Cool Quotations

"Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." ~ Unknown [often associated with Albert Camus].

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Dr. Seuss.

Or as my dentist would say "don't fuss about a bit of pain - it's just a case of mind over matter. I don't mind and you don't matter!

Riley J

Speaking of Twain:

It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress. --Mark Twain

My favorite is in my signature line but I am not sure who said it. I'm thinking it was P. T. Barnum.

Your quote is generally attributed to Abraham Lincoln.

On a side note and kind of related to another thread about mis-attribution of quotes there is a really cool book I saw at Borders the other day, The Book of General Ignorance. It is about things we assume to be true because everyone says it, like "Mt. Everest is the tallest mountain", which it really isn't.

The problem with defending the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James D. Nicholl

I thought about building you a boat to survive the river of tears I'm crying for you even as we speak, but the world's smallest violins just aren't a reliable source of lumber, and that cross you're nailing yourself to seems like it'd be buoyant enough anyway.

Because I'm a massive sap, a few orphaned poetry quotes:

Then it is only kindness that makes sense anymore,

only kindness that ties your shoes

and sends you out into the day to mail letters and purchase bread - Kindness, Naomi Shihab Nye

Even now, when skin is not alone,

it remembers being alone and thanks something larger

that there are travelers, that people go places

larger than themselves. - Two Countries, Naomi Shihab Nye

my one hand holding tight

my other hand; come celebrate

with me that everyday

something has tried to kill me

and has failed. - won't you celebrate with me, Lucille Clifton

• 2 months later...

Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice. friendship is the voluntary glue that holds together the hearts of complete strangers, making them family by choice. you may have found and lostit but remmember, when love dies you don't have to die with it. Money can buy you a fine dog, but only love, can make it wag it's tale.

its not the snake bite that kills, it's the spread of poison

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

That's called CONGRESS

The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the republic.

-Tacticus

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant".

- Robert McCloskey

(this is a good quote to use if you want to make a high person stare into space for a little while)

• Site Administrator

A few sayings from the Dove Chocolate collection:

Life -- it's not like the brochure

Money talks, but chocolate sings

When in doubt, mumble. When in trouble, delegate

If your chocolate melts, you're eating too slowly

The Portal voice-over is hillarious, but lots of good ones have been said already so i wont add more.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. - H. P. Lovecraft

We accept the love we think we deserve - Stephen Chbosky

The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're freeing your soul...Relax - Jacob's Ladder/UNKLE/Dante's Inferno

Levi always said if the world could capture the truth in a photo, there'd be no reason to paint - Anonymous

I'm afraid that my love is being

sucked and swallowed

like a morbid blowjob - Anonymous :lol:

Oscar Wilde

- I always like to know everything about my new friends, and nothing about my old ones -

- I am not young enough to know everything -

- Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation -

- A man can be happy with any woman.....as long as he does not love her - (lol...I found this one funny)

- Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative -

- Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months -

- I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma.

.....In the afternoon, I put it back again -

I like tons of authors/quotes. This was just a few from Oscar Wilde. I might come back with a few other from him, as well as other intriguing individuals.

Edited by Timmy
  • 4 weeks later...

life shouldn't be measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away. sometimes the one you love is the one who hurts you most and the friend who takes you into his arms and cries when you cry is the one you never knew you really needed.

It isn't who we are, it's what we do that defines us

~ Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

Better one big enemy you can see than many little ones you can't

~ Mandalorian Proverb, Star Wars Extended Universe

[One] Who writes, remains.

Family is more than Blood

Only idiots poke the Dragon before he has eaten.

~ Me, 2010, referring to anyone daring to attempt logical speech with me

first thing in the morning.