Jump to content
    Xfighter1984
  • Author
  • 1,388 Words
  • 1,180 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Slice of Life - 15. Chapter 14 - Cracked Wide Open

“It has been a while. I am not sure if you still drank your coffee the same way – extra sweet and too much cream,” Jasper laughed as he placed a cup in front of Jessica; he continued, “You seem pretty shook up, was it that bad?”

Jessica stared at her cup with steam slowly rising from the hot liquid as she gathered her thoughts. “I do not know how to get through to Kyle anymore; he went off the deep end this time and between me and his agent, it took every connection that we had to keep this out of the media.” She sighed as she took a sip of her coffee and smiled. “Yup, just the way I remember it.”

Jasper sat quietly looking at his friend before him. The time away had been good for Jessica but coming back just to pick up the pieces that were Kyle seemed to take a toll on her. Jasper broke his silence, “Galant’s preview party...” Jessica looked up in surprise waiting for him to continue. “Kyle was there, I was there, and so was Xavier. Kyle did not take the big reveal well,” Jasper reached into his bag pulling out the catalog with Xavier’s picture on the cover page. “In my opinion, this is tame compared to the racier and more… surprising ones on the inside.”

Jessica inquired, “How did you feel about it?”

“Proud, I am very pleased with how much he has grown.” Jasper chuckled with a faraway look in his eyes. “He is not the boy that we remember, but he is still a man worth desiring.” He whispered more to himself than to Jessica.

Jessica continued, “I feared what your presence could mean all those years ago. I figured that you were the one who would take him away, and I would be left in the dust. I know that it was partly my own doing, but there used to be a part of me looking for a way to shift the blame away from myself so that I could swoop in and save Xavier from the hurt of men.”

Jasper looked down at her with a raised eyebrow. “Back then, I never meant to hurt him. I was young and stupid in following the guidance of the wrong head – but that is just part of growing up in owning and learning from our mistakes.”

“I owe you an apology. My rhetoric that all guys were just after one thing poisoned his mind. I am sure that I sabotaged both you and Kyle,” Jessica stated wistfully.

Jasper reached across the table grabbing hold of her hand. “You cannot take all the blame, after all, both Kyle and I only served to prove your words correctly. In a way, it was probably for the best as I do not think that Xavier would have flourished the way he had if he was still in our sphere of influence.”

****  

Kyle heard the door to his room open; he did not feel like dealing with any more doctors or nurses asking if he was okay. The joys of a private suite were that only a few people knew who and where he was located. He knew that he had demons and was not really in the mood to talk about his ‘feelings,’ so he just pretended to remain asleep. His confusion grew as he felt a presence, which was accompanied with the usual medical jargon and sounds of equipment. He felt a hand push his hair aside, but as quickly as it came, it was gone. Kyle was just ready to open his eyes when he felt a weight on the bed, and someone slide in behind him cradling him and despite the passage of time, he knew who was holding him.

“I remember the first time that we laid together like this; we had to be no older than ten, and you were afraid of a thunderstorm. Somehow, you found your way in bed with me during every storm; I guess it helped that we only lived a few houses apart,” Xavier laughed lightly.

“I think that was the day I knew; I would always find comfort with you just being there with me.” Kyle let out a deep breath as he rolled over to face Xavier. He stared into the eyes of the boy that he once knew, which was now attached to a man that he barely recognized. Kyle leaned forward bringing their lips together, but it was not romantic as it was more out of a need for love and comfort. “I got it wrong; I loved you deeply, but I do not think that we were IN love with each other....”

“It was a brotherly love,” Xavier finished. “I know, I realized it too,” Kyle concurred.

“I missed you,” Kyle wailed as he buried his face in Xavier’s chest as his tears flowed freely. Years of buildup, pain, loneliness, and his meaningless encounters reached a catharsis. Xavier held him tight as Kyle let himself for the first time in a long time, grieve, and clung to him like a life raft. “Please do not go, not again,” Kyle whispered, as he drifted off to sleep – a combination of being physically and emotionally drained and the effects of medications.

It was in this position that they were discovered when Jessica and Jasper entered the room. They were shocked at the scene before them. Xavier turned toward the sound of the newcomers and was unprepared to face them both.

“I think...I am going to go grab a coffee...from the bathroom...I will be back,” Jasper left hastily.

“No, it is not what it looks like... uh, Jessica, hi... uh,” Jessica let out a genuine laugh at the distress on Xavier’s face.

“This reminds me of that summer during freshman year when I found you boys in the same position. I recall that it had something to do with Kyle hating thunderstorms,” she laughed. “You better go find Jasper; I can sit with Kyle for a bit, and it looks like he will not be getting up anytime soon.”

Xavier straightened his clothes, but before he could run out the door, Jessica grabbed him bringing him into a heartfelt hug. “I missed you, when settled, we should sit and talk. Now, get out of here,” Xavier was in a daze as he rushed out of the room.

“So, you and Kyle seem...close,” Xavier jumped, he was not expecting Jasper to be seated just outside the room, not after having run out so quickly. Xavier brought his breathing back under control before sitting down next to Jasper.

“I realized that I will always hold a place in my heart for Kyle,” Xavier could see Jasper’s body tense up. “We both realized that we share a bond more akin to love as a sibling. I think back then we just kind of fell into what we thought should be the natural progression and started dating, but we agree that we both got it wrong,” Xavier stood pulling Jasper with him. “I wanted to make sure that he was okay, and I think he will be fine with support from his friends,” Xavier was interrupted by his phone ringing in his pocket, and he quickly looked at the screen before looking back at Jasper. “I need to take this and get back to my office...it was good to see you again Jasper,” Xavier pulled out his card placing it in Jasper’s hand. “Give me a call sometime. I would like to catch up with you properly.” Xavier pulled him into a quick hug, letting him go, and answering his phone, “Yes Charity, I am in route; I will see you in five.”

Jasper watched after Xavier as he walked away; only this time, he felt a sense of hope for the future. He laughed to himself when he looked at the card in his hand. Xavier had never changed his number, who would have guessed. Jasper had never thought to try.

“Look at you – all smiles,” Jessica poked her head from inside the room. “Do not look at me like that, Kyle is out like a light, but like you, he seems to be breathing a little bit easier.”

Copyright © 2017 Xfighter1984; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 5
  • Haha 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow, that was sudden and unexpected and definitely shifted the story dynamic and mood. Life seems much better for the three now good friends.

Xavier made the first move and took the right step to lay beside Kyle in his hospital bed. Xavier and Kyle realized that are more like brothers and are not meant to be lovers. I expect he win end his self-destruction dating trying to find a Xavier replacement.

Jasper now know Xavier is not into Kyle and is open to talking more to him. Jessica has her old friends back and is no longer going to try to win over Xavier as a bf. It all sounds healthy and on the right track. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

It appears that they have matured over the past 10 years. I always returned to high school graduation when Xavier gave them all the opportunity for redemption, so it appears that most of the conflict has been resolved. Although it may seem easy for some, it is difficult to throw away long term friendships for lapses of judgment especially from immature adolescents. 

There appears to be a long way for them to go, but at least they can focus on adulthood and not fixate on the past. We shall see how Kyle recovers, it is clear that he suffered the most because he lost the most. We shall see where Jasper’s passion leads him. 
 

So far, what was revealed was that it is best not to mess with a good thing. Xavier and Kyle were already close friends, so changing the friendship from platonic to romantic was a big mistake. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..