Jump to content
    WolfM
  • Author
  • 2,665 Words
  • 4,299 Views
  • 27 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Alpha - 6. So Say We All

Two days had passed since the funeral. Nothing new was known about the assassin, but there was plenty of speculation based on those who most benefited from the void left in the pack’s leadership. The remainder of the council had sequestered themselves behind closed doors since the attack, as they tried to work out what to do and who should lead.

“There are five of us left, all with the experience to lead. I’m not sure how we choose since each of us will undoubtedly vote for ourselves.” Said one of them.

Another one shook his head. “We need leadership, so someone should do the honorable thing and back who they feel would be the strongest leader.”

“Wise words, so which one of us are you going to back? Or are you saying someone else should step aside and support you?”

Marshal watched his colleagues with mounting disgust. “I will not seek the position of alpha, but at present I won’t throw my support to anyone. I’ve known you all for a long time, but it’s not our place to pick. This is a decision the pack must make.”

“They’ve never had a say before so why give them one now? Contenders fight and the one who lives gets to lead. The sheep always follow. At least we’re trying to do this without anyone dying for once.”

“They deserve a say in who leads them!” With that, Marshal stood and walked out of the room.

“Well, I guess it’s just the four of us now.”

Their meeting lasted most of the afternoon with little to show for it, as they debated who was best to lead. All four men were fairly strong wolves and did have years of experience as senior counsel to the alpha. Their ambition to gain control outweighed what the pack may want for itself.

******

Marshal arrived home feeling tired. The effects of silver poisoning would be with him for some time. Seeing his mate, Sarah, made him feel a little better.

“Has the council made any progress?” She sat and cuddled against him.

“No. It’s amazing to see four grown men bickering over which one of them should be the next alpha. If something doesn’t happen soon, I fear what will happen to us.”

“I know you have no desire to lead, but perhaps you should consider it. If nothing else for the good of the pack.” Sarah kissed him on the forehead. “Personally I’d prefer you didn’t, but I can’t just think of myself.”

“I formally took myself out of the running today.”

Sarah gave a small sigh of relief at the news.

Dorian walked out of the kitchen and looked between his mother and step-father, not sure what to say.

“Dorian, I didn’t realize you were here.” Marshal held out his hand. “Now I know I’m tired if I didn’t bother to notice your scent in the house.”

“Mom called to say she had an apple pie for me. I’m sorry for eavesdropping, but wolf hearing and all… I think it’s a mistake for you not to consider becoming alpha.”

“I did consider it. I just don’t think I’m strong enough to lead, especially now. Maybe before I was shot. It isn’t a position I want, but like your mother said, I would do it for the good of the pack, if I felt I could be a good and strong leader.”

“Do you think any of the others are a good choice?”

“I told them I wouldn’t support any of them at this time.”

“Maybe we need other options.”

Marshal faced Dorian, focusing on his eyes as he looked deep into them. “What are you thinking?”

“Just something the Luna said to me after the funeral.”

“She told you how much he cared for you, didn’t she?”

“Yes, sir.” Dorian ran his hand through his thick hair.

“What else did she say?”

“That despite his fondness for me, I’ve gotten to where I am completely on my own.” He seemed to be carefully considering his next words. “She also said she thought I would make a good alpha.”

“You’re a strong wolf, young, vibrant, cunning, and intelligent. Something that would serve you well. You truly have come far in this pack on your own. The alpha valued your advice and suggestions. You never noticed the pride in his eyes when you stood your ground and proved your ideas were the right ones. What do you think about the position?”

“It isn’t something I ever wanted, but it might be what the pack needs. I don’t know if I can be a good leader. I like my life in the Hunter Corps and on the logging crew. I don’t want to give that up. But like Mom said, sometimes you have to take on things you don’t want for the good of the pack.”

“I think you’d be a far better leader than the ones arguing over it right now. Look at the work you do for the logging company and how many people you’re responsible for and in the Corps. You’re the number two person there. Alpha Wagner made you an advisor because of your ability to lead.” Marshal carefully watched his stepson and was pleased to see him thinking deeply. “Personally, I think the entire pack should have a say in who leads them. It shouldn’t be done in secret behind closed doors by those four who think the people are sheep that will always follow. If you choose to do this, you have my full support and backing.”

“Thanks, Marshal. I’m sure I’ll need a lot of your counsel.”

Sarah placed her hands on her son’s cheeks. “I’ve always been proud of you for how you put pack above your personal desires. The Luna was correct though, your heart is in the right place to lead. It isn’t something you may want, but it is a duty that needs you.”

Dorian shoved his hands in his pocked, pacing around the room as the other two watched. Finally his head began to nod as his thoughts formed into a plan. “This will most likely piss off the remaining council, as they fight to choose their own alpha, but I want to get word out for a meeting tomorrow night at the grove. I’ll go before the pack and call for anyone interested in leading to step forward. If there’s someone worthy, I’ll step aside. If not, I’ll challenge for leadership. The council can fight me or stand down. We need an alpha, and one will be chosen by the old ways.”

“You’re right. The council will be pissed, but this is for the good of the pack, not for their own ego of becoming the leader by executive decision. Between the two of us, we can make sure word spreads. I’ll personally send a summons to the council that they are required to appear at the grove.”

******

The following evening the membership assembled at the meeting grove. Everyone assumed one of the council had been chosen as the new leader, and the gathering was a formality. Twenty minutes before the meeting was scheduled to start, the four men from the council showed up, looking none too pleased.

“Who called this meeting?” One of the men shouted.

Another glared angrily at Marshal. “What have you done? I don’t appreciate being summoned like a pup to a meeting I know nothing about.”

Marshal for his part shook his head. “I’m in the dark as much as you are. I was simply asked to make sure you were here. Perhaps the pack grew tired of waiting.”

There was a lot of bickering, and Marshal finally walked off to join his mate.

At the appointed time, the council was shocked to see Dorian step to the front.

“Thank you all for heeding my call to come tonight.”

One of the council members stood before Dorian. “You have no authority to call for a meeting.”

“In the absence of leadership, any member has the right to call for a gathering of the pack.” Dorian handed the man a copy of their laws.

“We have leadership. The remainder of the council is working hard on choosing a new alpha.”

“And that is where I have a problem. This is not something that should be done behind closed doors by four men.” His eyes narrowed. “We are one pack and all have a say in who leads us. The actions of the council since this tragedy have been suspect at best.”

“Let me guess, this is your attempt at seizing control.”

All eyes seemed to focus on Dorian at the accusation from the council.

“I’ve never wanted to be alpha.” Dorian crossed his arms, glaring at the man. “That being said, I will step up to serve. Just like making sure Alpha Wagner and the others were properly honored, I will do what I need to for the good of the pack.”

He scanned the faces of those assembled and caught sight of his mother and sisters who nodded at him in support. Finding both his brothers in the crowd gave him the will to continue.

“I call for anyone who feels they are strong enough to lead us to step forward. If you do so only because you think it would be cool to be the next alpha, you needn’t bother. Because if I have reason to believe your motives are anything but in the best interest of the pack, I will challenge for leadership, and we’ll meet in the circle to decide.” He took a deep breath as his courage solidified behind his words. “If this does go to a fight, I will give one and only one chance for my opponent to yield.”

Councilman Boxner was furious. “You have no authority to call for this. Doing so you are challenging the surviving pack leadership.”

“If you see this as a challenge from me, you can step into the ring or yield, but this pack will have a say in who will lead us.”

There was lots of head nodding and shouting from the members. “He’s right. It is our say on who we want as our alpha.”

“Fine, the four of us who currently serve on the council are all stepping forward to assume the role of alpha.”

Two other men also moved to the front. One of them extended his hand to Dorian. “I stand before you all for consideration as alpha, however, if the pack does not wish to follow me, I will give my full support to Dorian.”

Most of the pack called out for Dorian and one of the others who stepped up. The pack seemed to have little interest in the council members and shouted them down when they tried to speak.

The four from the council huddled in a private conversation as they watched what Dorian put into motion threaten their power.

Out of Dorian and the two others who came forward, the one who didn’t have the support of the pack stepped back. “I’ll respect the will of the people and stand aside. Whichever of you becomes alpha, I hope to be able to serve you.” With that he returned to his seat.

The anger of the council finally exploded. The one who the other three felt was the strongest among them stepped forward. “Dorian Jackman, I challenge you for leadership of the pack.”

A hush fell over those assembled as they waited for a response.

“I accept. And as I said before if it came to this, you have one chance to yield. If we step into the ring, you will die.”

“You still have a lot to learn, Pup.”

Dorian removed his shirt as he stepped to the edge of the challenge circle. It was normally used for settling fights between pack members. This would be the first time in decades it would be used for the purpose of a leadership challenge. His mother and sisters kissed his cheek hoping it wouldn’t be the last time they saw him alive. His brothers shook his hand, as the oldest one pulled him into a hug. “You’re the strongest fighter in the family, a born warrior. You’re not fighting for the pack, but to protect Mom and our sisters.”

When both men had stripped, they dropped onto all fours and shifted. Dorian’s grey wolf stalked back and forth on his side of the ring while a sand colored wolf stood on the opposite side growling and snapping.

Marshal moved to the ring’s edge. “As a neutral representative of the council, this fight is for consideration to become alpha. The victor will not be the leader since there is at least one other challenger. Per Dorian’s offer, either of you may bow out of this now and forfeit. If you enter the ring, only one may exit.”

Both wolves rushed into the circle and were immediately on the offensive. Dorian was much younger but already had years of combat training. The other wolf had experience, but none that rivaled how the Jackman boys had been raised. Within moments, the sandy wolf was knocked off his feet when Dorian’s grey wolf went for the throat. In fear of their council compatriot losing quickly, the three remaining leaders shifted and rushed into the ring. Faced with four wolves, Dorian had to pull back from the kill. As they attacked him in mass, he managed to break the leg of one, viciously dragged his claws across the face of another, and sliced open the belly of a third. Four on one, even with his speed and fighting ability was a potentially hopeless cause for Dorian.

The two men who had come forward when Dorian asked for volunteers rapidly shed their clothes and shifted. They sprinted into the ring, each attacking one of the council wolves. This left Dorian with two to contend with on his own. These were more favorable odds he could handle. He raked his claws over the eyes of one wolf, finishing the job he started earlier and blinded it before lunging at the throat of his original challenger. His powerful jaws gripped the sandy wolf’s neck severing the artery, covering them both in blood. He held tight until the wolf stopped moving and dropped the dead animal to the ground. Returning his attention to the blind wolf, he clamped his powerful jaws behind its head and shook violently, breaking the neck and killing the second councilman.

The remaining two were being held down by the wolves who came to his assistance. He stalked over to each and one at a time swept his claws across their throats, leaving them to bleed out. Even though he felt they were unworthy, he nudged their bodies into a peaceful position once they were dead. Stepping up to his saviors, Dorian lowered his head before licking the blood off their muzzles. When they bowed their head in return, Dorian threw his head back and howled in triumph. His shout was echoed by the pair who backed out of the ring.

Dorian returned to his human form feeling exhausted from the fight.

Flanked by the two men, each placed a hand on the hunter’s shoulders. “We both step aside in favor of Dorian Jackman as alpha.”

As Dorian turned to both men to make sure, they nodded.

“I didn’t choose this path and did not seek this position. I challenged because I didn’t like what they were doing. This is your choice. If it’s the will of this pack, I will lead you to the best of my ability. I ask once again if there is anyone who feels they can care for this pack as Alpha Wagner did.”

One by one, the members dropped to one knee and bowed their heads respectfully. “May the moon guide our new alpha. The Pitt River Pack pledges its loyalty to Alpha Dorian Jackman.”

“So say we all.”

Copyright © 2020 WolfM; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 53
  • Love 50
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



On 3/16/2020 at 3:20 PM, Taurec said:

Ahhh, BSG is back! 😉

 

On 3/17/2020 at 11:00 AM, WolfM said:

I knew at least one of my readers would get that reference. :)

Blech! 🤢

Now if it had been B5...

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
18 hours ago, Al Norris said:

Blech! 🤢

Now if it had been B5...

LMAO. I couldn't think of any applicable quote from B5.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 2/11/2023 at 8:06 PM, astone2292 said:

I agree with raven. Such a bittersweet victory, but what a battle! 

Now you got me reading like a madman...

I appreciate it, Astone. :hug:

  • Love 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..