Jump to content
    WolfM
  • Author
  • 2,322 Words
  • 3,872 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Alpha - 5. I Never Knew

Dorian checked with several members of the pack to make sure they received a notification about the funeral. He was pleasantly surprised his instructions had been followed. He couldn’t easily check if the neighboring packs had been invited and for the most part he didn’t care. It was customary for fellow alphas to be present to honor a fallen leader no matter if they were allies or rivals. With the responsible party or parties for the assassination still unknown, Dorian and his hunters were on edge about anyone entering the territory. They wondered if it was a rival pack using underhanded means of killing the leadership. There was also a worry about a visiting alpha being similarly murdered at the service.

There would be a second memorial within a few days to allow the human friends of Alpha Wagner to pay their respects. Word around town was he had died in a mountain biking accident. Since his arrival in Burney, he had become a well respected businessman among the human population. He was also known for being somewhat of an adventurist. It would be comforting to his friends to believe he died doing something he enjoyed. In such a small community, the death of someone like Randy Wagner would not go unnoticed. The Chamber of Commerce and local tribal council would want a chance to say good-bye to the man they had called a friend.

It took little convincing among the Hunter Corps leadership to agree to the avians providing air patrols during the funeral. They were setting up several security rings from the site out to try and make sure there wasn’t a repeat of the pack meeting. The flock master himself spoke to Dorian and the head of the hunters to coordinate the operation. In an extraordinary show of faith and good will, he offered himself and his mate as guests to make sure everyone knew they weren’t trying to make a move against the pack.

******

Walking into the hospital, Dorian was running through everything he felt he needed to still do. It wasn’t long before he was at the room to check on his step-father. Sarah sat on the edge of the bed talking to her mate and was pleased to see her son.

“Mom, how’s he doing today?”

She glanced to her mate before returning her gaze to her son. “Better. The doctor thinks he’ll be able to come home in another day or two.”

“In that case, with your permission and yours as well, Marshal, I’ll make arrangements to have you transported to the funeral.”

Shock briefly crossed Marshal’s face. “I hadn’t received word it was going ahead yet. When did all this happen?”

“Yesterday when I told the council it was happening today or else.”

“Thank you.”

“What can I say? I learned a lot from my dad when he was alive and just as much from you. Use the right tone and you can get the most stubborn of people to come around.” A satisfied grin crossed his face. “Grabbing Councilman Boxner by the throat also got their attention.”

“Dorian Carl Jackman, you didn’t.” Sarah knew from the look at his full name being used that he had.

Marshal filled with pride. “I wish I’d seen that. You just needed someone to help you channel that anger you used to have.”

“He obviously still needs outlets for that temper.” Sarah eyed her son.

“Yeah, well at least I put it to good use this time. Marshal, it didn’t hurt you’ve been good to Mom. I always appreciated that you never tried to replace my dad, yet you always treated me like I was your son. Now, get better quick. I need you to step in and bring peace to the council before I have to start knocking their heads together some more.” Dorian turned to walk to the door and glanced over his shoulder. “I’ll have someone pick you both up with a doctor or nurse before the service.”

Sarah stood and placed her hand on Dorian’s shoulder before kissing his cheek. With a smile, he left to attend to his remaining details for the day.

******

Dorian and a large crew meticulously prepared a pyre for each of the slain leaders. Wood was stacked with care and reverence. The platforms were checked and rechecked. Everyone who took part in the setup tried to make sure everything was just right. The only time Dorian had been away from the site was to check in on Marshal and his mother. By the time the work had finished, he was exhausted. The crew gathered around him to make sure he was alright. Especially after he sat on the ground about ten feet in front of the center platform with his head in his hands.

His youngest sister sat beside him and leaned her head against his strong shoulder. “It’s going to be fine. We’ll get through this tonight and start to heal. I’m proud of you for pulling this together so quickly.”

“I shouldn’t have let it happen in the first place.”

“You were off duty. It wasn’t your job to be patrolling the area that day. And even if you had been it still could have happened.” She turned a little to look up at her brother. “You took charge at the meeting and made sure everyone else survived. You even got the hunters on the trail of the shooter. I don’t know anyone else who could have directed them the way you did.”

“Thanks. I guess I’m just feeling like I messed up. It’s my duty to protect the pack, and someone got through.”

“Yeah, they got through everyone who was on duty. Not everything can be stopped. It isn’t like this was some feral. It was a wolf who knew what he was doing. Not even the hunters can defend against that.”

“Good thing you’re the smart one in the family. I’m glad the alpha made sure you’re going to college.” He kissed the top of her head. “And I’m glad you’re home on break right now. You’ve always known how to make me feel better.”

As they stood, she wrapped her arms around him. “Someone had to keep the hothead of the family in check.”

“I think I can make it through the rest of the day now. I have a few things to finish before the funeral starts, so I’ll see you in a couple hours.”

******

As sundown approached, the membership gathered northeast of town. There was a large section of land owned by the pack along the Pit River. It was used for special occasions, and none would be more so than this. The site was also away from the human population and at a wide spot on the river where it was at its gentlest. Lycan of varied species with the Forest Service and fire protection showed up with three water tankers in case any wind picked up and blew embers astray.

There was a slight feel of satisfaction for Dorian to see the council had done as he ordered. Still, he was surprised when representatives from four surrounding packs plus the avian leader arrived. They greeted the few council members who were left in a sorrowful exchange. The Pit River hunters spread out behind those assembled in hopes of providing some protection if there was another incident.

An avian guard for their leader shifted into an osprey and took to the air. His call to his brothers was easily heard as was the response from others in flight. Another of the guards stood beside Dorian and the hunter’s leaders. “Everyone in the air reports all clear.”

Gaelan, the commander of the hunters, nodded to Dorian. “This is your operation and your call.”

Picking up his radio Dorian spoke only one word. “Proceed.”

Five wagons draped in black and pulled by two horses each, slowly made their way up the road. Each was flanked by six men. Silence fell over those assembled as they watched the procession reach the end of its journey. The men at each wagon lifted the casket onto their shoulders. Dorian, Gaelan, and six more men carried Alpha Wagner’s coffin. The pallbearers walked slowly up the center of the gathering to stand before their individual pyre. The alpha’s body was the last to make the journey, as if he were making sure the rest of his fallen brothers had safely reached their destination. All at once, the five were placed onto the platform of their pyre before the men returned to their place in the gathering.

The acting leader of the council addressed the people. “This pack has endured a great loss. We had ten years of peace and prosperity under the leadership of Alpha Wagner. The first year of our new pack was not an easy one for some as change can be difficult to accept. But he tried to do his best to include everyone equally and not show favoritism to anyone. He used to speak about how he wished one of his sons had survived the countless conflicts in the past to see what we had become.”

After several more speeches, including from some visiting alphas, the leader of the avian clan stood. “I’ve had the honor of calling Randy Wagner a friend for many years. He found me on the border of our respective territories after someone thought it would be good sport to try and shoot a bald eagle out of the sky. My injuries were more from my crash landing, but still life threatening since I couldn’t get to help. In those days our kinds tended to keep as far from each other as we could, but he saw someone in need and got me the help that saved my life. After we both rose to positions of leadership, we maintained our friendship with both sides offering services to benefit the other. Of all the wolves I have known, I will never have another friend like him. All avians in the area mourn this loss and wish to show our respect to my friend, his mate, and this pack.”

As the flock master finished his speech, a V formation of twenty-one birds of prey flew over the gathering. As they got overhead, one veered off creating the missing man formation. Once they had passed, he approached Luna Wagner and knelt before her, handing her a single feather.

Dorian stepped to the front and took a few deep breaths to calm his nerves. “I first saw Alpha Wagner ten years ago when we all met to witness a challenge between two leaders. At the time I didn’t know who I wanted to win. Until that point I had only lived under one alpha and regardless of any personal feelings, my loyalty was to him and the pack. Alpha Wagner issued a warning to his people before the challenge began. They were to respect the outcome of the day. He added that if he lost and any of his pack attempted revenge, his beta and enforcer were instructed to kill those who would dishonor the fight. The great wolf continued to surprise me at the conclusion of the fight. He made sure his opponent was lying in a peaceful way before howling his victory. He saw to the former Luna’s needs and to his death made sure she was cared for. Alpha and Luna Wagner worked hard to build this pack to where we are today. All while showing respect for each member. He was not born into his position. It was something he earned through strength, perseverance, and courage. This will not be an easy loss for us to overcome, as a great leader is not easily replaced. But we will go on. We will honor the man who brought us together. Through our actions and the way we live, we will be the monument to his life. Thanks to him we are one people and will remain so into the future.”

Five torches were handed to Dorian and four other leaders of the Hunter Corps. Dorian knelt before the Luna, bowing his head as she lit it. Backing away, he rejoined the others as they each lit theirs off the first. The hunters set each pyre afire and watched as the flames rapidly grew in the kindling. The larger pieces of wood slowly ignited as each fire built in intensity. After about thirty minutes, the caskets themselves began to burn. People would be tending the fires all night to ensure all those being honored were properly cremated.

When morning came, Dorian was exhausted. He had insisted on tending the alpha’s pyre all night, adding more wood when needed. With the help of Gaelan and Luna Wagner, they collected the ashes when everything had cooled enough to do so.

Luna Wagner gave Dorian a kiss on the cheek as they sealed the urn. “He was always so proud of you. We both are. Of what you accomplished. It was like we were given a third son. After the loss of our two boys, I’m grateful he had you to keep an eye on.”

“I never knew.” Dorian stumbled back into a nearby chair. “I mean I knew he was proud of me, but not the rest. I mentioned to a friend this felt like losing my dad all over again.”

“He made me promise not to tell you or anyone else so it didn’t seem like he was playing favorites. Everything you’ve become you earned because of your own spirit. From the day you risked your life to defend him, he always saw something special in you.”

“Thank you, Luna.”

“I know last night would not have happened without your leadership. And I know it’s not something you want, but you would make a wonderful alpha.” She placed her hand on his shoulder briefly before walking off.

Copyright © 2020 WolfM; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 58
  • Love 38
  • Wow 3
  • Sad 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm caught between needing a tissue and wanting to cheer Dorian on. He deserves to be the alpha. I'm having a difficult time believing this is the same Dorian from the first book.

Absolutely brilliant work, Wolf. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 2/11/2023 at 7:21 PM, astone2292 said:

I'm caught between needing a tissue and wanting to cheer Dorian on. He deserves to be the alpha. I'm having a difficult time believing this is the same Dorian from the first book.

Absolutely brilliant work, Wolf. 

Thank you, Astone. A lot happened between this point in his life and when he was introduced at the alpha convention.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Well, that was a perfect funeral peaceful and done in beauty. Dorian staying with and tending the alpha’s pyre all night, he will be Alpha sooner than later! Good chaper!

  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

Well, that was a perfect funeral peaceful and done in beauty. Dorian staying with and tending the alpha’s pyre all night, he will be Alpha sooner than later! Good chaper!

Thank you, Albert. Nothing would have pulled him away from tending to the man he cared for so much.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..