Hockey....everything to do with the coolest game on earth

wildone

There were less teams in those days, Jack. All of the teams won the cup every few years. Silly to compare then to now. Actually, there are too many teams in the NHL now - stupid Gary Bettman - and it's had the effect of diluting the talent pool and ruining rivalries. What we need is some contraction, back down to, say, 24 teams maximum.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Administrator

The stupid thing about it is that he will not allow a team in Hamilton unless it is through expansion, not through relocation.

When Bettman took over the NHL, he was on a single mission, to increase TV revenues from the games. He really hasn't detoured from that objective which means that he will not let a team leave the Southern US.

In a way, I would hope that Jim Balsille does get the numbers of votes he needs to relocate Phoenix. If he does, then it would be a vote of non confidence for Bettman and he would probably resign his position.

I believe Gary did a lot for the league over his years but like John Ziegler, it is time to go.

BTW, in case anyone wants to pat Cynical on the back, pop over here

• Site Administrator

Nope :P

The antichrist (someone referred to him as that) has been banished.....yet again :D .

Hopefully his evil minion will be next to go :2thumbs:

I'm in such a good mood, here is a hockey related joke:

My Dad Is Gay

Little David was in his 5th grade class when the

teacher asked the children what their fathers did for a

living. All the typical answers came up -- fireman,

policeman, salesman, etc.

David was being uncharacteristically quiet and so the

teacher asked him about his father.

'My father's an exotic dancer in a gay bar and

takes off all his clothes in front of other men. Sometimes,

if the offer is really good, he'll go out to the alley

with some guy and make love with him for money.'

The teacher, obviously shaken by this statement,

hurriedly set the other children to work on some colouring,

and took little David aside to ask him, 'Is that really

true about your father?'

'No,' said David, 'He plays for the Tornto

Maple Leafs but I was too embarrassed to say that in front

of the other kids

The antichrist (someone referred to him as that) has been banished.....yet again :D .

My Dad Is Gay

true about your father?'

of the other kids

B) ........... :lol::lol::lol: .......You hockey fans are quite rabid aren't you???

My Dad Is Gay

true about your father?'

of the other kids

Haha, good joke!

So who else enjoyed watching the Blackhawks throw a hissy fit? They should let their balls drop before they play Detroit again.

Ugh, I have to say, the Wings just bore me to tears. Yeah yeah yeah, I know, talent and all that. But srsly, a full season and we're right back to Detroit-Pittsburgh again? Snooooooze. I would've liked to see the Blackhawks step it up if only because at least they're a young team making things happen. Too bad they seem to have imploded.

And as for Pittsburgh, I don't hate Crosby. Far from it. I give him mad props for his talent, and I think he's great for the sport. Pittsburgh would not have been my choice to advance this far, but there's no doubt they're exciting to watch. The first six games of the Pens/Caps series was some of the most exciting hockey I got to watch all year.

LOL@Steve for the Leafs joke. Good one. :)

• Site Administrator

I wouldn't necessarily write off the 'Hawks just yet. I'm guessing this might go on for a couple of more games. Chicago is po'd now, and who knows what they may accomplish in the next few games.

So in other news, Edmonton signed Pat Quinn yesterday. I personally don't like the man and that is because of a personal interaction I had with him a several years back. He is an egotistical jerk and a bully in my opinion. Remember, this isn't a casual comment, it is from his actions in a situation with myself :angry: . Anyways, I guess it just gives me more reason to hate Edmonton that much more :P .

Meanwhile two and half hours south, Sutter made a clearing of the coaches in Calgary. His comments for a replacement were that their are 3 coaches that he thinks could coach the team, and all 3 are under contract, so if he is number 4 in his opinion, then he may be behind the bench next year.

Another comment he made was when he was defending the Antichrist (Mike Keenan). He said that the team was a difficult group to coach and needed a special person who could control them. I wonder where that came from? Not too often you have a GM making a blanket comment about his team negatively, in order to defend the former coach.

But then again, I guess we don't know what goes on in the dressing room and on the practice ice times either.

Well, join me in a chant...Go Hawks Go!!!

Well, join me in a chant...Go Hawks Go!!!

I am a Hawks fan (see previous posts) and I hope they pull it out. They won't though. Not since 1942 has this deficit been overcome. I don't see it.

And what sucks, is if the Hawks don't get divine intervention, I'll have to be a Red Wings fan because no team with Cros*WHINE*by is getting my support.

So there.

Sad? Go Penguins!

Well, honestly I expected Detroit to lose, I just expected the Penguins to win by outplaying us. The refs decided this game, I hope G4 is more fair. Win or lose.

I am referring to the holding and interference calls on Detroit, I saw worse from both sides that refs let slide in G1, 2 and G3. Also the 6 men on the ice, come on, that was stupid. Cheat to win?

• Site Administrator

Ah, how sweet it is :P .

It looks like we have a hockey series going on here :2thumbs: .

I guess I'm really cheering for the Pens cause they are the underdogs.

The short handed goal to tie the game tonight gave the Penguins the emotional lift they needed to make this into a seven game series.

Even if your a Red Wings fan (or just hate the Penguins or certain players :P ), you have to admit that this is getting exciting.

• Site Administrator

ACK!!! I had to dig this forum off of page 3 of the lounge.

Does this mean that nobody really cares what is going to happen on Friday night??? :P

Actually I kind of liked watching the finals this year, just when you think Detroit has severed the jugular of Pittsburgh, they come back. Now with a game seven, it will be really interesting what will happen. Will the Pens finally get a win in Detroit? Or will the Stanley cup be destined to be placed upside down once again like mentioned in the first post of the forum.

Not to be biased or anything, but Go Pens Go!!! :lol:

Okay, okay. Pittsburg has been playing a really good game at home. However, get them out of (is it Melon Arena?) and they just can't keep up with Detroit. I think that with Detroits improved (though still inadequate) performance on the road Tuesday they are seeting up for a fantastic game 7. I don't see a blowout like game 5, but I see Detroit dominating play for at least 20 minutes. I'm looking at a 4-2 win for Detroit with no empty-net goal. As long as Detroit can stay out of the peanalty box, and refs have been more fair since game 4.

/me is late for a meeting

ACK!!! I had to dig this forum off of page 3 of the lounge.

Does this mean that nobody really cares what is going to happen on Friday night??? :P

Actually no it doesn't,, I do follow the results,,, but I haven't any game since the habs lost in 4 :( ,,, lol oh well, the entrance mat says all about which team I want to win,,, go wings go,,, they'll always be my second fav team.. and it's great to see a team that year after year can be in the top teams of the league!

I predict a win for detroit,, they have everything going for them,,

• Site Administrator

Congrats to the Penguins :worship:

I just got off work, so didn't see the game or hear about it :( .

It's nice to see that the underdog won, and that the favourite lost....at home.

Wonder how much Vegas was paying on a Pittsburgh win?

• Site Administrator

I watched the game. First time ever for me watchign pro hockey. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

And I got to see the comercial for the new Merlin show.

Congrats to Pittsburgh! I know my friends are very happy.

Myr