The Dark Arts (Harry Potter Universe)

Tiger

Ah yes, it was revealed to me when I took the Harry Potter Sorting Hat Test that I would be a Slytherin. While that does not necessarily suggest evil, I must say that some of the spells and such are quite delightful. Here is a list of dark spells I would be willing to use.

Crucio (The Cruciatus Curse)- This spell would be most delightful in my opinion. If someone really got on my bad side, I would not hesitate to use it. Crucio is from the Latin word meaning "I torture". As such, the spell causes pain so unbearable that it can even cause insanity. Though I would likely not use it to such an extent, I would use it if someone really crossed me.

Note: This is an unforgivable curse, and I would only use it if I thought I could get away with it

Imperio (The Imperiatus Curse)- Well, of course, I would use this? What kind of pansy ass dark wizard or which doesn't want slaves to do his or her bidding? The spell is said to make a person's free will separate from his or her body. However, some wizards, including Harry Potter himself, can resist the curse.

Note: This is also an unforgivable curse

Adava Kadavra (The Killing Curse)- I dare say this was Voldemort's favorite of the three, and it is the only one (as far as the books are concerned) that Harry Potter never used, though it is likely he would have occasionally used it as an Auror as an adult as it was often said to be a last resort. This is probably the worst of the three, and I would only use it for one of two cases. 1) Someone had messed with my family or a close friend. 2) If I, or someone close to me, were in danger.

FiendFyre- This is one of the most dangerous spells. It is so powerful as to be able to destroy a horcrux, meaning that anything it touches cannot be repaired by magical means. It causes a huge plume of fire to shoot at it's intended victim. However, it is very advanced, and only a wizard highly skilled can use this spell properly. Thus, I would be wary of using this spell, as it has been known to actually kill the caster.

Sectumsempra- This spell is a nasty one indeed. It cuts the intended victim as if by an invisible sword. Without some magical healing, I suspect the victim will bleed to death. This was a spell created by none other than Severus Snape.

There are also spells and other dark magic I would dare not use under any circumstances.

Serpensortia- This spell causes a snake to appear. Ummm... eww.

Inferi- Well, dead stuff gives me the willies, and inferi are worse than zombies. 'Nuff said.

Horcrux- I'd rather keep my soul attached, thanks. Lord Voldemort killed 6 people to split his soul in 7 ways (including the small piece still left in his body). Also, Harry Potter was one of the horcruxes. Thus, there were 8 pieces of his soul all together. This is probably the darkest of all magic in the Harry Potter universe, and it is more evil than I'd be willing to do.

For more information, try clicking here.

And yes, I know that these things are impossible in real life, but a guy can dream, can't he? :P

I've never really liked the way she defined those three spells are 'unforgivable'. Crucio I can understand, but Imperio and Avada Kedavra I don't. Various 'lesser' forms of control are clearly legal, so why imperio got chucked out I don't get. And for the killing curse... dead is dead. Does it matter if I do it with the killing curse, sectumsumpra, or some other spell? Even Crucio I can see a 'valid' use for (I can't imagine a better way to distract an opponent in battle than raw pain).

Of course Serpensortia is dark. Snakes have a dark association in the HP universe. The only snakes I remember were associated. Nagini and the basilisk were associated with Voldemort, and Draco Malfoy is the one who introduced Serpensortia. People freaked out completely and thought Harry Potter was a dark wizard when he was revealed as a Parcelmouth. Of course, I think that was cool. It's too bad he didn't remain a Parselmouth. Everyone needs a dark side. :P

Of course Serpensortia is dark. Snakes have a dark association in the HP universe. The only snakes I remember were associated. Nagini and the basilisk were associated with Voldemort, and Draco Malfoy is the one who introduced Serpensortia. People freaked out completely and thought Harry Potter was a dark wizard when he was revealed as a Parcelmouth. Of course, I think that was cool. It's too bad he didn't remain a Parselmouth. Everyone needs a dark side. tongue.gif

I think that the only reason he was considered evil because of the parcelmouth was because of the association with Voldemort.

In the very first book Harry speaks to a snake in the zoo and sets it free... that snake was pretty cool. The basilisk isn't technically a snake... in fact in some legends it looks something like a chicken and one of its 'common' names is cockatrice. He is kind of snakelike in Harry Potter world though.

I don't think that a spell to call a snake would be dark magic. It would be only natural for a Slytherin to call a snake because it is associated with his house anyway.lmaosmiley.gif

As far as the three unforgivable curses.... well they are unforgivable for the same reason as anything else in this world is unforgivable.... because those in power say they are. When I take Voldemorts place as head of the Death Eaters and grind those namby pamby softies into the dirt they will, of course cease to be unforgivable. I might have to outlaw Alohamora though... my secrets stay secret and my doors stay closed.

Oh and I think that Sectum Sempra is WORSE that Avada Kadava... same result but so much messier.... I think I would tend to use this one as preference... have a thing about blood in case you haven't noticed :)devilsmiley.gif

The only known Parcelmouth in the Harry Potter series who isn't evil is Harry Potter himself. Voldemort, Herpo the Foul, Salazar Slitherin, Merope Guant, Morvolo Guant, and Morfin Guant were all dark wizards. Need I say more?

As for horcruxes, does anyone know just how bad they are? Surely death would be preferable over creating them. They're quite nasty as the ultimate evil is required for making them. Only remorse can repair the broken soul, and the process is so excruciating that the wizard may die in the process. :(

He didn't? I thought Voldemort's powers were there 'to stay'...

No! The reason that Harry could speak Parseltongue was because Voldemort inadvertently made him a Horcrux. Thus, a piece of Voldemort's soul was trapped within Harry's body. This is why he could sometimes see whatever Voldemort saw or feel what Voldemort felt. It was later revealed to Harry within the memories of Severus Snape that Harry was, in fact, a Horcrux, and essentially, he had to die. He cheated death, however, but the Horcrux (or piece of Voldemort's soul) within Harry's body was destroyed. Alas, Harry Potter no longer had this connection with Voldemort and could no longer speak or understand Parseltongue.

Well, I knew about the first part, but I didn't realize that he lost his powers as a result :D (Edit: Actually, I think I remember a scene where he didn't understand parseltoungue anymore at the end, it's just been so long since I last read the book... I wish it were out in e-book format, I really do!)

The sorting hat says...

Hufflepuff!

Look below to see how compatible you are with each house, and for descriptions of the houses.

House Crest

Score (0-100)

House Description

gryffindor.jpg

Gryffindor

Said Gryffindor, "We'll teach all those with brave deeds to their name."

Students of Gryffindor are typically brave, daring, and chivalrous. Famous members include Harry, Ron, Hermione, Albus Dumbledore (head of Hogwarts), and Minerva McGonagall (head of Gryffindor).

ravenclaw.jpg

Ravenclaw

Said Ravenclaw, "We'll teach those whose intelligence is surest."

Ravenclaw students tend to be clever, witty, intelligent, and knowledgeable. Notable residents include Cho Chang and Padma Patil (objects of Harry and Ron's affections), and Luna Lovegood (daughter of The Quibbler magazine's editor).

hufflepuff.jpg

Hufflepuff

Said Hufflepuff, "I'll teach the lot, and treat them just the same."

Hufflepuff students are friendly, fair-minded, modest, and hard-working. A well-known member was Cedric Diggory, who represented Hogwarts in the most recent Triwizard Tournament.

slytherin.jpg

Slytherin

Said Slytherin, "We'll teach just those whose ancestry is purest."

Slytherin students are typically cunning and hungry for power. Important members include Draco Malfoy (Harry's nemesis), Professor Severus Snape (head of Slytherin), and Lord Voldemort.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a hufflepuff, nice.

Cedric Diggory was a good wizard, but he was defeated by a Slytherin. The same can be said of Tonks... As Hufflepuffs seem to believe in fair play *yawn*, it's highly doubtful they'd use dark magic. :(

How do we know that Lord Voldemort blood line is pure??

that he's not another adof - who's also not a pure blood of his country

-----

Same goes when the usa goes on the communist witch hunt

----

The saying that Slytherin believes in

is just evil to be taken in

- a sucker born every minute

- lord volt - just hisses his way to the bank

Voldemort was not a pure-blood. He was a half-blood. His father was a muggle. The same could be said of Severus Snape, another half-blood. Still, he was prejudiced, or so it seemed and relished in killing muggles, Muggle-born wizards (that the blood-obsessed called Mudbloods), and anyone who seemed to have a soft spot for them. It's also worth noting that Slughorn, as well as Andromeda Tonks were Slytherins, but they were not obsessed with blood purity. The more important atrributes for a Slytherin are ambition, cunning, and achievement.

It would probably be very tempting but not for me.

Though if I was being attacked by a Dark Wizard I'd fight fire with fire. There would be no point in disadvantaging yourself.

There are some powerful spells on both sides. Remember, Dumbeldore was considered the most powerful wizard of his time. I'd use an assortment of spells to be honest. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that if you go too far to the dark side, you cannot use the Patronus, which is indeed an extremely powerful spell, one that can even be used for secret communication and driving away demontors (and some other creature that I forget the name of)

There are some powerful spells on both sides. Remember, Dumbeldore was considered the most powerful wizard of his time. I'd use an assortment of spells to be honest. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that if you go too far to the dark side, you cannot use the Patronus, which is indeed an extremely powerful spell, one that can even be used for secret communication and driving away demontors (and some other creature that I forget the name of)

Yeah, but we can't all be Dumbledore. Therefore we'd have to play a little dirty.

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to bring up Horcruxes again. I think someone would probably have to be out of his or her mind to even consider it. I have no idea how one is created, though I suspect it involves blood and something else you have to do that's quite disgusting. I'm looking forward to the Harry Potter Encyclopedia coming out, because morbid curiosity has struck after reading this.

J. K. Rowling knows exactly what the process for the creation of a Horcrux is, but is not telling

I wonder, if she does tell all whether some idiot is going to actually try it. I would think she would have to make it pretty wild to prevent that.

That being said I think the process would be achievable. It is, after all possible to separate the soul from the body and to split of parts, if not of the soul then at least of the personality. Murder breaks the soul and so I would think that causing death, probably of an innocent would pretty much have to be part of the rite... I would suspect the crucio curse is involved somewhere and I would be unsurprised by blood.

Well, the Cruciatus Curse most likely does little to a dead body. I don't know what the vomit-inducing act is, but it certainly involves blood somehow, because when a Horcrux is destroyed, blood shoots out of it with one exception. The piece of Voldemort's soul that he kills with the Killing Curse (in the Forbidden Forest upon Harry Potter) does not seem to produce blood. Then again, it is said not to be a true Horcrux either. The burning of the scar was indicated to be the part of the soul trapped in Harry wanting to return to Voldemort. But like I said, the process of a normal horcrux (in description alone) seems as though it's quite revolting. Still, I want to know. :lol:

Edit to add: I just thought of something. It was described in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows that Slytherin's locket seemed to have a beating heart. Maybe it's because a human heart is somehow transfigured into the object itself. *puke*

Edited by Tiger

Well, the Cruciatus Curse most likely does little to a dead body. I don't know what the vomit-inducing act is, but it certainly involves blood somehow, because when a Horcrux is destroyed, blood shoots out of it with one exception. The piece of Voldemort's soul that he kills with the Killing Curse (in the Forbidden Forest upon Harry Potter) does not seem to produce blood. Then again, it is said not to be a true Horcrux either. The burning of the scar was indicated to be the part of the soul trapped in Harry wanting to return to Voldemort. But like I said, the process of a normal horcrux (in description alone) seems as though it's quite revolting. Still, I want to know. laugh.gif

Edit to add: I just thought of something. It was described in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows that Slytherin's locket seemed to have a beating heart. Maybe it's because a human heart is somehow transfigured into the object itself. *puke*

The Cruciatus Curse would do little to a dead body but it would be pretty horrible if it were the cause of the death in the first place, although the thought of ripping the living heart out of someone appeals a lot more :) The Aztecs and Toltecs were the experts at that.

The Cruciatus Curse would do little to a dead body but it would be pretty horrible if it were the cause of the death in the first place, although the thought of ripping the living heart out of someone appeals a lot more :) The Aztecs and Toltecs were the experts at that.

The Cruciatus Curse doesn't cause death, though I'm sure some victims of extended torture would welcome death.

The Cruciatus Curse is one of the three Unforgivable Curses of the wizarding world. It is a curse of torture, inflicting excruciating pain on a victim. This makes it popular among the Death Eaters for use on both fellow wizards and Muggles. Considering the fact that this curse doesn't physically harm the victim, it possibly stimulates pain receptors. Cursing another human being with Cruciatus carries a punishment of a life sentence in Azkaban.

The two most well-known victims of this curse are the former Aurors Alice and Frank Longbottom, who were tortured into insanity with it by Death Eaters Bellatrix, Rodolphus and Rabastan Lestrange, and Barty Crouch Jr.

• 10 months later...

I have read all the books, own all the movies, and am looking forward to the 2 part conclusion. I have always been fascinated about magic. I have to wonder how many gay wizards there were in Hogwarts.

Adava Kadavra (The Killing Curse)- I dare say this was Voldemort's favorite of the three, and it is the only one (as far as the books are concerned) that Harry Potter never used

Semantics, I know, but Harry did use AK in book five while fighting Bellatrix but he didn't have the conviction to make it effective.

edit:wrong book

Edited by scotchirish87