[DomLuka] DomLuka IS Jane Austen

It doesn't have quite the catch of 'Callas IS Carmen,' but it's true. Here's why:

*spoilers*

- Both Jane and Dom focus on one specific spatial setting. Pride and Prejudice (P&P) and Sense and Sensibility (S&S) took place in the English country gentry, with brief excursions into town. Log Way took place in one neighborhood; DD around another. This is more important than it seems -- I believe it's an authorial choice, or instinct.

- Both Jane and Dom focus on a specific social stratus. Jane on the country gentry; Dom on the working middle class.

- Romance is important but subsidiary. Jane's characters focus on securing their financial situation; Dom on coming of age and coming to terms with oneself and one's family. This makes the romantic aspect more believable and avoids running the risk of being maudlin.

- Jane and Dom have a wicked sense of humor.

- DD and P&P have very similar plots. Elizabeth/Rory initially fancies Wickham/Aaron and dislikes Darcy/Seth. Then, over the course of a delicious courtship, Elizabeth/Rory units with Darcy/Seth.

- Both have writing styles that are direct and straightforward.

*end spoilers*

Hmm, my arguments seemed better when they were still in my head. And they consider only a small part of each author's ouvre. But, well, here's another:

- I reread both of them like mad.

:D I am such a Domaholic. He should come back before I start comparing him to Tolstoy... :blink:

:D I am such a Domaholic. He should come back before I start comparing him to Tolstoy... :blink:

Oh no, does that mean we can look forward to War and Trust? :D

I miss Dom. I hope he's surviving and thriving at whatever he's doing, of course, but I also hope he'll make it back here soon. :)

- dfp

It doesn't have quite the catch of 'Callas IS Carmen,' but it's true. Here's why:

*spoilers*

- Both Jane and Dom focus on one specific spatial setting. Pride and Prejudice (P&P) and Sense and Sensibility (S&S) took place in the English country gentry, with brief excursions into town. Log Way took place in one neighborhood; DD around another. This is more important than it seems -- I believe it's an authorial choice, or instinct.

- Both Jane and Dom focus on a specific social stratus. Jane on the country gentry; Dom on the working middle class.

- Romance is important but subsidiary. Jane's characters focus on securing their financial situation; Dom on coming of age and coming to terms with oneself and one's family. This makes the romantic aspect more believable and avoids running the risk of being maudlin.

- Jane and Dom have a wicked sense of humor.

- DD and P&P have very similar plots. Elizabeth/Rory initially fancies Wickham/Aaron and dislikes Darcy/Seth. Then, over the course of a delicious courtship, Elizabeth/Rory units with Darcy/Seth.

- Both have writing styles that are direct and straightforward.

*end spoilers*

Hmm, my arguments seemed better when they were still in my head. And they consider only a small part of each author's ouvre. But, well, here's another:

- I reread both of them like mad.

This is fantastic, Corvus!!! :2thumbs::great::lmao:

Oh no, does that mean we can look forward to War and Trust? :D

:lol:

I can already see this entering the next round of Dom Trivia

"Dom has been compared to which classic author?"

Oh I love Jane Austen. :wub::wub: My goodness I've read her.. a billion times over the years.. and I could read her another billion if I can find the time to.. lol. I've also found myself rereading Dom as well. The comparisons can be made I guess, both exceptional writers in their own right.

:)