Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 543 Words
  • 2,110 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Covids - 1. Pizza

“It’s not your dad’s fault Kevin, he can’t help what surname was passed down to him.”

“I know Mum, but it’s just not fair.”

“I know love, so while the pizza bakes, why don’t you go and talk to your dad, he’s feeling bad about you ignoring him lately. I think he’s watching the news.”

 

“Hi Dad, what’s happening, can I sit with you?”

“Sure son let’s watch the news together.”

Kevin sat quietly beside his father as he knew his father liked watching the TV news without disruption. He picked up his phone but noticed his battery was extremely low so he put it on to charge and returned to the couch and watched the news with his father. After a few minutes Kevin broke the imposed silence.

“Hey Dad, this is great.”

“What’s that son?”

“Watching the news on TV, I’ve not done this before.”

“What do you like about it?”

“Well, you don’t have to search for the news items, it’s just all presented there for you. Also it doesn’t seem to buffer or drop out. How do they do that? Great tech!”

Daniel smiled at his son’s remark and replied “It’s called free-to-air television; a tried and true technology that’s been around for a long time.”

“That’s amazing, and the screen’s big enough to see people’s faces. Can we do this together more often Dad?”

“I look forward to it Kev.”

Kevin moved a little closer to his father and said “Me too Dad, I like us doing stuff together.”

“Pizza’s ready Kevin,” was heard from the kitchen “But I need someone with a good eye to slice it, don’t want you and your sister arguing about who got the biggest slice.”

“Coming Mum, I‘ll do it, don’t let Chris anywhere near it.”

Kevin was meticulous about his pizza cutting. With the precision of a surgeon he manoeuvred the rocker blade deftly enough to present his family with pizzas cut into eight identical size pieces. Daniel, on the other hand, was a wheel man and ploughed into the pizza with all the subtly of a dodgem car driver. When he was younger this annoyed Kevin immensely sowhen he was old enough he usurped his father’s position as the family pizza cutter and insisted his mum buy a rocker blade.

Over dinner the family discussed the impending Corona Virus crisis and how it might affect them. Daniel said to his wife “Jenny, I hear they might force restaurants to close because of the social distancing problem.”

“Yes I know, Mario mentioned it last night, he’s going to try to keep operating as long as he can but warned us we might be stood down any day now. What about you?”

“As a health professional we will be considered essential but have been asked to find alternative methods of practice. I’m working on some ideas. Now kids what’s happening with you?”

Christine spoke first, “We’re finding it difficult to practice social distancing at uni so they are moving towards doing lectures online. What about you Kev?”

“The principal mentioned something at assembly but was a bit vague. Personally I can’t wait till they shut the place down and I don’t have to spend my days with those Neanderthals.”

Copyright © 2020 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I think Kevin just dissed Neanderthals...a bit unjustly too.  The dipshits at his school wouldn't know a genus from a genius. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..