Jump to content
    Xfighter1984
  • Author
  • 1,389 Words
  • 1,325 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Slice of Life - 10. Chapter 10 - The Future is Bright

There was a knock on his office door before his executive assistant walked in placing several files on his desk. “Excuse me, sir, your afternoon meeting is ready in conference room three,” Xavier nodded as he began skimming through the files that she presented.

“Thank you, Charity. Tell me, what is your assessment of last quarter's performance?” Xavier closed the current file on his desk as he leaned back in his chair.

“If I may be frank, last quarter was stagnant. There was hardly any growth while playing safe is not a terrible strategy, we need something new and fresh to remain relevant.” Xavier leaned forward with his chin resting on his hands as Charity laid out her thoughts. He gestured for her to have a seat before pulling a folder from his desk. “Sir, your afternoon...”

Xavier held his hand up interrupting her, “As you have been effectively made aware, this company has gone stagnant, so let them sweat a bit,” Xavier winked at her as he slid the file forward. “More importantly, inside this file, you will find an offer for the lead talent scout. Should you accept the offer, I charge you with bringing me new faces and inspiration.”

“Of course, I apologize. It would be an honor to accept this position,” Charity smiled.

“Wonderful, now let us go make the formal introduction,” Xavier grinned.

Xavier has a natural business acumen who could have been very successful on Wall Street if he so desired. However, his passion for the fashion world exploded combined with his savvy business sense, he spent the last ten years after college graduation to grow a relatively unknown brand into a household name. His staff tried fruitlessly to get him to model some of their debut pieces based on his stunning good looks, warm personality, and absolute confidence.

Looking at his watch, Xavier had not realized how much time had elapsed while he was catching up on work. He hung his blazer over the back of his chair and sat back as he turned on his office television for some background noise.

****  

A gossip column headlined, “Five-time champion, successful in the arena, but terrible in his love life… more to come.”

A popular sports social media page posted, “Tonight, Breaking News, Five-time champion called it quits with his latest fiancé. Sources close to the basketball star declined to comment on his running tally of failed relationships...”

“They are just scavengers! Would it be too much trouble to ask just to be left alone?” Kyle shouted into his phone regarding the coverage of his personal life. He cannot seem to escape bad news.

Suddenly, Kyle’s phone received a notification containing a link to footage of his ex-boyfriend fleeing from his apartment in utter distress. The reporter in the video stated excitedly, “Can our basketball star succeed in life outside of the arena? Any updates regarding our champion, we will be the first to report it.” Kyle groaned.

Jessica stated bluntly, “What do you expect? Social media loves any information that they can get on you; remember, you are a very successful star basketball player. On a more serious note, I think you should take some time away from the dating scene. I know what you are doing, and this is not a good look.” Kyle stared blankly at the screen showing the surreptitious image of his ex-boyfriend leaving his apartment. Kyle knew exactly why his relationships have failed; they were not him. “Have you spoken to him since the launch of his new head office?” Jessica inquired.

“Jessica, you know the answer to that question. Why would you even ask that...oh, I see, I do not have any influence over there.” Kyle snapped at her.

****  

There was a buzz around the office. Xavier finally agreed to be the cover model of the company's latest catalog at Charity’s insistence on reinvigorating the brand. The excitement in the air was palpable as Xavier pulled up to the office. He decided to give them a treat driving his vintage drop-top sports car. Everyone stopped to stare as he strutted into the office looking like the very models the company aimed to employ. Xavier opted for a full look from their upcoming men’s collection; he was dressed in black tight jeans, a black silk long sleeve shirt with a gold and white corset vest from their new men’s line while holding his blazer over his shoulder. His hair was pulled back into his now trademark ponytail. His face lit up in a dazzling smile as he approached his new executive assistant.

“David, do you have the agenda for today ready for me?” Xavier asked as he leaned against the desk.

“Ye...Yes...Of course sir, you will meet with the photographer in studio B; after your photo session, the new model candidates will be brought in wearing samples from the upcoming line. According to Charity, this will give us the ability to make decisions on both models and clothing simultaneously.” David let out an audible gulp as he tried to maintain contact with his boss's face.

“Please contact Charity and let her know that I am heading in her direction now. Thank you, David,” Xavier winked at him.

Charity squealed in delight as Xavier walked through the door; he walked in and went straight to business. While he tried to remain behind the camera, he knew very well that his looks needed to represent the brand. Deciding to have a little fun, Xavier’s poses started to become more sensual; he released his hair as it fell perfectly across his face. His face now partially hidden from the camera focused on the intensity within his uncovered eye with a glimpse of a smile on his lips, his choice of clothing showed off his features flawlessly as he unbuttoned the top of his shirt, and his pants revealing a hint of underwear beneath.

“Sir, we must have you in more branding material, you were stunning, you were made to be in front of a camera,” the photographer raved as he pulled up various photos. Of course, the photos where Xavier upped the sexy had universal agreement as being the best of the lot. Xavier smiled to himself as he worked hard to maintain his body and image, and it was within his right to appreciate and accept praise occasionally.

“Alright everyone, showtime is over, time to get the real work,” Charity shouted as she clapped her hands drawing the room’s attention. “We must remain on schedule – bring in the models and samples,” she ordered as Xavier took his seat at the head of the table. The tables room were arranged in a U-shape with the runway stopping directly in front of Xavier, a new suggestion from Charity.

Xavier remained pensive and unimpressed with the model selection; the clothes wear stunning but not one model quite had the flair that they desired. Of the more than twenty candidates so far, only six had managed to get a seal of approval. Xavier rested his chin on his hands in deep thought as they took a break for lunch.

“Boss, I see that you are not entirely thrilled with the faces at this moment,” Charity pointed out as she sat beside him. “These were supposedly the best from the outgoing talent division. Now, I have at least ten arriving that I have selected personally.”

The difference was like night and day; these candidates had the wow factor and flair Xavier felt had been missing. With each passing model, both male and female, his inspiration only grew as his mind spun on how to increase profits and recognition.

“Unbelievable,” Xavier expressed aloud, out of character, as the final model walked down the runway. As they locked eyes, he could see the surprise etched on her face. It was widely known who owned and ran the company, but it was clear that she was not expecting to see him face to face while she was trying to land a contract with his company. Cheryl recovered quickly and completed the rest of her walk. “Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for your time today; please wait in the adjourning lounge as we move to wrap up today’s showing.” Xavier dismissed the group of models as he prepared for deliberation amongst his board.

Copyright © 2017 Xfighter1984; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 10
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Xavier and Kyle have grown up, but controversy seems to follow Kyle. It will be interesting to see if they will ever reunite.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I usually don't like it when a story jumps so far into the future, but I am intrigued.  I would not have expected Cheryl's character to make an appearance in the "future", and can't believe Jessica and Kyle are still talking (that seemed like a friendship destined to end after high school), so my curiosity is getting the best of me.  Now, where is Jasper?

Link to comment

Woah. I don't know what I expected but I can get behind a jump like this. I see not much as changed. Definitely curious to see how it all unfolds now that they're adults and have some time to process their behaviors as children. I hope to see that they've matured.

  • Like 2
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Link to comment

Xavier, nice to see going away was good for you, and as shown...former friends are still gigantic POS's...run Xavier...run!

Leave the past exactly where it is...in the freaking past!!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..