There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

rknapp

As some of you may already know (John and Drew definitely know, and some others from chat may know), my big workhorse desktop computer has been on an IV drip since last Sunday morning (the past week and a half). What happen was at around 10:20am on that day, we lost power. I was surfing the internet, and then all of a sudden the screen went blank, the computer went dark, the ceiling fan turned off, and mom went "What happened??" from the other room. Yeah, with bright blue skies and no wind, the power went out for ten minutes. When it came back on I rebooted my desktop, intending on getting back to work. Apparently the big bad Power Company had other ideas, as Windows failed to boot, giving me a derivative of the blue screen of death (first time I saw that since my days with Windows ME). The hard drive was toast! Shit! I have so much important and irreplaceable data on that! I have notes for a class that I'll need for a test on next Monday, notes for a paper due that same day, pictures, videos, story information, other schoolwork, the list goes on! I even have a folder that is very important to me and someone special to me.

The first thing I tried to do was repair the installation of Windows 2000 that was on the drive, figuring it got corrupted from the surge (even though everything is connected to a surge protector). Found that my copies of 2000 do not include the repair module, so I had get a new copy. Did that and came to find that the program I used to make bootable CDs was installed on the near-dead drive. Crap. I installed the old hard drive from my old Compaq desktop, intending to use that to access the near-dead drive as a slave... turns out the system didn't like having both drives connected at all and gave me the same blue screen. Installed another installation of 2000 in the Compaq drive, and it only worked if only one drive was connected at a time.

At the advice of my sister I went onto Tigerdirect.com and ordered a new hard drive (500 GB Western Digital to replace the 5 year old 80 GB Western Digital that was in its death throws), a hard drive enclosure for the old Western Digital drive, and 2 GB of memory (that was my gift to myself, may as well upgrade to 4 gigs lol). The parts came, I formatted the new drive, and installed 2000 on it. Installed the old WD into the enclosure and connected it via USB... nothing! Windows knew it was there and said the device failed to start, and it did not appear in My Computer.

At the advice of my old roommate, I downloaded the CD version of Knoppix and burned the ISO image to a CD via Alcohol 120% and booted the desktop from it. Knoppix found the drive, but failed to mount it. Knoppix one-upped Windows, though, and told me how to fix it... boot into Windows, run chkdsk /f, and reboot twice. On the second reboot Windows picked up the hammer and set work fixing the drive. After a few minutes of deleting corrupted files, fixing the master boot record, etc. Windows booted. I checked it out...

IT LIVES!!!!!!!!11!111!one!

Robbie -1, Power Company - 1

They get one point because in all this, I also tried to update my motherboard BIOS... and found that my wireless network adapter was fried as well. The new one is in Parsippanny, probably en route to Bound Brook now, and will be at my door tomorrow evening.

Errr, well I confess most of that went right over my head (so high in fact that I didn't even feel the breeze). Nevertheless, I think the gist is that you were having computer trouble but have largely resolved the matter. So yay for you, Robbie! :2thumbs:

Edited by AFriendlyFace

Errr, well I confess most of that went right over my head (so high in fact that I didn't even feel the breeze). Nevertheless, I think the gist is that you were having computer trouble but have largely resolved the matter. So yay for you, Robbie! :2thumbs:

B) ...........What's really scary!! A lot of people understood what Robbie was talking about! :wacko:

I guess this is kinda a geek comment, but chkdsk /f is probably one of the most powerful commands left over from the MS-DOS days. It is an invaluable tool for correcting hard drive errors. Unfortunately, you generally have to be in some form of "safe" mode to run it because it is such a low level program that once windows boots and gets control of the file system, it locks you out from the file system and the /f (which actually fixes the problem) won't work.

2 other notes, I have found the Ultimate Boot CD http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ to be a powerful tool in helping to solve dead system problems. Second, when you update your system bios, there is sometimes an issue with the exact timing on some of the systemboard chips. This can cause problems with a hard drive.

Congrats on getting your system back :P

Uninterruptable power supplies are not that expensive if you don't get one that goes on for hours. When I lived in the country, there would be a lot of outages of just a couple of seconds. Also, I had reason to distrust the quality of the electrical transmissions. When I got a UPS, not only did it keep the computer going during short outages, but it also gave some protection from the weirdness of the current. My first one had lights that showed when the voltage was too high or low, and they would kick on several times a day. (I also put higher-voltage-rated light bulbs in the hall, and they didn't blow out every few days, like regular bulbs did on that circuit.)

The good side of your ordeal is that you had an excuse to get a 500 GB hard drive. Congratulations on getting the computer going again, and more so on having the smarts to work it out.

I hated it when that happens... the fear of loosing anything and everything! But see? the power of linux works wonders haha (hence why I love my avatar :P )

Robbie, if you ever need any help with anything, you know how to contact me (also you possibly can still use the 80gig drive along with the 500gig) so feel free to!

I'm a tech geek I know :)

As always!

I guess this is kinda a geek comment, but chkdsk /f is probably one of the most powerful commands left over from the MS-DOS days. It is an invaluable tool for correcting hard drive errors. Unfortunately, you generally have to be in some form of "safe" mode to run it because it is such a low level program that once windows boots and gets control of the file system, it locks you out from the file system and the /f (which actually fixes the problem) won't work.

2 other notes, I have found the Ultimate Boot CD http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ to be a powerful tool in helping to solve dead system problems. Second, when you update your system bios, there is sometimes an issue with the exact timing on some of the systemboard chips. This can cause problems with a hard drive.

Congrats on getting your system back :P

This was the first time that Windows ever came through for me lol.

The new wireless adapter is supposedly out for delivery... went out at 4:50 am. For some reason it takes UPS more than 12 hours to get from Bound Brook to here, always (20 minute drive).

I'll second this. My mom's got a secondhand laptop that dies in various ways every so often, and just about every time, I tell her using a variety of small words: "get a command prompt, type chkdsk /f, and follow instructions. Beyond this, there be dragons."

It's worked every time, dragons avoided.

-- Raro

Ya know what's really scary about me reading this is that I actually understood half of what you said and I'm usually the one who sits there and goes "Do what to the what? English man! Not computer speak!!"

The good side of your ordeal is that you had an excuse to get a 500 GB hard drive. Congratulations on getting the computer going again, and more so on having the smarts to work it out.

Gigs and Ram are about as far as my computer knowledge goes, and even there I only know that more is generally better. I am aware that my own computer is running out of space, I've even had to start deleting stuff. I'm not worried though. *whispers* I'm quite sure my computer doesn't have very long left. When it dies for good I'll go get another and it'll probably have more space (and certainly less junk on it :boy: ).

On another note, if I disappear for a few days there's a good chance it's that. It's already refused to come on more than once, but thus far it's eventually complied.

Edited by AFriendlyFace

New wireless adapter is in place, drivers installed, network connected. All is well! Now for the tedious task of reinstalling all of my software and updating the drivers for my hardware... oy vey.

New wireless adapter is in place, drivers installed, network connected. All is well! Now for the tedious task of reinstalling all of my software and updating the drivers for my hardware... oy vey.

Robbie, are you Jewish?? :P

Robbie... please please say your not back to using Windows ME! That's satans tool!!!!!!!

If you want a good FREE operating system, use Mandriva... it has drivers for almost everything and its extremely easy to use (with the exception of my desktop which is running win2k server) I use it on my laptop and I got my dad to use it on his.

Trust me... open source is the way to go!

As Always!

• Site Administrator
Power blackout?

Only in Jersey.

I lost my last home computer due to a lightning strike near our home. I had a power surge protector on the line, but not on the internal modem connection. The motherboard was fried and the computer was so old that the insurance company replaced it instead. The only 'problem' was that an entry level computer at the time was a lot more powerful than what I had previously, so I got a free computer upgrade at the cost of being without the computer for a couple of weeks. They even installed my old hard disk as an extra for me, so I didn't lose anything.

But we have regular power blackouts here, so protecting the power supply is something I'm very conscious of.

I lost my last home computer due to a lightning strike near our home. I had a power surge protector on the line, but not on the internal modem connection. The motherboard was fried and the computer was so old that the insurance company replaced it instead. The only 'problem' was that an entry level computer at the time was a lot more powerful than what I had previously, so I got a free computer upgrade at the cost of being without the computer for a couple of weeks. They even installed my old hard disk as an extra for me, so I didn't lose anything.

But we have regular power blackouts here, so protecting the power supply is something I'm very conscious of.

If they weren't so expensive I would get an uninterruptable battery thingamajig. My old roommate has one that he got on sale during the last "Black Friday" sale. I'm also going to wait for some sort of super-duper sale to crop up so I can get one of those lol.

• Site Administrator
If they weren't so expensive I would get an uninterruptable battery thingamajig. My old roommate has one that he got on sale during the last "Black Friday" sale. I'm also going to wait for some sort of super-duper sale to crop up so I can get one of those lol.

From time to time, I seriously consider getting a generator. When the power goes off at our place, the ONLY thing we effectively have left is the BBQ. Even our water supply goes out because the pressure pump is electric....

I do a number of things to protect my customers. I have an electrician that I work with and when I start working at a job site.

• #1- install a dedicated circuit to network ops center
  • test all outlets are wired and grounded properly- old AND new.
  • Install special fast blow fuses on incoming power and telephone lines to protect the network from near direct hits.
  • replace long copper wires with fiber where possible.

There's lots more that I do for my customers- replacing copper wires for long runs with fiber can prevent induction through structural steel- now there a real bitch. You can do everthing right but if you copper goes by an I-beam that is moving 5 1/2 million volts, it'll still fry a few things.

Fiber is nonconductive but the equipment that uses it is expensive so you have to use all your tricks to protect that.

My best work: a 7 story building in which I have a 10 X 15 wiring closets for voice & data stacked on top from the basement to the top floor. Made it so easy to wire, it was ridiculous. We did the whole fiber bit in a day and tested it. On the top floor, the big wiring closet backs onto the computer room. The PBX, Network and servers are all on the top floor which is something of an electrical fortress. All the power is on dedicated circuits and backed up by always on generator power. All the equipment has dual power supplies that plug into always on generator power and UPS power so nothing flops that we don't want to flop.

If the customer will go for it, I like to install covered security racks. It costs more but prevents accidents and people trying to do what they should not try unless they know what they are doing. Again, this is controlled by who has keys. Here's a nice variety of them:>> Network Security Cabinets Common Options:>> Cabinet Options

The big wiring closets are just that: only IT staff has keys so mop buckets and janitors can't get in. Nor are they used for any storage or purpose other than networking. Some may feel that's wasting space but saves headaches down the road.

Oh- btw: I designed the grounding scheme for the buildings structural I-beams/lightning rods. They are painted with non-conductive paint and where exposed in some applications, covered by 1/4" plastic molding.

My design has become a standard for buildings built for our State.

If I ever have a big job like that, I know who to call. :P

For now, I think I'll watch out for UPS sales.

My computers each have only one connection to the outside world, the plug for the power strip/surge protector. All communications for my laptop, desktop, PlayStation 2, Xbox, and Xbox 360 are wireless. The game consoles are all hardwired to a wireless adapter.

No, I just like that phrase. :P

Yiddish is a wonderful language ! You can express a lot with just a few words. For those who want to know more, read "The Joys of Yiddish", by Leo Rosten (1968).

Old bob

B) ...........What's really scary!! A lot of people understood what Robbie was talking about! :wacko:

dont be sad. Even more people, like you and me, dont understand it and still can live without. :P:D:lol:

dont be sad. Even more people, like you and me, dont understand it and still can live without. :P:D:lol:

Sometimes it's a good skillset to have. I have a paper due tomorrow, and because of this fiasco I lost two whole weeks and couldn't start it until yesterday. Had I not been able to fix the drive I would have forever lost my presentation that had a lot of info for the paper, as well as half of my notes for the test tomorrow night, not to mention a folder that holds a lot of sentimental value to me.

I should note that this whole thing proved beneficial to me. I upgraded to a much larger hard drive and upgraded my memory as well, but I also used it as an excuse to download OpenOffice. I tried to get Office 2003 again, but it just wasn't happening, so I went to OpenOffice.org and downloaded their open source software. Now I'm thinking about finding an open source operating system to use permanently on this system... it's just going to be hard to find one that has drivers for all of my equipment and can install all of my games and other such programs.

Edited by rknapp