Message Board Topic 7/14

It's no secret, especially to anyone reading this, that gay people are everywhere. In every walk of life, doing everyday things, in average everyday ways. Right?

Well, what if there were stories wriiten, television shows made, movies produced, that ha everyday gay characters included in them...but the 'theme' of the story didn't have anything to do with being gay? Would it still work? Would you still read/watch/support? If Spiderman, or Neo from the Matrix, or Will Smith in "I Am Legend"...if those characters were homosexual..but it wasn't a story ABOUT homosexuality...

(For example...boy comes out of closet, or boy falls for straight guy, or any number of directly sexual themes)

...Would it still have the same impact? I mean, gay people can just be your average everyday police officers, or teachers, or bounty hunters, etc...right? Then again, if the story wasn't a directly 'gay themed' story...what's the point of making the main character gay?

Just something to think about, when it comes to the so-caled 'mainstream'. What do you think?

• Site Administrator

My view is that unless a character's sexuality is part of the story, it doesn't need to be stated. So, unless there is a reason to reveal a character is gay (or straight), why do it? It could be because it's part of the characters personality. It could be because they have to fend off an inappropriate love interest. But unless there's a reason to show a character's sexuality, is it that important?

I think the reason why those movies didn't feature major homosexuals characters is that Hollywood is too scared to change its perception because they don't want to lose profits that truly needed to pay off the cost and the salaries.

I may be wrong...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..