Book of Heroes: George of Sedona I

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Moderator
The Dark Elf's gone. The threat is not. What will happen next? When will George and David have to face the evil creature? I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

I have to agree with that assessment. I'm glad that everyone does bath so often. Could you imagine being around someone who hasn't bathed for several days? If George and didn't bath, the Dark Elf wouldn't have needed his compass to follow them. All he would have needed was his nose. I would also have to say, that at this point, they might be a little stiff after a long day's ride.

Chapter 10, "Enemies and Friends" of Book of Heroes: George of Sedona has been posted. George and David have entered the Human country of Arcadia, where they find their past association with Elves isn't appreciated by everyone. They encounter thieves and Thieves, and George finds a new friend.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

I agree, 'stammtisch' is a good translation of the Old Elvish expression. It's easy to grasp ;-)

Another good chapter that subtly conveys the message of Good and Evil, and Light and Darkness.

Hey, you asked for more German (in another story)! One of the finest moments during my visits to Germany was when I was invited to sit at the stammtisch in a fine restaurant in Munich. Using that word in a story is as much to honor my hosts as anything.

Chapter 11, "The Smith of Bowling Green," of Book of Heroes: George of Sedona has been published. Using the magic of the smith's craft, the Great Magic, and the boy magic that David and George share, a sword is forged of mithral and skystone...and bonds of friendship are forged, as well. Please leave your comments here. Thank you!

• Site Moderator

We get a little deeper look into the magic that is used in this 'world'. It finally looks like someone else has figured out George's secret.

Gary sounded typical for some people with a physical deformity and the way he was treated because of it. It didnt' sound like he was abused because of it, just shunned from certain activities. George at least could see his inner beauty.

Gary sounded typical for some people with a physical deformity and the way he was treated because of it. It didnt' sound like he was abused because of it, just shunned from certain activities. George at least could see his inner beauty.

We're going to see more about how the boys of Gary's cohort treated him, and, I think, that will play an important role in his future. Thanks for reading and for your thoughts.

• Site Moderator

Well, it seems we now have another character to keep track of.

I can see Gary's point about not wanting to stay around. I'd of thought that the boys of the cohort would have been pleased to see the new Gary. It wouldn't surprise me to see some of the boys come around and try to make it up to him. Mainly because he has a sword before them. Plus throw in George and David for good measure.

It will be interesting to see if what happens before they are ready, or are forced to leave. It's been a few chapters now since that dark figure following George and David has done anything.

Well, it seems we now have another character to keep track of.

I can see Gary's point about not wanting to stay around. I'd of thought that the boys of the cohort would have been pleased to see the new Gary. It wouldn't surprise me to see some of the boys come around and try to make it up to him. Mainly because he has a sword before them. Plus throw in George and David for good measure.

It will be interesting to see if what happens before they are ready, or are forced to leave. It's been a few chapters now since that dark figure following George and David has done anything.

I was surprised, too, that the enmity between Gary and his cohort was so strong. Sexual jealousy seems not to exist on World; perhaps other aspect of jealousy are stronger, and keep the other boys from celebrating with/for Gary. Some deep thoughts, there. Thank you.

I'm glad Gary got healed. I was surprised to read that Gary will travel with them. I'm curious to know where you will go with the story.

Curious? You and me, both! :D

Chapter 13, "The Constable of Bowling Green," of Book of Heroes: George of Sedona has been posted. In it, George, David, and Gary explore magic and one other, and make new friends One of their new friends may be an old friend to some readers: James, son of the Constable of Bowling Green, is the lead character in Knight Templar in Training, which is also posted at eFiction. This current chapter takes place a few years before the beginning of "Knight Templar." Please join this discussion forum; I would like to hear your thoughts on characters, concepts, and the story, itself. Thank you!

Edited by David McLeod
  • Site Moderator

Good chapter, David.

It was good to see that George and David had some time to 'relax' and get some things done. It's sad to see that the boys of the town couldn't become friendlier to Gary, but such is the way of life sometimes. And now the guys are on the run again.

I like this chapter, I'm excited things are picking up again! Reading James squirming was cute, he's a bit too serious in "Knight Templar" and "Secret Service".

James is a little ... how do I say this, politely ... full of himself? Uptight? That's probably unkind. He's really serious about his vocation, and sometimes takes himself too seriously. (Did you catch his little brother's comment that while James would say "ca-ca" he wouldn't say "the other word that can't be posted, here, even with asterisks or ellipses"?) He's a good guy, though, and I think his association with Patrick (older, wiser) will be good for them both. Thanks for posting!

Edited by David McLeod

Chapter 14, "Road to Arcadia," and Chapter 15, "The Boy without Eyes," have been posted to

Book of Heroes: George of Sedona in eFiction. In the short Chapter 14, George, Gary, and David explore their new relationship as well as a bit of World and its science and magic. In Chapter 15, they discover a danger to themselves and to the town of Albion. For the first time, Gary makes a friend outside of the narrow circle of his life in Bowling Green. Please leave comments and questions here. Thank you!

• Site Moderator

It would seem that Theo has the ability to see things that others may not. I think it also allows him to see things while stroking his Lute, much like that of a bat. It'll be interesting to see what they find when they get to the lake.

It would seem that Theo has the ability to see things that others may not. I think it also allows him to see things while stroking his Lute, much like that of a bat. It'll be interesting to see what they find when they get to the lake.

In Chapter 16, "Kingdom of the Dwarves," (at this link Book of Heroes: George of Sedona) we see more of Theo's talent. And, our friends, George, David, and Gary find much more than any of them could have expected. (Dwarves? Well, yeah. But more than that.) Thank you for posting.

• Site Moderator

When it came to Theo's eyes, I had already concluded that David might not be able to do anything for him.

It's interesting to see that the Dwarves trust George enough to allow him to see their magic and not the others. Could this mean that they can see that he is a mage while no one else has picked up on it? Only time, and David, will tell us.

That was an interesting tale from The Book of Heroes that was read to us. It was a nice set up for the end result of the wrestling match between George and Peter. It put him in that proverbial, rock and a hard place with the Prince. I think in the end, it taught the Prince some humility.

I only finished chapter three last night and am looking forward to continuing my reading today. David, you've captured my imagination. One thing I've quickly learned though, is not to read through the posts on here... lol, as I don't want the surprises in the story to be revealed before I get to them.

You are either a very fast writer or you had a good bit of the story completed before you started posting. I'd swear it was only a month or so ago that you mentioned in our emails that you were posting this story. And here the first section is completed already!!! You are actually a cyborg and don't sleep, right? You spend the eight hours most people normally sleep doing your writing? I'm jealous.

I've found your characters completely believable. Not an easy thing to pull off in a fantasy story full of elves and magicians. And I've not been put off by your expository, explaining the world you've created. On the contrary, it fuels my imagination that much more and enables me to picture this strange world. What I find fascinating is the time you've taken to develop a language and such rich detail. Thank you for this story, David. You've certainly pulled off some 'boy magic'... lmao.

That was an interesting tale from The Book of Heroes that was read to us. It was a nice set up for the end result of the wrestling match between George and Peter. It put him in that proverbial, rock and a hard place with the Prince. I think in the end, it taught the Prince some humility.

Was it serendipity that your comment was very bad pun? The story of George and the Prince was, I think, based on a very old cliche...defeating but not disgracing one's enemy, thereby making him one's friend. Even though George lost the match, he won the moral battle. He was fortunate that the Prince was big enough to understand that.

You are either a very fast writer or you had a good bit of the story completed before you started posting. I'd swear it was only a month or so ago that you mentioned in our emails that you were posting this story. And here the first section is completed already!!! You are actually a cyborg and don't sleep, right? You spend the eight hours most people normally sleep doing your writing? I'm jealous.

Paul, Thank you for all your kind words. They are especially appreciated coming from the guy who created the incredible fantasy of "Minky's World."

I once asked Dolores Estaban how she could write so much, so well, and so fast. Her reply was, essentially, that when she loved a story, she was graced with the Muse's presence. I love this story, and its so very suited to my style (vignettes loosely linked). No, I do sleep, pretty well, too, but it's still a struggle to meet the self-imposed deadlines.

Thanks for posting!

I once asked Dolores Estaban how she could write so much, so well, and so fast. Her reply was, essentially, that when she loved a story, she was graced with the Muse's presence. I love this story, and its so very suited to my style (vignettes loosely linked). No, I do sleep, pretty well, too, but it's still a struggle to meet the self-imposed deadlines.

Well, that's true. But you write much faster than I do. I'm not able to write THAT fast. Your story shows that you love creating World. And, your readers love World, too! I do.

Edited by Dolores Esteban

In Chapter 17, "A Bug in Amber," of The Book of Heroes: George of Sedona, George, David, and Gary have left the Kingdom of the Dwarves, and the friends they made there, to face new danger...and meet new friends. David learns a little more about the force of "destiny" that is driving him and the boys to uncertain destinations and dangers, and the boys learn a little more about David's upbringing in an evengelical, fundamentalist orphanage. Please leave comments or questions here. Thank you!