Tiger

I definitely didn't expect it to be this good. Actually, when it first came out, there were like no lineups. But now... I had to come an hour and a half early. Anyone see it in 3D?

Btw, cheesy papyrus font : ). Everyone is bitching about it.

I really enjoyed this movie as well, the 3D was super doppeee.

However there were a couple things I think James Cameron would've been good to round out a bit more, or remove entirely. I found the main antagonist (the stereotypical military man) to be wayyyy to over the top cliche. It was painfully annoying whenever he was on screen. I also found the main character to be somewhat weak at points, not very well fleshed out as a character himself. I also felt that the pacing seemed a bit off at times.

Overall none of these things were movie crippling, and I definitely plan on going again once the holiday rush dies down (We've had ticket sales in excess of 5000 people a day for the past week since christmas :<)

• Site Administrator

Finally got to see the movie, and in 3D as well thumbsupsmileyanim.gif .

I would say all the hype about this movie changing the way that movies will probably be made in the future might hold true for certain types of movies. It was amazing at the depth of the screen throughout as mentioned by Tigger. At times you could lift your glasses and realize how much difference their is between 2D and 3D. A side note, one friend who is actually colour blind and was never able to see the 3D with the old blue and red glasses saw everything in 3D with the new technology.

The story was good enough to keep me wanting more and to delay the pee break that was much needed after all that pop in a 3 hour movie tongue.gif .

I think I might see it again.

Also, I believe there is a guy in Toronto that has developed and copyrighted a screen that will fit over your plasma/LCD TV or down to a iPod screen that will enable you to see it in 3D quality at home.

Hopefully this technology doesn't fall to the wayside of horror movies only like the original 3D did.

• Site Administrator

I definitely didn't expect it to be this good. Actually, when it first came out, there were like no lineups. But now... I had to come an hour and a half early.

Only an hour and a half early? I went to the IMAX cinema at the Melbourne Museum on Sunday where it's also showing (in 3D). I arrived at 11am and EVERY SESSION for the day (through to after 8PM) was already full. Just as well I wasn't going there to see Avatar :P

But if I was going to see it, an IMAX cinema in 3D would be the place....

• Site Administrator

I saw it in IMAX as well. It is sold out days in advance here. It is really good in IMAX 3d though :D

They say Avatar has already made a billion dollars all over the world...

That's not surprising. It's a kick ass movie.

And wildone... I probably wouldn't have been able to see the old 3D either. I'm colour blind too.

• Site Administrator

Heard on the radio today that Avatar reached the billion dollar mark after 3 weeks making it the second movie to make a billion, and this was much quicker than the first.

Care to guess the first?

Titanic, of course by James Cameron as well specool.gif

Edit to add: I have been corrected and one site I went to gave these as the top ones over a billion: Dark Night 1.006 billion Pirates of the Carribean; Dead Man's Chest 1.060 billion, Lord of the Rings; Return of the King 1.129 billion, and then Titanic at 1.835 billion.

Edited by wildone

It is an awesome movie. I live in a conservative state and it's in an uproar here on campus, people saying how its a ridiculous movie about the annhilation of the Native Americans and that it's a movie to make us (and when I say us I mean they <the stupid white republicans> cause I ain't a white person plus I got no heart) feel bad. BAH! Damn stupid college republicans. (though not all of them are stupid...)

It is an awesome movie. I live in a conservative state and it's in an uproar here on campus, people saying how its a ridiculous movie about the annhilation of the Native Americans and that it's a movie to make us (and when I say us I mean they <the stupid white republicans> cause I ain't a white person plus I got no heart) feel bad. BAH! Damn stupid college republicans. (though not all of them are stupid...)

This is not a topic about the political aspects of the film. Perhaps if you want to talk about such aspects, The Soapbox will be better. ;)

*busts out some knowledge on everyone's asses*

And finally, for people who REALLY loved the movie...this isn't going to be the only one, Cameron's intentions are to produce an 'Epic Trilogy', so this isn't the last we've seen of Pandora ;)

Now this is what I am really not happy about. It used to be a bad habit that when something was popular, they made a sequel. Now since LOTR trilogy, when something is popular, they jump to a trilogy right away!

This movie is the absolute in movie-making. After a few minutes you are captivated by what is happening and never want to leave the movie theater anymore. This movie entertains the senses in every way possible and leaves you wondering about it for days to come after you've seen it.

Well... yes there are better "stories" out there but people who use that excuse to say Avatar is bad really have no idea what a movie is all about.

If I just want a good story, I read a book