New Moderators discussion

I think that there should be at least one anonymous moderator.

Oh great, I can see it now, Myr's Secret Police. As with any 'governing' body, true authority rests with the governed. I assume this is why Myr wants a vote on the proposed moderators once he is satisfied with their ability/integrity. Being a moderator means you should be held to a higher standard of behavior, and that can only be achieved by doing everything above board. Anonymity provides a cover for abuse, and then places more responsibility on Myr to monitor his moderators. Openness allows forum members and unregistered guests to directly monitor the moderators and report abuses to Myr (or another moderator). Just as I don't want a cop who beats his wife, I don't want a moderator who is without impulse control while posting as a 'regular member.'

While anonymity may make it easier for some people to dispense appropriate remedys, it is exactly that emboldenness that will allow other people to abuse authority.

Just my opinion on the subject

:king: Snow Dog

I did not say all of the moderators should be anonymous. Sometimes, decisions are best made by an anonymous person.

I have been participating on messageboards for many years. Most of the time a known moderator works. But there are a few cases where it did not.

A post gets deleted (or edited) by a moderator and automatically it hits the fan. The moderator comes under attack because they are biased. Accounts get suspended or deleted. Admin gets hit with emails. The poster comes back via another account and the cycle starts over again.

I have seen it and it can ruin a messageboard. People get sick of it and move on.

This site is still growing. Eventually it will get hit with people who express controversial opinions that may not sit well with the majority of membership. One has to be fair and maintain order. When the situation arises, an anonymous moderator would be best to handle any tension.

Hi...umm..maybe we can let Myr first get applications...The guidelines seem reasonable. Then when Myr reviews them and vettes them and then we get to vote on the candidates (unless I read incorrectly what Myr set down), we then get input. I like the idea of transparency so we know whom are Moderators are and they act as referees of sort. It appears to me that Myr is the Chief Justice and they are Associate Justices. seems fair enough to me. With our group, I am guessing that an anonymous Judge at this point in time would cause a huge stir. But, it would be up to Myr to see if that is what would be required down the road. I would hope that we all act fairly without bashing each other so we don't need that and give each other the respect we want want to receive. The Golden Rule and kindness, even with a touch of humor, always works best, in my humble opinion. I hope we never come to needing an Anonymous Judge. Yikes.

But, hey, let's see who wants to be Moderators. Let the process work. Myr has set some reasonable rules. We get a vote (advice and consent) and take things from there. I am betting we never will need an Anonymous Judge. I sure hope not!

Myr, from one Taurus to another, thanks for all you do for us!

Michael

A good mod should:

1) be mellow and not fly off the handle

2) have a thick skin

3) be objective and not use their power to push their own agenda

4) be able to talk everyone from hormone crazed teens to senior citizens and treat them all with respect- even when they don't deserve it.

5) respond quickly to requests & complaints

All in all, it's very much like customer service. Only true masochists need apply.

A good mod should:

1) be mellow and not fly off the handle

2) have a thick skin

3) be objective and not use their power to push their own agenda

4) be able to talk everyone from hormone crazed teens to senior citizens and treat them all with respect- even when they don't deserve it.

5) respond quickly to requests & complaints

All in all, it's very much like customer service. Only true masochists need apply.

James:

I think that says is best and well said:)

Michael

This site is still growing.  Eventually it will get hit with people who express controversial opinions that may not sit well with the majority of membership.  One has to be fair and maintain order.  When the situation arises, an anonymous moderator would be best to handle any tension.

I disagree with you. My experience is that most forum members deal with controversy themselves, in effect self-policing, such that a moderator only needs to step in when there are extreme cases. There are bound to be controversial opinions (that's why there's a SoapBox) but rather than getting out of hand, I think it helps people better understand the character and views of the people they're dealing with.

A good example is the recent political discussion in SoapBox (Republicans..). There are bizarre and inaccurate views expressed by both sides, but there are also some insightful thoughts. For me, it's been educational. Not only did I get some food for thought on the topic, but I got an insight into how some of my fellow board members think. You don't get that from simple, easy, non-controversial topics.

The worst thing, in my opinion, would be to throw an anonymous moderator into the mix. Nothing would piss me off more than to have my posts edited, or my privileges restricted, by someone who wasn't willing to express themselves openly. That would destroy this board faster than anything. A moderator needs to stand up and state their opinions and reasons, and be willing to be accountable for them. Anonymity breeds injustice.

Good point, especially since this board relies on member contributions to stay operational. If you piss off members, especially ones that pop you some cash once in awhile, you lose your board. Capitalism at work.

• Site Administrator

This is exactly what I was hoping for... a reasonable discussion.

It has been my experience in the last 5 years of running or being involved with the administration of community forums, that the tough decisions can be made by a group and the group can take responsibility.

Also, I should point out, that every member has the ability to do some moderating. There is a "Report" button on every single post. You can use that to alert moderators/admins that there is a problem.

We still need more volunteers. Thanks for participating here. I fully intend to have a transparent operation here.

Myr

From reading Myr's announcement and blog post, it seems to me that he is looking for moderators to serve a bigger function than just policing the board.

In his messages, he said that "the community is floundering" and that he wants people who can help "foster and expand the community". I've been a fairly active member here since April and have watched the ebb and flow, and I have to say that I agree with him. Now, that's not a criticism of anyone!

The libertarian-anarchist part of me might prefer a board where the structure forms and maintains itself totally naturally, but I want to be realistic about it. We have a very diverse group of people on this board (ages, political persuasions, genders and sexual orientation, cultural backgrounds, etc. ... and that's just the people who post, so I'm assuming the same for the people who read but don't post). To me, that could be the foundation of a very dynamic, creative community, or it could be just a mess. (Even the human body has to have a spine, or else it will just fall over in a blob.)

Myr is being pretty straightforward with us ... he doesn't have the time or energy to do this, and it's not his forte anyway. He may not want to hear what I'm going to say next, but IMO he's got a pretty big heart to have made the commitments in his blog that he did.

At any rate, I guess what I'd want from moderators is not to control the creative tension in the community (which IMO would be counterproductive), but to manage it so it doesn't self-destruct.

Kitty

Kitty, as always, well said and well thought out and says it best. As Myr said, we all are moderators of sorts by being able to send a complaint, concern or email to a Moderator. I feel the criteria Myr has established are reasonable and transparent ones and will work well, particularly since Myr will screen the applicants, then put them to a vote by the group. Advice and consent. In my opinion, it works, when reasonably done and that Myr has created a foundation for that to occur. I say let the process works its course. I am sure we will have a good team and the Forum will grow and have its ebb and flow and the way it is structured allows for opinion, comments on a variety of topics and story discussion and all sorts of discussion. I am learning a great deal from a wide spectrum of individuals, with varied backgrounds and areas of the globe. I find it invigorating and we all are given a place to express our view points and to read about others, whether we agree or disagree with those viewpoints. So, Myr, I say, you have laid an excellent ground work and fair rules, and let the process begin. I also do have one concern, which is what Kitty has said and that is I hope we have a Forum which encourages more and more Members who read but do not post to actually feel safe, comfortable and willing to post and then do post. I feel that Myr is trying to create that atmosphere and I am all for that. I am sure we all are:)

Michael

Kitty,

You make good points. It was interesting to watch those of us who are Domaholics migrate to this site and ultimately blend in. It wasn't seamless, and it wasn't without controversy, but things settled down in a pretty predictable manner. I think that a moderator's intervention is necessary when the settling doesn't happen, but even then I think it's best to let the board TRY to regulate itself first. I think it's my ultimate confidence in free markets that convinces me to advocate this point of view.

And kudos to Myr for confirming a transparent moderating staff. I'm glad the anonymous moderator issue was raised, new ideas are good, but I'm even more glad it didn't gain traction.

Along with what Mark said, when I first crossed the neurotic curtain from the Danopolis and explored/accepted my Domoholism, I came almost immediately on the heels of one PWS (I didn't know what I stepped in at the time). Needless to say, my personality didn't quite mesh with the recently offended Rainbow crowd (among others) and I was rebuffed quite forcefully. Stepping into an already charged situation could have gotten very ugly, all it took was a minimal explaination from Dom regarding recent problems, and reading backward on the forum to understand what I stepped it.

umm .. the point Snow Dog ... :angry: ...

oh yea,

The point I'm trying to make is that with a bit of time and my humbly accepting my rightful positon as Emperor, any complication and confusion that existed smoothed itself out quite rapidly. So... I don't think the moderators need to be as much of a police force (I hope), there are enough of us on all sides with sharp enough tongues (and teeth :P ) to handle much of that. What we need are people who can grease the squeeky parts and keep things moving that have stagnated; who can help make the newbies feel welcome and willing to start participating.

Got no time to for spreadin' roots, The time has come to be gone.

And to' our health we drank a thousand times, it's time to Ramble On.

Edited by Snow Dog

Well...I can tell you...That I'm NOT doing my Job. You see I'm Perhaps as busy as MYR right now and it's often a week inbetween visits for me! I wish i could do more.... But I like to eat and if i don't work very hard in my business I don't eat! YOu see I work for food!? Nope I don't hold a sign but i do work 60 - 70 hours a week.

Sorry I couldn't do more...Perhaps a few of you can step in.

Thanks

In his messages, he said that "the community is floundering" and that he wants people who can help "foster and expand the community". I've been a fairly active member here since April and have watched the ebb and flow, and I have to say that I agree with him. Now, that's not a criticism of anyone!

I don't believe that the "community of floundering" as much as it is going through some changes and some routine cycles.

First- it's summertime. A lot of people are simply doing other things.

Second- some premiere authors here and elsewhere have left the community. This has a effect as their fans realign themselves.

Third- many readers furiously read everything they can find and go away. They might wait weeks or months before they come back to see what is new.

Fourth- If you write it well, they will come. That's not an admin function, that's on the authors. Authors, like everone else, go through slumps, get busy, face real life challenges or just plain burn out.

This stuff will work itself out with time. The best plan is not to over react or think of it as a crisis.

I don't believe that the "community of floundering" as much as it is going through some changes and some routine cycles.

First- it's summertime. A lot of people are simply doing other things.

Second- some premiere authors here and elsewhere have left the community. This has a effect as their fans realign themselves.

Third- many readers furiously read everything they can find and go away. They might wait weeks or months before they come back to see what is new.

Fourth- If you write it well, they will come. That's not an admin function, that's on the authors. Authors, like everone else, go through slumps, get busy, face real life challenges or just plain burn out.

This stuff will work itself out with time. The best plan is not to over react or think of it as a crisis.

Good points.

• 2 weeks later...

I almost put this in the current "censorship" thread, but realized it belongs here.

What happened with the Soapbox is just the most obvious example of how overworked Myr is. With Dan as the only moderator, and having a major shake-up in his life (which is a good thing for him) it left a void. If there is a single forum that must have active moderation to keep it about just a bunch of name calling, it is the Soapbox. I'm not blaming Dan, far from it, I think it just serves as an example that whoever Myr (and those of us who participate in the choice/discussion) decides to give moderating privaledges to, has to be very responsive to complaints about harrasing posts. This doesn't mean that the response has to be one of knee-jerk 'hand wringing' and sending someone to the corner for a time-out. But as emotions get high in places like the soapbox, someone uninvolved needs to take the time to see if there is something going on that needs to be dealt with.

To anyone involved in the discussions, it was obvious that the source of any "bad feelings" (for lack of a better word) was the back and forth between AcePylut and several of our more active members (myself included). IMHO it would have been wrong for any of the members involved in those discussions to invoke moderator status to take action. Thus the need for several moderators of all attitudes when it comes to forums like the Soapbox. I don't think the forums on discussing the authors' work need as much content 'monitoring' as they do structure monitoring; for that, having the monitor be an avid fan and active participant is not a problem, and probably a benefit. The problem is the more general forums like the soapbox.

Umm ... the point Snow Dog ... I think I'm trying to say that all of the monitors should have responibility for forums like the Soapbox and General Discussion so that problems can be handled quickly if necessary and it provides time for monitors to discuss things amongst themselves and yr if necessary before taking action.

Enough from me, go back to what you were doing, nothing to see here ...

:king: Snow Dog the Domaholic Danderthal

I almost put this in the current "censorship" thread, but realized it belongs here.

What happened with the Soapbox is just the most obvious example of how overworked Myr is.  With Dan as the only moderator, and having a major shake-up in his life (which is a good thing for him) it left a void.  If there is a single forum that must have active moderation to keep it about just a bunch of name calling, it is the Soapbox.  I'm not blaming Dan, far from it, I think it just serves as an example that whoever Myr (and those of us who participate in the choice/discussion) decides to give moderating privaledges to, has to be very responsive to complaints about harrasing posts.  This doesn't mean that the response has to be one of knee-jerk 'hand wringing' and sending someone to the corner for a time-out.  But as emotions get high in places like the soapbox, someone uninvolved needs to take the time to see if there is something going on that needs to be dealt with. 

To anyone involved in the discussions, it was obvious that the source of any "bad feelings" (for lack of a better word) was the back and forth between AcePylut and several of our more active members (myself included).  IMHO it would have been wrong for any of the members involved in those discussions to invoke moderator status to take action.  Thus the need for several moderators of all attitudes when it comes to forums like the Soapbox.  I don't think the forums on discussing the authors' work need as much content 'monitoring' as they do structure monitoring; for that, having the monitor be an avid fan and active participant is not a problem, and probably a benefit.  The problem is the more general forums like the soapbox.

Umm ... the point Snow Dog ...  I think I'm trying to say that all of the monitors should have responibility for forums like the Soapbox and General Discussion so that problems can be handled quickly if necessary and it provides time for monitors to discuss things amongst themselves and yr if necessary before taking action.

Enough from me, go back to what you were doing, nothing to see here ...

:king: Snow Dog the Domaholic Danderthal

Very well put Dog and I think dually noted.

Isn't that "duly"? You're my favorite editor Robbie! :P

I thought he was just being afflicted with multiple personality disorder and felt it would be insensitive to point it out :whistle:

Very well put Dog and I think dually noted.

Isn't that "duly"? You're my favorite editor Robbie! :P

I thought he was just being afflicted with multiple personality disorder and felt it would be insensitive to point it out :whistle:

You guy's are a hoot!!!! :lmao:

Mark is my Str8 man! :*)