Religious Non-believers

And interesting article, if not very surprising, but what annoys me is how the author kept equating atheists with anti-religious people. I'm an atheist, and I don't have anything against religion in general. I don't like fanatics any more than the next person, and I resent the sway that some religious groups hold, but that doesn't make me 'anti-religious.'

Menzo

And interesting article, if not very surprising, but what annoys me is how the author kept equating atheists with anti-religious people. I'm an atheist, and I don't have anything against religion in general. I don't like fanatics any more than the next person, and I resent the sway that some religious groups hold, but that doesn't make me 'anti-religious.'

Menzo

I agree, not having a religion doesn't mean that's automatically anti-religion. I just don't like seeing Religion being a large part of politics.

Krista

I think groups like this are good for every society because they work to keep religion and government seperate. It's just too bad that more Christians, like me :) , don't want the church to stay out of the government. It's totally disgusting to try and legislate morality and religious beliefs because when that happens, we take a huge step away from being the great Republic that we are and towards being a Theocracy.

• Site Administrator

An interesting article. Similar things are happening here in Australia, too, and there has been the suggestion here in Australia that Atheism is actually another religion. If you look at it the right way, they are correct. Atheism is based on the unproven and unprovable belief that there is no God/Higher Being(s), while other religions are based on the unproven and unprovable belief that this is a God/Higher Being.

If my impression of Australians is correct, then I would say the majority are actually Agnostic -- not sure if there is a God of not. Indeed, at one point I used to call myself a Christian Agnostic (which is technically a contradiction in terms), in that while I wasn't sure if there was a God, I believe in Christian morals and ethics.

I now consider myself to be a Christian, but I have no problems with atheists or Muslims, Hindus or Buddhists, or any other religious belief. A person's beliefs are personal. I believe that what a person does is more important than what they believe. If they are good people, who believe in caring and helping those less fortunate, then, if there is an afterlife that judges who goes to Heaven and who goes to Hell, I believe they will go to Heaven. Actions speak louder than words and I can't believe in a God that condemns someone to Hell simply because they never had the opportunity to learn about the 'right' religion. Those atheists who end up in Heaven may be mightily embarrassed, but I'm sure they'll get over that :P

Actions speak louder than words and I can't believe in a God that condemns someone to Hell simply because they never had the opportunity to learn about the 'right' religion.

That is my problem with organized religion. It's just that, most are so self-righteous saying that if you're not a member of their religion, you're going to hell. If God really exists, then I would think that it didn't matter what denomination a person has faith in, just that they have faith. Of course, I don't believe in God at all so what do I know?

The way I look at it we have a lot more time dead than we get alive, so all that afterlife stuff can wait. There's time for it later. In other words, I'll think about that stuff when I get around to it, until then I'll just get on with my life, keep out of trouble and it'll probably turn out fine.

If people want to have organised religion, that's their choice and they're welcome to it as long as they don't try and interfere with everyone else because really how other people live their life is none of their business.

In other words, I'm not exactly aethist...I just don't follow any particular religion either because from what I can tell most religions, when you get right down to the basic stuff, have a fair poitn. They just wrap it up in a load of rubbish that I really don't have any time for.

Edited by clumber
The way I look at it we have a lot more time dead than we get alive, so all that afterlife stuff can wait. There's time for it later. In other words, I'll think about that stuff when I get around to it, until then I'll just get on with my life, keep out of trouble and it'll probably turn out fine.

You have a life expectancy at birth of 78 years (its just my age ! :lol: !). So you are right not to worry :rolleyes: .

But don't forget, as it is said : "Nobody knows the day and the hour". So take care by crossing a road or driving your car :lol: .

Edited by old bob

In other words, I'm not exactly aethist...I just don't follow any particular religion either because from what I can tell most religions, when you get right down to the basic stuff, have a fair poitn. They just wrap it up in a load of rubbish that I really don't have any time for.

B) ........I have always felt that most organized religions are the root of all evil, when one starts to kill in the name of G-d (Crusades) the Spanish conquisadors ramming their religion down the throats of Incas & Aztecs. Puritan Americans were no less blame on what happened to the Native Americans. But the Christians are not alone, extremist Muslims are now center stage in this "war" of G_d. I am neither an atheist or agnostic, I hold many Jewish beliefs, but basically live with the ten commandments.