Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 868 Words
  • 1,573 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Covids - 11. Grand Designs

Daniel’s mother was happy with the idea of having someone come to live closer to her and overjoyed that her family were all so thoughtful and caring. Over the next week there were a number of family conferences via phone and text. So many, that Beryl became confused as to how this would be resolved. She didn’t mind who came to support her, she just wanted them to sort it out.

Over one of their family dinner meetings Daniel told his family of the discussions with his mother. “Kids, I’ve talked to your Gran and also to Jason and Colleen and we’ve all agreed on who will go to live with Gran.”

“So who will it be?” asked Kevin hopefully.

“It will be Jason and Colleen.”

“Oh the favourite son wins again.” protested Kevin.

“It makes more sense Kevin.”

“Why?” he grumped.

“Firstly you are too young Kevin, and your Mum feels that Chris shouldn’t take on that responsibility while she is studying. If it’s Jason and Colleen, they can give up their flat and save rent. Also, Colleen is a nurse and can help Gran if she does need extra support.”

“I think that’s a very good arrangement.” agreed Jenny “It suits everyone’s needs.”

“Except mine.” said a disappointed Kevin.

“But we will need your help Kevin. I’ve a very important task for you.”

“Yeah, what can I do?”

“That little flat hasn’t been used in years. It’s dirty, full of junk and the last time it was painted was when you were about seven and you insisted that we all draw something on the walls.”

“Yeah, I remember that, Gramps said we could paint whatever we liked. He was great; I miss him lots.”

“I know Son, we all do. But back to the job; I think it would be great if you would take on the task of cleaning out the flat and re-painting it. Are you up for it?”

Kevin thought for a few moments, then “Sure, can’t wait to get started. Chris, can you help me with some paint colour ideas and Mum you can do curtains and stuff and Dad you can take the old crap to the tip.”

“Well, we seem to have us a project manager.” said Daniel.

“Yeah just like Grand Designs.” said Kevin proudly. “Hey that gives me an idea. How about we document this, I can put it on my channel and Gran will have a record to keep.”

“That’s my son.” said a proud mother.

A few days later Daniel and Kevin went over to the flat and started removing what wasn’t needed. If in doubt about the value of anything they tapped on the kitchen window and Beryl would take a look through the window. Thumbs up, it went to the garage, thumbs down, it was added to the pile of rubbish that would later be taken to the tip. The boys managed to clear the small flat in one morning so they waved goodbye to Gran and went home.

The following morning Daniel’s mother called to tell him she had been into the flat and was pleased with their work.

“You boys have certainly been busy. I had forgotten what that place looked like. I haven’t been in there for years. Your father kept so much stuff it was impossible to get beyond the door.”

“Yeah, he was a bit of a hoarder. I doubt he even knew what was in there.”

“I want to talk to you about this plan Son.”

“You haven’t had second thoughts, have you Mum?”

“Well...sort of. I...”

Daniel interrupted. “Mum we agreed this was the best way to go.”

“Daniel, you are a physiologist, are you not?”

“Yes Mum.”

“Well, physiologists are supposed to be good listeners, so listen.”

“Sorry Mum.”

“What I want to tell you is that I still love the idea of Jason and Colleen coming to live here, but I want them to have the house and I will move into the flat. I don’t want to spend the rest of my life cleaning this big place. The little flat will be just perfect for one. They can make better use of a bigger house to entertain family and friends, when we can do that again and besides I might become a great grandmother in a year or so and they will need the extra space. It makes much more sense Daniel.”

“I see your point Mum, but are you sure you won’t feel like you are being pushed out of your home?”

“It’s my decision Daniel, so that’s the way it will be.”

“OK, as long as you are happy with that. Do you want me to tell Jason and Colleen?”

“No, I think I might enjoy doing that. I’ll give them a call when we finish talking.”

“I think that’s a great idea Mum. I’ll let you go so you can tell them the good news.”

“Oh one more thing before you go. That wall where the kids did all those drawings years ago, I’d like to keep it as it is. Don’t paint over it; there are lots of nice memories there.”

“Wow, the kids will be thrilled. Bye Mum.”

Copyright © 2020 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter. So Jason is gonna look after Gran, but he's gonna get a surprise in that he's getting the house not the flat.he 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

A very sweet chapter though the family must be getting aggravated with Kevin’s attitude. Of course the only person who might understand it is mom since she guessed he was gay back in chapter 1 even though he denied it. His somewhat homophobic comment about wondering if Jason is maybe gay seems to indicate he’s possibly got some internal homophobia and likely wanted to move into the flat to get some distance from his family. I mean his dad doesn’t seem homophobic but his mom asked if Kevin was being distant with his dad because he’s gay implying dad might be a little homophobic. Many of us know what it’s like to be surrounded by people that make you feel like you can’t be your true self and Kevin is likely feeling that way right about now especially with the virus keeping them all bottled up together 24/7.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, NimirRaj said:

A very sweet chapter though the family must be getting aggravated with Kevin’s attitude. Of course the only person who might understand it is mom since she guessed he was gay back in chapter 1 even though he denied it. His somewhat homophobic comment about wondering if Jason is maybe gay seems to indicate he’s possibly got some internal homophobia and likely wanted to move into the flat to get some distance from his family. I mean his dad doesn’t seem homophobic but his mom asked if Kevin was being distant with his dad because he’s gay implying dad might be a little homophobic. Many of us know what it’s like to be surrounded by people that make you feel like you can’t be your true self and Kevin is likely feeling that way right about now especially with the virus keeping them all bottled up together 24/7.

Hi NimirRaj, I like the way you analyse the chapter to find the characters' motives and how they are thinking. Your reading technique is very perceptive. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

Daniel's mum is a treasure!

Kevin being given a job, took responsibility and came up with a plan!

So, is he now forgiven?

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..