Is There Anyone From Oklahoma?

rainyday

Hey guys,

I know this is really random, but I really just wondered if there is anyone else here, who either lives in Oklahoma or has lived there before. I think I might be like 1 of 3. Or maybe 1 of 1... Just wondering if anyone could relate to living in such a conservative state (not saying that I have it horrible or anything, it's not as bad as Mississippi or the Deep South, but still...).

Actually, depending what you're talking about, it could be worse than the deep south. Oklahoma is as bright red as it gets politically, full of God and Guns. And for those of us who enjoy the magic herb, it's the most dangerous state in the union, with the toughest marijuana laws. So quite frankly, I don't think there really is a worse place, and I'd be willing to consign the whole state to the dustbin if you weren't there. :D Think maybe you could move?

Actually, depending what you're talking about, it could be worse than the deep south. Oklahoma is as bright red as it gets politically, full of God and Guns. And for those of us who enjoy the magic herb, it's the most dangerous state in the union, with the toughest marijuana laws. So quite frankly, I don't think there really is a worse place, and I'd be willing to consign the whole state to the dustbin if you weren't there. :D Think maybe you could move?

There are some wonderful people here, such as myself. :) I basically try to find the craziest people I can to hang out with because they would be considered "normal" in most other states. I wish I could move, and plan to after I get out of school. I like that you pointed out the ridiculous marijuana laws also, which are extremely annoying for someone who uses marijuana medicinally as I do (I have an intestinal disorder, and mj always makes my stomach feel better).

• Like 3

Your topic title was too irresistible to ignore. At first, I thought that the answer was a clear, "no." That is, after having driven across the state several times, I assumed that no one lived there but the fellow who ran the only gas station on the interstate, and that he actually lived in Texas and commuted to work. (Just kidding.) Oklahoma is certainly a poster child for extremely conservative thinking. I believe they rival Kansas in that regard. (With all due respects to James, Mississippi isn't conservative: it's Neanderthal.) On the other hand, we know that there are fine people (meaning "open minded people") in every state; the problem is finding them. Good luck with that (and be careful). In the meanwhile, keep in touch on this site.

Funny that I just received my e-copy of GLSEN and they are talking about OK and their gay youth. It's a very interesting read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/magazine/27out-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&pagewanted=all

Link for GLSEN (I'd suggest to share this one with all your friends)

http://www.glsen.org/cgi-bin/iowa/all/home/index.html

it's not as bad as Mississippi or the Deep South, but still...).

LOL... I'm from Mississippi and know EXACTLY what you mean.

My ex-sister in law lives in Ada.

I've worked in Tulsa, Talaquah, Red Oak and Talahina.

As for the magic herb, it grows pretty well in Oklahoma if I remember correctly. ;)

Funny that I just received my e-copy of GLSEN and they are talking about OK and their gay youth. It's a very interesting read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/magazine/27out-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&pagewanted=all

Link for GLSEN (I'd suggest to share this one with all your friends)

http://www.glsen.org/cgi-bin/iowa/all/home/index.html

I saw this article today also, it's a great article. I'm glad that things are slowly changing. I know that 5-6 years ago when I was in middle school I sure as hell wouldn't have felt comfortable coming out to anyone! That is one thing that the new glbt support group I'm working with is trying to do, get more GSAs in schools around here. We sent out a bunch of letters to all the OKC schools, and the surrounding area, so far no one has responded back. It also seems that Tulsa's gay community is actually larger, and more diverse than Oklahoma City's which surprises me.

• Like 1

Oklahoma also seems to have a lot of adult book stores if I remember correctly. lmaosmiley.gif

It seems that the more repressed people are, them more they seek an outlet, any outlet. It would be interestinjg to see statistics on the per capita number of liquor stores (and their sales volume) in, say, Tupelo, Mississippi compared to, say, Washington, DC. Okay, maybe not Washington...they're got other reasons to drink. How about anywhere in California?