Oldest animal ever

AFriendlyFace

I found this interesting and thought others might as well:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1567562/Clam-405-is-oldest-animal-ever.html

Imagine, a 405 year old claim! I do think it's quite terrible and tragic that they killed it by dragging it up to the surface. Seems like quite a sacrilege after all this time :angry:

Thoughts and comments?

I found this interesting and thought others might as well:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1567562/Clam-405-is-oldest-animal-ever.html

Imagine, a 405 year old claim! I do think it's quite terrible and tragic that they killed it by dragging it up to the surface. Seems like quite a sacrilege after all this time :angry:

Thoughts and comments?

That reminds me of the oldest bristlecone pine... I beleive there was one even older than the current record, and they discovered this by counting its rings, shortly after chopping it down (thus killing it). It was almost 5000 years old. :(

That reminds me of the oldest bristlecone pine... I beleive there was one even older than the current record, and they discovered this by counting its rings, shortly after chopping it down (thus killing it). It was almost 5000 years old. :(

Oh wow! That's terrible! I hadn't heard about that.

I'm not entirely sure, it may be that the current record-holder for the oldest living thing on the planet (a bristlecone called Methusala) is older than the cut one, but there wasn't much in it, and it was mentioned as part of a documentary that I saw years ago. It sounds sadly plausible, though.

List of oldest living things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_long-living_organisms

Plant: Bristlecone Pine - 4,862 (felled)

Colony: Sea grass - 100,000

Animal: Antarctic sponge - 1,550, that clam, Koi fish - 215 (died in 1977), some bowhead whales - 210, tortoise - 188 (died in 1965)...

Human: Jeanne Clement of France - 122 (died in 1997)

Must correct something. If it were 405, then it saw James I on the throne, not Elizabeth I. She died in 1601. The calm was born around 1604. :P

Edited by Jack Frost

I do think it's quite terrible and tragic that they killed it by dragging it up to the surface. Seems like quite a sacrilege after all this time

Yeah it's really sad. :(

That reminds me of the oldest bristlecone pine... I beleive there was one even older than the current record, and they discovered this by counting its rings, shortly after chopping it down (thus killing it). It was almost 5000 years old. sad.gif

If they didn't cut it down, it could have grown to be much older. Ugh :(

"It has the most boring life," he said. "It even has a low rate of reproduction."

It's funny how some people think that they can define whether or nor a creature has a boring life.

Edited by ArpeGGio