I just finished this story, and all I can say is wow! That was an amazing story full of depth, emotion, tragedy and triumph. Colten Barton lived a nightmare for 6 years, and even though he still lives with the residual effects of what happened, he's found both the vehicle and the path to recovery, if it's possible at all.

Great job, Tiff. Thanks for crafting this amazing story and sharing it with us.

Thanks for starting this thread Nick. For those of you looking to find this story Tiff is a Hosted Author and she goes by TC.

I hardly know where to begin. This story ends on a somewhat upbeat note. And yet overall the horror of what Colton went through leaves me drained emotionally. I think it's actually a very sad story. It's certainly a story that will stay with me for a long time. Especially that night when everything changed for Colton. Graphic hardly describes the level of detail you supplied Tiff. I felt like I was there, witnessing everything that was happening. It made me a little sick to my stomach, as well it should have. The future seems a little brighter for Colton at the end, and yet you made it clear he will probably always be haunted on some level by the events that changed his life forever.

Thank you for writing this Tiff. I'm sure it was much more painful for you to write than it was for me to read. For that you have my undying gratitude and a new fan.

[Edit Reason: Spelled Colton's name correctly. Bad Nick! ;) ]

Edited by GaryInMiami
I just finished this story, and all I can say is wow! That was an amazing story full of depth, emotion, tragedy and triumph. Colten Barton lived a nightmare for 6 years, and even though he still lives with the residual effects of what happened, he's found both the vehicle and the path to recovery, if it's possible at all.

Great job, Tiff. Thanks for crafting this amazing story and sharing it with us.

Thanks! I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I was a bit surprised to see this new thread in my forum! I wrote that short story awhile ago.

This story came to me one evening and I spent the entire night writing it. I wanted to show that even though someone got justice and revenge, they don't automatically feel better. Their tragedies and past events still effect their future and themselves as a person.

Thanks for reading and starting the thread.

Thanks for starting this thread Nick. For those of you looking to find this story Tiff is a Hosted Author and she goes by TC.

I hardly know where to begin. This story ends on a somewhat upbeat note. And yet overall the horror of what Colten went through leaves me drained emotionally. I think it's actually a very sad story. It's certainly a story that will stay with me for a long time. Especially that night when everything changed for Colten. Graphic hardly describes the level of detail you supplied Tiff. I felt like I was there, witnessing everything that was happening. It made me a little sick to my stomach, as well it should have. The future seems a little brighter for Colten at the end, and yet you made it clear he will probably always be haunted on some level by the events that changed his life forever.

Thank you for writing this Tiff. I'm sure it was much more painful for you to write than it was for me to read. For that you have my undying gratitude and a new fan.

Heyhey Gary! Glad you enjoyed this as well.

The story is indeed a sad one, because Colton will never be able to let go of his past and it will continue to haunt him forever. Even if he found love and someone to share his life with, the past consumes him every now and then-- he can never truly escape from what he did and what's been done to him.

The scenes were a bit graphic and I tried to tell a story and add some poetic elements/style to it, and my editor and I had to work on it since she didn't know how readers would respond to it. Truthfully, I enjoyed writing the graphic scenes. I tried getting into Colton's head and from his perspective, when all he wanted was revenge and to hurt the ones that hurt him, the blood, the smells, the fear of his attackers, it was scary, but beautiful and fascinating at the same time. Especially since he wasn't exactly thinking rationally at that point.

Thanks again for reading!

Btw, I'm not exactly a Hosted author. I'm a Shared Hosted, but perhaps one day I'll move on up! :D I need to write more gut-wrenchers!

Oh wow. I had absolutely no idea this Tiff was you, Tiff. Nick mentioned Tiffani Chin, so I went to the authors page and looked for a Tiff but couldn't find one. I eventually figured TC had to be Tiffani Chin and I thought it was in the Hosted Author section. As much time as we've spent posting back-to-back I never knew your full first name so that's why I was so confused.

My respect for you as an author, and for your opinions about other authors has increased by several orders of magnitude. thumbs-up.gif

Drewbie said I should read your longer story so I'm going to do that as soon as a finish a big beta/editing assignment.

Man, what a great way to end a perfect Sunday! love2.gif

Oh wow. I had absolutely no idea this Tiff was you, Tiff. Nick mentioned Tiffani Chin, so I went to the authors page and looked for a Tiff but couldn't find one. I eventually figured TC had to be Tiffani Chin and I thought it was in the Hosted Author section. As much time as we've spent posting back-to-back I never knew your full first name so that's why I was so confused.

My respect for you as an author, and for your opinions about other authors has increased by several orders of magnitude. thumbs-up.gif

Drewbie said I should read your longer story so I'm going to do that as soon as a finish a big beta/editing assignment.

Man, what a great way to end a perfect Sunday! love2.gif

Yeah, my multiple names are confusing! LOL. I will have to fix that. I didn't know what I was thinking or doing awhile ago when my site was designed. Hmm, I imagine tons of others are confused as well. My bad.

Must thank Drewbie for spreading the word. He's a very loyal fan. (Thanks Drewbie :worship: ).

When you finish the series, let me know. I could use some help on something.

At the very least I think you need to ask Joe to change your name in the list of authors from TC to Tiff so it matches your screen name. TC looks cooler but Tiff is far less confusing.

If you want some help re-designing your page I'll help you. Frankly, except for the name confusion your site is fine the way it is. I like simple designs with easy navigation and that's what you've got.

I'm gonna read the first chapter of your story to see if it hooks me. But then I must complete that assignment I mentioned. I'll be happy to offer you help, advice, my first born--oh wait, that's not gonna happen--anything you want. You know how I feel about you. :wub:

I'm gonna read the first chapter of your story to see if it hooks me. But then I must complete that assignment I mentioned. I'll be happy to offer you help, advice, my first born--oh wait, that's not gonna happen--anything you want. You know how I feel about you. :wub:

:lol: You're crazy funny Gary!

Well, aren't you just a huge busy bee with your beta/editing assignments. High in demand, eh? :D That's not surprising, you're pretty damn speedy when it comes to beta-reading/editing. You had my summer anthology back to me within the same day. Sharon too! You two are speed demons!

Hope you finish your assignment without any problems. I wrote an anniversary anthology and I'm not sure if it's appropriate or not, at least for the theme. I'm going to tweak it a bit more, but I'll post for several beta-readers. I hope you'll be one of them. Your opinion and advice means a lot. :wub:

As for the long serial story, I need tips on how to tie the loose ends. I'm having a massive mental block right now and nothing seems right! :wacko: But let's see if my story can hook you first!

Heh, I'm speedy when I've got good material to work with. I just took a look at what I sent back to you and the changes I suggested were quite minimal. Mostly that hyphen vs. ellipses thing that corvus does too.

OK, no more chatter from me tonight. I want to read at least one chapter of your story before my evening meds kick in and render me incapable of reading. I take a high dose of some potent bi-polar meds at night and they really screw with my brain.

I just finished reading this story and enjoyed it a lot.

The style of short, staccato sentences, each on its own line, is something I'm not accustomed to, and it works wonderfully well with this story.

Kit

That was an interesting and trippy story. I thought the description of the death was just plain masterful. That was a great story, Tiff. :worship:

Thanks! Death scenes are usually quick and brutal; this death was gruesome also, but I tried to soften the blows by making it sound a bit poetic. Hope I accomplished that. Either way, very glad you enjoyed it.

I just finished reading this story and enjoyed it a lot.

The style of short, staccato sentences, each on its own line, is something I'm not accustomed to, and it works wonderfully well with this story.

Kit

When I first gave this to my editor, she thought the short, staccato sentences in a somewhat poetry format might be a problem for readers. It is different and I agreed with her, however, I think it gave more meaning and depth to the character's problems and emotions. Anyway, glad you enjoyed it. : )

Hey Tiff! I *finally* got around to reading this. I'd been planning to for a while. And whew, it was an experience. The form you used -- i.e., the one paragraph sentences -- is very risky, because I've seen it done in many places where it's fallen flat. You need to have an edginess and a strong kinetic presence to keep it up. You managed to do it with a very swift pace and a dark tone -- so bravo! The characters were persuasive, and Colton's transformations were well done. The happy ending at the end felt very well deserved.

If I were to suggest changes, I'd look at using contractions instead of non-contractions. I know there's an appeal to the "elevated-ness" of non-contractions, but it's sometimes too much. I didn't use contractions in M&W as much as I should, and I regret it. It gives the story more grit.

Anyway, well done! :)

• 1 month later...

I just read this right after reading your new anthology submission ("The River") and between the two, I think I have had my stomach turned about as much as it can handle for this week. You don't shy away from the difficult topics, do you, Tiff?

This story was unexpected. At first, with the intro, I thought Colton would be some kind of sociopathic serial killer. The direction it took was far different, though equally gruesome. The contrast between the violence of Colton's past and the love of his present/future is stunning. And while overall, nobody could ever accuse you of being subtle in this one, it's a poignant read.

I just read this right after reading your new anthology submission ("The River") and between the two, I think I have had my stomach turned about as much as it can handle for this week. You don't shy away from the difficult topics, do you, Tiff?

This story was unexpected. At first, with the intro, I thought Colton would be some kind of sociopathic serial killer. The direction it took was far different, though equally gruesome. The contrast between the violence of Colton's past and the love of his present/future is stunning. And while overall, nobody could ever accuse you of being subtle in this one, it's a poignant read.

Hey again, CR! Yay for another one of your comments! :D

This was my first short story, actually. The opening line of the story kept running through my head, and I just had to write something. I always wondered how someone would feel after they killed someone, intentionally or unintentionally. If it was justified, which I feel that it was in this story, would we feel guilt and shame, or free like Colton?

Although Colton is not completely free because he keeps remembering what he has done. He regrets being at the wrong place at the wrong time, but he doesn't regret the murders per se. It's all associated together.

I wanted to make Colton seem really dead and emotionless and a bit crazy, from the professor's POV. I'm glad it came off that way, especially if you assumed he might be some serial killer. That means I did my job!

Thanks again for reading and commenting. :worship: