Jump to content
    WolfM
  • Author
  • 3,129 Words
  • 5,290 Views
  • 29 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Alpha - 2. Changing

The region of northeastern California where the Pit River Pack was located was home to many others, a few equal in size, and several very small ones. Between buffer zones and overlapping territorial claims, the various alphas tended to always be calling on their fighters to defend their borders or launch an attack. Even if all they gained was an extra foot of territory, they felt it was justified. It was after one such border skirmish that Dorian’s father didn’t return home. The alpha came to the house to give his mother the bad news and express his thanks for the sacrifice made for the good of the people. It didn’t make much difference to the alpha the fight had been over some petty dispute between himself and a neighboring leader. The two men sent in fighters to a buffer zone and walked away with a draw after suffering near equal losses.

Following numerous battles that intensified the tensions in the area, they reached a tipping point over the survival of all the packs in the region. One of the neighboring alphas having grown tired of the fighting issued a direct challenge to the Pit River alpha. This time there would be no large battle, wasted lives, or ending in a draw. Two men would enter the challenge circle; one would emerge alive and the other would be dead. Control of both packs would go to the victor. A neutral location was picked within the buffer zone meant to separate the territories. Members from both sides gathered to watch. The two leaders were viewed as being equally matched, just as both packs were similarly sized in the number of warriors. No one could guess which leader would live.

******

The Modoc leader addressed his people before the fight. “I expect you all to abide by the outcome of this challenge. Whichever of us remains alive in the end will be your alpha. Should it come that I take my last breath today, know that my beta and my enforcer have one final order. They will kill any member of Modoc who attempts to violate the rules of this challenge before control is handed over to Pit River. Your allegiance is to the alpha who wins this challenge.”

This small speech by the opposing leader resonated in Dorian’s mind. He had heard many stories about the honor of a challenge fight from his dad and understood they could take many forms. He had heard talk by some within the Pit River Pack of avenging their alpha if he didn’t succeed and here was the other man, the enemy of Dorian’s pack, telling his people his final order was to kill anyone who tried to avenge his death.

One of Dorian’s friends joked with his buddies. “Dad said if the other guy wins, the best time to strike is before he gets a chance to heal. Our pack can slaughter the lot of them and take over what’s left.”

“We may have no loyalty to him now, but if he wins, he’s the alpha plain and simple. Killing him like that after a fight is the chicken shit way to try and win.”

“Dorian, you mean you’d turn your back on your own pack? On getting revenge for him killing your alpha? You’d actually follow that guy?”

“He challenged and Alpha Clark accepted. Win or die, he knew we would be merged into one pack with Modoc by the end of today.”

“I don’t know. We’ll see what happens and how he treats us if he wins. I’ve heard a lot of things from Dad about that guy and their pack and none of it was good.”

The Pit River alpha issued no warning to his pack about following whoever won the day, and that was also noticed by the young Dorian. The lessons his father taught him about a fair fight rang clear. It was a fight to the death so anything goes, but at the end the dispute was over. Why wouldn’t he tell his people to respect the outcome? Dorian was also bothered by his friend’s remarks. He knew his friend’s family was pretty high up and part of the leadership, but should they take revenge for something the alpha agreed to?

******

Each leader spent a moment with their mate, a final farewell if the worst happened. At the appointed time, they shifted, and two large wolves crossed into the challenge circle. From the start the fight was brutal. Each was trying to get the upper paw and attempting to inflict as much damage as possible. The vicious combat went on for nearly an hour with both wolves receiving serious injuries. Modoc’s alpha finally managed to wear his opponent down. The lethal bite to the throat punctured the jugular artery, while shaking his head viciously broke the other wolf’s neck, ending the battle.

People on both sides remained quiet. The Pit River members were stunned at the loss of their leader. The Modoc pack was relieved theirs had survived. The alpha, still in wolf, stood next to the body of his opponent. Bowing down on his front legs, he placed his head on the ground beside the one he’d fought, using his snout he adjust the head of his former enemy into a more natural, respectable position. After this show of reverence for the dead, he threw his head back and howled triumphantly at his victory.

For a second time, the actions of this other alpha surprised Dorian, as it was something he had never observed from his own leader. First a speech and warning to his own people and then showing respect for the man he had killed before howling his triumph. It was then that he saw one of his pack’s senior members and close friend to the now dead wolf rushing forward with a silver blade. The handle was wrapped in leather to protect its bearer. Dorian didn’t think about what he was doing as he launched himself at the attacker. “Look out!” As he collided with the man he knew well, the silver dagger stabbed into his stomach burning the flesh were it touched and filling him with unimaginable pain.

Randy Wagner, the Modoc alpha, shifted from his lupus to a hybrid that resembled what most know as a lunis. The shift between forms rapidly healed all the alpha’s wounds. He rushed to Dorian’s side and pulled the blade out of the boy. The smell of burnt flesh permeated the air. Swinging his massive claws at the attacker, he instantly killed the man who had tried to assassinate him. He tossed the blade aside and cradled his badly burned paw. Many of his own people were already on their feet or shifting to their animal ready to fight. Few had ever seen an alpha take on their legendary hybrid form or heard a wolf use human speech. “Help the boy, NOW!”

People from Modoc rushed in to help Dorian as Alpha Wagner turned towards the Pit River members. “This boy is hopefully the first step in creating a new and united pack between our two people. When the time comes to swear your allegiance to the new Pit River/Modoc pack, and yes I did just place the Pit River name first, you will have three choices: join, leave, or die. Those choices apply to all members of the now former Modoc Pack as well. This challenge was to end years of unnecessary rivalry and bloodshed between our people. My beta and the Pit River beta will begin work to combine the packs. We will all gather in one week’s time to discuss our future.” With that he returned to his human form and left the field carrying the teen who had saved his live.

******

Dorian was rushed to the nearest doctor. The wound was deep and required surgery to repair the internal damage. Once he was in the recovery room, he was given something to counteract the effects of silver poisoning. He spent nearly a week in the hospital. When he was allowed to return home, it was with strict orders to rest. It would take weeks for the silver burn to heal and allow him to shift again. Unlike other injuries, this one would leave a permanent scar.

The several days being laid up in the hospital gave him plenty of time to think about what he had witnessed. It was the first alpha level challenge he’d seen. There had been others that usually ended in one wolf or another getting a beat down to some degree, but the death match between leaders was different. The only way to describe it was primal. It was also the first time he had seen an alpha taking something beyond his lupus form. He didn’t like that his alpha had lost, but he also didn’t care for the man all that much since the continued disputes with their neighbors led to his father’s death.

******

Dorian leaned on his best friend, Levi McKinney, as they helped him from the truck to the gathering of the two packs. A few people from the leadership of what had been the Pit River Pack, glared at the young man as he took a seat with his family. There were unkind remarks made, both in front and behind them, while everyone waited for the alpha to address the combined packs.

Sarah Jackman, Dorian’s mother, heard the comments and stood from her spot towards the back. The position represented her family’s station within the structure of the pack. She looked around at her people she knew and stared down all of them. “You make your comments about my son doing what’s right. Calling him a traitor to Pit River, especially those of you that helped run the pack.” She was at that moment an angry she-wolf who was going to protect her family and not be silent. “Our former leader was a miserable, sorry, son of a bitch who squandered the lives of many of our husbands, fathers, and sons. Out of respect to him being our alpha, I kept my mouth shut all these years. He is why my mate was killed and for no good reason but to puff up his chest to a neighbor. Those of you who were his advisors, conveniently never had to fight or send your spouse or kids to die in combat for his failed wars. He would still be alive if he hadn’t continually started fights with Modoc and others.” Her glare was fierce. “That man freely accepted the challenge from another alpha to a death match and had an assassin waiting in case he lost. My son and family are not the traitors to the Pit River. Our former leader and his top advisors are.” With that she grabbed the hand of her youngest child and ushered her other pups including Dorian to the other side of the gathering where all the Modoc members sat. In one final outburst, she yelled back at the Pit River people. “You all sit there trying to remain separate from the Modoc members and they try to remain separate from us. If we’re supposed to be one pack now, maybe you should all get off your asses and find a seat next to someone who wants to move on with life.”

Several Modoc members made room for her and the family to sit with them. Everyone, including Alpha Wagner, was surprised at the outburst of this one woman. Even more so when members from both sides stood and moved so they weren’t all sitting like two separate packs.

Alpha Wagner quietly spoke with his beta and enforcer as well as the man who had been the Pit River beta. When he was ready to start the meeting, he stepped out in front of everyone. “Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the first meeting of the new Pit River/Modoc Pack. I can see some of you are surprised that since I won I am retaining the Pit River name and placing it first. As Mrs. Jackman stated a few minutes ago, we are now one pack. Given the territory we cover, it makes sense for us to have our headquarters in the town of Burney where Pit River was based. You will all be free to move about the combined territory. There’s more than enough space for us all to run and hunt as we see fit.”

The alpha watched the gathered members as he chose his words carefully. “I don’t care which pack you were from. As of this moment we are one people. If there are any among you who cannot or will not accept me as your alpha, step forward and give your name to my enforcer. I will give you five days to settle your affairs and leave our territory. If you like, we will provide what assistance we can in helping you find a new home or selling your property at fair market value. No one who leaves will be taken advantage of.” He gave the people a moment for that to sink in. “Anyone who attempts to stir up trouble will find I am protective of anyone I’m responsible for. I don’t see many things changing in your day to day lives, but I hope we can build a new community together so we all prosper. The endless and needless border skirmishes that took place are at an end.”

Several people stepped forward to indicate they would not declare their allegiance to the new pack. All had been advisors or close friends to the Pit River alpha including the former Enforcer. As Sarah Jackman pointed out, they had all been responsible for continuing conflicts with their neighbors. Dorian was surprised to see a few of his best friend’s family in the group. More so that the beta was the only member of the old leadership who seemed to be working with Alpha Wagner.

Turning to address the two betas, and his enforcer, Alpha Wagner spoke loud enough for all to hear. “Do you men now affirm your loyalty to the Pit River/Modoc Pack and pledge with your life to serve as its beta, assistant beta, and enforcer?”

“Yes, Alpha, we do.”

One by one, the alpha had each man stand before him and present their wrist to him. A claw formed on his index finger which he used to create a small scratch. He did the same to his wrist before clasping their arm. “Our blood is shared and our pledge to each other is forged.”

All three men took up position behind the Alpha as he turned to the gathered members. “Do you all pledge, without reservation, your loyalty to the Pit River/Modoc Pack? Promise to support your fellow pack mates no matter their origins and live as one united family from this day on?

There was a resounding, “We do, Alpha.”

Each member of the pack, no matter their former rank, sex, or age, went before the alpha and presented their wrist. Once he scratched it and scented their blood, they gave their name to both betas. It took some time for the Alpha to get through all the members, but once he was done he gave his final announcement of the day. “Over the next few days and weeks we will be coming to you for filling positions throughout the pack. Just because you held a position before does not mean you will do so in the future. No matter what your rank in either pack was, as of today you are all on equal footing. Have a good evening.”

******

“This is fucked up.” Levi was in a foul mood.

Dorian studied his best friend before glancing to their other friends as the group sat on the edge of Lake Brittan. “How so? Sounded like he was being fair with everyone.”

“No one from your family is being forced out of the pack. A couple of my uncles had to leave because of this. I won’t get to see my cousins all the time now. Also, my family worked hard to achieve the position we had. Now everyone’s equal. We’re considered the same as the filth who were omegas before. They’ll decide what position people get. How is it fair to take away what we earned?”

Dorian shook his head. “Who’s being forced out? Everyone was given an option. If they wouldn’t follow the new alpha for whatever reason, they were free to leave. All they had to do was swear their allegiance to the new pack. Just like they would have to do anyplace they move.”

“How could they do that after he killed our alpha?

“I didn’t see you or your parents holding back your wrist and not pledging your loyalty to the pack. I thought you were past this stuff. Most of the wolves who are leaving are responsible for a lot of deaths, including my dad’s. Out pack would have been bigger and stronger without all those dead wolves.”

“And I thought you were over that.” Levi shot a glare at Dorian.

The rest of their friends looked on as the two argued. No one really wanted to get in the middle of it. As long as it hadn’t turned into an actual fight they’d keep quiet and let the two argue.

“I’ve accepted my dad’s death. If you’d actually lost family in any of those stupid border fights you might feel different. Your uncles managed to shield your family from all that. At least you’ll still be able to see them even if they aren’t living here anymore.”

“I still say this whole thing is fucked up.”

“Maybe it is, but maybe things will get better around here. Worst case, if we don’t like it under the new guy, any of us can leave and go elsewhere.”

“I don’t think I could leave my best buds and go somewhere else.”

One of the others who’d remained quiet cracked a joked to lighten the two up. “You don’t think you could leave your bud who keeps you from getting your ass beat by other wolves.”

“Thought he liked getting his ass pounded.”

Levi waved a one finger salute in front of their faces.

Dorian ignored the other guy and focused on Levi. “Then I guess you better learn to keep your mouth shut about Alpha Wagner before you say or do something stupid and get forced out. Guess as friends we could help keep you quiet by keeping a dick in your mouth as often as possible.”

The pair fell silent much to the relief of their friends. Each in their own thoughts about how life and pack were changing.

Copyright © 2020 WolfM; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 64
  • Love 32
  • Wow 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



1 hour ago, Will Hawkins said:

I have been writing a story in which the two principal characters are a Yankee Army Doctor and a Virginia Rebel farm boy, both discharged from their respective armies after the signing of the peace agreement at Appomattox courthouse. One of the things the two of them face together is the ill feelings between the South and the North after the end of the battles of the Civil War. The two main characters are willing to forego the ill feelings that Yankee and Reb usually developed during the war and work to gather to make a new life together during the Reconstruction Era. It is much the same as the animosity we see here in the two packs of werewolves. Fortunately my Blue and Grey learned to depend upon each other rather quickly, but they still encountered the residual hatreds of some of the locals.

That's a great analogy, Will. It would be the same for any two warring parties. Can a common ground be found, will people work together to build something new, will there be others to try and tear it down just for the sake of hatred.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 4/29/2022 at 3:54 PM, WolfM said:

The stabbing could be the cause of his problems if a fragment of silver remained in him. That would be a constant source of poison and if it remained in him, Ethan would need to heal more than once until it was removed.   

Could be, but I don't think so. My thinking is that if a shard of silver was in him, he would be dead after all these years. I'm also thinking that Ethan would have noticed that. When Ethan healed Dorian the second time, nothing was expelled.

Regardless, good start to what seems to be another excellent story.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Al Norris said:

Could be, but I don't think so. My thinking is that if a shard of silver was in him, he would be dead after all these years. I'm also thinking that Ethan would have noticed that. When Ethan healed Dorian the second time, nothing was expelled.

Regardless, good start to what seems to be another excellent story.

Thank you, Al. :)

  • Love 5
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Al Norris said:

I just realized, here I am... Arguing with the author who has already written the story!

Shame on me.

You're not arguing, but pointing out possible scenarios. Being early in the book I'm also only going to point out possibilities based on what people suspect, but that doesn't mean it does or doesn't have any basis in the facts of the story because I'm evil that way. lol.

  • Haha 5
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..