[Altimexis] Home is Where the Heart Is by Altimexis

• Site Administrator

Home is Where the Heart Is by Altimexis

Brad and David Reynolds have perfect lives, but then their parents decide to move to a McMansion in Carmel, which means changing schools, losing friends, and a tough separation for David and Jeremy.

:nuke: :nuke: Spoilers Below!!! :nuke: :nuke:

Edited by Graeme
  • Site Administrator

I wasn't aware of the sneak peek until you mentioned it. I've just gone and checked it out and the discussion that was there.

I will admit that when I read this story for the anthology, I thought the political discussion was very stilted. To be fair to the parents, they appear to be lukewarm Republicans because I would have thought that a senior bank executive should have been able to articulate the Republican position a lot better than the father did. To me, that says that they showed some interest in that particular Presidential election, but generally don't pay much attention to politics.

As for the rest of the story, I quite enjoyed it. The parents are, unfortunately, all too typical in that they view success by material possessions, or by living in a 'good' area. David's arguments against the move -- especially the part about neighbour kids to play with -- is a strong one, but the parents seem to be blinkered. They think they are doing the right thing, but they aren't listening to their kids.

I absolutely loved the situation David found himself at the end of the story. I wonder what the kids at Carmel High are going to do when they find that their new Junior Class President doesn't even go to their school.... :lol: In some ways it's a reflection of the situation of the parents -- the kids at Carmel went with what they thought they could get, rather than seeing if it was really possible.

Thanks, Altimexis! :2thumbs: A lovely piece of irony to finish off the piece.

I wasn't aware of the sneak peek until you mentioned it. I've just gone and checked it out and the discussion that was there.

I will admit that when I read this story for the anthology, I thought the political discussion was very stilted. To be fair to the parents, they appear to be lukewarm Republicans because I would have thought that a senior bank executive should have been able to articulate the Republican position a lot better than the father did. To me, that says that they showed some interest in that particular Presidential election, but generally don't pay much attention to politics.

As for the rest of the story, I quite enjoyed it. The parents are, unfortunately, all too typical in that they view success by material possessions, or by living in a 'good' area. David's arguments against the move -- especially the part about neighbour kids to play with -- is a strong one, but the parents seem to be blinkered. They think they are doing the right thing, but they aren't listening to their kids.

I absolutely loved the situation David found himself at the end of the story. I wonder what the kids at Carmel High are going to do when they find that their new Junior Class President doesn't even go to their school.... :lol: In some ways it's a reflection of the situation of the parents -- the kids at Carmel went with what they thought they could get, rather than seeing if it was really possible.

Thanks, Altimexis! :2thumbs: A lovely piece of irony to finish off the piece.

I am quite glad that the author followed his gutt feel for the story and retained the politics that was necessary for the story.

:great:

I liked this story as well. I found it really interesting that the story came from the perspective of a straight boy rather than a gay boy. It's not something I'm used to seeing. Unless the boy is actually bi (I'm sorry, I'm horrible with names, I read this a couple nights ago and had to think about it a bit) I think his name was Brad. So, now i'm just wondering, when do we get the rest of the story that happened before all this? I'm sure there's some more oopsies somewhere, heheh.

Jon

• Site Administrator
I liked this story as well. I found it really interesting that the story came from the perspective of a straight boy rather than a gay boy. It's not something I'm used to seeing. Unless the boy is actually bi (I'm sorry, I'm horrible with names, I read this a couple nights ago and had to think about it a bit) I think his name was Brad. So, now i'm just wondering, when do we get the rest of the story that happened before all this? I'm sure there's some more oopsies somewhere, heheh.

Jon

While this is a standalone story, it's set in a common universe with a lot of other stories by Altimexis. You can find these Naptown stories on the short story page of his site here at GA.

Jon

Jon,

Naptown Tales has a very extensive history dating back a couple of years, when I first wrote Broad Ripple Blues for the 2007 Summer Anthology as a standalone short story. I was so enamored of the characters that I soon wrote a sequel, which begat another sequel and so on. The second anniversary of Naptown Tales will be celebrated this summer with the 2009 Summer Anthology entry, my 20th story in the series if you can believe it.

BTW, I am currently running a 5-part serial novella in the Naptown universe called Spring Break. It takes place immediately after Home is Where the Heart Is and tells the story of eight teenagers, four gay and four straight, alone in Washington, DC for what their parents plan to be an educational holiday break. Speaking of oopsies, what could possibly go wrong?

The Naptown Tales series will wind down at the end of summer, 2010, after which I hope to write a novel based on the characters in their adult years, but nothing is written in stone.

Now since Graeme didn't put in a plug for his own story, I'm going to do it for him. The best story looking at gay youth from the viewpoint of a straight boy was written by our very own Graeme. It's called New Brother and it's an absolute must read. Indeed, if you haven't already seen it, go to Little Buddha's Favorite's Page. I don't necessarily agree with all of his picks, and some of the links are broken, but most of the stories on that page are true classics.

One final comment - I'm really enjoying Sunny's Angel.

While this is a standalone story, it's set in a common universe with a lot of other stories by Altimexis

I was thinking more along the line of Brad's older brother's tale. I keep thinking to myself, that with such republican parents, and him being openly gay, there had to have been something somewhere that had happened. It makes me wonder, did he have a hard time at first coming out to his parents, was he comfortable with the idea of being gay. The story was definitely great as a stand alone, but it's like...there's a story within the story that makes a person curious.

Hope that makes sense, heheh.

One final comment - I'm really enjoying Sunny's Angel.

Thank you, I appreciate that you're enjoying the story. I'd say more but this topic is all about you.

:worship::worship::worship::DB):wub:

I was thinking more along the line of Brad's older brother's tale. I keep thinking to myself, that with such republican parents, and him being openly gay, there had to have been something somewhere that had happened. It makes me wonder, did he have a hard time at first coming out to his parents, was he comfortable with the idea of being gay. The story was definitely great as a stand alone, but it's like...there's a story within the story that makes a person curious.

Brad's older brother's tale is Broad Ripple Blues. Ironically, David became depressed and withdrawn throughout middle school, and when he did come out, his parents took it in stride. Perhaps they already suspected.

For a better story about a boy forced to come out to his conservative, Christian Evangelist parents, read Educating My Parents. It's Tevor's story, and it has a major 'oops' ending. Trevor's one of the core four gay boys in Naptown Tales.