Renaming Cliffhanger Award

• Site Administrator

Hey all,

So I have read the new rules regarding the Reader's Choice Awards for this year and in case you haven't seen the two big ones, they are:

Premium Content stories will not be eligible for the GA Readers Choice Awards and that the King/Queen of Cliffhangers award will only be awarded to one author twice.

It is the second part that I wanted to discuss. I agree with the WST that made a decision totally independent of the Goat to change or shall we say add to the rules for this award. It was designed to be for fun and to have one author continually win it may have deprived other deserving authors of being a King or Queen for a year or two.

I see that Tiger has started an aggressive lobby for Mark Arbour to be the next King. CJ has been lobbying for Graeme to be King. I have heard rumours that our beloved Krista may be our first Queen here at GA tongue.gif . All are deserving and who knows who will win?

I noticed the other day that the Golden Globe awards nominations were announced and that got me to thinking (scary in itself biggrin.gif ). Usually awards have some kind of name attached to certain ones like the lifetime achievement award and such. Since the King or Queen of Cliffhangers is a special award, why don't we have a named award too. In this spirit, I want to lobby the WST to rename the award to:

CJames Memorial King/Queen of Cliffhangers Award

Yes, I realize CJ isn't dead, but what better way to pay homage to the goat who created the need to have the award in the first place. If I was an author, I would be honoured to receive an award named after one of the best cliffhanger writers of them all.

Please post here if your in agreement to have the name changed as suggested above, or maybe another suggestion. Maybe if enough of us lobby here we can influence the powers to be to change the name.

Let's see what we can do specool.gif .

Edited by wildone

Hey all,

So I have read the new rules regarding the Reader's Choice Awards for this year and in case you haven't seen the two big ones, they are:

Premium Content stories will not be eligible for the GA Readers Choice Awards and that the King/Queen of Cliffhangers award will only be awarded to one author twice.

It is the second part that I wanted to discuss. I agree with the WST that made a decision totally independent of the Goat to change or shall we say add to the rules for this award. It was designed to be for fun and to have one author continually win it may have deprived other deserving authors of being a King or Queen for a year or two.

I see that Tiger has started an aggressive lobby for Mark Arbour to be the next King. CJ has been lobbying for Graeme to be King. I have heard rumours that our beloved Krista may be our first Queen here at GA :P . All are deserving and who knows who will win?

I noticed the other day that the Golden Globe awards nominations were announced and that got me to thinking (scary in itself biggrin.gif ). Usually awards have some kind of name attached to certain ones like the lifetime achievement award and such. Since the King or Queen of Cliffhangers is a special award, why don't we have a named award too. In this spirit, I want to lobby the WST to rename the award to:

CJames Memorial King/Queen of Cliffhangers Award

Yes, I realize CJ isn't dead, but what better way to pay homage to the goat who created the need to have the award in the first place. If I was an author, I would be honoured to receive an award named after one of the best cliffhanger writers of them all.

Please post here if your in agreement to have the name changed as suggested above, or maybe another suggestion. Maybe if enough of us lobby here we can influence the powers to be to change the name.

Let's see what we can do specool.gif .

B)...............Hahaha!! Anything to give the rightful cliffhanger king his due!!! :P

I agree with having a nickname for the award, but I think "CJames Memorial King/Queen of Cliffhangers Award" may be too long. Something similar to Oscar, Tony, or Emmy would seem more personal and endearing.

I suggest the award be called the "Cliffie". This comes not from the word "cliffhanger", but rather from C James real first name, Cliff (or is it Clifford?).

• Like 2

This is all a waste of time. CJ has repeatedly told us that he doesn't use cliffhangers. For me, that puts an end to it. :D

The Goat has had to endure such infamy for far too long now. Let's give it a rest. :2hands:

I fully support Mark Arbour's nomination as King of Cliffhangers!. :2thumbs:

• Site Administrator

I agree with having a nickname for the award, but I think "CJames Memorial King/Queen of Cliffhangers Award" may be too long. Something similar to Oscar, Tony, or Emmy would seem more personal and endearing.

I suggest the award be called the "Cliffie". This comes not from the word "cliffhanger", but rather from C James real first name, Cliff (or is it Clifford?).

I like that idea; The Cliffie

Kind of has a nice ring to it.

CJ should get the lifelong title though...

CJ, the Queen Mother of Cliffhangers.

Well he is the first one elected and since all others will be after him, I guess that makes him a mother to all others so yeah, the Queen Mother of Cliffhangers would do. tongue.gif

The only problem is, could the goat dress as smart and be the fashion diva for hats that the original queen mom was? lmaosmiley.gif

This is all a waste of time. CJ has repeatedly told us that he doesn't use cliffhangers. For me, that puts an end to it. biggrin.gif

The Goat has had to endure such infamy for far too long now. Let's give it a rest. 2handed.gif

I fully support Mark Arbour's nomination as King of Cliffhangers!. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Give it a rest?? As long as CJ writes, he shall be subject to the huge amount of teasing that he rightfully deserves thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Let's not forget that CJ will always be known as the first King.

So your vote is for the Queen Mother than Jan innocent.gif ?

I think it should be called mine. lmaosmiley.gif

Yes, after reading Twilight, you are definitely in the running for the award, whatever we call it tongue.gif . I take it that if all else fails, you might be trying to take it by force 2handed.gif ? Cool, this could get ugly, lol.

Shouldn't we be having decade awards, guys? The first decade is about to end, so we should have special awards for it, and CJ should have should be Cliffhanger King of the Decade! Yes! This is what we must do. He is certainly eligible for such an award, and we must have these awards! But for the year, let's give it to Mark Arbour. He deserves the award, and I'm sure he will graciously accept it!

Shouldn't we be having decade awards, guys? The first decade is about to end, so we should have special awards for it, and CJ should have should be Cliffhanger King of the Decade! Yes! This is what we must do. He is certainly eligible for such an award, and we must have these awards! But for the year, let's give it to Mark Arbour. He deserves the award, and I'm sure he will graciously accept it!

I think the decade ends next year, not this one. Just count your fingers with me: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine - and the last one? Ten!

How about?:

The Cliff James

Master of Suspense

Award

It wouldn't become a "Memorial" award until his passing.

This is all a waste of time. CJ has repeatedly told us that he doesn't use cliffhangers. For me, that puts an end to it. biggrin.gif

The Goat has had to endure such infamy for far too long now. Let's give it a rest. 2handed.gif

I fully support Mark Arbour's nomination as King of Cliffhangers!. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The bad part is that you believed him...

The decade began in 2000. Thus, it ends with 2009. Think more like 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. 2000 was not part of the 1990's. wink.gif

The first year, however, was 1, not 0, so, 1-10, or in the case of your example of 2000, 2000 was, in fact, part of the 1990's which started wtih 1991, and ended with 2000. The current decade began 1/1/2001.

Edited by kjames

What about a lifetime achievement award? Though I'm pretty sure CJames can outdo himself in his coming stories (I'll tell you, the current one, Circumnavigation, with its unlikely complex and sophisticated title, has quite a few ones that will leave you breathless), but it doesn't hurt to recognize his genius without waiting for his death, which is not done often enough...

ACK! Ummm. this cannot be! We all know I never use cliffhangers!!

And, um, memorial? Erk,.. :ph34r:

Let's not forget that CJ will always be known as the first King.

Ah, not so! Shadowgod was the first to hold the title of King of Cliffhangers. It is for that reason that the holder of the title is often referred to as occupying Shadowgod's cliffhanging throne.

Shadowgod's preeminence at cliffhangers was recognized by a select GA committee, who made the title officially Shadowgod's, via a unanimous vote. Thereafter, for reasons beyond my control, the award became part of the reader's choice awards and also yearly.

So, Shadowgod holds title to being the first King of Cliffhangers. Hrmm, therefor, shouldn't the award be named after him?

0:)

CJ is right. So that means we're back to making him Queen-Mother.

So help me, all you UK folks out there, but if Shadowgod is the King, and CJ is the Queen-Mother, doesn't that make CJ his mother-in-law? blink.gif

Only if CJ can turn out really well in drag... blink.gif