Exodus- Government issue

I just started thinking about this, it is getting me into a writer's block.

What type of government would be good for a fleet of exiled gays, lesbians, and bisexuals (Yeah I will touch on bisexuality, too)?

It's getting me stuck, so I will ask my readers for their input.

The system that I had in place was oligarchy based on authority and specialties; however, I doubt that people would have agreed to live under such a system over time, especially after they have an amount of stability.

That's one thing I thought BSG, the new series, did well.

Having a hierarchy is impossible to maintain as people desire freedom and equal treatment. As a gay man, I feel that is the cornerstone of our struggles in reality as well. So, I can't possibly imagine a situation in which we should regress back to that state with limitations on freedom after being faced with a genocidal purge like in Exodus.

I'm stuck on the politics.

Anyone got an idea about how it could work out?

I'll post this on the Fort Forum as well, since I've been mulling this back and forth.

In the beginning when people are unsettled and scared they need to be told what to do. Also there needs to be a way of making decisions quickly and decisively. That is one of the big problems of a democracy. It doesn't work in times of war or strife. So I think an oligarchy is not a bad way to begin.

As things settle down and a degree of stability is reached then it may be that the masses are given more power and control in some kind of democracy. A true democracy isn't sustainable in a large society because it is just too time consuming and bogged down in debate. Some form of democratic structure with a clearly defined structure and a hierarchy of sorts, although accessible to the masses wouldb be the best I think

There's a lot of ground to cover in my story. The government stuff has to be thought up as well as they approach their target destination and there are new issues coming up with the "alien" pod containing the teenage human boy.

My issue is trying to come up with a government with power, but it would not cause issues to everyone involved. Also, as I stated most of the fleet are populated by kids and teenagers, there is going to be a generational gap and age issues. Call it my metaphor for the Gay Right's key issue between generations that I am seeing play out in the US and around the world.

There are overt metaphors in my story that you will get as you read and some not so overt metaphors.

Well.... if what you are looking for is a government model that will please everyone... then you may as well forget it...it doesn't exist.

Humans... especially young ones... are opinionated, stubborn and wild... for a governing point of view. They are genetically geared to fight authority and so any government is going to struggle.

On the other hand... in that situation firm government is essential otherwise there will be chaos.

I would suggest that perhaps a charismatic disctatorship with delegation to a 'cabinet' of other charismatic leaders to begin with. People follow people they respect and humanity has a tendency to hero worship... after that... *shrugs*

I am thinking of two thing groups: A council of Elders and a Conclave of peers. There is going to be issues of authority though, so I am not sure what will happen with that.

Everyone is starting to let go of survivor mode and move into "It's life mode". The kids and adults haven't forgotten the decade long genocide and guerrilla war they just left either.

As I keep repeating in my story, the exiles had no choice, but to abandon earth. It was a losing battle as more people died each day from raids, executions, or mental death through a combination of medical treatment/psychological therapy. (I know many gay writers would write great stories about gay people triumphing over adversity no matter what, but in this situation, there was no way to win. They just held on and tried to do what they can.)

There are different schools of thought when it comes to survivors, some wish to start a new life away from the things that haunt them, some wish to kindle a common bond with their fellow survivors, and others seek an ounce of retribution. I got that from the Chinese, who still harbor great resentment towards the Japanese for killing innocent people and the sadistic experimentation.

If you read my first part you know what Gregory Faust did before the ship's departed earth orbit. He is not alone in his sentiment and you can't blame him for doing what he did, especially if you knew what he had to do to protect everyone. A WWI general once quipped that "War has become a numbers game, so how many graves must we dig for them and us to end it".

At the end, there's a lot of issues between mindsets and personalities.

I am thinking of two thing groups: A council of Elders and a Conclave of peers. There is going to be issues of authority though, so I am not sure what will happen with that.

Everyone is starting to let go of survivor mode and move into "It's life mode". The kids and adults haven't forgotten the decade long genocide and guerrilla war they just left either.

As I keep repeating in my story, the exiles had no choice, but to abandon earth. It was a losing battle as more people died each day from raids, executions, or mental death through a combination of medical treatment/psychological therapy. (I know many gay writers would write great stories about gay people triumphing over adversity no matter what, but in this situation, there was no way to win. They just held on and tried to do what they can.)

There are different schools of thought when it comes to survivors, some wish to start a new life away from the things that haunt them, some wish to kindle a common bond with their fellow survivors, and others seek an ounce of retribution. I got that from the Chinese, who still harbor great resentment towards the Japanese for killing innocent people and the sadistic experimentation.

If you read my first part you know what Gregory Faust did before the ship's departed earth orbit. He is not alone in his sentiment and you can't blame him for doing what he did, especially if you knew what he had to do to protect everyone. A WWI general once quipped that "War has become a numbers game, so how many graves must we dig for them and us to end it".

At the end, there's a lot of issues between mindsets and personalities.

Isn't there always? There are going to be a lot of wounded people as well as strong ones and people deal with that in different ways and different times. There are always going to be conflict and challenges but... like you said they have to do something and they do the best they can. The Council of Elders and Conclave of peers sounds like a good idea... you are just going to have to do what they would do... try it and see how it works.

I am excited to see how your story develops :)

Power should belong to the able. The masses are too stupid or too busy with their trailer trash soap opera lives to know what to do with it. Worse, when they have power, they use it to shake down the able for that which they can not do for themselves- like health care and government cheese.

Oh... and don't forget the secret police. There have to be secret police and they should be stupid and paranoid. Make sure that they are the kind that ignore obvious external threats and focus on war veterans and religious flakes.

That should screw things up bad enough to furnish the Casus belli for a really nasty revolution.

Power should belong to the able. The masses are too stupid or too busy with their trailer trash soap opera lives to know what to do with it. Worse, when they have power, they use it to shake down the able for that which they can not do for themselves- like health care and government cheese.

Oh... and don't forget the secret police. There have to be secret police and they should be stupid and paranoid. Make sure that they are the kind that ignore obvious external threats and focus on war veterans and religious flakes.

That should screw things up bad enough to furnish the Casus belli for a really nasty revolution.

Sounds like you want me to start a Civil War?

Sounds like you want me to start a Civil War?

Humm- I was thinking that might be why they left.

See- we're pretty politically stupid in this country. We've had people throw around words like Nazi and fascist that they don't mean much anymore. I think a reminder of what they are really like might be in order.

Might take a little research but it would be well worth it.

Well, I am going to hold off on Civil War scenario for a bit, any type of storyline like that takes a lot of work to build up.

My current plot outline (hopefully no changes) calls for two sequels and one prequel (if people demand it).

The order of my stories will go like this:

Genesis (prequel)

Exodus (Currently being written)

Kings (Future Sequel #1)

Revelations (Future Sequel #2)

Enjoy speculating on my plot, if you wish. Government is going to be something that I am starting in Exodus and extends much more into Kings, so developing it will create a lot of different outcomes.