Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 696 Words
  • 1,213 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Covids - 8.  Dream On

Daniel Covid was becoming increasingly concerned about his aging mother living alone, but could not think of any way to resolve the problem. She was in the vulnerable age group for the Corona virus so needed special care. He decided to have a family meeting, over dinner, to discuss possible options.

“Kids, I’m concerned about your Gran living alone. Since your Gramps died she has coped, as she is still very active and independent, but in these times I think she needs more support.”

Kevin suggested, “We’d love to have her come and live here, wouldn’t we Chris?”

“Sure, that would be great.”

“I don’t think that’s wise, given her age and the medical advice we are getting about the over 70s age group being particularly vulnerable to this virus.”

“Yeah, I see what you mean” agreed Jenny, “... and if we went to live with Beryl that wouldn’t solve the problem either.”

“Dad, that’s really sad, I miss Gran and it’s not fair that we can’t visit her.”

“I know Kevin but it’s for your Gran’s own good. How would you feel if one of us gave the virus to her and worse still, if it killed her?”

“I’d feel really shitty, of course, so what can we do?”

Christine then spoke “Dad, remember when we were young and Kevin asked Gramps to build us a cubby house at their place?”

“No, but go on.”

“As it turned out, instead of building us a cubby, he let us use that little flat behind the garage and told us we could decorate it any way we liked.”

“I remember that Dan,” offered Jenny, “Remember he had you disconnect the water and electricity so that it would be safe for the kids?”

“You’re right, and when the kids grew out of that, I think they just used it for storage. So what are you thinking Chris?”

“What if someone went to live in the flat, but not actually in Gran’s house? Then she would feel safer, and we could do her shopping and stuff for her. We’d be close but not in direct contact.”

“That’s brilliant Sis, so Dad, when can I move in.” said Kevin enthusiastically.

“Back up boy, it was my idea and besides I’m older, so I should get to move out first. But either way, it would mean I didn’t have to live with you any longer.”

“My feelings exactly, so we agree, it’ll be me.”

“Both of you hold on a bit, we have to ask your Gran first.” replied Daniel.

“So we let her pick who she wants. I know she’ll pick me.” said Kevin.

“Hmpff.” from Christine. “Dream on.”

“OK, you two, I think your father should talk to your Gran, see what she thinks and go from there.”

“I’ll call her tomorrow Jenny. OK with you two.”

“Yes Dad.” They replied in unison.

Later in the evening, Kevin asked “Dad, if there are so many cures available for the Corona virus, how come so many people are still dying from it?”

“There’s no cure, where did you get that impression, Kevin?”

“Well you know how the USA is always better at doing everything.”

“Sometimes, but not always, what’s your point?”

“Well Trump reckons that it can be cured by that hydroxy stuff and ultra violet light and sunlight and now disinfectant.”

“Firstly hydroxychloroquine is a known treatment for malaria but there is still is no conclusive evidence that it can successfully treat corona virus. Heavy doses of ultraviolet light or sunlight won’t cure the virus but will give you a bad sunburn, if not skin cancer.”

“What about drinking or injecting disinfectant?”

“You would probably make a very clean corpse.”

Christine asked “Kevin I can’t believe you would be fooled by that man’s stupid statements.”

“You’re not the only one who has a satirical view of politics.”

“OK, good one Kev.” she replied “But I heard him say this morning that he was trying to be sarcastic when he spoke about the disinfectant treatment, but nobody seemed to get the joke.”

“With someone as mad as him, it’s hard to tell the difference isn’t it?” added Daniel.

Copyright © 2020 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 5
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter. I love how they want to help Gran, but protect her. I'm glad to see the family discussing things that were suggested as treatment for the disease.

Edited by chris191070
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..