[David McLeod] Master of Fire

How would I feel if I suddenly found myself in a medieval world? I'd be scared to death, I guess. Good the 'chosen ones' always meet good people and make friends very soon. That's what I like about World. It's not only a fantasy story. It's a social utopia, in a sense. Goodness, kindness, love, courage and strength, so many noble virtues we often can't find on Earth. World is a fantasy, a dream. But dreams can come true, sometimes. We just have to use a bit of 'magic', perhaps.

Dolores, you've hit on one of the deepest mysteries of World: why does it seem utopic? I think there may be clues in Daniel Quinn's "Ishmael" books, as well as in evolutionary survival strategies among the "dumb" animals of our own world. On a more pragmatic level, World is sharply divided by geography and political boundaries into places where Good rules (that is, the rulers and populace are largely people who believe in goodness, kindness, love, courage and strength) and places where Evil rules (that is, the rulers are people who lack regard and respect for others, who are greedy for material possessions and power, who would deny life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness and other rights to others because of differences or perceived differences). So far, we've not seen much Evil, except glimpses of the adversaries of the current batch of heroes. On the other hand, at least three stories that take place in Eblis, the "evil" country south of Arcadia, are in preparation for publication in late spring or early summer. Thank you for your perceptive comments.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they do catch up to George their in for a bit of a re-union

Like George has grown up since they last met, of course it depends on how much the boys grow up before meeting george

Like[ly] George has grown up since they last met, of course it depends on how much the boys grow up before meeting [G]eorge.

HH5, It appears that they're all going to grow up quite a bit, at least in terms of their talents.

The next chapter of "Master of Fire" will be delayed for one week, but I promise to post on Sunday, March 15th. Please be patient!

Edited by David McLeod

In the relative safety of the farm, Marty and Chandler begin to explore the differences between their Earth and World--a place of magic and war. The more they learn, the more frightening their situation becomes. They still do not know where they are, nor do they have any idea about how to get home.

Chapter 5, "Imagine, Magic" of the story Master of Fire has been posted. Please leave your comments and ideas here. Thank you.

Chapter 6, "College of Magic," will be posted on March 29th.

• Site Moderator

Interesting chapter. As you said, the boys are learning more about where they are and who they are becoming. Both boys are learning a bit more about magic.

I am a bit surprised that they hadn't noticed the magnifying glass had changes sooner, but since Chandler knew how it changed the focus of light thru it and it was the funnel effect of the moonlight that helped them discover this.

We know that Marty is a healer, but what they didn't know was that he could use that magic to kill. So when they were attacked, Marty's magic went into defensive mode and sucked the life force right out of the attacker.

Definitely like where things are going with this story. It almost seems like Chandler and Marty are meant for one another, especially as they just recently finally shared with the two farm boys. It's interesting noting that chandler seems to have a brilliant strategical mind and grasps the concepts of things going on that are involved with war. It almost seems like he is a paladin of some sort.

Now the question is, when will they head to war, who will their companions be, and how far will they have to travel before true trouble arises.

Jon

...the boys are learning more about where they are and who they are becoming...We know that Marty is a healer, but what they didn't know was that he could use that magic to kill.

That we learn more about who we are, and that we come to accept that, is one of the most important things we can do. I'd not noticed, until you pointed it out, that this is what is going on with Marty and Chandler. Thank you.

And, yes, although it's misinterpreted later, healing and killing are opposite sides of the same coin (if I may coin an expression). (Did I really say that? :wacko: )

...It almost seems like Chandler and Marty are meant for one another...

Jon

Um, have you hacked my computer? Are you reading ahead? Just kidding. But Marty and Chandler to seem to complement each other.

Thanks to all for reading, and for your comments.

I definitely like your stories. I love the detailed descriptions of World. I'm really glad you post your stories here.

I hope Chandler and Marty won't be harmed. They have not yet settled in.

What Chandler told Marty about his father really touched me and made me feel sad.

What Chandler told Marty about his father really touched me and made me feel sad.

I'm both sorry and happy that you felt sad: sorry, because I do not want anyone to be sad; happy because you understood the message in that line. My guess is that a lot of us would like to have been able to say that to someone close to us, someone we could trust.

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful words.

I, too, was surprised that Marty would instinctively grasp enough of his innate magic to kill with a touch. I was surprised at the speed of it, however, and that his own personal reaction was not more severe, physically, i.e.: puking...or the like, but Chandler/Rocky calmed him down fairly quickly, too. Perhaps they need to get in touch with someone who can help them learn to deal with their new existence, in terms of being able to wield such great magick's without studying endlessly first?

• Site Moderator

Since Marty didn't know he had that skill, something reacted instinctively and it went full force. Call it self preservation. Chandler, on the other hand, has realized there needs to be control. He talked about that later after the fire they were trying to start a campfire and it literally exploded. Then the second time, he reduced his focus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Moderator

It would appear that Marty and Chandler have found a home for awhile. This is most likely something that they need to do, learn to control their magic and find out what they can do with it.

It would appear that Marty and Chandler have found a home for awhile. This is most likely something that they need to do, learn to control their magic and find out what they can do with it.

Which brings up a key question: how do a couple of teenagers manage to control their magic when it seems to be so closely tied to their hormones? Somethng I'd not considered before. Hmm. :P

Marty and Chandler learn more about the customs and magic of World, and make new friends in the latest chapter of Master of Fire which has been posted to eFiction. Please leave comments and questions here.

The next chapter, "Student Mages," will be posted in two weeks, on April 19th. I'm sorry for the delay; please be patient.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the lighter and less gloomier story

some of us - just have too much darkeness and gloom in their lives

HH5, and all: I'm happy to know that you're enjoying the story and hope it continues to please you. It seems that there cannot be good without evil, happiness without sadness, love without hate. Dualism seems an uneradicable part of human nature.

Chapter 8, "Student Mages," features will-'o-the-wisps, unicorns, lasers, heaven, hell, reincarnation, and oaths of apprenticeship. Marty and Chandler make more friends, have a little fun, and learn a lot about themselves and World. Part of that new knowledge is, however, that evil that exists outside the relative safety of the city of Barrone and its College of Magic.

You'll find the new chapter in this story at this link, Master of Fire, or under the eFiction tab.

You know when I wrote on another forum about what provided, for me, the "bones, muscle and viscera" in a story...? Well, I felt more bones, muscle and viscera in this most recent chapter of Master of Fire. The gristle derives from the difficulties with which the protagonists struggle due to the dislocation they've experienced. Those struggles: the loss of language, cultural fluency, and physical and conceptual tools... They're huge! The guys have experienced a gigantic loss aside from all that they've gained in their new World. Addressing that loss helps ground the story in human nature. Grounding the story in human nature helps me sympathize with Chandler and Marty. Sympathizing with Chandler and Marty helps me invest in their struggles as you develop their story.

Hats off! :thumbup:

...The guys have experienced a gigantic loss aside from all that they've gained in their new World. Addressing that loss helps ground the story in human nature. Grounding the story in human nature helps me sympathize with Chandler and Marty. Sympathizing with Chandler and Marty helps me invest in their struggles as you develop their story.

Wow! Thank you. If you keep this up, you may make me think I'm writing literature instead of fantasy. That could be a bad thing if it affected my ego. :P On the other hand, the details in your post have given me a great deal to think about. As your earlier discussion of agriculture did, I think these thoughts will make the story better. I hope the story continues to meet your expectations. Which, apparently, are higher than I'd thought.

So they where in the college of magic and now their in the army

Its like when are they going to bump into george n David?

btw david - do you have a george in your life :D ?

Chandler learns more about his magic; Marty learns more about why he was brought to World; and the conflicts between them--real and imagined--are resolved. The final chapter of Master of Fire has been posted; however, the story will not conclude until the final chapter of Book of Heroes: George of Sedona, which will be posted on Friday, May 8th.

Please leave a review, send a PM, send an email to boh.translators@gmail.com, or post a comment to this discussion forum. Thank you to all those who have read this story!

David,

Thank you. That was a very satisfying conclusion to Master of Fire. For a romantic such as myself, the bond between Chandler and Marty is heartwarming.

I'm bummed that "George of Sedona" will conclude May 8th, only because I'm going out of town May 7th and will be incommunicado until the beginning of June. I'll have to patient! :/

David, I also am enjoying reading the series, soon to end unless you begin another parallel...but you've almost exhausted any further plot lines...