it's so nice to read a local accent

Daisy

hey

just thought I'd give this a recommendation. I have only read 4 chapters, but so far very good. but the main thing I like? the british scenery and accents. that and everything clicks. reading american stories I have got used to now - and I sort of get the scene. however it wasn't usually all that real. maybe that was the writers - but more I think it wasn't something I'd lived. This, coming from Liverpool (me, I mean), is very real.

The naughty lad, the trouble he does, the language he uses. and well, even his humour. everything. give it a try - and see what 'real' britain is like. well at least as far personalities, incidents and just generally, even down to the details. I can't vouch for the actual specific storyline :).

http://www.awesomedude.com/mike_arram/TCP/index.htm

edit: it's the language really. english english rather than american english

Edited by Smarties

I had a little piece of the Little Britain in original UK version.

Good god... whatever came out of that woman mouth totally got me off guard and I could barely understand anything. ¬¬

Then a Brit had to explain to me that it's Chav English.

Well... That explains it. Sometimes I can't even understand what comes out of the gangsta's mouth either.

I'll give it a quick read to see if it would get my interests. :)

PS - My Winter 2009 stort story is completely French Canadian and my story is pretty much part-Canadian, part-American. :P :P :P

Edited by Jack Frost

Mike Arram is a wonderful writer - AD just has two of his stories, but you can find all of his stories on crvboy. Chav Prince is the fourth of his Peacher stories - all the rest are great though I recommend starting at the beginning with Toward the Decent Inn.

The slight differences in British english (as opposed to US english) are fun for me to experience. And the various subcultures of various parts of England are great to experience as well - definately an author I highly recommend.

• Site Administrator

Mike Arram is a wonderful writer - AD just has two of his stories, but you can find all of his stories on crvboy. Chav Prince is the fourth of his Peacher stories - all the rest are great though I recommend starting at the beginning with Toward the Decent Inn.

The slight differences in British english (as opposed to US english) are fun for me to experience. And the various subcultures of various parts of England are great to experience as well - definately an author I highly recommend.

I agree 100% with Trebs specool.gif , Mike Arram is an amazing writer.

I particularly enjoy the different British dialects that he uses for his different characters. Such as Justin will never sound the same as Henry, you can actually read the difference.

I have read the entire series and highly recommend it. I also had fun going in to work and discussing with a lady who grew up in the UK about the language and what certain things meant (like sixth form and the other schooling names).

I'm glad he is continuing to put out new stories, just wish he would come over to GA to do so sad.gif

Edited by wildone

Slight differences! there are huge differences :D. and then there is the tone. maybe it's just because it is such a breath of fresh air to read something ... that I don't know, is home,,,gritty, more real? at least to me it seems that way, after being immersed (but aware) of being in American literature. Though I don't know where he got the two leads names from if he wanted them to be british :), nathan and justin, at least typically.

Scallies, that's what Chav's are called in Liverpool. A scally. I went to school with a whole load. definitely rings true. and although it's a london accent, I read it similar to the scouse one at times.

any english questions ask away. It was difficult at times teaching myself about your in-depth cultures, systems and institutions.

and there are loads of english dialogues and accents. it's part of what makes us so special :).

ps. little britain is taking the piss and going overboard. but then it's funny because it's true :), at least with, damn forgotten her name, but the chav girl.

Edited by Smarties

I had a little piece of the Little Britain in original UK version.

Good god... whatever came out of that woman mouth totally got me off guard and I could barely understand anything.

Slight differences! there are huge differences :D. and then there is the tone. maybe it's just because it is such a breath of fresh air to read something ... that I don't know, is home,,,gritty, more real? at least to me it seems that way, after being immersed (but aware) of being in American literature. Though I don't know where he got the two leads names from if he wanted them to be british :), nathan and justin, at least typically.

Scallies, that's what Chav's are called in Liverpool. A scally. I went to school with a whole load. definitely rings true. and although it's a london accent, I read it similar to the scouse one at times.

well I know I could google it but I can ask as well ;-) who the hell are chavs or scallies and what is scouse? Is there any map with main UK dialects with some examples? is it possible to listen to them on the internet?

If I could get this to work this would be great to show you as it has recordings from all over the UK. But Scouse is an accent from Liverpool which is in the northwest of england. It is a very distinct accent. very nasal and very highpitched. But even saying that there are loads of variations in the region. Not long ago they got ethnic minority status so they could be protected against discrimination because many people won't employ because of how they sound (and of course implications of who they maybe). Liverpool, where the Beatles came from. But they were posh scousers.

London has many accents. Cockney the most famous. But Justin the characters is different to that really.

Newcastle in the north east (just below scotland) is known for Geordie.

Birmingham in the middle of the country for Brummie.

Yorkshire is above that in the middle of the country has it's own accent - again with local variations (yorkshire is huge).

Then there is the general north/south difference in accents.

and public school (and pirvate school) versus state schools.

and loads more!

of couorse - don't forget welsh, scottish and irish (all with variations).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/voices/recordings/group/merseyside-birkenhead.shtml

this is ok, though the liverpool accent doesn't show you the strongest type.

http://www.bl.uk/learning/langlit/sounds/index.html

http://www.bl.uk/learning/langlit/sounds/regional-voices/lexical-variation/

In terms of Chav - it's a term in the UK for someone who is usually well, in the lower social classes. they wear tracksuits (no - idea if you know what I mean), caps, socks pulled up. but what they wear is very crucial to them. To everyone else it looks a bit of a mess (no, that's not the word, hmm) but they pride themselves on it. Usually there is a swagger. And in Liverpool the girls are usually bright orange from fake tan. They are known to others as being a threat or trouble. If you see a gang of them then you would usually avoid them. read the story and you will get an idea. Scally is liverpool's term for them. Well, at least I think so. I only learnt chav really when i went to uni. I think scally is used more often in Liverpool, and can be a term to use with friends. well, bad example but, "come here scally lad" - a boy asking another to come across the room or something. and there are loads of swear words - again where the story is true. My sis has a GPS guide for her car - once she remarked, imagine if it were a scouser telling her the directions - if she turned the wrong way, rather than patiently asking her to turn round it would be swearing at her non-stop calling her all sorts of names about being as stupid as hell :). but you know, often they don't mean to be mean. and liverpool is known for its people's humour.

celia

Edited by Smarties

If I could get this to work this would be great to show you as it has recordings from all over the UK. But Scouse is an accent from Liverpool which is in the northwest of england. It is a very distinct accent. very nasal and very highpitched. But even saying that there are loads of variations in the region. Not long ago they got ethnic minority status so they could be protected against discrimination because many people won't employ because of how they sound (and of course implications of who they maybe). Liverpool, where the Beatles came from. But they were posh scousers.

London has many accents. Cockney the most famous. But Justin the characters is different to that really.

Newcastle in the north east (just below scotland) is known for Geordie.

Birmingham in the middle of the country for Brummie.

Yorkshire is above that in the middle of the country has it's own accent - again with local variations (yorkshire is huge).

Then there is the general north/south difference in accents.

and public school (and pirvate school) versus state schools.

and loads more!

of couorse - don't forget welsh, scottish and irish (all with variations).

http://www.bbc.co.uk...irkenhead.shtml

this is ok, though the liverpool accent doesn't show you the strongest type.

http://www.bl.uk/lea...unds/index.html

http://www.bl.uk/lea...ical-variation/

In terms of Chav - it's a term in the UK for someone who is usually well, in the lower social classes. they wear tracksuits (no - idea if you know what I mean), caps, socks pulled up. but what they wear is very crucial to them. To everyone else it looks a bit of a mess (no, that's not the word, hmm) but they pride themselves on it. Usually there is a swagger. And in Liverpool the girls are usually bright orange from fake tan. They are known to others as being a threat or trouble. If you see a gang of them then you would usually avoid them. read the story and you will get an idea. Scally is liverpool's term for them. Well, at least I think so. I only learnt chav really when i went to uni. I think scally is used more often in Liverpool, and can be a term to use with friends. well, bad example but, "come here scally lad" - a boy asking another to come across the room

hey

just thought I'd give this a recommendation. I have only read 4 chapters, but so far very good. but the main thing I like? the british scenery and accents. that and everything clicks. reading american stories I have got used to now - and I sort of get the scene. however it wasn't usually all that real. maybe that was the writers - but more I think it wasn't something I'd lived. This, coming from Liverpool (me, I mean), is very real.

The naughty lad, the trouble he does, the language he uses. and well, even his humour. everything. give it a try - and see what 'real' britain is like. well at least as far personalities, incidents and just generally, even down to the details. I can't vouch for the actual specific storyline smile.gif.

http://www.awesomedu...m/TCP/index.htm

edit: it's the language really. english english rather than american english

I know what you mean. I have found since immersing myself in this site and the stories posted here which are predominantly written by Americans, that I find myself, sometimes thinking in Americanese when I write. :)

Thank you, another thing I'll read :) , I'd say most stories or some some on here that I read on here are realistic.. some that I find from different parts of the country are different cause of sayings/slang.

I only read a few stories that has a uk author, and a two in australia, kinda want to read about one that's based in italy, and the author lives there.

The same could be said with me constantly talking to the British oftentimes daily. So words like wicked, boot, git, trousers, chav, etc. are well-known in my mind. :)

you don't say trousers :blink::)

yeah, so different. I'm glad you picked up some of our stuff.

I know it's good to read a story in one's own dialect. I've read a couple of chapters and have a bit of trouble with the dialogue. I can usually figure out what a word is based on context. I'm curious to know what the dialect is. I don't know if it's Cockney or hackney or just slang. I do know it's not the received standard or received pronunciation.

Would appreciate one of the UK members enlightening us.

I know it's good to read a story in one's own dialect. I've read a couple of chapters and have a bit of trouble with the dialogue. I can usually figure out what a word is based on context. I'm curious to know what the dialect is. I don't know if it's Cockney or hackney or just slang. I do know it's not the received standard or received pronunciation.

Not a clue :)

to be honest I am not sure exactly what the accent is. I'm not from London. I know it's not the usual cockney though. Some of the slang phrases he uses I recognise though ,even though they aren't used where I live (and I immediately think of what would have been used instead, but I can't think where specifically they are more common).

Where I do recognise it though is especially where Justin is being reactionary or speaking fast. because then that to me resembles what the scallies (well, not just scallies, but scousers a little generally) are like, even if some of the phrases, or emphasis, are a bit different.

so, :) I'll let some-one else answer

This is a joke told by Red Skelton, when he met Margaret Thatcher, the former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

Red Skelton: I turned to Margaret Thatcher and said, "Ain't this beautiful?" and she replied, "Not ain't, isn't. Don't you know the Queen's English?"

Red replied, "I heard she was, yes."

TBDRESK-EC040.jpg

Edited by MikeL

This is a joke told by Red Skelton, when he met Margaret Thatcher, the former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

Red Skelton: I turned to Margaret Thatcher and said, "Ain't this beautiful?" and she replied, "Not ain't, isn't. Don't you know the Queen's English?"

Red replied, "I heard she was, yes."

TBDRESK-EC040.jpg

I heard she was German :)

you don't say trousers :blink::)

yeah, so different. I'm glad you picked up some of our stuff.

And I had to learn the difference of fanny on both sides. I nearly got my head ripped off by a British girl when I said fanny pack. Erm... I meant... bum pack... as you guys would say it on your island. :P

And I had to learn the difference of fanny on both sides. I nearly got my head ripped off by a British girl when I said fanny pack. Erm... I meant... bum pack... as you guys would say it on your island. :P

yeah, my brother got back from travelling europe this summer and said fanny pack in front of my aunt - and my little cousins who asked what it was, I thought she was going to have a heart attack. He'd picked it up from other travellers :).

I've just been reading something and again it stood out to me. why oh why do you say 'nodded their their head no'. It's shook their head no, and nodded their head yes. so weird. it had me really confused at the beginning. :) it just reminds me of trying to rub your stomach and pat your head at the same time where you've mixed up the two.

The most interesting part... Same could be said in French. "Foufoune" means "butt" in Quebec, yet in France... it means the hole between woman's legs. It's just like the difference of fanny on both sides of the pond. Sometimes it's just an Old World vs. the New World thing. :) Some French tourists were so shocked to see a nightclub named "Foufounes

The most interesting part... Same could be said in French. "Foufoune" means "butt" in Quebec, yet in France... it means the hole between woman's legs. It's just like the difference of fanny on both sides of the pond. Sometimes it's just an Old World vs. the New World thing. :) Some French tourists were so shocked to see a nightclub named "Foufounes