The Gay Smell?

I think this article is already in another thread in the Soapbox. Whatever, here's my response to it:

I'm glad to hear about evidence of a biological influence in sexual orientation. I'm especially interested in the roles of pheromones (I have weird hobbies). Anyway, what I found most interesting is that not only do we have a male preference, but a gay male preference. Not only is it how we react to the scents, but it's the scents we give offwhihc differ as well from heteros. I guess the divide is wider than I imagined.

• Site Administrator
More proof we did not make a choice we are the way we are.

Yup.

Or they will try to view it in the light of "How do we fix it?"

Like, if there were a gay-gene, attempting to eliminate it in fetuses or something f**ked up like that.

I'm with Iuvart. If some type of identifier is found, will some people want to use it to 'weed out the herd'? or 'I want grandkids, I can't have a gay son!'

Edited by naper_vic
Or they will try to view it in the light of "How do we fix it?"

Like, if there were a gay-gene, attempting to eliminate it in fetuses or something f**ked up like that.

I'm with Iuvart. If some type of identifier is found, will some people want to use it to 'weed out the herd'? or 'I want grandkids, I can't have a gay son!'

They were talkin about that on the Daily Show not to long ago... they even made the senator of Massachusets look like an a**hole if I remember... But then they had to ruin it by sayin about someone sticking up for gays....(narration) "You can remember that when the gays you saved, are f***ing your son"....yea.

Here's a short little article on the "Gay Gene" Debate:

http://www.newsaic.com/ftvccindex.html#gaygene

Sorry if you have to copy the link... :( ....the http link thing wont work right now...dont worry Myr, its my stupid computer

Interesting study and interesting source (Fox News . . . hmm). However, I want to point out that a physiological reaction does not necessarily mean it is genetic. Consider Pavlov's dogs. They heard a bell and had a physiological reaction (salivating). Is it in there genetic code? No, it was a conditioned response. Knowing these results, however interesting they may be, does not have any bearing on the origin of homosexuality. The variance in response between groups could be equally accounted for by conditioning, imprinting, or genetics.

Anyway, knowing that having dark skin or inner eye folds is genetic never stopped Racists. Why would homophobes be any different? It changes the debate slightly, but does not change the hatred.

As much as I'd like a difinitive answer on why I fancy who I fancy, I fear that finding it could harm the homosexual community as much as it helps. People aren't going to change prejudices because of reasons or reasoning. They will only bend what facts they can to support their pre-existing ideas and ignore anything they can't use. Personal interaction in everyday life is the best way to de-monsterize and demystify homosexualty in my opinion, but that also takes a lot of bravery. Arguing with facts rarely brings changes. Just watch Christian leaders debate, they use the same source of authority (Bible) and yet never agree. It's just a rehashing of prejudices with a rare rearrangement of them.

If they do prove the source is genetic, then you can bet Eugenics will come back into style. And if you think that's impossible because of the bad rap it got from being associated with the Nazis, think again. I mean, Bush has brought Fascism back into style, hasn't he?

Regardless of the root cause of homosexuality, I think it's pretty clear that it's not a conscious choice. What sane individual immersed in American culture would ever choose to be homosexual? Generally people tend to choose a path of least resistance. In case anyone hadn't noticed it, this ain't easy.

Edited by Bocian

It isn't really surprising that the brains of gay men get "sexually stimulated" when the 'scent of a man' is detected.

What I thought was really interesting is a claim made near the end of the article that brain activity differed when the subjects were presented with odors from a gay male vs. odors from a straight male.

Maybe "gaydar" could be partially driven by the brain's differentation of body odors. Maybe someone could invent a artificial gaydar based on odor ( :) or :( -- depending how you look at it)

Maybe "gaydar" could be partially driven by the brain's differentation of body odors.  Maybe someone could invent a artificial gaydar based on odor ( :) or :(   -- depending how you look at it)

I'd love to HAVE one anyway heheh.

It's less nice to be detected like that, of course.

Nevertheless, if this is true, then can one conclude

that the friend that you are secretly in love with

SMELLs nice, then he is gay? Or, that if some man

is popular with the ladies, then he is not gay?

I have my doubts about this 'research'.

Aleric