Science Fiction: how do you like it?

JamesSavik

What sort of Science Fiction do you like?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Popular Movies:

• Star Wars series [fantasy]
    • Alien/Aliens series [horror]
    • Star Trek TOS movies [technology]
    • Star Trek NextGen movies
    • Dune/Children of Dune
    • Terminator series
    • X-men series
    • Independence Day
    • Old Black & White 50s movies
    • I, Robot
    • I would rather poke my eyes out with a fork than watch sci-fi
  2. 2. Television Series:

• Star Trek- the Original Series
    • Star Trek- Next Generation
    • Star Trek- Voyager, DS9
    • Star Trek Enterprise
    • Babylon 5
    • Doctor Who
    • Battlestar Galactica (old/new)
    • Outer Limits (old/new)
    • Stargate/Stargate Atlantis
    • None of the above
  3. 3. Sci-fi philosophy: underlying a great deal of sci-fi, there are some ideas consistent themes. Which do you agree with?

• Despite technology, man remains the same flawed creation.
    • When need is eliminated, man is a better creature.
    • Mankind is smart, strong and resourceful enough to face the challenges of the future.
    • The future is filled with terrors that may destroy us all.
  4. 4. Sci-fi often comes blended with elements of other genres. Which do you prefer?

• Fantasy
    • Horror
    • Action
    • Drama
    • Mystery
    • Adventure
    • Survival
    • Thriller
  5. 5. Books: Ever read Sci-fi novels?

• yes
    • no

I much prefer fantasy to sci-fi, but there is a specific genre of sci-fi that I really do enjoy. Futuristic movies - either Utopian or dystopian - that give insight into the human condition are the only ones I really enjoy. Minority Report is an excellent example, and the more recent Children of Men is another. I think sci-fi, in certain forms, allows for a greater examination of the human psyche than fantasy does. The Giver and the classic 1984 are also examples of sci-fi that I like.

Menzo

I much prefer fantasy to sci-fi, but there is a specific genre of sci-fi that I really do enjoy. Futuristic movies - either Utopian or dystopian - that give insight into the human condition are the only ones I really enjoy. Minority Report is an excellent example, and the more recent Children of Men is another. I think sci-fi, in certain forms, allows for a greater examination of the human psyche than fantasy does. The Giver and the classic 1984 are also examples of sci-fi that I like.

Menzo

B) .....never had I considered myself to be a sci-fi fan, then I realized I must have seen Dune a dozen times!

• Site Administrator

I read a lot more science fiction stories than I watch movies of TV. Indeed, there are very, very few SF movies or TV shows that I think are well done. To be honest, I can't think of a single movie or TV show that I think is as good as the better novels that I've read. The movies/shows that I like are those that concentrate on something other than the SF aspects (which is what James alludes to in fourth poll above). I've only seen a few episodes of Babylon 5, for example, but I was impressed by the complexity of the society, and the way the races interacted. It was, to me, a complex drama, and that's what I liked about it. The characters weren't shallow.

Every good SF story I've read is a story of another genre that is set in a SF environment. Eg. Action, Drama, Mystery, etc. I remember Isaac Asimov writing about his SF mystery stories (eg. Caves of Steel and others in that series) and he said they had to be mysteries first, and SF second. The reader had to have all the information required to solve the story, just like in a traditional mystery, and the author couldn't solve it with "But as we all know, that hasn't existed since 2078."

In many ways, that parallels the "gay" genre. All the good gay stories are also stories of another genre -- romance, action, thriller, mystery, horror -- that just happen to be set in a "gay" environment.

My main Sci-Fi tastes are towards "hard" sci-fi, or sci-fi that attempts to be realistic (such as obeying the laws of physics).

I watch very little on TV or in the movies; I found Star-trek, after the original series, to have way too much moralizing drivel for my tastes, not to mention the realism issue (is it really wise to build exposives into the bridge control panels? They sure seem to keep exploding). I did however like the 2010 (the sequel to 2001,) very much indeed.

I love to laugh, so my favorite science fiction stories are those that include comedy. Like Terry Pratchett's Going Postal and Witches Abroad, Rudy Rucker's Frek and the Elixir, John Morressy's stories about the Wizard Kedrigern, Spider Robinson's Callahan's Crosstime Saloon stories, Kelly Link's Magic for Beginners, John Moore's Heroics for Beginners, George R.R. Martin's Tuf Voyaging, Diane Duane's Support your Local Wizard, John D. MacDonald's The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything, Charlaine Harris's All Together Dead, Parke Godwin's Waiting for the Galactic Bus, and lots, lots more that I didn't bring with me to the dorm.

Colin B)

I love to laugh, so my favorite science fiction stories are those that include comedy. Like Terry Pratchett's Going Postal and Witches Abroad, Rudy Rucker's Frek and the Elixir, John Morressy's stories about the Wizard Kedrigern, Spider Robinson's Callahan's Crosstime Saloon stories, Kelly Link's Magic for Beginners, John Moore's Heroics for Beginners, George R.R. Martin's Tuf Voyaging, Diane Duane's Support your Local Wizard, John D. MacDonald's The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything, Charlaine Harris's All Together Dead, Parke Godwin's Waiting for the Galactic Bus, and lots, lots more that I didn't bring with me to the dorm.

Colin B)

Come to think of it, so do I! Spider Robinson's "Calahan's" series is superb! I also loved "Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy", the original TV series (Never saw the recent movie, so no comment there from me). I'll have to look at some of the ones on your list, they sound great!

I've only seen a few episodes of Babylon 5, for example, but I was impressed by the complexity of the society, and the way the races interacted. It was, to me, a complex drama, and that's what I liked about it. The characters weren't shallow.

Graeme-

You should rent or get hold of Babylon 5. It really is a great story. The writer sold it as a 5 season story arc and that's what we got.

The Bab 5 universe isn't nice or politically correct. The races have various levels of technology. There is nothing "magical" like the Force from Star Wars, magic technologies like transporters or replicators from Star Trek, or copious amounts of chese that afflict a great deal of sci-fi.

IMHO, B5 is one of the best sci-fi series ever done.

Sci-Fi Books that I have enjoyed:

Isaac Asimov: Foundation series.

Frank Herbert: Dune... (the first book was my favorite)

Arthur C. Clark: 2001, others

Orson Scott Card: Ender's Game, others

Kurt Vonnegut: Slaughterhouse 5, Long Walk to Forever

Nice poll :worship:

I prefer to read SF books and I have a lot in my bookcase: Isaac Asimov (Foundation series), Frank Herbert (Dune), Robert A. Heinlein ( Starship Troopers), A. E. Van Vogt (The World of Null-A). Ray Douglas Bradbury (The Martian Chronicles),

And not to forget the DK stories (Dawn of tears, Dreams of humanity).

I am a sucker for sci-fics and if that fic involves time travel...Dang! I'm in!! :P

Well, there are not many sci-fic sub-genres that I don't like. I can watch/read any sci-fic. I am not that picky and choosy. If the plot intrigues me enough, I'll go for it, if not, balls to it... :lol:

The BeaStKid

I love Sci-Fi because, like fantasy, it's nice to leave reality for a while. This is one of the reasons why CPL's Falcon Banner series is so appealing to me... not to mention the fact I love almost anything to do with the future and space travel.

BSK I agree, time travel is always entertaining! Particularly into the far future or past.

My all time favourite Sci-Fi show is Blake's 7. It was made in the UK in the late 70s/early 80s and featured a handful of "criminals" attempting to escape from - and eventually attempting to destroy - an evil, corrupt Federation (sorta like the "empire" from the Star Wars movies). It was really good because it was dark and realistic - the good guys didn't always win.

Menzo

I loved Minority Report! Haven't seen Children of Men.

In many ways, that parallels the "gay" genre. All the good gay stories are also stories of another genre -- romance, action, thriller, mystery, horror -- that just happen to be set in a "gay" environment.

A good point well said, Graeme! :)

-Kevin

You should watch it, its a really good film, well made i thought

I guess Children of Man is another sub-genre of sci-fi: post-apocalyptic like Mad Max, the Omega Man or Jericho.

I must confess a fondness for fifties B&W "Monster" movies. Not that I would go out of my way to watch one, they are like a comedy that wasn't intended to be a comedy. By trying to be serious, they are hysterical. Oh my God, it's eating the tank...

Typical plotline is that there is a nuke test and an ant/spider/scorpion becomes huge and eats New Mexico.

Is there anyone who would be surprised by me saying I am a die-hard sci-fi fan?

I grew up on the original Star Trek (in repeats! I'm not that old!). ST: TNG was a little preachy for me at first, but you know, I enjoyed it too. Then came ST:DS9 and I LOVED that show. I loved the Dominion War story arcs the best, especially some very good episodes that were about more than things blowing up. ST: Voyager was...bland to say the least.

But, Star Trek is not the only sci-fi I love. I remember watching Star Wars (the first movie made), in the theater, during the original release. I was a little boy, but 90% of my toys up to teenage hood came from Star Wars (and my 9-year old nephew plays with my original 1977 Luke Skywalker, Tie Fighter Pilot, C-3PO and a few others that I still have). Oh, and don't complain about me letting him play with them. They are TOYS. NOT playing with them is a sin.

Our house has a lot of books, and a great many of them are sci-fi. I've read all the original Dune books by Frank Herbert, and even many of the prequels written by others since then. I can quote parts of those books, and many others to this day (I used to be able to quote every line from the Star Wars movie, but let's not go there). Battlestar Galactica (original and new) hold special places in my heart. Isaac Asimov spun yarns that I enjoy to this day while Robert Heinlein makes me wish to write a gay version of a certain irrascible old man.

Funny thing is, I recently found DVDs ov a series that I LOVED as a kid. It was called the Tomorrow People (original british version from the early 1970's). It's as hokey and campy as I remembered, and as I watch it I think it was the gay kid in me that was most attracted to the show. I almost feel guilty watching it as an adult...but you know, those boys were so cuuuuuuuute.

Poor Trebs, my nephew likes them too and I just bought another box of the show so we can keep watching...

• Site Administrator
Funny thing is, I recently found DVDs ov a series that I LOVED as a kid. It was called the Tomorrow People (original british version from the early 1970's). It's as hokey and campy as I remembered, and as I watch it I think it was the gay kid in me that was most attracted to the show. I almost feel guilty watching it as an adult...but you know, those boys were so cuuuuuuuute.

OMG -- the Tomorrow People!!! I loved that show :D I was very disappointed when they stopped showing it in Australia :)

I love Science Fiction. From Star Wars to Star Trek, I'm a sci-fi geek through and through. I grew up reading comic books, watching sci-fi movies, and reading books. My mom is a die hard Trekkie, and I think I get it from her. She has nearly every Star Trek book ever made.

Some of my favorite sci-fi movies are ones that have other elements to them. Mystery, fantasy, horror, and the like. I love zombie movies, even the cheesy terrible ones. Old fifties monster movies is such a guilty pleasure of mine too, lol. I loved Minority report but haven't seen Children of Men. I liked Stardust too.

I haven't really read a lot of sci-fi books. I read a lot of Star Wars ones, like the New Jedi Order and Legacy of the Force, but other than that I haven't read many. I read I, Robot in school, and I loved 3001, the Final Odyssey. I highly recommend the story Rossum's Universal Robots by Karel Capek, as it was one of the first stories to use the word "robot" in the sense that we do now. It might have even been the first.

I've also read Chris Lydon's the Falcon Banner series, and highly recommend.

So yea, I'm a sci-fi geek, lol.

X-MEN RULES!!! I love this! I never read the BD but I watched the movies, animes and read the fanfics! :D

On the second list, I watched only Stargate. It's interesting and I liked it!

I haven't read much sci-fic. I'm too sucker for fantasy! :P

Ieshwar