Gay Music

FrenchCanadian

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I say to friend the music, artist, I like, they almost all have for comment that I listen to gay music.

Is there really such a thing as gay music? If so, what is for you gay music?

Here is an abridged list of artists and genres: Celine Dion, Bette Midler, disco, remixes, Barbara Streisand, musicals, and Judy Garland

I shall stress that it is stereotyping, however.

Well you were playing "I'm Coming Out" by Diana Ross earlier, lol. And you like Madonna and Mika and Celine. But then again you also like Nickelback and Big & Rich and classical music.

I think gay music isn't necessarily "gay" in any particular way. But in a lot of cases gay music gets that name because those artists actively court a gay audience, Madonna definitely fits in that category. Bette Midler too.

Well you were playing "I'm Coming Out" by Diana Ross earlier, lol. And you like Madonna and Mika and Celine. But then again you also like Nickelback and Big & Rich and classical music.

I think gay music isn't necessarily "gay" in any particular way. But in a lot of cases gay music gets that name because those artists actively court a gay audience, Madonna definitely fits in that category. Bette Midler too.

we might have forgotten Shania twain?!?

Ya, personally, I have a very wide range of artist I play, therefore I'm bound to listen to some stereotype gay music. :music:0:)

we might have forgotten Shania twain?!?

Ya, personally, I have a very wide range of artist I play, therefore I'm bound to listen to some stereotype gay music. :music:0:)

Haha yeah I forgot Shania Twain and Shakira and a few others. :whistle:

I think your taste in music is fine, with the exception of maybe one song, lol. :lol: Yeah some of it may be construed as gay, but so what? Music makes the people come together.

Haha yeah I forgot Shania Twain and Shakira and a few others. :whistle:

I think your taste in music is fine, with the exception of maybe one song, lol. :lol: Yeah some of it may be construed as gay, but so what? Music makes the people come together.

Is Shakira really "gay music"!!??

There is few artist who are gay and write about gay issues etc.

But as in Artist some of mine is few of Tegan and Sara, yea some of Maddona's you could consider and Kevin Cahoon.

But none of the artist I spoke about, write and sing about everyday things, and issues.

Edited by Drewbie

When I say to friend the music, artist, I like, they almost all have for comment that I listen to gay music.

First of all let me say how much I worship French Canadians. :worship: How is it possible to be so cute and have such a sexy accent?

Now. On to the question.

NO! There is no such thing as gay music. Music is asexual and can not, by definition, be attracted to the same sex.

There is music that gay people like better than music for and about breeders. I personally like Stone Temple Pilots, Pink Floyd, Green Day, Metallica. That doesn't make any of that music gay.

I can't stand Duran, Duran, Boy George or Toni Basil. Although they are gay musicians, their music isn't so much gay as it is wretched.

There is music that gay people like better than music for and about breeders. I personally like Stone Temple Pilots, Pink Floyd, Green Day, Metallica. That doesn't make any of that music gay.

I can't stand Duran, Duran, Boy George or Toni Basil. Although they are gay musicians, their music isn't so much gay as it is wretched.

I like STP, Pink Floyd, Green Day, and Metallica as well. You have great taste in music, James.

As a genre, I think not. Individual artists and individual songs, yes.

Lots of artists have been listed already. I'd add Elton John, BoyZone, R.E.M., Chumbawamba, and Robbie Williams to the list.

Some of the songs I'd include are:

GooGoo Dolls:

- Give a Little Bit

BoyZone:

- I Love the Way You Love Me

- Everyday I Love You

- Your Song

- Baby I Can Hold You

- Words

- Mystical Experience

- All That I Need

Chumbawamba:

- Homophobia

- A Love That Dare Not Speak It's Name (Hidden Track on A Singsong and a Scrap)

Are all of these specifically gay? No, except for the two Chumbawamba tracks. But they are gender-neutral, and I think that they say something specifically to gays of either gender.

Colin B)

As a genre, I think not. Individual artists and individual songs, yes.

Lots of artists have been listed already. I'd add Elton John, BoyZone, R.E.M., Chumbawamba, and Robbie Williams to the list.

Some of the songs I'd include are:

GooGoo Dolls:

- Give a Little Bit

BoyZone:

- I Love the Way You Love Me

- Everyday I Love You

- Your Song

- Baby I Can Hold You

- Words

- Mystical Experience

- All That I Need

Chumbawamba:

- Homophobia

- A Love That Dare Not Speak It's Name (Hidden Track on A Singsong and a Scrap)

Are all of these specifically gay? No, except for the two Chumbawamba tracks. But they are gender-neutral, and I think that they say something specifically to gays of either gender.

Colin B)

Unfortunately there are few gender-neutral songs in the world. I love Celine Dion's music despite the fact that most of them are about breeders. Some of those songs are beautiful nonetheless, especially The Power of Love.

The Goo Goo Dolls - Iris

reeks of being closeted too. :P

LOL. In fact, I have suspected several artists of writing 'disguised' gay songs. LOL. But I've never kept a list. But yeah, even 'straight' bands have songs in which gays wouldn't have any trouble relating to.

Forget about Boybands. They're all gay! LOL. I hate boybands. ;)

Can music be gay or straight?

Well, the stereotypical response would be Judy Garland, Celine Dion, Madonna, Bette Midler, and even Dwight Yoakam could be considered to appeal to gay audiences, but do they play gay music?

To me, I Can Hear Music by The Beach Boys is about as gay as you can get. It's definitely not gender specific so it can be sung to a guy and well as a girl, which most would assume is the target of the song.

If you're listening to Love for Sale by Billie Holiday, you could say it's about as straight a song as it can be, but if it's sung by Harry Connick, Jr., (who by the way continues to remain on my cute list) does that make it a gay song?

If a straight person tells me the music I listen to is gay, do I think their opinion is worth anythhing?

To be honest, if the music hits me in the balls it must be gay since I am gay and I'm responding to the music in a sexual way. Some music does that and some doesn't, but I think it's a matter of personal taste. To say everything I listen to is gay simply because I'm gay doesn't hold much weight as far as I'm concerned. After all, I don't think Connie Francis meant what I'm thinking when I listen to Where the Boys Are.

Carl :boy:

Can music be gay or straight?

Well, the stereotypical response would be Judy Garland, Celine Dion, Madonna, Bette Midler, and even Dwight Yoakam could be considered to appeal to gay audiences, but do they play gay music?

To me, I Can Hear Music by The Beach Boys is about as gay as you can get. It's definitely not gender specific so it can be sung to a guy and well as a girl, which most would assume is the target of the song.

If you're listening to Love for Sale by Billie Holiday, you could say it's about as straight a song as it can be, but if it's sung by Harry Connick, Jr., (who by the way continues to remain on my cute list) does that make it a gay song?

If a straight person tells me the music I listen to is gay, do I think their opinion is worth anythhing?

To be honest, if the music hits me in the balls it must be gay since I am gay and I'm responding to the music in a sexual way. Some music does that and some doesn't, but I think it's a matter of personal taste. To say everything I listen to is gay simply because I'm gay doesn't hold much weight as far as I'm concerned. After all, I don't think Connie Francis meant what I'm thinking when I listen to Where the Boys Are.

Carl :boy:

I like them all except Dwight Yoakum. :P Music has been a driving force for humans since the beginning of time. When I listen to a great piano piece like Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu, I'm not thinking about sexuality. Music for me is more about artistic expression and beauty. Music is one of two universal languages. Music can express our greatest desires, our greatest fears, our greatest sadness, and our love for our country and each other. The recording artists, composers, and lyricists create music from their hearts and minds as the best way they know how. Love is the most common theme in music as love is the most powerful of all emotions.

• Site Administrator

I like Meatloaf and Jon Bon Jovi :) As a general rule, I like songs, rather than artists or genre. There are artists that I like almost all their work (eg. Dire Straits, Billy Joel), but it is always the songs that I like, and it's always for non-rational reasons. Music is supposed to connect on an emotional level, not a rational one (at least in my opinion), and so I can't say why I like some songs more than others.

Oh, and James? You've managed to confuse me, since, technically, I'm gay and a breeder :P For me, music has to appeal equally to both to a gay person and a breeder. :D

I like Meatloaf and Jon Bon Jovi :) As a general rule, I like songs, rather than artists or genre. There are artists that I like almost all their work (eg. Dire Straits, Billy Joel), but it is always the songs that I like, and it's always for non-rational reasons. Music is supposed to connect on an emotional level, not a rational one (at least in my opinion), and so I can't say why I like some songs more than others.

Oh, and James? You've managed to confuse me, since, technically, I'm gay and a breeder :P For me, music has to appeal equally to both to a gay person and a breeder. :D

Oh, ya, in general, I like the songs, long life to store like the itunes that let you buy a song at the time.

and graeme that means that you're at the best place,, you can like artist that are supposed to "attrack" gay and those for breeders :lol:

Cracked me up! :lol:

As far as entertainers, I'm surprised no one mentioned Rufus Wainwright. He's a rising star and gay.

I'm more mellow - it's a generational thing - and listen to MOR entertainers like Josh Grobin (who, if you read the Bulge Report, has a lot going for him besides music), Michael Buble and Harry Connick, Jr. In jazz, Diane Schuur and and Diana Krall ring my chimes.

But my real passion is classical symphony music. I usually listen to FM stations - KUSC in LA, and Classic FM in London - while I'm reading or writing. And I'm very fortunate to live in a small community that offers a live concert series during the winter season. This year, the orchestras include the Royal Phil, LA Phil, and the Czech Phil among others.

I don't have the gay opera gene, however. Been there; tried that.

Jack B)

Cracked me up! :lol:

As far as entertainers, I'm surprised no one mentioned Rufus Wainwright. He's a rising star and gay.

I'm more mellow - it's a generational thing - and listen to MOR entertainers like Josh Grobin (who, if you read the Bulge Report, has a lot going for him besides music), Michael Buble and Harry Connick, Jr. In jazz, Diane Schuur and and Diana Krall ring my chimes.

But my real passion is classical symphony music. I usually listen to FM stations - KUSC in LA, and Classic FM in London - while I'm reading or writing. And I'm very fortunate to live in a small community that offers a live concert series during the winter season. This year, the orchestras include the Royal Phil, LA Phil, and the Czech Phil among others.

I don't have the gay opera gene, however. Been there; tried that.

Jack B)

I like listening to pop opera, especially Andrea Bocelli and Il Divo. Tchaikovsky is my favorite composer. He was gay too.

I like listening to pop opera, especially Andrea Bocelli and Il Divo. Tchaikovsky is my favorite composer. He was gay too.

Alright, I know that there is a lot of gay or at least gay friendly artist in the entertainment business but I gotta say, I learned about a lot of them.

it's maybe because I don't really give a dam if someone is gay or not,, it won't make me like them and listen to them because they are or not

Alright, I know that there is a lot of gay or at least gay friendly artist in the entertainment business but I gotta say, I learned about a lot of them.

it's maybe because I don't really give a dam if someone is gay or not,, it won't make me like them and listen to them because they are or not

I don't base the music in which I listen upon what I like, not whether the artist is "gay friendly." I'm eccelectic.

A youthful indiscretion perhaps? :lmao:

For me, music and music styles don't have anything to do with sexual orientation. Well, there are of course some openly gay artists that have some obviously gay love songs (at least here in germany there are some), but that doesn't make me like the music. If the music fits my mood, and gives me goosebumps, its good... thats all that counts ;-)