[Shadowgod] Is Shadowgod the King of Eeeevil Cliffhangers?

Cliffhangers  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Is Shadowgod the King of Eeeevil Cliffhangers?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Does Shadowgod use an excessive number of cliffhangers in his stories?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Was the ending of chapter 26 of Living in Surreality the nastiest cliffhanger you have ever seen?

• Yes
    • No -- I've seen worse
    • No -- I didn't think it was a cliffhanger
    • Undecided

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"not confirmed"?

So, you're conceding?

I'm not happy if you are -- I think this poll should be up for a big longer before you concede. :P

B) ...Even a quicker concession speech, cheeeeesssshhh!!!!

AAACK! That's no concession, that's a typo! He's NOW confirmed! Shadowgod is winning! Way to go, Shadowgod! :2thumbs:

Me thinks thou doth protest too much, CJ... :P

Who? Me? 0:)

Ok, big news! The "Yes" side is pulling ahead fast, and it's now 10-6 in favor of Shadowgod retaining his title!

I'm expecting a concession speech from the Echidna any time now. :devil:

• Site Administrator
I'm expecting a concession speech from the Echidna any time now. :devil:

But my case has been proven! Though I'm not expecting C James to acknowledge this fact -- he seems to have blinkered vision in some situations.

The original statement from CJ was that everyone knows that Shadowgod is the :king: King of Eeeevil Cliffhangers :king: . This poll has clearly shown that that is not the case -- otherwise there wouldn't be more than 30% of voters who disagree. More than 25% of voters agree with me that he's not the :king: King of Eeeevil Cliffhangers :king: .

Also, CJ keeps using chapter 26 of LiS as proof that Shadowgod is the :king: King of Eeeevil Cliffhangers :king: , but this poll shows that out of 17 voters, only FOUR agree with that view. Clear proof that CJ has been badly misrepresenting the truth with his accusations.

:D

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics -- Benjamin Disraeli, British Prime Minister

But my case has been proven! Though I'm not expecting C James to acknowledge this fact -- he seems to have blinkered vision in some situations.

The original statement from CJ was that everyone knows that Shadowgod is the :king: King of Eeeevil Cliffhangers :king: . This poll has clearly shown that that is not the case -- otherwise there wouldn't be more than 30% of voters who disagree. More than 25% of voters agree with me that he's not the :king: King of Eeeevil Cliffhangers :king: .

Also, CJ keeps using chapter 26 of LiS as proof that Shadowgod is the :king: King of Eeeevil Cliffhangers :king: , but this poll shows that out of 17 voters, only FOUR agree with that view. Clear proof that CJ has been badly misrepresenting the truth with his accusations.

:D

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics -- Benjamin Disraeli, British Prime Minister

Actually, Graeme, I DO see your point! And in fact, I agree with it: Not everyone knows that Shadowgod is the :king: King of Eeeevil Cliffhangers :king: .

Therefor, you are quite right, and it logically follows that we must strive to educate and inform people of Shadowgod's title, true?

You will therefor, I feel safe in assuming, be joining me in this worthy endeavor? :devil:

And I don't see it as misrepresentation; the votes are clear; Shadowgod is hereby, henceforth and forevermore irrevocably confirmed as :king: King of Eeeevil Cliffhangers :king: . I do admit I'm rather puzzled on the LiS 26 results, as I consider that Shadowgod's greatest cliffhanger, but apparently some disagree. I must therefor bow to the will of the majority and accept the fact that many consider (proven by the affirmation of Shadowgod's title :king: King of Eeeevil Cliffhangers :king: ) that some of Shadowgod's many other wicked, eeeviiil, masterful cliffhangers are considered even more of a pulse-stopping dangler.

I do agree, thogh, that he doesn't use them excessively; they just pack one lulu of a punch when he does use 'em. :)

I could concede Shadowgod is the king of THE evil cliff-hanger with chapter 26. But CJ is the king of eeeevil cliff-hangers with too many FTL chapters to quote here. So let everyone get a crown and rejoice in the dark places these two roam around.

Now, now, Bondwriter, we can't argue with the stated votes of the readers. Shadowgods title is clearly plural; :king: King of Eeeevil Cliffhangers :king: .

Besides, everyone knows I never use cliffhangers. :)

• Site Administrator
Besides, everyone knows I never use cliffhangers. :)

There you go with the "everyone knows" phrase again. You really should delete that from your vocabulary, because it is rarely correct. I know of people who are convinced you DO use cliffhangers, and that Shadowgod is NOT the King of Eeeevil Cliffhangers. I also happen to agree with them on both counts.... :P

There you go with the "everyone knows" phrase again. You really should delete that from your vocabulary, because it is rarely correct. I know of people who are convinced you DO use cliffhangers, and that Shadowgod is NOT the King of Eeeevil Cliffhangers. I also happen to agree with them on both counts.... :P

Again we agree that not everyone knows. Mea Culpa on that.

The fact that not everyone knows simply cries out that we must strive to get the word out, don't you agree?

0:)

Oh, and I'm shocked, shocked I tell ya, that you could possibly think that I use cliffhangers! :P

• Site Administrator
Again we agree that not everyone knows. Mea Culpa on that.

The fact that not everyone knows simply cries out that we must strive to get the word out, don't you agree?

0:)

Actually, no, I don't agree, because I don't believe the original premise is correct. I believe you do use cliffhangers. Indeed, I believe you are definitely more skilled in using them than poor Shadowgod. I think he's been poorly maligned in that respect -- C James uses nastier cliffhangers than Shadowgod. That's my belief, and repeated statements to the contrary won't change my mind in that respect :P

Actually, no, I don't agree, because I don't believe the original premise is correct. I believe you do use cliffhangers. Indeed, I believe you are definitely more skilled in using them than poor Shadowgod. I think he's been poorly maligned in that respect -- C James uses nastier cliffhangers than Shadowgod. That's my belief, and repeated statements to the contrary won't change my mind in that respect :P

B) ........While possibly true Graeme, your own poll indicates that not "everyone knows"

I officially have seen a more evil cliffhanger as of 5 min ago... Duncan's Chapter 12 (just posted today.)

Shadowgod... you've got competition other than Cj for Evil Lord of Cliffhangers!

Bob D. :wub:

Ohh perhaps we should add him to the poll as well? And I noticed a conspicuous lack of Domluka's name on there... after all the craft had to start somewhere right? (lets leave Sara Bell out of this)

I still think this poll is buggy, 12 people have me as the king of evil cliffhangers yet eleven say I don't use an excessive amount and a 8 say they have seen worse cliffhangers then that of chapter 26.... Sounds like there is undue influence going on...

• Site Administrator
I still think this poll is buggy, 12 people have me as the king of evil cliffhangers yet eleven say I don't use an excessive amount and a 8 say they have seen worse cliffhangers then that of chapter 26.... Sounds like there is undue influence going on...

Should we cancel the result, then? I know someone was trying to use extortion to make people vote the way he wanted -- threatening not to post another chapter unless he got his own way (he claimed he'd be too upset to post it). I'm happy for someone to redo the poll 0:) The forum owner would be a good person to do that -- I know he'd be fair and reasonable, unlike some others I could think of. :devil:

Ohh perhaps we should add him to the poll as well? And I noticed a conspicuous lack of Domluka's name on there... after all the craft had to start somewhere right? (lets leave Sara Bell out of this)

While I do agree that it is strange that anyone who has read LiS could possibly think they have seen worse cliffhangers, I think we can probably attribute this to the wording of the question; "worse" could be read by some to imply "not good". Therefor, I think it is clear that your honored title of :king: King of Eeeeevil Cliffhangers :king: has been, hereby and forever, re-affirmed! :worship:

Should we cancel the result, then? I know someone was trying to use extortion to make people vote the way he wanted -- threatening not to post another chapter unless he got his own way (he claimed he'd be too upset to post it). I'm happy for someone to redo the poll 0:) The forum owner would be a good person to do that -- I know he'd be fair and reasonable, unlike some others I could think of. :devil:

Now, now, Echidna, I NEVER said I'd be too upset to post a chapter! I merely said that I was so rattled by the threat to shadowgod's title that I was unable to concentrate enough to format the chapter into HTML I might, possibly, have neglected to mention that I had already formatted said chapter. 0:)

As for canceling the results of this poll, well, we'd also have to cancel the results of the other poll. That would, of course, leave us back where we started, with Shadowgod being awarded the title of :king: King of Eeeeevil Cliffhangers :king: by a very select GA committee.

Shadowgod being awarded the title of :king: King of Eeeeevil Cliffhangers :king: by a very select GA committee.

While through a quirk of adevertising you can be an army of one. I do think a committee of one is, as its predecessor here, an oxy moron.

Besides, what is the name of this committee? Where is it's charter? Does Myr know this committee exists?

• Site Administrator
Are we sure we eventually defined a cliff-hanger? How can one be the king of a realm that has no borders? (Or emperor of an empire without limits, for that matter)

Thanks Bondwriter!! That really helps in making a decision :worship:

I'd like to change my votes after reading that definition. I've now decided that yes, Shadowgod does use the occasional cliffhanger, and LiS26 was a doozy. I also now believe that Greame does not use cliffhangers, and lastly, CJ uses a exorbitant amount of them and most are doozies.

Wait....that's how I originally voted.

Oh well, for the hell of it, should we nominate different people to be on a committee to decide once and for all :D ? Maybe a new poll on who will comprise the committee?

Steve

Edited by wildone
While through a quirk of adevertising you can be an army of one. I do think a committee of one is, as its predecessor here, an oxy moron.

Besides, what is the name of this committee? Where is it's charter? Does Myr know this committee exists?

The name of the committee is the Cliffhanger Committee, duly invoked and constituted.

It's membership is anonymous (surely, as an anonymous beta reader, you can appreciate this?) but I can say that the committee consisted of;

A Writer,

A Beta Reader,

a GA Forum Moderator,

a GA Administrator,

The GA Anthology Coordinator,

The Writer Support Team Lead,

and a Hosted Author.

This committee was formed with the full knowledge and support of the GA administrator who oversees writer issues, the writer support team lead, who was also extensively involved in the committee's deliberations. The vote, BTW, was unanimous.

so :P

Are we sure we eventually defined a cliff-hanger? How can one be the king of a realm that has no borders? (Or emperor of an empire without limits, for that matter)

Well, how would you define a cliffhanger? According to wikipedia, it's

A cliffhanger or cliffhanger ending is a plot device in which a movie, novel, or other work of fiction contains an abrupt ending, often leaving the main characters in a precarious or difficult situation. This type of ending is used to ensure that, if a next installment is made, audiences will return to find out how the cliffhanger is resolved. The phrase comes from the classical end-of-episode situation in silent film days, with the protagonist left hanging from the edge of a cliff.

This, surely, is the very definition of LiS 26's ending? :)

Thanks Bondwriter!! That really helps in making a decision :worship:

I'd like to change my votes after reading that definition. I've now decided that yes, Shadowgod does use the occasional cliffhanger, and LiS26 was a doozy. I also now believe that Greame does not use cliffhangers, and lastly, CJ uses a exorbitant amount of them and most are doozies.

Wait....that's how I originally voted.

Oh well, for the hell of it, should we nominate different people to be on a committee to decide once and for all :D ? Maybe a new poll on who will comprise the committee?

Steve

What? Me? Use cliffies? Never!

Steve, I fear that you have fallen under a misapprehension! ... :P

A Writer,

A Beta Reader,

a GA Forum Moderator,

a GA Administrator,

and a Hosted Author.

This committee was formed with the full knowledge and support of the GA administrator who oversees writer issues, the writer support team lead, who was also extensively involved in the committee's deliberations. The vote, BTW, was unanimous.

so :P

Spirit of Nicolae Ceaucescu, get out from this goat's body!

The name of the committee is the Cliffhanger Committee, duly invoked and constituted.

It's membership is anonymous (surely, as an anonymous beta reader, you can appreciate this?) but I can say that the committee consisted of;

A Writer,

A Beta Reader,

a GA Forum Moderator,

a GA Administrator,

and a Hosted Author.

I think you have left Pooh Bah off that list :P

Spirit of Nicolae Ceaucescu, get out from this goat's body!

Now, now Bondwriter, that isn't very nice! (For those who don't get the ref, Nicolae Ceaucescu was the communist dictator of Romania, the last communist dictator in Eastern Europe, who was rather blind to his precarious position, and naive to the point of laughability.)

Humph, I'm just trying to defend my preciuous reputation, and also assure that Shadowgod keeps his well-deserved title.

I think you have left Pooh Bah off that list :P

That's Grand Pooh Bha, thankyouverymuch... :P

Now, now Bondwriter, that isn't very nice! (For those who don't get the ref, Nicolae Ceaucescu was the communist dictator of Romania, the last communist dictator in Eastern Europe, who was rather blind to his precarious position, and naive to the point of laughability.)

Actually, he was not the last; they had one left in Albania. And his wife was something else. He got executed rather ruthlessly, though; sometimes, the crime doesn't pay. I was just celebrating your spirit of democracy, and your high number of titles.

Actually, he was not the last; they had one left in Albania. And his wife was something else. He got executed rather ruthlessly, though; sometimes, the crime doesn't pay. I was just celebrating your spirit of democracy, and your high number of titles.

Why thank you! I'm very democratic... I even insisted on a secret ballot for the committee to use. 0:)

• Site Administrator
Why thank you! I'm very democratic... I even insisted on a secret ballot for the committee to use. 0:)

Just curious -- I know the vote was unanimous, but what was the final voting tally? On the assumption that each person on the committee only voted once (which is the democratic way of doing thing), how many votes were tallied? I'm just wondering how the vote count compares with the number of people on the committee. :P