Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 386 Words
  • 1,675 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Covids - Prologue. Kevin Has a Problem

“I don’t want to go to school Mum, they keep picking on me. It’s just not fair Mum, it’s not my fault. What should I do?”

“Well son, it’s school holidays next week so you’ll have a few weeks away from those bullies and maybe things will be better then.”

“I hope so, I can’t take it anymore.”

“Now why don’t you come and help be prepare dinner, we’ll make your favourite and that will take your mind off it.”

“Great! Can I have mine half ham and pineapple and half salami?”

“Anything you want Kevin.”

Kevin and his mother busied themselves with chopping and kneading; then from a cloud of flour, Kevin asked “Mum, why did you marry Dad?”

“Well, we were young and in love and wanted to be together.”

“But weren’t there any other young men you could have married?”

“There were others. In fact I was quite popular and dated a few boys that were good husband material, but I guess in the end the chemistry was just right between us. But your father has always been good to you and until recently you two got on really well. Why the sudden change? Is this just teenage growing pains?”

“Muuum really, you haven’t worked it out yet?”

“Worked out what Kevin, you’re not gay are you? Because if you are it’s fine with me, I will still love you just the same. Is that why you have distanced yourself from Dad lately? Don’t worry, I’ll support you when you tell him and I’m sure that even if he’s not immediately on board he will come around and love you as he always has.”

“No Mum, I’m not gay.”

“Then why have you been bullied at school, if you are not gay. Do the boys think you are just because you don’t like football and take ballet classes?”

“No Mum, it has nothing to do with that. It’s my name, that’s why they pick on me.”

“What’s wrong with Kevin? It’s a beautiful name and very Aussie. It meanskind, gentle and handsome; that really suits you. I know of a lot of famous men named Kevin, like Kevin Rudd, Kevin Costner and so on.”

“Mum, it’s not Kevin, it’s our family name. They tease me because my name is Kevin Covid.”

Copyright © 2020 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow, talk about 'an albatross around your neck',  or a 'monkey on your back', or any other kind of name that could bring bullying on a child. But family name 'Covid' during this COrona VIrus Disease (hence the name) ?

Young Kevin certainly has a cross to bear. :(

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

That's what I thought when I first came up with the idea. How would one cope. As it turned out it is not all fiction. His father I named Daniel for no particular reason, then about a month ago I did a search for the surname Covid and discovered a Daniel Covid in the phone directory. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
17 hours ago, Wombat Bill said:

That's what I thought when I first came up with the idea. How would one cope. As it turned out it is not all fiction. His father I named Daniel for no particular reason, then about a month ago I did a search for the surname Covid and discovered a Daniel Covid in the phone directory. 

I think that any judge would allow a quick name change, perhaps a family middle name or even just 'Divoc'? Oh crap, I just realized if you add an 'e'... 

Anyway perhaps you can have Kevin do a school 'ancestry' project where he discovers Australian authorities mis-spelled his ancestor's name when they arrived from Europe. An all too common occurrence back in the day. For example, Corvid is part of the European Corvus genus for high intelligent birds, (such as Australian Raven) Just putting that info out there.

:wizard:

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..