[David McLeod] Master of Fire

The first chapter of a new story from "The Book of Heroes" has been posted. This story, Master of Fire, like two others, begins on Earth (or, an Earth-analogue). It begins about three months after the first chapter of George of Sedona, and it is useful, but not essential, to have read that chapter before beginning this story. In this new story, two boys with nothing in common join forces to search for a missing classmate. Their search leads them to a world governed by both magic and logic, and where they discover that the only thing they have in common is the most important thing of all.

Please leave your comments and questions here. Thank you, and enjoy!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rocky from the band of boys becomes real.

Marty sounds like one of Georges friends.

The two names remind me of (Rocky and Bullwinkle) and (Marty from Back to the Future)

I bet they never realize its a one way trip!! The coach is going to be piss when Marty turns up missing.

I wonder if the boys will talk about what happen since Georges departure but some where there is a bit an argument and disagreement and a bit of a ruff housing thats long overdue just to get them over the I hate you from where you're from.

Well between the two they will survive. Hey - I hope that motorcycle changes into a horse!! There ain't a gas station for miles.

Both misfits and Gay ... still it be interesting to run in to a straight fella.

Imagine Rocky being str8 and getting all the come-on to share boymagic.

Now I am not sure if the fantasy world has BI and Lesbians(girl magic)?

If they allow BI imagine getting BoyMagic and GirlMagic?

Rocky chain and knife will come in handy. If he's got a gun that might not make it either. Hope that gets converted to a bow and arrow.

Good question will they be boys or tweens or one a boy and the other a tween.

Still no answer on any boys returning back to earth.

Otherwise we have a one sided - Peter Pan Story.

• Site Moderator

I don't take the sharing of 'boy magic' to mean that every male in World is gay. It's just something they do as a normal, everyday activity. Eventually, most do seem to take a wife and raise children. Others stay with a companion.

I had the feeling when reading BoH:GoSI when it was mentioned that a figure observed them disappearing, we probably hadn't seen the last of him.

As to the sexuality of Marty and Rocky, my money's on Rocky, he's the more likely to be gay. Not that it should be the highlight of the story.

Thanks to both hh5 and TalonRider for your posts. There's a lot to think about in both of them. Let's see:

1. Based on what we know, so far, every male engages in homosexual activity from age 20 until...

2. Some percentage of males become bi-sexual or heterosexual when they become adults...otherwise, no future generations. Although most boys (18-y-o-plus) and tweens are active with multiple partners, it's usually within a cohort or group of friends. Almost all will eventually "settle down" with a partner (Best Friend, e.g.). Since the Human lifespan is c. 500 years, this may take some time. (The bad news: many boys don't live to adulthood.)

3. The sexuality of Marty and Rocky will be a part of the story but, I hope, not the most important part.

4. I've posted this somewhere, but so far, the Book of Heroes is silent on the subject of Girl Magic, except to note that it does exist. Perhaps someday we'll learn more.

Some of hh5's questions will be answered in the next chapter, due on Sunday.

Thanks for posting!

David

So far, so good! I'm enjoying the start-off to another good adventure--I hope they manage to catch up to George, if they're in the right time of course... It'll be interesting to see what magical skills they'll each develop...

David, it might--at this point--be helpful to list the timeline of the chronology of the entire set of series' for your alter-verse storylines.

So far, so good! I'm enjoying the start-off to another good adventure--I hope they manage to catch up to George, if they're in the right time of course... It'll be interesting to see what magical skills they'll each develop...

David, it might--at this point--be helpful to list the timeline of the chronology of the entire set of series' for your alter-verse storylines.

Thank you for your post, and kind words. While George (he of Sedona) had David as a teacher, these two are going to have to learn a lot on their own, at least for a while. That, I hope, will be some of the charm of the story. Timeline...hmm...a good idea, at least where it doesn't spoil things. I'll work on that.

The issue I have in the old TV series writings is that the character's are conforming to a something predictable or to a temperament.

For chap 1 to 2

a] The trust for sex could be stretch to the third chapter.

b] The trust for survival comes out of getting over presumptions of identity.

Trust takes time out of two characters from different walks of life.

Ex: A Bad guy gun slinger and law man

Ex: A cat and a Dog

Ex: A Scorpion and Turtle

It takes time to work out each other hostilities from each other before trust comes in.

Its unknown of how much torment Marty had. But that would be a function of how much it will take for him to trust Rocky.

Another thing is how deep in the closet each other is would also be function before admitting orientation.

To stretch the above for an extra chapter or two or even three would take that the characters had to run away from a danger like an animal, creature, or a middle of a conflict or getting captured. Or it could bring them together quicker than they wanted but then several spats would occur before realization of trust or myth of belief is settled.

But since the temperament you're introducing is a twainish style then that evokes boys getting into combination of trouble and boyish adventure. Very much different than the styles already written so far. Lots of expectation of boy fun. But also elements of learning right from - wrong. Friends from foe. hehe 500 to 70o years worth.

• Site Moderator

Marty's trust, or distrust, of Rocky will depend on a couple of things.

1. If he was harassed by Rocky and/or his friends, he may not trust too quickly.

2. If he wasn't harassed by Rocky and/or his friends, but saw it first hand done to others, he may not trust too quickly.

In either case, how quickly Marty come to trust Rocky will depend on his current actions.

I do believe Chandler (Rocky) is already trying to correct past wrongs with Marty. If you notice, he's already trying to get rid if the nickname used.

Its unknown of how much torment Marty had. But that would be a function of how much it will take for him to trust Rocky.

Marty's trust, or distrust, of Rocky will depend on a couple of things.

... how quickly Marty come to trust Rocky will depend on his current actions.

I do believe Chandler (Rocky) is already trying to correct past wrongs with Marty. If you notice, he's already trying to get rid if the nickname used.

There is an unpublished prologue to this story that suggests that Marty was out and comfortably out. It's apparent that Rocky's crowd were extremely unpleasant, but probably not dangerous, homophobes. I think Rocky (now Chandler) is the stronger of the two...even though he was "so far in the closet he was in Narnia" for so long...he was pretty quick to open himself up to Marty when it was important to do so, and when it made a difference. I don't think for a minute he came out to Marty in order to seduce him; rather, that he did so to comfort Marty by creating a tie that would help them face their situation, together.

I think Rocky (now Chandler) is the stronger of the two...even though he was "so far in the closet he was in Narnia" for so long...he was pretty quick to open himself up to Marty when it was important to do so, and when it made a difference.

I giggled at that Narnia thing. Again.

Anyway, aside of bridging the gap between them, I think that knowing they were in another world would also make Rocky more comfortable to come out to Marty, as none of his former gang are there to ridicule him.

I giggled at that Narnia thing. Again.

Anyway, aside of bridging the gap between them, I think that knowing they were in another world would also make Rocky more comfortable to come out to Marty, as none of his former gang are there to ridicule him.

Verm, I thought you were the first person to use the "Narnia" allusion to the "wardrobe" in "The Lion, the Witch, and the..." No? I've been giving you credit for it. And, who says a gate won't suck Rocky's gang in to follow him. (Why didn't I think of that?)

Verm, I thought you were the first person to use the "Narnia" allusion to the "wardrobe" in "The Lion, the Witch, and the..." No? I've been giving you credit for it. And, who says a gate won't suck Rocky's gang in to follow him. (Why didn't I think of that?)

Oh yeah, that was me wasn't it? hehe!

Marty and Rocky (now Chandler) learn some disturbing things about the World in which they find themselves, and about the still-unknown force that brought them there. Chapter 4 of Master of Fire has been posted to eFiction. Please let me know what you think about the story, the characters, the World, and the concept. Thank you!

Edited by David McLeod
There is an unpublished prologue to this story that suggests that Marty was out and comfortably out. It's apparent that Rocky's crowd were extremely unpleasant, but probably not dangerous, homophobes. I think Rocky (now Chandler) is the stronger of the two...even though he was "so far in the closet he was in Narnia" for so long...he was pretty quick to open himself up to Marty when it was important to do so, and when it made a difference. I don't think for a minute he came out to Marty in order to seduce him; rather, that he did so to comfort Marty by creating a tie that would help them face their situation, together.

Having seen this prologue of events, I am willing to say that Marty is indeed comfortable with himself and his sexuality. Rocky (now Chandler) was not the leader of a group that tormented so many people, but a follower. Now he must lead and be led in return, as true partners, though Marty may not be his partner. (I can't say, as I've not seen anything to disclose the nature of their relationship). Instead he is stuck in a situation where he has to try and offer some guidance and care, and be himself for once (Chandler/Rocky, I mean)

Hope that helps,

Jon

Rocky (now Chandler) ... must lead and be led in return, as true partners...he is stuck in a situation where he has to try and offer some guidance and care, and be himself for once...

Jon

Once again, you see deeply. The reciprocal nature of Marty and Chandler's partnership, for however long it lasts, must be the sine qua non of that relationship. They are quite different; perhaps that is where they will find their strength. Chandler does seem at times overwhelmed with the freedom he has on World, but I think he'll get to like it. Thanks for your thoughts.

I wonder if the gate connects with related people that maybe they might find george or maybe not.

No guarantees that they will be in the same time zone or region of land??

I am bit confused when men are mentioned? What their age?

Wow there are women on this world? I presume there are little girls and girl magic?

I wonder if the gate connects with related people that maybe they might find george or maybe not.

No guarantees that they will be in the same time zone or region of land??

I am bit confused when men are mentioned? What their age?

Wow there are women on this world? I presume there are little girls and girl magic?

David mentioned the lifestages of child/boy/tween/man in the stories....just not in this one, yet...

I'm enjoying this at least as much as ITPSS and GoS...now that Chandler and Marty have been hit with the fact that they'll be living at least another 100 years, the next chapter should reallly take off with some disclosures (i.e.: Not of this world, no magic at home, etc.), and set ups for some real journeys to begin...

Edited by kjames
  • Site Moderator

I believe girl magic was mentioned in one of the other stories but I don't remember which one.

Marty and Chandler are brought to our attention for a brief period in Chapter 6 of The Paladin when The Book of Heroes is mentioned again.

I believe girl magic was mentioned in one of the other stories but I don't remember which one.

Marty and Chandler are brought to our attention for a brief period in Chapter 6 of The Paladin when The Book of Heroes is mentioned again.

Ok, so they won't be going home ... much that Jon and Tyler finds out.

Those so far mentioned that come to this fantasy world - really don't have a need to go home.

So does the gate send back the straight ones? :P

or its not an equal opportunity gate world?

How would I feel if I suddenly found myself in a medieval world? I'd be scared to death, I guess. Good the 'chosen ones' always meet good people and make friends very soon. That's what I like about World. It's not only a fantasy story. It's a social utopia, in a sense. Goodness, kindness, love, courage and strength, so many noble virtues we often can't find on Earth. World is a fantasy, a dream. But dreams can come true, sometimes. We just have to use a bit of 'magic', perhaps.

I wonder if ...they might find George...I am bit confused when men are mentioned? What their age?...I presume there are little girls and girl magic?

George? Which George? (Just kidding.) Well, they went looking for George, but even I don't know, yet, if they will find him. Stay tuned. (Wow, is that an archaic idiom.) The human males who live long enough to become men usually do so c. age 300, although there is a wide variation, apparently. So far, "The Book of Heroes" is silent on Girl Magic except that it exists.

I'm enjoying this at least as much as ITPSS and GoS...now that Chandler and Marty have been hit with the fact that they'll be living at least another 100 years...set ups for some real journeys to begin...

It's interesting how easily Marty and Chandler accept some things nearly without question, and are plagued by questions and doubts about other things. Thanks for your kind words.

So far, all of the stories posted are from "The Book of Heroes." The biggest question seems to be: How and when are they related. I hope to have a timeline for at least some of the stories constructed, soon. "The Paladin" is known to have taken place some 50,000 years before the beginning of "George of Sedona," "In the Prince's Secret Service," and "Master of Fire," which are known to be relatively contemporaneous.

So does the gate send back the straight ones? :P or its not an equal opportunity gate world?

You raise an interesting point; so far, everyone known to have come to World from an Earth-analogue has been a gay male. However, "The Book of Heroes" is far from finished.