Care about where your holiday dollars go?

rknapp

I just got an e-mail from HRC about their 2009 LGBT buyers guide.

http://www.hrc.org/buyersguide2009/hrc_buyersguide_09.pdf

I glanced through it and noticed that the vast majority of places I shop and products I buy are in the green, and some of them are even corporate partners with HRC. There are a few things in the red for me. I do all my DIY maintenance stuff at AutoZone, which is in the red at 25 points. I also have Duralast parts on my car, which is a subsidiary of AutoZone and is also red. Needless to say, once those parts wear out I'm going elsewhere, and I'm buying from other parts stores (there is a NAPA in town, and an Advance Auto Parts 30 minutes away... well worth the drive). I'll miss the cute guy who is now a manager there who helped me order the right sports air filter for my car, but until AutoZone scores better, forget about it.

What was also distressing is my employer, Kohl's, is in the red with a question mark as their score (meaning they have not responded despite repeated attempts by HRC). I can't imagine them having a bad score though. There are a couple of LGBT workers at my store in particular and one of them was an assistant manager who was openly gay. I don't know where he is now but a lot of people loved him while he was there. The only reason I have not come out there is because the rumor mill is strong and lively there, and I don't want to be a victim of it anymore than I already was (a lot of people thought I was dating a girl who used to work there is my best friend who I came out to recently).