Message Board Topic 1/28

There's no doubt that, while writing a story all the way through is challenging in itself, that there is also a great deal of planning that goes into every word that you read. Characters have to be created, dialogue has to be written, a theme and plot has to be ironed out, details and interesting events have to be prepared...it can be a real undertaking for any author. And most of it takes place before the first word is even written.

However, occassionally, it's enough to get the basic concept worked out and begin the story before planning it out completely. The story can then pretty much write itself, and guide an author to an ending all on its own. Often revealing itself little by little until the story is told.

The question this week is...can you, as a reader, tell the difference when you see it? Do stories that were planned out beforehand feel 'structured' and locked in to a certain confined pattern? Do stories that are 'made up as they go along' feel airy and unfocused? Whether the author is forcing his story in a certain way, or is constantly searching for a direction to take the plot, can you feel it when you read, and does it bother you? Which way would you rather have it done? Let us know!

it doesn't really bother me either but if I really had to choose I would choose a mixture

it is nice when we can really feel that the basic characters are structured, we know that the author really knows where he is going in terms of dictating emotions of certain characters or their flaws... as for the rest it's nice to be able to feel when it isn't all planned out and the writer has no clue of where he is going... keep us on the edge...

as well when it is all planned out I can't always tell I guess it's all a matter of cliffhangers (which you seem to be sooo good at, you meanie) and yes it's nice to be able to predict when a story will go a certain way... and be wrong as well

I guess what i'm trying to say is have the main idea, big plot characters feelings bio structured and as far as the diaolgue goes let be guided

moonwolf

Planning is all well and good but give yourself room for those AHA moments that many writers have when they see the story coming together.

Good things to plan are: characters- who they are, their likes, dislikes, passions and peaves- and how they might change through the story arc. Setting is something that is also needs some thought if not some real planning. If your story takes place in Las Vegas and you've never been there then do some research for goodness sake.

Outlines of chapters and chunks of chapters: I'm luke warm on. Remember- its all like clay and you can work on it until you feel like its right.

• Site Administrator

I agree with James. I know the ending I'm aiming for (though it could change) and a few major events along the way. Otherwise I usually only think one chapter ahead, and that's only to try to avoid writing myself into a corner.

As a reader, I can't usually tell if the stories are planned out ahead of time or not, unless the story is poorly written, or serialised. If the story is completed before it is posted, just because something in chapter 2 set up something in chapter 20, that doesn't mean the story was planned out. It's possible that when the author got to chapter 20 he went back to chapter 2 to set something up.

Comsie, I always feel so smart when I recognize foreshadowing. So, make me feel good and plan a little! Plus, I'm sometimes annoyed by plot twists that are totally out of the blue. But like everyone said, too much planning can sometimes stifle creativity. I think a lot of it depends on how your mind works best. I've seen some writer discussions that talk about how their characters got away from them and totally went off the deep end, but created one of the best scenes in the story. I think the most important thing would be to remember to stay in character. All characters grow and change, but if your characters start acting manic, then the story will suffer.

Thanks,

Steph :D

Sometimes i recognize that a story went "of the planned path", especially if it causes inconsistencies with earlier chapters, or a character changes its personality/way of acting very much. That only distracts me if it is really out of line for the character.

As for "planned" or "unplanned" plots, its hard to tell for me as i am not a writer, but i suppose you need to have a general plan, a framework for your story. Not too tight, so your characters have space to grow and change (which is only natural, gives it a human touch). I don't mind at all if a story takes unexpected turns or end different from what i expected. If at the end it still all fits together, i like to be "lead around by the nose" (if that is a proper English term ;) ).

Hmm, did this make any sense ?

• 2 weeks later...

I do agree with a lot of what you guys said, and that's pretty much what I try to do when I'm writing. I always start off with a very clear idea of what the story is about, what the characters are, and where I want it to go. But while I'm actually 'writing' it out, all KINDS of surprise events come to mind, and if it feels natural, then I go with it. But I always try to keep my head while I'm doing it. Like, I could have an idea for a really cool scene or some really dramatic dialogue...but I have to ask myself, "Does this stay in tune with the story and what I'm trying to say with it?" And I've been forced to toss out a lot of really cool ideas because of that.

(Hehehe, and by 'toss out', I mean start a whole other series altogether just so I could use it later! :P )

The best example would be "GFD". I sat for hours, days, weeks, MONTHS...just planning out that story on paper! I have notebooks FULL of characters, and scenes, and plot points, and dialogue, and fight scenes, that I wrote back before I even started the first chapter. I had a writing teacher tell me that you should always have a definite idea of a beginning, a middle, and an end, before starting out anything new. It's something that I stick to with everything I write. Trust me, all of my stories have 'endings' in my mind...but getting there can be a looooonnnng process most times! And I try not to push anything or skip out on detail, so a lot of new ideas pop up all the time. Sometimes, just reading emails and message board posts about "GFD" can spark a whole new idea. And if it feels right, I follow it. I think it helps to keep the story 'organic' and spontaneous.

When I write chapters, especially for the sci fi stories, I alwas imagine the chapter like a 'movie trailer' before I start. Music and all. Hehehe, seriously. I think about what big moments I want to happen in each chapter, what big plot lines I want to introduce, and what major scenes I want to take place. So I create a little movie trailer in my head, and I pick out all of the most vivid parts from the chapter, string them together, and then I start writing...getting from point A, to point B, to point C, and so on...fluidly, and without making it look mechanical or forced. And by the end of the chapter, I hope to have that entire theme played out so I can move on to the next part, and repeat the process all over again.

So yes, a 'plan' is necessary, but improvising and allowing your characters some freedom to write a percentage of the story 'for' you is a must.

Can I tell ne way or the other? Sometimes, yes. I've read some stories where it feelslike the author doesn't know where the story is going, and the writing seems to just be 'drifting along' with no real direction or purpose for what's going on. I've done it myself before, when I didn't know how to flawlessly jump from one scene to another. So I know it's a challenge to work that out. And there are also times when it feels like the author is 'pushing' you to read the story in a particular way, and it feels like he's rushing to get to an inevitable end no matter what it takes. Those stories can sometimes feel like they're hurrying to get to the end, instead of immersing themselves deeply in the story. So I can 'feel' it sometimes whether it's planned too tightly, or not planned at all. But that doesn't make it a bad story...it's just something you can notice if you look for it.

Anyway, thanks for the input, you guys! Sorry it took me a couple weeks to answer this one!

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..