But Sablo and I were definitely dying when we got picked.”

“But you’re immortal now, right? Sablo got shot with a silver arrow, and it would be tough on Theliel if his true love didn’t live forever too.”

“I’ve never thought about it, but I assume we must be. I guess it’s up to Azrael, ultimately.” Did the cloaked and hooded figure give a small start, as Diego named the Angel of Death? Was it who he suspected?

“Eeek. Don’t say that name,” Rahmiel whispered. “You-know-who might appear if you do.”

Diego realized a pool of dead silence was spreading through the bar. Some patrons were drinking up and leaving, others huddled together and spoke in hushed voices. The bar owner was scowling in the direction of the figure who was now sitting alone in the corner.

“Thanks for the beer, Rahmiel. There’s someone I need to talk to.”

Thank you to @Pedro1954 for the nestlings with arrows idea.
Copyright © 2019 Timothy M., aditus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Poor @Mikiesboy! Another redhead to avoid! But I thank you @Timothy M. and @aditus! This one’s probably more age appropriate for me anyway…  ;–)

 

I’m surprised that Guardian Angels and Cupids need to use the restroom. But I guess if they eat, they have to get rid of it somehow. If you have one, you have to have the other!  ;–)

 

Does Diego have a scar on his forehead?  ;–)

Link to comment

I very much enjoyed this chapter, with its flirty yet bureaucratic cupids, death in the corner of the bar, and best of all, nestlings. Thank you for the smiles you brought me today. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

All good fun. Hopefully his being used as a pincushion helps Theo and the other cupids put up with Sablo putting the boss in a bad mood.

Is Diego going to miss his meal with Theo and Sablo or turn up with an extra guest?

 

Thank you to @Pedro1954 for the nestlings with arrows idea. - Will Angie lend me his halo polish, please?

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Okay, I have no idea where this is heading, but I'm hooked.  I don't like the way Diego is being manipulated, and I hope Sablo raises all kinds of hell and some people in high positions get their butts roasted.  I only hope that the poor children Diego has been given would have died anyway, and at least he can comfort them in their final moments.

I have the impression that since the Big Guy seems remote, the lower admins are becoming reckless and a bit abusive with their power....

Keep us guessing min ven!

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

An interesting conversation ahead! Or...? 

 

A very difficult place to get a straight answer. Lying by omission is apparently not a sin. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
23 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Poor @Mikiesboy! Another redhead to avoid! But I thank you @Timothy M. and @aditus! This one’s probably more age appropriate for me anyway…  ;–)

 

I’m surprised that Guardian Angels and Cupids need to use the restroom. But I guess if they eat, they have to get rid of it somehow. If you have one, you have to have the other!  ;–)

 

Does Diego have a scar on his forehead?  ;–)

 

I'm not sure any human is age appropriate for Ayil, who might be seen as cradle robbing even a 70-year-old guy. :lol: 

 

No @aditus stories without delicious food - and Sablo and Theo got shot when meeting for a drink in the very same bar. 

However, my A.I. team don't eat or drink, because they're different categories of beings. No wonder you're confused. 

 

Not sure what your question about the scar is about.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
22 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

I very much enjoyed this chapter, with its flirty yet bureaucratic cupids, death in the corner of the bar, and best of all, nestlings. Thank you for the smiles you brought me today. 

 

You're welcome. Aditus and I were looking forward to seeing what readers would think of this chapter. Flirty yet bureaucratic cupids is a very good description of the Cupid Central crowd. :lol:  We loved writing the nestling encounter.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, Kitt said:

Why do I get the feeling Sablo is going to get Diego onto trouble before this is done?

 

:X :whistle:  Why, Sablo would never get his brother into trouble. 0:) :rofl:

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
On 2/28/2019 at 10:09 PM, Pedro1954 said:

All good fun. Hopefully his being used as a pincushion helps Theo and the other cupids put up with Sablo putting the boss in a bad mood.

Is Diego going to miss his meal with Theo and Sablo or turn up with an extra guest?

Thank you to @Pedro1954 for the nestlings with arrows idea. - Will Angie lend me his halo polish, please?

Since Angie may not need halo polish for much longer, I'm sure you can borrow some. :lol: 

I'm not sure cupids will consider a bit of nestling target practice enough payment for pissing Ayil off. I'm glad you liked how we ran with your idea.

As for your question :X  :gikkle:

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Headstall said:

Um... is death coming to dinner? :D  Loved this, guys. The story just gets better and better. It was great the way you showed Azrael's presence in the bar with Rahmiel's sudden shiver when he nuzzled Diego's neck. Jealous much? he he. Excellent! Cheers... Gary....

 

Finally, finally I get to :X you. :lol: 

Yes, I think Azrael will not be happy with anyone trying to cozy up to Diego. But I wonder what the cupid thinks about being abandoned all of a sudden.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

Okay, I have no idea where this is heading, but I'm hooked.  I don't like the way Diego is being manipulated, and I hope Sablo raises all kinds of hell and some people in high positions get their butts roasted.  I only hope that the poor children Diego has been given would have died anyway, and at least he can comfort them in their final moments.

I have the impression that since the Big Guy seems remote, the lower admins are becoming reckless and a bit abusive with their power....

Keep us guessing min ven!

 

Ohhh, interesting how you get all protective about Diego, I like that. I'm sure Sablo would love to roast some high up butts, but he may regret it if both the A's get angry with him.

You'll learn more about the special missions, but yes, those poor kids had a very high risk of death or mental trauma, which was exactly why Diego became their Guardian Angel. His presence and the comfort he gave, made a huge difference.

No Big Guy, but there are some Higher Powers. But you're right about them being remote.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Puppilull said:

An interesting conversation ahead! Or...? 

 

A very difficult place to get a straight answer. Lying by omission is apparently not a sin. 

 

LOL, no grilling by lawyers to find the truth. And no talk about sin, either, only humans plagued by religious nonsense invented that. 

Stay tuned for the next chapter, but until then :X  (I'm going to run out of those).

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
31 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

Not sure what your question about the scar is about.

A lightning bolt scar? Another guy who wasn’t afraid to speak a name no one else dared utter? Harry Potter?  ;–)

 

15 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

And no talk about sin, either, only humans plagued by religious nonsense invented that. 

Plus the ones who are most obsessed about sin are much more concerned about the sins others appear to be committing than their own sins!  ;–)

Link to comment
3 hours ago, droughtquake said:

A lightning bolt scar? Another guy who wasn’t afraid to speak a name no one else dared utter? Harry Potter?  ;–)

 

Plus the ones who are most obsessed about sin are much more concerned about the sins others appear to be committing than their own sins!  ;–)

 

Ahh, of course. No, not everyone is afraid of saying Azrael's name. Rahmiel is being a little silly here.

I agree completely with your sin observation. :yes:  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 2/28/2019 at 10:03 PM, Kitt said:

Why do I get the feeling Sablo is going to get Diego onto trouble before this is done?

I just had an idea! Thank you, Kitt. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mfa607 said:

Death is coming to dinner? Thank you for this great chapter!  

 

Wouldn't that be a great chapter title. Actually, Døden kommer til middag is the name of a Danish murder mystery movie from 1964.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Hmm. You two do love to stir up trouble. By chance Tim, are the brothers based on you and Adi? LOL.

 

Your cupids are something else. One moment all flirty and sweet, the next strictly business. 

 

Sablo is going to get himself into deep trouble if Diego missed dinner.

 

I keep thinking of Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracey in Guess who's coming to dinner? Somehow, instead of Sidney Poitier,  I think Azreal will be there. I just dont see Diego as the sweet, forthright Katharine Houghton. Regardless,  this should be very entertaining. 

Edited by comicfan
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 3/6/2019 at 1:13 AM, comicfan said:

Hmm. You two do love to stir up trouble. By chance Tim, are the brothers based on you and Adi? LOL.

Your cupids are something else. One moment all flirty and sweet, the next strictly business. 

Sablo is going to get himself into deep trouble if Diego missed dinner.

I keep thinking of Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracey in Guess who's coming to dinner? Somehow, instead of Sidney Poitier,  I think Azreal will be there. I just dont see Diego as the sweet, forthright Katharine Houghton. Regardless,  this should be very entertaining. 

LOl, yes we do, and as @Kitt predicted Sablo may get Diego in trouble... And you're right about the potential for Sablo to be in trouble, too, but Diego hasn't let his brother down yet. Guess who's coming to dinner ?  :rofl:

I'll let @aditus reply to the comment about Cupids. ;) 

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 3/11/2019 at 12:23 AM, Defiance19 said:

Sooo much fun.. A dinner with death, and nestlings too. 

Awesome chapter! 

 

We had fun writing it, too - especially the nestlings. @aditus gets most of the credit for that scene. I just sat and laughed as I made a few edits. :rofl: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
16 hours ago, Story Reader said:

Sounds like someone is jealous!

But do they have reason to be ? That's the question. :lol: 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..