Team Recognition

Emulated

Team Recognition.  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Does an authors writing team get the recognition they deserve?

• Yes, plenty!
    • Some
    • Not enough

Heya,

Recently I've been thinking of ideas to rectify the above problem, but it was when I came across this post by Talon, did I really spring to action.

Some authors on GA are privileged to have a writing team behind them. Whether that's an editor, a beta reader or even a consultant. Now the problem begins when some authors neglect to mention the work undertaken by the rest of the team. This goes against what I believe in. Everyone throughout the writing process, no matter how small their input, should be recognised, publicly.

If you're a good author, you may be thinking, "Well, I do thank my team in each of my chapters. What else can I do?" You're right, this can be a problem, even for me. While I'd love to begin each chapter with a message about how hard my editor has had to sieve through my words to make them shine, in reality I can't. Why? Well the reader wants to read the story, not a dedication plaque.

So what do we do? As you may have guessed, I think I have a solution.

We take one month out of the year and call it the: Team Recognition Month (or similar)

It doesn't even have to be large. As long as it gives us (authors, writers AND readers) the opportunity to publicly list and thank these great people, I'd call that an accomplishment.

I know that CJ made an award for the editors and one for the beta readers, but for obvious reasons, there can be no one person who can win that. As a side note, how many of you looked at those awards and thought, "Yeah, thank you (authors name) team!" ? Huh? Not many, I'm sure.

What are your thoughts/opinions on this? I'd like to know what you think, especially from any authors, as it is our responsibility.

Take care,

Emulated

I'd also like to publicly thank TalonRider for all of his editing assistance throughout my stories. Thanks Talon!

Note to mods: I posted this is in the lounge instead of the writing community section so it gains more attention. It's a topic that I feel deserves that extra attention. Thanks! ;)

I always make it a point to mention my team and thank them for their help at the beginning of each of my chapters. Being an editor and beta myself, I want to see my efforts recognised by my authors and I know it feels good when an author you work with does that. So, I always thank my team when I post a chapter, even if the readers read it or not. It's like Disclaimers, some read it...some don't.

But yes, I'd like to see your idea developed and see some more ideas thrown around. :)

And finally....Thanks to Talonrider, Bondwriter, Sharon, Rob, Colin and Julien for all the effort that they put in to make my works the best they can be...

BeaStKid :devil:

I take my 'team' out back and execute them and then deny I even had one.

Okay, okay. Maybe not. I use a few editors and if they're good they get to stay on to the next work. I fire more than I keep. I like editors that argue with me and tell me I'm wrong and WHY. I don't want yes people. I want them to take me to task.

I thank them in each chapter, the foreword and afterword. However, of my team, several have asked not to be mentioned so I don't.

• Site Administrator

I know how much I'm dependent on my own team. CJ recently started beta-reading for me, and one of the things he commented on (after some prompting from myself) was how much less polished was the writing I was sending to him, compared to what's published.

I know exactly how much my editors (Rain and Aaron from the Mail Crew) make a difference to my stories, but very few other people do.

Similarly, I rely on my beta-readers to catch not only the things that I, as an Australian, take for granted, but are not clear to my American readers (all my beta readers and editors are American), but also to watch out for when I'm concentrating so much on one point that I neglect others.

Getting back to the point of this thread, though -- I really don't know how to increase the recognition that the team deserves :( Any suggestions?

Seems like my kind of an author....lol...the files I send back are so red you've to dig the black text... :lol:

We actually have a system. I send out draft one, when I get all the replies, I fix them (or leave them if I disagree with it) then send out a second version to everyone with all the various corrections they made plus the ones I found on my re-readings. I do require my editors have a superb command of the English language as well as be able to handle a serious row with me over what I'm doing :)

That version is usually close to the final version. I discuss the changes in that second version with my editors individually and explain what changes I made or didn't. I may change something in a different way than they suggested. I may ignore it and explain why -- sometimes I am right and my editor is wrong. However my editors don't know who else is editing. I don't really care, they just seem to like it that way.

I would GLADLY give them more recognition than the little thank you line I have in my stories, but they don't want it.

I think that the majority of authors around here make a solid effort to make their writing teams feel valued and appreciated. That said, I will say that I think some authors are exemplary in this regard. CJ for example goes far above and beyond what is typical to give recognition and appreciation to anyone who has a hand in his stories.

I know that speaking for myself there's a good chance most of what I post would never have been made public without Sharon's support and assistance.

I think some extra form of recognition for these vital people is a great idea! I think that a Team Recognition Month would definitely be a nice thing to do. I think it's always going to fall to the authors just what they want to do to make their team feel special and needed, but perhaps setting aside a special time period would provide some of the impetus.

To some extent, I also think it helps - in terms of recognition - when the team is also quite visible. For example if they comment on the stories and provide their own perspective then it quite clearly makes people more aware of their presence and also gives the author a great opportunity to once again publicly draw attention to their much needed efforts. I think it can even be the case that editor or other team member themselves can become highly visible and thereby gain more recognition for their work. For example I would speculate that everyone knows what tireless, dedicated editors Sharon and Jan are because they're so visible in general.

I think there is a flip side of the coin though in that some team members might not be visible at all in the first place and are thereby harder to "recognize". For example there have been several excellent stories that I've read in which the author made it a point to thank their editor at the beginning and/or end of each chapter, yet I had never heard of that person before so it was just a name to me. Of course very often the author themselves is just a "name" until you get to know them on some level, but I think it's easier to get some type of feel on them from their stories. With the support team that's harder to do.

Anyway, I definitely am in favour of doing more to show appreciation for the vital writing team :)

-Kevin

I wish I had my old team :(

I love editors, you guys are equally part of the stories final production as the writer. As a writer, we come up with concepts and plots. As an editor and proofreader, you conceptualize our ideas and help create the flow from which a great story can emerge.

I applaud your work noble editors and beta readers.

BTW, speaking from the other side, because I edit for two (un)lucky authors, I am MORE than satisfied with a simple one sentence thank you at the end of the story (or at the top of a chapter).

I don't need glory. I do it because I am passionate about the authors I edit for. That and they can put up with my evisceration of anything short of perfection :)

Maxwell Perkins is probably the most famous and influential literary editor. He championed and nurtured great authors that we may well never had heard of without his help. If anyone doubts the value of a good editor, then one should be directed to Perkins's example. Those who doubt they need an editor should wonder what they have that makes them better than Hemmingway, Fitzgerald, Wolfe, Lardner, et. al.

I use the Bill O'Reilly method: I sexually harass my team. :P

Seriously, it takes way more than an author to produce a story. Whatever I can do to let my team know that I love them, well, I do it.

Maxwell Perkins is probably the most famous and influential literary editor. He championed and nurtured great authors that we may well never had heard of without his help. If anyone doubts the value of a good editor, then one should be directed to Perkins's example. Those who doubt they need an editor should wonder what they have that makes them better than Hemmingway, Fitzgerald, Wolfe, Lardner, et. al.

Well, in the case of Hemingway, I hope what they have that he lacked is an ability to write in an interesting and compelling way on topics that won't bore the reader to tears. :boy:

Anyway, regardless, they almost certainly would benefit from an editor.

I use the Bill O'Reilly method: I sexually harass my team. :P

Seriously, it takes way more than an author to produce a story. Whatever I can do to let my team know that I love them, well, I do it.

:lol:

-Kevin (who would rather give up reading entirely than be forced to exclusively read the works of Hemingway)

Edit: I'm glad other people are somehow (miraculously IMO) able to enjoy his writing though :)

Edited by AFriendlyFace

I think there is a flip side of the coin though in that some team members might not be visible at all in the first place and are thereby harder to "recognize". For example there have been several excellent stories that I've read in which the author made it a point to thank their editor at the beginning and/or end of each chapter, yet I had never heard of that person before so it was just a name to me. Of course very often the author themselves is just a "name" until you get to know them on some level, but I think it's easier to get some type of feel on them from their stories. With the support team that's harder to do.

I agree, it's also what makes it difficult to get people to acknowledge them. That's why it would benefit people the most if there was some type of recognition done here, on GA, as many users are aware of who the editors are.

Anyway, I definitely am in favour of doing more to show appreciation for the vital writing team :)

Great! :D Now we just need someone to come up with a suitable idea that would work. Anyone?

We actually have a system. I send out draft one, when I get all the replies, I fix them (or leave them if I disagree with it) then send out a second version to everyone with all the various corrections they made plus the ones I found on my re-readings. I do require my editors have a superb command of the English language as well as be able to handle a serious row with me over what I'm doing :)

That version is usually close to the final version. I discuss the changes in that second version with my editors individually and explain what changes I made or didn't. I may change something in a different way than they suggested. I may ignore it and explain why -- sometimes I am right and my editor is wrong. However my editors don't know who else is editing. I don't really care, they just seem to like it that way.

I would GLADLY give them more recognition than the little thank you line I have in my stories, but they don't want it.

I do the exact same thing with my authors (and when I write)...Each chapter usually goes through two rounds of editing before both the author and I pronounce it ready... :)

BTW, speaking from the other side, because I edit for two (un)lucky authors, I am MORE than satisfied with a simple one sentence thank you at the end of the story (or at the top of a chapter).

I don't need glory. I do it because I am passionate about the authors I edit for. That and they can put up with my evisceration of anything short of perfection :)

Same here. A simple mention is more than enough for me. I take great pride when the author I work with is praised for his/her work 'cause I feel that they are praising me in the process as well. And seeing the same author's work evolve through their stories and helping to improve their style is reward enough when that hard-work is acknowledged by the readers...

:)

BeaStKid :devil:

• Site Moderator

I have to agree with Wibby, there are those that don't want the recognition.

If an author I work with asks, I'll leave it up to them and most generally, they will mention me.

Nick will thank me when he posts a chapter. He will usually thank his whole team at the completion of a story.

I have to agree with Wibby, there are those that don't want the recognition.

That's understandable. That's why a generalised method of recognition might work better. That way they'd be acknowledged for what they do, but not in a personal sense.

Looking at the results to the poll, they all seem to be quite even, with perhaps a few more people suggesting that we should do more. But again, that brings the question of what to do.

• 1 month later...
I think that the majority of authors around here make a solid effort to make their writing teams feel valued and appreciated. That said, I will say that I think some authors are exemplary in this regard. CJ for example goes far above and beyond what is typical to give recognition and appreciation to anyone who has a hand in his stories.

To some extent, I also think it helps - in terms of recognition - when the team is also quite visible. For example if they comment on the stories and provide their own perspective then it quite clearly makes people more aware of their presence and also gives the author a great opportunity to once again publicly draw attention to their much needed efforts. I think it can even be the case that editor or other team member themselves can become highly visible and thereby gain more recognition for their work. For example I would speculate that everyone knows what tireless, dedicated editors Sharon and Jan are because they're so visible in general.

Thanks Kevin. :)

I do try, but I'll be the first to say I don't do enough to recognize all that my team does.

What I currently do is make sure I try to thank them in the forum threads, and also in every chapter credit at the bottom of each chapter. On my site, every chapter credit is discrete text, so in many cases the credits change from chapter to chapter. This also gives me the ability to add a special "thank you" to someone lending a hand in some way on a specific chapter. An example at the moment is Wildone, who will be added to the credits of chapter 31 of my current story as a way of saying "thank you!" to him for pointing out a typo and also a plot continuity issue (I'll post about that in my forum). My point here is that having each chapter credit be discrete text rather than a PHP include (where one piece of text is echoed to every chapter) gives me added flexibility in recognizing people who help.

I do try to include my team whenever I can, because that's what we are, a team, and I consider the stories to be as much theirs as mine. It's a team effort, and I mean that in every sense of the word.

One idea that I flagrantly stole (From Mark Arbor, but Shhhh, don't tell him...), modified, and aim to implement, is having a Team Page on my website, with a little about each member, what they do, and a link to their profile, etc. That page will also house the awards the stories have won, because that's where they belong; to the team.

CJ