Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 1,719 Words
  • 2,573 Views
  • 28 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2019 - Spring - Snapped Entry

Perseverance - 1. Perseverance

Something was wrong with Davey. And I had no idea what. Neither did the slew of specialists I’d taken my son to over the past few months. I felt like I was on an out-of-control roller coaster, careening toward an unfinished drop-off. I hoped like hell we could stop it before we reached the end.

I propped my head up with a pillow and reached for my iPad. I hadn’t had a good night’s sleep in months and figured tonight wouldn’t be any different. I tapped the button to access my videos and chose one of the recordings I took on our vacation to the Adirondacks last summer. Davey loved camping. Hiking was a good way to use up a lot of his energy. Keeping up with my hyperactive, autistic son forced me to stay in shape.

The screen lit up with the vibrant green of the northlands forest, sunlight streaming into the clearing I’d found—a good spot to stop and break for lunch.

Davey paced in circles around the small space, waving his hands. “Twelve o’clock. Time for lunch. Today’s Tuesday, July seventeenth. Peanut butter and jelly. Twelve o’clock. Peanut butter and jelly. And corn chips. Time for lunch,” he said in a sing-song voice, over and over.

“Davey, look over here. Where are we?”

He ran over to me and stopped right in front of the iPad—his face so close to the camera only his caramel-brown eye and flushed, red cheek were visible. “Adirondack National Park. Indian Lake. Tuesday, July seventeenth, two thousand eighteen.”

“Back up a bit, buddy, so we can see your face.”

He took a step backward, and I did the same. He smiled and looked past the iPad instead of directly at it. “It’s twelve o’clock. Lunchtime.”

“Yes, it is. This is Alan and Davey, signing off, so we can eat our peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.”

The video playback stopped. I sighed and closed my eyes, remembering what happened next.

I sat on a log and unpacked our sandwiches and chips. “Here you go, Davey. Come sit next to me.”

He ran over and plopped down in front of me, sitting cross-legged. I broke off a piece of peanut butter and jelly sandwich and placed it, along with a few corn chips, on a plate and handed it to him. He grabbed it and stuffed it all in his mouth at once, then held out the plate to me.

“Easy there, bud. Remember to eat one thing at a time.” If I gave him an entire plate of food, it would be gone in about thirty seconds flat. That was a lesson learned the hard way, after he choked on a chicken nugget he failed to chew, and I had to call 911. I placed another bite of sandwich on the plate and decided to wait on the chips. It still took less than ten minutes for him to finish everything.

After resting a few more minutes, I stood. “Ready to go?”

Davey ran over to me and hugged me clumsily. “I love you, Davey. You, too.” He let go and walked quickly toward the trail. Even though he said his own name, I knew he meant me. He frequently mixed up names and pronouns. Once I recovered from my shock, I had to run to catch up to him, letting the wind dry my happy tears.

It was the only time he ever said he loved me.

 

I opened my eyes and grabbed a tissue from the box on the nightstand. Davey had started changing only a couple of months after that trip. Watching the video only drove home how much he’d deteriorated.

Davey did everything fast—eating, speaking, walking. It was exhausting. He talked constantly. The technical term is “echolalia”. He repeated everything he heard, which meant I had to watch what I said. That was another lesson learned the hard—and embarrassing—way.

About two months after our trip, Davey slowed down. It started gradually. At first, I thought I was getting in better shape, since I was able to keep up with him easier. Then, I found myself having to slow my own steps in order to walk with him. That’s when I started noticing other things. He talked less—sometimes not at all. I’d ask him a question and he’d stare at me instead of answering. I thought maybe he wasn’t feeling well, so I took him to the doctor.

Puberty. The fucker actually had the nerve to blame it on puberty. He said there was nothing physically wrong with him and recommended a follow-up in six months. I immediately looked for recommendations for other doctors who specialized in treating people with autism. The answers I got from them weren’t much better. So here I was, feeling like I was on that damn roller coaster.

I’d never forget what the last “expert” had told me. I balled my hands into fist and clenched my teeth. Thinking about it made my blood boil.

“Your son has experienced a psychotic break. Sometimes the symptoms manifest as a withdrawal into one’s self. The mind just snaps—there’s no known cause or cure. People who already have a mental defect are at higher risk. All we can do is treat the symptoms.”

Mental defect.

Snapped.

No.

I knew my son. The doctor’s diagnosis of schizophrenia was wrong. I knew it in my bones. I refused to fill the plethora of hardcore anti-psychotic medications the quack had prescribed.

And continued my search for answers.

I found a promising lead in an online support group for single parents of autistic children a couple of weeks ago. One of the members highly recommended a doctor in a neighboring state. I called right away and was lucky enough to get an appointment next week. I was trying not to get my hopes up, but desperately hoped this guy would give us the key to Davey’s issues.

I yawned and stretched. I needed to stop these thoughts and try to get some sleep.

 

Throwing the covers off, I sat upright, my heart pounding. I’d had one hell of a nightmare. My son was being attacked by velociraptors and screaming his head off. What can I say? I had a strange subconscious. Or maybe it was because Davey loved dinosaurs and watching the Jurassic Park movies.

I decided I might as well take a piss as long as I was up, so I stood and started walking toward the bathroom. My blood ran cold when I heard Davey scream—the same sound from my nightmare. I darted down the hall and into my son’s room. He writhed on the bed, screeching and hitting his head with his hand repeatedly.

I ran to him and grabbed his arm. “Davey! Stop!” It took all my strength to stop him from hurting himself. I’d never seen him like this before. Fear flooded through me—I had no idea what the fuck was happening. And my fucking cell phone was on my fucking nightstand in my fucking bedroom. Fuck.

I needed help.

I let go of Davey and ran to my bedroom, snatched up my cell phone, and continued back to my son’s room. I managed to call 911 while keeping him from hurting himself.

 

I paced up and down the hallway of the hospital’s psych ward, wondering if I could share a room with Davey. If my blood pressure didn’t kill me first, that is. Fucking doctors. The ER doc had taken one look at Davey’s history and pumped him full of sedatives, then shipped him off to the looney bin, despite my objections.

Now I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t bear to see Davey restrained in his bed, catatonic from all the crap they pumped into him.

“Mr. Grantham?”

I stopped pacing and faced the young man addressing me. “Yes, I’m Alan Grantham.”

The man smiled and held out his hand. “I’m the resident on duty today, Dr. Green. I’m here to check on David.”

I shook his hand briefly. Great. He looked like he was barely out of high school. “Look… I know you have a job to do, but Davey’s not crazy. Something is very wrong with him and nobody can figure out what!”

“I’ve reviewed your son’s history, but let’s go sit down and you can fill in some of blanks, then I’ll examine Davey.”

I nodded. “Yeah, sure. OK.”

We headed to a small office, and I repeated everything we’d been through since Davey first started changing. Dr. Green made a lot of notes as I talked and asked questions occasionally. He frowned when I described what had happened last night and Davey’s horrible screaming. For the first time, I felt like I was being taken seriously.

We headed into Davey’s room, and Dr. Green performed a physical exam, which included shining a penlight into his eyes and checking his reflexes. He turned to the nurse assisting him. “Alice, when was he catheterized?”

“About an hour ago. I’ve emptied it once. His bladder was really full.”

Dr. Green frowned and turned to his computer and quickly typed something. “Mr. Grantham, I’d like to send Davey for some tests.”

I nodded. “What kind of tests?”

“A CT scan and lumbar puncture, and possibly an MRI.”

“Lumbar puncture? Is that really necessary?”

“It might be, depending on the results of the scan.”

I stared at him and realized this was the first person to take Davey’s symptoms seriously. “You suspect something, don’t you.”

He hesitated before responding. “I don’t want to say for sure until we have the results, but I’m guessing you’re right about your son not having a mental illness.”

“Thank you,” I replied, my voice shaking. “You’re the first doctor who’s taken me seriously.”

He smiled. “I have a brother with autism. I know how hard it can be to get answers when something’s wrong.”

I nodded and turned toward Davey. I brushed his hair back from his forehead and kissed him. “You’ll be OK, bud.”

Dr. Green returned an hour later with the results of the testing.

Encephalitis.

Swelling of the brain.

It had a name.

Davey wasn’t crazy.

And neither was I.

And it was treatable. I was getting my son back.

 

A huge thank you to Aditus and Cole Matthews for their support and encouragement, and to Thorn Wilde for doing the final proof. This is a story based on actual events. It's easy to dismiss changes in people with developmental disabilities as 'behavioral', but in truth, there's usually a medical cause. Thankfully, in this case, it was discovered before it was too late. Thanks for reading, and I welcome all comments/reactions.
Copyright © 2019 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 11
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2019 - Spring - Snapped Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I was left wanting to know more. The bare bones approach lacked something for me. In today's health care environment, finding a doctor who cares and is willing to persevere is a minor miracle.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

It’s unfortunate but true that doctors can overlook something or shut off important avenues of inquiry due to preconceptions. None of us are immune to such blindness.  Davey’s going to get well because one person had a different conditioning. Thank you... 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Preconceptions encompass physical and mental acuity, as well as racial and socioeconomic backgrounds.   We have to be our own (and especially our children’s) advocates;  It is not hypochondria to insist something is wrong.

I am glad this based on a real event ended with a definitive diagnosis and not permanent damage or death.  Medicine, like justice, should have no prejudice.

Thank you for sharing.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

It must be so difficult to break through the wall of preconceived notions and get actual help. Going on your own conviction can be very lonely. I'm glad they at least got help. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Of course I want to know more, get to know Davey and his father, see what happens after the incident, but for me the central conclusion of this story is trust yourself sometimes and put your foot down and speak up when you feel it's necessary. A father knows his child and Dr. Green knew that. I'm really happy this ended well.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/20/2019 at 6:06 PM, Timothy M. said:

The sadness is for the struggle of the parent to help  and cherish his son, not just when he's ill but all through his life. I would never be able to cope with a kid who talked all the time. But I can see how it would be even worse to almost lose the fight to get the correct diagnosis and treatment. I'm not surprised he was relieved that his perseverance finally got results. And kudos to the young doctor for being up to date on symptoms and checking out possible physical causes rather than blaming the change on the boy's disability.

I generally see my individuals for about a half hour and I truly empathize with parents who have to deal with the non-stop chatter all the time.  Of course, I am extremely sensitive to noise so I value silence more than most other people.  I have to remind myself that not everyone is as bothered by noise as I am.  Alan is used to Davey's chatter, so the absence of it was an indication of how sick Davey truly was.  I really feel for individuals who are sick, sometimes direly so, only to have their symptoms dismissed.  I've seen it more times than I care to, and the outcome is not always as positive as Davey's.  Thanks for commenting :hug: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/20/2019 at 7:32 PM, dughlas said:

Wow ... simply, wow. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Thank you.  And thanks for reading :hug: 

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/20/2019 at 11:51 PM, JeffreyL said:

My heart goes out to this dad and his son. Parents who have children with disabilities or mental illness can be amazing! They have a lot to deal with while trying to keep their child's life (and their own) as normal as possible. You did a great job capturing Alan's worry, fear, and love. Thank you. 

Thank you so much.  I've met some pretty amazing parents through my job.  :) 

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/21/2019 at 1:09 AM, Geron Kees said:

Scary for any parent. Good job of giving me the willies!

Thanks :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/21/2019 at 1:53 AM, travlbug said:

Thank goodness for a caring doctor willing to go the extra mile! 😊

Definitely!  It boggles my mind how apparently obvious physical changes can be so easily dismissed or misinterpreted.  At least this was caught before it was too late. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/21/2019 at 2:42 AM, drpaladin said:

Val, you have a talent for distillilng all the elements in a tale until it becomes a refined and immensely satisfying spirit. Bravo.

:hug:  Thank you so much :kiss: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/21/2019 at 6:55 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

I was left wanting to know more. The bare bones approach lacked something for me. In today's health care environment, finding a doctor who cares and is willing to persevere is a minor miracle.

People with disabilities have an even harder time, especially when they lack the ability to communicate what's wrong. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/21/2019 at 8:46 AM, Parker Owens said:

It’s unfortunate but true that doctors can overlook something or shut off important avenues of inquiry due to preconceptions. None of us are immune to such blindness.  Davey’s going to get well because one person had a different conditioning. Thank you... 

Very true.  I was dismissed by the ER doc when I had the flu because I said I had the flu.  I didn't make the statement blindly.  One of the individuals on my caseload tested positive for the flu about a week before I got severely ill.  But instead of listening to that, he brushed it aside, scowling.  His grudging diagnosis was I had caught a 'virus'.  🙄  Thank goodness Davey's true ailment was caught in time.  Thanks for commenting :hug: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
17 hours ago, FanLit said:

 Medicine, like justice, should have no prejudice.

Thank you for sharing.

Yes!  I couldn't have said it better.  Thank you for reading.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
6 hours ago, Puppilull said:

It must be so difficult to break through the wall of preconceived notions and get actual help. Going on your own conviction can be very lonely. I'm glad they at least got help. 

Agreed.  While there's more training being provided to emergency personnel and hospitals about how to treat people with autism, there's a hell of a long way yet to go.  Thanks for reading. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
40 minutes ago, aditus said:

Of course I want to know more, get to know Davey and his father, see what happens after the incident, but for me the central conclusion of this story is trust yourself sometimes and put your foot down and speak up when you feel it's necessary. A father knows his child and Dr. Green knew that. I'm really happy this ended well.

Thanks :) Cole has challenged me to expand this story, so I might do that at some point.  And yes, if you know something is wrong, being insistent and getting a second, third, fourth, etc. opinion is sometimes necessary.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment

It's still quite difficult to rid yourself of the idea that the doctor knows best. Time pressures, fixed thinking, and a lack of basic empathy are all reasons why they sometimes don't. It must be both scary and immensely frustrating to have to work against the bulk of the medical profession. You put that across very well but I agree with the other comments that it needs more. The story read like something written to a word limit - that can be good apart from the feeling of 'More, please'.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
14 minutes ago, northie said:

It's still quite difficult to rid yourself of the idea that the doctor knows best. Time pressures, fixed thinking, and a lack of basic empathy are all reasons why they sometimes don't. It must be both scary and immensely frustrating to have to work against the bulk of the medical profession. You put that across very well but I agree with the other comments that it needs more. The story read like something written to a word limit - that can be good apart from the feeling of 'More, please'.

I think you begin to question your sanity when you know something is wrong, but everyone is telling you there isn't.  Thanks for the comments.  I think this story is worth expanding some day.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment

It is so important to not question your gut and demand more answers. I saw that with my aunt when every doctor was telling her it was her diverticulitis causing her stomach pain. She finally said okay, and it turned out too late, that they were wrong. 

Alan knew his child. Parents know. Thank goodness he found a doctor willing to listen and believe him. 

Thank you, Val. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..