Amnesia by Dolores Esteban

• Site Administrator

I agree :) The clues were all there, but I didn't work it out (then again, I'm rotten when it comes to mysteries -- I generally just enjoy them as stories).

It's interesting that the behaviour that I thought was just eccentricity was, in fact, covering up a murder.

Thank you, Dolores! I really enjoyed that story :)

Dolores has used a historical setting, another world not quite our own, to draw us deeply into her story. The clues may have been there, but I was utterly deceived until

the inspector echoed Lord Aldridge's words

. The comparison between the exchange of words in the alienist's office and the conversation between Inspector Graves and Lady Mortimer was brilliant: a wonderful literary device that added depth and quality to the story.

• Site Administrator

I'm not typically into the mystery genre but I love historical fiction so I decided to read on. This was a great story, I did see the plot line coming, especially once the mother described Lord Mortimer but was intrigued nevertheless. There was one discrepancy that pulled me out of the story flow when Dr. Hensely is called Dr. Mortimer...but that was the only thing. All in all, a very good story!

Interesting. I must say I failed to catch on until the very end. I kept thinking he turned him into a vampire cause of that picture of Dorian Gray(though now that I think of it, Dorian Gray wasnt a vampire). I'm gunna read it again and see if the clues pop out at me, now that I know whats going on.

Many thanks everybody for reading and commenting. I'm glad you enjoyed the story smile.gif

Many thanks also to TalonRider for helpful comments and for editing my story.

I look forward to reading the other entries. Unfortunately, I don't have much time since I've just started a new job. But I'll read the other stories soon. I very much love the anthologies.

Dolores

What a creepy ending! I loved it! You had me decieved until the very end. Being alway cold myself I thought nothing of the fireplace. I also have sensitive eyes so I missed the sunglasses too. I guess you can say I relate to the characters...except for that part about the ashes.:P

• 3 weeks later...