Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 752 Words
  • 1,421 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Covids - 20. A Provisional Hug

Jenny and Daniel discussed at length whether or not to tell Kevin about his birth father. In the end they decided that not to tell him would just perpetuate the lie that Jenny had told by omission. It was decided that Jenny would tell him alone, then, depending on his reaction and his wishes, Daniel would be brought into the discussion later.

“Kevin, I have something to tell you that will come as a complete surprise to you, but I want you to listen to me first and let me finish before you interrupt.”

“Well, sounds serious. Do I usually interrupt when you are talking to me, Mum?”

“Yes, Kevin you do.”

“OK shoot.”

“Kevin....” Jenny paused and realised that she should have rehearsed this beforehand.

“Yes Mum, are you alright?”

“Sorry Kevin, I’m just not sure how to say this. I’m so worried about how you will react.”

“Now you’ve got me worried Mum, are you dying of some horrible disease?”

“No, it’s nothing like that; it’s about something that happened many years ago. Something I did.”

“Mum, get it out will you, I’ve got stuff to do. I don’t really care if you robbed a bank or even killed someone, just tell me.”

“I didn’t kill someone Kevin, it’s nothing like that.”

“Good, now.....” Kevin stared at his mother questioningly.

“Kevin, your father is not really your father.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“I mean Daniel Covid is not your birth father. Of course he’s your father in the sense that he raised you, but he’s not your natural father.”

“Fuck me Mum, you mean you had an affair and got preggy by someone else?”

“That’s pretty much it Kev.”

“So, who is my father, do you know who it is? Is he anyone I know?”

“Yes, I do know and no, you don’t know him. He hasn’t been around since before you were born.”

“Well that is interesting.... does Dad know?”

“He does now, but I only told him recently. Or more correctly he found out himself recently.”

“OK, let me get this straight; Dad is not my father, in the true sense and you didn’t tell him. So how did he find out?...Wait, his name’s on my birth certificate.”

“That’s true, but...”

“So you mean I’m not really related to him by blood and my Gran is not really my Gran and....Chris is only my half sister. Am I right so far Mother?” He said with an emphasis on the word Mother.

“Well, strictly speaking, yes, but nobody loves you any the less because of it.”

“Who knows about this, besides you and Dad, or should I say Daniel?”

“Don’t say that Kevin, he’s your father in every other sense.”

“Alright, I’ll give you that.”

Thanks Kevin, but to answer your question; your Gran knows and has always known, but Christine and Jason don’t know.”

“Hang on, you’re telling me that my Dad didn’t know but Gran and presumably Gramps did know. How’s that?”

“Before I go into that Kevin I need to know how you feel about this news and how you feel about your father?”

“Which one?”

“Don’t be flippant Kevin; you know whom I mean.”

“Sorry, but this is a lot to take in Mum and I might just be a little off centre for a while.”

“I know Kevin, just take it easy and try not to think any less of your father and as for me...well I don’t know what you think of me for keeping this from you all these years.”

“I don’t know either Mum, but I’ll certainly tell you when I figure it out. Can we just leave it at that for now, I need to be on my own to deal with this.”

“Sure, if that’s what you want, but I’m sure your father wants to talk to you about this also.”

“I get that, but not now, please Mum.”

“Sure, whenever you’re ready. But I need to tell Christine and later Jason. Are you alright with that?”

“I suppose so.”

“Do I get a hug before you go?”

“Do you think you deserve one?”

“Only you can decide that, son.”

“OK, come here, but it’s only a provisional hug until I decide if you deserve it.”

“Fair enough.”

As they hugged Kevin asked “Do you think there’s any chance that I’m not related to Jason at all?”

“Sorry, no such luck; I was there when he was born.”

“What?...oh I get it.”

How will Kevin react when he has time to absorb the revelation?
Copyright © 2020 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

🤣 It’s amazing that in the midst of all this shocking news Kevin can express his dislike for his brother. That’s siblings for you 😂 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Kevin took the news reasonably well, when it has settled in and shocked him. He will feel anger towards his mother and grandparents from keeping him away from his real Dad, who he will want to find.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I don't think the news has really sunk in yet and that is partly why he is not ready to talk to Daniel.  Also mom gave a somewhat sanitized version of the story.  I'm wondering what happens when Kevin presses for all the details.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 10/24/2020 at 12:38 AM, Daddydavek said:

I don't think the news has really sunk in yet and that is partly why he is not ready to talk to Daniel.  Also mom gave a somewhat sanitized version of the story.  I'm wondering what happens when Kevin presses for all the details.

I agree with @Daddydavek!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..