Message Board Topic 9/27

Comsie

I once heard a quote that said, "Criticism is the burden of genius." And since anything even remotely personal or artistic pretty much falls into the category of genius, it sometimes feels like this is true. No doubt about it...if you put yourself out there, you are going to be exposed to it. And sometimes it can just blindside you to the point where you end up getting really hurt by the comments being said. And you have to learn to grow a thick skin, as sensitivity is an unfortunate weakness when it comes to your art. Take the hit, and keep moving.

But...what if it isn't just one hit? What if you have someone, or a bunch of 'someone's, constantly popping up in your email, or on your site, or in your forums, or at your book signings...whatever...and they seem DETERMINED to completely cut down everything you do as a writer? How do you deal with author hecklers? Or...have you ever been one yourself? Is it something to be hurt and angry about? Should you take measures to make sure that it stops? Or is it something that should just be ignored? Hell, maybe it's even something to be FLATTERED by! Sure, they complain everytime they see your work...but they are ALWAYS coming back for more! So maybe it should be taken as an envious compliment instead of an insult.

What do you guys think? What are the motivations of an author heckler, and how do you deal with them?

tongue.gif I, like all authors can be incredibly sensitive about my work. When I see I have a new review I am rediculously excited and if someone actually comments in the discussion thread... WOW. If the comments are negative then it depends in what context. If someone is saying they just don't like the story or don't understand parts of it or have constructive criticism then that's fine. For example a wise sage of the forum once commented on my style of writing unbroken dialogue. I took it to heart, reviewed my writing and now make a conscious effort to put plenty of breaks in there, except when the story requires it. On the other hand I have been told not to bother writing vampire stories as the market is dominated by a certain writer wub.gif and no one is going to bother reading mine tongue.gif That I ignored. :)

If someone, or more than one person was consistently trashing my work for no reason other than to be spiteful or negative for the sake of it then I think it would hurt, and hurt a lot. I would try to talk to them, find out what their motivation was and reason with them. If that didn't work I'd resort to threats and if that didn't work I would probably turn them all into frogs and the laws of conservation of mass be damned :) :) :)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..