Jump to content
    Xfighter1984
  • Author
  • 1,228 Words
  • 1,214 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Slice of Life - 9. Chapter 9 - Set Me Free

The air was filled with excitement and anticipation as the student body waited for their names to be called and their moment to walk across the stage. They had done it – high school was officially over with new and exciting challenges awaiting them.

The three friends sat together joining in the cheers for the peers as each received their diploma. There was an immediate silence when the principal called out Xavier’s name as no one had seen or heard from him directly for months. Kyle and Jasper felt their jaws drop as they watched Xavier strut across the stage with an air of confidence that they had never seen before as his ponytail swished back and forth gracefully with every step.

As quickly as he had appeared, he was gone. The murmur amongst the students was immediate as no one expected Xavier’s appearance. Shortly thereafter, the three friends sat astonished lost in their own worlds as Xavier had announced that he would be attending one of the top business schools in the country – hundreds of miles away from any of them.

“Remember everyone, my graduation party starts at seven tonight, hope to see you all there,” Jessica shouted making her way to her car. She was in a hurry to try and catch Xavier before he left, but he was nowhere to be found as he had just disappeared into the wind. She sighed as she sat behind the wheel of her car. He looked so good; it was supposed to be them against the world, but she knew that she was partly to blame for their separation.

Kyle strolled into the party fashionably late. He had to work up the motivation to even appear at the event. The prospect of seeing Xavier was a motivating factor and given the size of the crowd, it seemed that this event was not an original thought or idea. He nodded at Jasper as they passed each other on their way to the punch bowl; they had not been physical in any capacity since the revelation to Xavier, but their mutual interest in sports kept them as pretty good friends.

Kyle remained a bit of a wallflower but perked up when he heard the girls in front of him whispering about Xavier arriving in a new car. Kyle hurriedly finished his drink before making his way to the pool house entrance. He was stunned watching Xavier laugh and chat with various people all interested in the story of his disappearance and reemergence. Kyle locked eyes with Jasper briefly before they both returned their focus to Xavier. He was wearing a nicely fitted shirt with the top three buttons open showing his new tight and toned body tucked into a pair of designer jeans, which hugged his perky posterior perfectly. Unlike at the graduation, his hair was flowing loosely but still styled away from his face highlighting his Native American roots in all its glory. Kyle’s mouth became dry, and he physically aroused; looking over at Jasper again briefly, he could see Xavier was having the same effect on him.

“I am so happy you made it; I've missed you so much,” Jessica cried as she pulled Xavier into a hug. She let out a deep breath when she felt him embrace her back and genuinely smile down at her. She lightly hit his chest surprised at how firm it was as opposed to what she was accustom. “Why didn’t you tell me you were going halfway across the country for school? We had planned our college lives together for ages.” Xavier smiled and shrugged at her.

“It was an offer that I couldn’t refuse; besides, I think it's for the best...for all of us.” Xavier smiled and hugged her again. “Time heals all wounds, or at least that’s what they say. I haven’t had enough time yet, but one day, I may get there... this time following my own advice.”

Jessica and their peers looked on as Xavier mingled throughout the party making sure to say a few words to everyone including Jasper and Kyle before finally jumping into his cute little convertible and driving off.

****  

“In just a few days, this place will be in our rearview mirrors, we’ve had some good memories in this town,” Kyle said to himself as he moved back and forth on the swing set from their youth.

“I thought I might find you here,” Kyle looked up at Xavier standing off to the side

“I didn’t know if I would get to talk to you before you left; I heard you were leaving today,” Kyle whispered sadly.

“Nah, first thing tomorrow, I am on the road – just me and the wind. The weather is perfect for the top to be down.” He smiled as he glanced back at his car. “Anyway, I just wanted to say, one day, we will be able to sit down and have a proper conversation. Right now, I am still hurt, and it’s all very raw and real for me. I know there are things that I could have done better, but for now at least, don’t leave here thinking I hate you. I just need time.” Xavier leaned down and hugged Kyle.

Kyle couldn’t help but watch Xavier walk away. As the engine of his car came to life, Kyle felt like the love of his life was leaving him behind; ultimately, he had only himself to blame. Losing Xavier felt like a mortal wound hurting more than anything that he had ever experienced. He shed silent tears as the sound of Xavier’s car faded into the distance.

****  

Jasper sat on the hood of his car looking down at the town below. He traced his lips gently with his fingers remembering one of his last dates with Xavier here. He rubbed his hands through his hair in frustration before laying back on the hood of his car staring up at the stars.

“You know, your hair is almost as pretty as mine,” Xavier laughed from behind causing Jasper to quickly jump up and lose his footing. Xavier reached out and grabbed hold of him. “The night you brought me here was one of the best nights that I had experienced in a long time. We had some good times together.” Xavier gave Jasper a quick kiss on the cheek. “I don’t regret the good memories that we made, and maybe someday, the bad ones will fade far enough into the background where we might be able to share some new good ones.”

Jasper contemplated that this new Xavier was a sight to see as he watched him walk away. Jasper kicked his feet in the gravel knowing that indulging in an easy opportunity landed him here. Watching a boy, he could love with all his heart walk away into an unsure future likely without him hurts badly.

****  

The music blasted through the speaker and wind swept through Xavier’s hair. He drove down the highway in his little car packed with his essentials, his laptop, clothes, and a gaming system. His self-imposed isolation gave him perspective to realize that life is full of challenges, and his biggest challenges await him. A mixture of sorrow and joy filled his spirit as he sang along to the words coming through his radio. “I ain’t got no more tears to cry, and I can't take this no more, you know I gotta let it go...”

-Song Credit – Anastacia – I'm Outta Love

Copyright © 2017 Xfighter1984; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 8
  • Wow 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Xavier appears to have evolved from tragedy whereby his suffering gave him perspective. The temptation is strong to look back, so can he resist the urge? Only time will tell.

  • Like 2
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Link to comment

Please tell me that Xavier is not going to have a "Thelma and Louise" moment driving "off" in his convertible.

So who will it be that changes their plans and ends up at the same college as Xavier??

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..