What do you like about GA?

gardentuber

In deadsnake's thread about life changing books, several members mentioned stories they had read on GA. That put me in mind of the benefits we get from this website (and those who slave to make it!).

For me, the biggest change/benefit has been to change me from a passive to an active reader of fiction. There are a lot of stories here by authors who are just cutting their eyeteeth with writing. The title of "author" has become more accessible and less daunting. Now, I read stories and explore how I might adjust grammar or syntax or even how I might tweak a plot line (or laugh when I read of a guy wrapping his arms around his lover's "waste". eeeyewww!). I find I'm doing the same when I read mainstream fiction as well (that's evaluate writing, not wrap my arms around waste). I like this new way of reading. So, thank you GA!

GA ROCKS! :music:

• Like 1

I certainly like reading posts like the one gardentuber wrote for this thread. But if I am honest I guess I'm just very glad no one has tarred and feathered me yet. I think James S. has thought about it. But so far I have been myself, completely inappropriate as that may be. I appreciate feeling free to play here. I may even get serious about something.

I'm here because I can talk about my sexuality freely here, which is a big plus! Also, I love stories. And here, stories in which homosexuality is a normal thing are supported. Love is something that almost every writer writes about at least once in his/her life, but it's almost always straight love. That should change, in my opinion.

I suck at explaining things like this, but this is what I like about GA most: I can be myself! And I totally agree with Arpeggio: I could never give up GA!

I do love the stories here, and while some stories have a typo here and there, so does most published literature. The current author I'm reading uses insure (to provide financial collateral against loss) in place of ensure (to make certain; guarantee) and uses the word quite frequently. While much rarer, confusion of loose (not tight, rhymes with "moose") and lose (not win, rhymes with "choose") comes up occasionally as well. Certainly in comparison to non-professional sources of e-fiction, GA has one of the highest standards around.

edit: typo (oh, the irony)

Edited by BlueSoxSWJ

Absolutely the fact that I can be myself absolutely. I can be my usual wierd and wonderful self and as inappropriate as I like and if i get my wrists slapped for i now and again... sometimes HARD... that's ok because I get forgiven :)

Second to the freedom is the fact that I get to write my stories and people actually read them... not only that but some of you even like them. I had never thought that I would be able to express my true twisted self in my writing and actually get anyone to read them without running screaming for the hills :)

Thirdly there is the chance to read what others have written... to learn from those who are more experienced and skillful than I am and to help support and encourage those who are starting out.

And overall there is the warmth and friendship, the banter, the support, the tears and tantrums, the excitement, the mental stretching and the chance to meet and get to know so many wonderful people I would otherwise never have had the chance to know.

I'm hooked and here to stay :)

• Like 1

I'm here because I can talk about my sexuality freely here, which is a big plus! Also, I love stories. And here, stories in which homosexuality is a normal thing are supported. Love is something that almost every writer writes about at least once in his/her life, but it's almost always straight love. That should change, in my opinion.

I suck at explaining things like this, but this is what I like about GA most: I can be myself! And I totally agree with Arpeggio: I could never give up GA!

On the contrary, Robyn, your explanation was very understandable and your feelings came through clearly. Thank you for that.

Absolutely the fact that I can be myself absolutely. I can be my usual wierd and wonderful self and as inappropriate as I like and if i get my wrists slapped for i now and again... sometimes HARD... that's ok because I get forgiven smile.gif

Second to the freedom is the fact that I get to write my stories and people actually read them... not only that but some of you even like them. I had never thought that I would be able to express my true twisted self in my writing and actually get anyone to read them without running screaming for the hills smile.gif

Thirdly there is the chance to read what others have written... to learn from those who are more experienced and skillful than I am and to help support and encourage those who are starting out.

And overall there is the warmth and friendship, the banter, the support, the tears and tantrums, the excitement, the mental stretching and the chance to meet and get to know so many wonderful people I would otherwise never have had the chance to know.

I'm hooked and here to stay smile.gif

Once again, Neph says so well what I would like to have said, first. The somewhat ironic aspect of this question is that I found it on the one-year anniversary of joining the site, something I had been thinking about for several days.

What do I like?

First, that Myr has not only created an incredible site, but has drawn together an absolutely impressive staff of volunteer administrators and technical folks who maintain the site to such high standards.

Second, that several of those folks, most notably Talon Rider, have supplied so much help and encouragement to me.

Third, as Neph said, that not only can I post my stories here, but people actually read them and tell me what/why they like/dislike about them. From the very first chapter I posted, I found people willing to offer constructive feedback. I think I can see improvement in my writing (of course, I am biased...) as a result.

Next, again paraphrasing Neph, the site is the source of some most excellent fiction...and there are so many excellent authors and so many genres of gay and gay-friendly stories. I cringe when I think of the time I wasted searching for "real stories" on some of the more...um, candid?...sites.

Another thought. Several authors have trusted me to beta read and edit their stories. That is perhaps the most intimate e-relationship two people can have. I have enjoyed those relationships, I appreciate the trust that is offered, and I look forward to continuing them.

Finally, and again going back to what Neph said: I have met some very wonderful people here, and I've exchanged banter and serious, philosophical thoughts in an environment that encourages and nurtures such exchanges. Frankly, I don't think there's anything like it elsewhere on the internet.

Thank you, all!

• Like 2

What I like about this site the most is that it is the only place where I can be who I really am. I've gotten a lot of great advice from people and it helps me to remember I'm not the only one. Also, I like reading all the stories people write! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

To me, this is my heaven, where I've met the people I consider my family. Unlike with all of you, I can't talk to my biological family about the things I talk to you about nor act the way I act here for they would not understand. Even at my age I still get reproached by them.

When I made the mistake of telling my sister that I was editing for some of you the first thing that came out of her mouth was "are they paying you?" when I told her no she told me I was wasting my time. I love editing and will NOT give it up for anything.

When I told one of my boys about the site and the stories he asked me how in the hell could I read stories about gays (mind you he's bi) and I told him, "don't you like watching two women going at it?" he said yeah so I told him "what's good for the goose is good for the gander so shut the hell up and don't be a hypocrite."

If my parents ever found out about me being in this site... Oh GAWD!!! I would never hear the end, especially from the psychologist (my dad)!!

But yeah, why do I LOVE coming here?

You're all I've got...

• Like 3

i like the site because of some of the sheer talent I've had the pleasure of reading, and the encouragement and insight I get on some of my own stories. I don't think I would have ever started writing again if it wasn't for some of the people I've met here.

LT

• Site Administrator

I, like Rush, feel like I can admit to something, reading gay fiction, that I can't do with my family. Just yesterday I was given a hard time by my husband for reading and posting to threads on this website. Pretty much had to tell him to put up and shut up since I really like the vibe here, especially from those of you who have actually made the time to chat with me. I just joined so I am not as involved as some but I could easily see myself sticking around a long time.

Thanks to all involved in this website!

Edited by Cia
  • Like 1

WARNING: This Website Can Be Very Addictive !!! :P I have gotten involved in so many of the stories/authors in here my time is spent reading and editing which just reminds me, I better get my arse in gear and go edit Krista's newest chapter before she yells at me! :lol::lmao:

Gay Authors provides a sense of community and fellowship in addition to its main focus on quality literature. With very few exceptions, everyone gets along well here.

There is also an opportunity to contribute, even for those like me with no writing talent, through either editing or proofreading as Rush mentioned, by providing advice and encouragement to other members, or by being a good listener. I encourage everyone to take advantage of all the site has to offer.

I'm new but I felt a need to reply because it's all so very true,

this site helps you get involved with everyone.

Also, I haven't read much on here, but from what I have read, it's all so very good.

Plus, everyone's been very nice so far.

So thanks!!

• Like 1