Gone Too DAMN Far

I capitalized damn for a reason. I just saw the most incredibly stupid thing I have in a long, long time on TV. You know that my chemical romance song, teenagers? (All decapitalized for my shitty r key not working and sake of parallelism)

They bleeped the words gun, shirt, pay, murder, shit, and umm... well that might be all. But COME ON!??!?! What the HELL is wrong with these people? This whole censorship thing is going way, way overboard. That's just stupid. I raise a middle finger toward anyone whose sensibilities are so fragile. When you scramble under the bed at the sound of a little violence or a curseword in a song, you need to shut the hell up and let the normal people have fun.

You're learning what it takes to be a writer, Razor. 'Don't let the bastards get you down', as the saying goes. Yeah, don't just get mad, get typing! And if I may quote another axiom, 'The Pen is Mightier than the Sword'. Tell me something, who remembers the speeches of the politicians and do-gooders of Shakespeare's era? :pickaxe:

Tell me something, who remembers the speeches of the politicians and do-gooders of Shakespeare's era? :pickaxe:

"Forsooth, naff off, for thou art a moron, Shakespeare."

"Oh, Marlowe, wilt thou never learn?"

sometime later, after many ales of disreputable nature

"But mother, he hast mine coin!"

"That'll teach thou, Marlowe! Use nary nom de plume again."

I capitalized damn for a reason. I just saw the most incredibly stupid thing I have in a long, long time on TV. You know that my chemical romance song, teenagers? (All decapitalized for my shitty r key not working and sake of parallelism)

They bleeped the words gun, shirt, pay, murder, shit, and umm... well that might be all. But COME ON!??!?! What the HELL is wrong with these people? This whole censorship thing is going way, way overboard. That's just stupid. I raise a middle finger toward anyone whose sensibilities are so fragile. When you scramble under the bed at the sound of a little violence or a curseword in a song, you need to shut the hell up and let the normal people have fun.

"In a kids voice"

It's to protect the children, protect them my ass

If they see sex it's the worst possiable thing in the world,ooh but it's fine to see a guys head blown off, This censorship is beyond logic. and please these parents, need to learn their kids been cursing at least since middle school and probably having sex.

Honestly, some things do need to be censored. Some children think differently than others and take things more seriously. How do you think people act and say what they do? Something has shown them that it's ok to do so. I do think people have over stepped the censorship line though. Some of Pink's songs about the president couldn't even be aired on the radio as it was offensive.

Anyway, when media isn't held down by rules and boundaries aren't set then things can get too "raunchy" for people that shouldn't be viewing the content, but I think censorship should start with the Parents and not with the media as everyone has their own ideas about what should and shouldn't be allowed to be viewed by the public at large.

Krista

With Certain radio shows they got fired cause of some stupid White people, they are most always some white person who gets way to offended, if you don't like that humor or topic then change the channel. Look there is nudity stuff on European tv, they don't got wacko each time there is a topic or some breast is showing.

Example, during this super bowl few people write into the fcc, one person said, My son wants to be a football star, now since he's scene this commercial he's going ot turn out gay, going to have him checked for aids.

Another person, I want this taken care of, my children scene it, this is against our religion and what they believe what is wrong, I want something done about this.

Edited by Drewbie

Whenever you hear a politician say that he is protecting children or whatever he is doing is for the children you can be sure that he is going to be in your pocket and you have lost some civil liberty. Stop buying their grandstanding and FUD because some costs go beyond money.

Krista's got a good point. I agree that there are some things that are just a little bit... much to be on TV in the middle of the day. But, I also believe that no matter what's on, it's the parents' responsibility to control what their kids see. Blaming others has become a national hobby, and parents need to grow some gonads and learn to take a belt to their kid when they don't act right, and tell them they're proud of them when they do act right. Take responsibility for your own kid and quit shifting it to TV, music, and video games. Good kids don't raise themselves.

Right, There needs to be some, but if you have a pay service they shouldn't be like on hbo or showtime etc, that's why you can block channels, and do teach them you shouldn't do that etc.

Having learned the hard way lately of censorship and double standards, I since have joined:

1/ The League for the Purity of Languagev (LPL)

2/ The Soap Mouth Washers Association (SMWWA)

3/ Bleepers United of Strong Language Which makes the Bad Words Even More Prominent in Somewhat Innocuous Speech. (BUSLWMBWEMPSIL)

And I'd be glad to join Parents Who Take a Belt on Kids With Poor Manners and Who Won't Raise Themselves, Damn It!, if you can give me the address.

I've always been of the opinion that's its not the government's censor (beyond reason of course...)

That job lies with the parents. I was in a debate once about sex and television, and one woman was there, and she was all, "Well, I wouldn't want my children to see that, blah blah blah."

To which my friend replied, "Well that's why your the parent. Show some initiative and makes some rules." Then everyone else started clapping.

Really, I hate it when some people start making it everyone else's responsibility to raise their kids.

It's interesting about what words are bleeped on TV and radio by some stations and not by others. James Blunt's song You're Beautiful has a line in the uncensored version that includes the words "f*****g high". There's a "cleaned up" version that substitutes the words "flying high". My CD has the uncensored version of the song. My local pop radio station KKDV plays that version. And, they've been doing so since the CD came out in 2005. Amazing.

Colin :boy:

Hmm... I was watching "Sweet Home Alabama" on television the other day. The only words that were censored, "Sh*t" and "Dick"... all the other four and five letter words in that movie were kept the same.. lol

Krista

One readio station here bleeps out the word 'heroine' in Papa Roach's song Forever, and the other one (which I mainly listen to) does not. I think a lot of this censoring stuff is crazy.

Okay... I think that it is NEVER EVER right to a harm a child in ANY way. No matter how a chil disbehaves. I was rather shocked to see that some of you guys think beating a child with a belt his humane and right.

Kurt

Edited by Kurt
  • Site Administrator
Okay... I think that it is NEVER EVER right to a harm a child in ANY way. No matter how a chil disbehaves. I was rather shocked to see that some of you guys thing beating a child with a belt his humane and right.

Discipline, and the rights and wrongs of child discipline is a major topic in its own right. It is, however, a topic that can get quite emotional as the different sides exaggerate what the other side is saying.

Okay... I think that it is NEVER EVER right to a harm a child in ANY way. No matter how a chil disbehaves. I was rather shocked to see that some of you guys think beating a child with a belt his humane and right.

I don't think anybody defended beating up children, and it was more of a joke. Same with washing mouth with soap. At least speaking for me. Not sure about "never ever" though, for I don't know many parents who have children who are sociable and have never used any coercion methods, though corporal punishment seems to be a bad way.

I think Graeme is right to say it can lead to heated discussions.

The FCC decides what we get to hear on the public airwaves, but no one at the FCC is elected. That's a major issue, IMO, and I think they'd be a lot less uptight if they had to do what the people actually wanted them to do.

I'd make it to more uptight and they would hold their legitimacy from the voters.

And for something completely different, Law & Order SVU is broadcast on the biggest channel on Sundays at 4:00PM. They do put a little -10 or -12 warning for parents though.

One readio station here bleeps out the word 'heroine' in Papa Roach's song Forever, and the other one (which I mainly listen to) does not. I think a lot of this censoring stuff is crazy.

Kurt

Which do you believe to be more effective in forcing a child to listen and obey their parents... a time out or a brain duster?

Honestly, if I ever have children who misbehave, you can be sure that will be sent into the yard to cut their own switch. I'm appalled at the number of parents who let their children get away with murder at my store. The ones that hold on to mommy and have her drag them through the store on their heelies, the ones who whine and cry until they get the toy they want, the ones who test their parents' patience by being disobedient, and the ones who test my patience by rolling around on the satanic heelies and by playing with the buttons on the pin pads at every counter. When one of them dares to stare at me, I scowl at them.

As for censoring, you can't beat it. Sirius satellite radio touts their music programming that has no censoring and no commercials... which isn't completely true. Most of their channels are censorless and all have commercials. SR-1 (Sirius Hit's 1) censors "god" in Fall Out Boy's, "This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race." Meanwhile every channel has a plug for Sirius in some way. I know, that's not as bad as ten minutes of car ads and dentist ads on terrestrial radio, but it gets annoying to hear the jocks talk about the Sirius S50, or the discounts you can get for adding a new radio to your 'scrip for Father's Day, or for the holidays.

The day that censorship is obliterated is the day that Blink 182's song that goes "Shit piss f**K c**t cocksucker motherf**ker tits fart turd n' twat, I f**ked your mom!" is played, unadulterated, on terrestrial radio during evening rush hour.

Edited by rknapp
You know what I found hilarious.

Hannibal.

At 1 PM.

On a sunday.

ON THE FAMILY CHANNEL.

That is all.

You are absolutely right. Our "standards" defy logic at times. It is perfectly acceptable to let people see someone eat someone for the pleasure of it but someone eating someone in a slightly different context causes all sorts of problems. It is a mad world.

Hey,

I collect a list of quotes which I always seem to be reminded of, when deep issues are at hand. Here are a few, in an order that at least seems relevent and sensible to me:

[about protecting children:]

"We worry about what a child will be tomorrow, yet we forget that he or she is someone today." - Stacia Tausher

"What

Kurt

Beat the holy HELL out of a child if they can't act right. Pick up a switch and go to town on some bare legs. Half the problem is parents who won't punish their kids when they know they've done something wrong. When a kid knows he can do something insane and get a time out or be grounded for a week, it's pretty easy for them to walk all over their parents.

And if I ever have a kid and I feel that the situation calls for it, YES, I will spank them. And if they do something really bad I'll take 'em to see my mama and give her a switch and a flip flop in the other hand and see if they ever do it again.

Child abuse is when you leave scars and break bones. Child discipline is when you leave a nice welt and a serious hesitancy to do what they did again. I think people should consider what is actually harm and what is building character. Harm is when you hit your child without telling them what they did wrong if they even did anything wrong, yelling at them, calling them names, and causing emotional damage; it's not when you give them a spanking because they threw a brick through a window or smacked around another kid.

If you're a good parent you shouldn't have an occasion to hit your kids often. My mother's told me more than once that she's only spanked me twice in my life and once I didn't deserve it. I STILL remember getting cornered in a kitchen with a switch and dancing around trying to get away. I did deserve that one, and I figured out why I deserved it, and I didn't do that shit no more.

I disagree jamie. :D

I dont think using an implement to discipline a child is right. Sure I'd love to take some implements to some of the little <explitive>s that I went to school with. but I'm not their parent (their parents let them run wild unfortunately)

An open handed smack to their ass is more appropriate (waits for calls of molestation from the PC crew). Why the ass? it is the flabbyest part, theres little bone (and being hit somewhere bony is much more painful) and there is little that can be majorly damaged, but it still hurts.

Why no implements? because then the implements are doing the punisment, and I dont like that. just personal feelings, but leaving whelts across the back of someones thighs just isn't the cure. And really It shouldn't take more than one hit. IMHO.

Training the kid to be respectful (not the point of treating them like an army recruit, that is abusing your parental power), kind and appreciative needs to be done when they're young, you want them to know that you're still on their side but if they slip up they need to know that what they did was wrong.

This world would be much better if adults disciplined their kids properly when needed. Grounding doesn't work if they retain their TV, computer-games, phone, sweets (candy), dessert and other such privilages. Explusion from school doesn't work if the kids parents dont give a crap, it is just a free holiday for someone who pretty much wasn't going to do the work anyway.

You cant fix a kid once they know they can get away with murder. Make sure the lines are clear early on.