Mmm...spelling ideas

Next question: How do you spell 'mmm'

as in ---"Mmm, I like this." - purr of contentment

or ---"Mmm, let me think" - indication of thinking happening.

or---"Mmm, what did you say?" - a perhaps distracted request to repeat something.

Are these and other potential meanings all spelt the same way?

And again, is there one 'correct' answer?

What about:

mm

umm

mmmh

mmm... Are these other spelling choices?

Frances

Next question: How do you spell 'mmm'

as in ---"Mmm, I like this." - purr of contentment

or ---"Mmm, let me think" - indication of thinking happening.

or---"Mmm, what did you say?" - a perhaps distracted request to repeat something.

Are these and other potential meanings all spelt the same way?

And again, is there one 'correct' answer?

What about:

mm

umm

mmmh

mmm... Are these other spelling choices?

Frances

OK, here are my opinions:

mm (no, too short)

umm (okay, could have a different meaning than Mmm)

mmmh (no, hard to pronounce mentally when reading)

mmm (same as Mmm when not the first word in a sentence)

Mmm (same as mmm when the first word in a sentence)

There's also hmm (or hmmm) which is probably okay too.

Colin B)

• Site Administrator

Just from my own experiences, the sounds people make can be culturally different, too.

My editors are American, and consistently change my "Er..." to "Ah..." I've never complained about it, but I think that's a regional accent coming in. They would use "Ah" where I would use "Er". Similarly, "Mmm" vs "Hmm" -- different regions would use different terms. This is one of the reasons why you should be careful about using these sorts of sounds. They can mean slightly different things to different people, since they are not part of the language.

Just from my own experiences, the sounds people make can be culturally different, too.

My editors are American, and consistently change my "Er..." to "Ah..." I've never complained about it, but I think that's a regional accent coming in. They would use "Ah" where I would use "Er". Similarly, "Mmm" vs "Hmm" -- different regions would use different terms. This is one of the reasons why you should be careful about using these sorts of sounds. They can mean slightly different things to different people, since they are not part of the language.

OMG, I'm an editor, and I would never do that to what an author has written. I might bitch if there's too many of 'em, but I'd never change them.

Colin B)

• Site Administrator
OMG, I'm an editor, and I would never do that to what an author has written. I might bitch if there's too many of 'em, but I'd never change them.

Colin B)

LOL -- you're not my editor :P Different rules for different authors. In my case, I'm never so enamoured by my words that I won't accept having them changed. I trust my editors, so if they make a change I sure it's for a good reason. The main times I disagree is either because they misunderstood my intention (because my 1st draft was too unclear) or if it's an Australian vs American difference (eg. "He's in hospital" vs "He's in the hospital" -- the former is common in Australia, but largely unknown in the USA).

LOL -- you're not my editor :P Different rules for different authors. In my case, I'm never so enamoured by my words that I won't accept having them changed. I trust my editors, so if they make a change I sure it's for a good reason. The main times I disagree is either because they misunderstood my intention (because my 1st draft was too unclear) or if it's an Australian vs American difference (eg. "He's in hospital" vs "He's in the hospital" -- the former is common in Australia, but largely unknown in the USA).

I have two editors that I am working with and neither do that. While one specifically uses the words I Suggest while making changes, the other changes only the grammatical errors and comments on the plot development (beta reader stuff)...

Both of them are great and thanks to them, my work is so much cleaner.. :)

• Site Administrator
I have two editors that I am working with and neither do that. While one specifically uses the words I Suggest while making changes, the other changes only the grammatical errors and comments on the plot development (beta reader stuff)...

If you're happy with what your editors are doing, then that's all that's important.

• Site Moderator

I take into account who the author is and where the story takes place. Grammar check will also show me the grammar style being used so I also go accordingly, like UK vs. US.

Ultimately, it's the author who has the right to accept or deny and changes that the editor makes. That's why I suggest changes. About the only time I do make a change is if there is an extra space between words. If it occurs several times, then I let the author know about it.

Jan