until this day, i was looking at "dancing bare" by Rigby Taylor as a potential reading material after its copletion. today, all thoughts of reading anything from this outhor ever again, vanished from my mind, when i screened through the latest chapter, seeing as it addressed my area of living, and found the crap written there.

i never thought such a thing would pass a review of anyone reviews stories before them being posted. so im going to address each issue of this chapter here, as addition to the report.

"Women with painted lips and faces wearing revealing clothes designed to sexually arouse were deeply shocking. Everywhere huge advertising hoardings, vulgarity, commercial activity. Cars, noise, western music and obscene graffiti! All senses were assaulted and I despised my own culture which the Israelis had brought with them when they migrated from Europe and the U.S.A.. "

the outhor describes the protagonists visit in new Jerusalem. uhhh.... so? is it wrong for modern cultures to act...... modern? is there any free place anymore where women are not allowed to do as they please, or considered sexual human beings, same as men? is there something wrong with modernizing a country or should we all continue to be stuck in the middle ages?

"Perhaps the biggest surprise was that Israelis were not Semitic. My nose was still larger than most!"

racist much? Semitic will be those who came from Abraham, aka arabs and Hebrews. Jewish people are Semitic. breeding with other ethnics for centuries is another issue, and nose? seriously?

"Many years later I learned that ninety percent of Israeli Jews are descended from Ashkenazy Jews who originate in central Europe, converting to Judaism in the middle ages in the vain hope of avoiding war. As they have no ancestral links to Palestine, it is unsurprising they have no regard for the land and only contempt for the history and culture of the original inhabitants."

converting to Judaism in vain hope of avoiding a war with whom, exactly? more like many of the exiled Hebrews converting (for real and/or still practicing Judaism in secret) to Christians in order to not being slaughtered. as for ancestral link to the land, like hello? exiled Hebrews from the promised land is the whole idea of why we got Israel in the first place, and as for regard to the land, no one would be serving a 2-3 year service in the military, like every 18 year old does in Israel, if they had "no regard to the land".

having military service in the IDF or national service or any other govermental service as the next step after highschool, kinda proves that we do care.

contemt for the history and culture? more like being thought the history of the land, the people, AND our neighbors from kindergarten to 12th grade by songs, customs, and plain school classes!

"Israeli social workers took me to Hebron

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

in conclusion, that was the most horrifying research work i had ever seen, if there was any research done, and basically the definition of the phrase "political propaganda" against Israel. i am still a proud, if exasperated and tired and "oh-help-me-god-if-those-six-months-will-not-fly-by-i-am-so-killing-my-psycho-shift-commander" IAF soldier with half a year to go.

Well now I know why this story is no longer listed at GA! ---- One of these is mine :thumbdown:

Since this work was autobiographical I doubt that any research was required! :angry:

Firstly may I comment that it is clear, very clear that you feel strongly about this. However, I have to say that I really enjoyed the story. That's what it was, a story. I roamed far and wide across the globe and it was the autobiographical musings of the person who was there.

I know there is a lot of history and pride involved with the whole issue of Israeli identity. . I am not even going to begin to comment on any of it because I really don't understand it and don't want to tread on anyone's toes. Being Welsh I know all about occupation and independence. This story is not about that.

This story is about a great adventure and the personal musings of the person who went on the adventure. It was about HIS preconceptions and observations and not a treatise on the political aspects.

Okay perhaps he was not entirely politically correct but the errors were in his education about the culture and politics involved... education which I am ready to admit that I also lack. I cannot see how it is right to accuse him of propoganda and racism. In my book both require agenda and intent.

If I took offence every time anyone suggested that Welshmen get overly fond of sheep, or that I should forget the past, forget the fact that we are still a Principality of England and under occupation by the English.. and move on... then I would spend half my life offended.

I think this was an overreaction and if the story has been removed then it is a great shame because it is charming, whimsical and not political. However, you are the one who has now made the whole thing political.

Again I understand strong feelings, I have expressed myself here often, and strongly enough, but I think this went too far.

• Like 2

i guess i can see why you may think i reacted strongly about it, or accusing me of turning this to a political issue, but there are some things i simply cannot stand seeing on a website this size and reputation.

the content does touch an ongoing political issue, that I, as one who is directly affected by any move in it, just can't ignore something like this, that's simply screaming at me from the screen.

I was educated that ignoring some comments, or taking some issues lightly might go a long way towards disaster, so forgive me for acting on my believes, which i assume on all other aspects of my life. i wouldn't have commented on this if it was any other site. i make sure to stay way clear of the youtube comments sections, and after i had to berate some of my friends, i stay away from certain Israeli forums who's members offend in any way other nations in similar way to this.

but i am sorry for turning this to political grounds, i simply couldn't stand seeing something like this online, and didnt think.

Edited by Moritana

Have no doubt that you have an absolute right to defend your beliefs in as passionate a way as you wish... passion is good, very good and should always be expressed and never suppressed.

My gripe is that this is an attack on a story that I don't think deserves it. I would totally understand if you spoke generally, but I am concerned about the fact that is is a direct attack on someone.

As a writer who often attacks controvertial subects I, myself open myself to attack and it is always a fear. When a writer puts a story on a page, more especially when it's about something that happened directly to themselves it is like putting a part of you out there in the world for anyone to use as they will. That makes us very vulnerable.

Personally I have no problem with criticism but an outright attack, being accused of racism and prejudice in such a public place and way... I'm sorry but I think that's out of order.

I don't have a problem with what you said but I do have a problem with the way you said it.

For one thing I think this should have been put in the soapbox which is the place for political discussion. People are more used to strong emotion being expressed in there. I appreciate that you wouldn't have known that but I am surprised that the mods havent moved it.

For another I think you should have either been more general or made the comments in private.

That's just me

as I said, I am sorry for turning this political, i really am more used to forums and sites that prevent such content from reaching the screen in the first place, mindful of different communities that roam the sites. I guess I blame the shock of reading it first thing in the morning, and being the hot head that I am for the strong reply.

as for attacking the story specifically, read above, and I really saw those specific parts of that chapter as an attack on me personally.

experience and education usually make me respond strongly for any kind of attack on myself, my family and friends, and I was actually sworn to protect my country until death- I take verbal and written attack the same as I take physical attack.

how would you have reacted if you found a story here, clearly stating that you, your family, and your friends have no respect or regard for a land you have sworn to love, appreciate, and defend until death?

could you keep a professional response about general stories, when every day you work until oblivion to keep it safe?

Edited by Moritana

as I said, I am sorry for turning this political, i really am more used to forums and sites that prevent such content from reaching the screen in the first place, mindful of different communities that roam the sites. I guess I blame the shock of reading it first thing in the morning, and being the hot head that I am for the strong reply.

as for attacking the story specifically, read above, and I really saw those specific parts of that chapter as an attack on me personally.

experience and education usually make me respond strongly for any kind of attack on myself, my family and friends, and I was actually sworn to protect my country until death- I take verbal and written attack the same as I take physical attack.

how would you have reacted if you found a story here, clearly stating that you, your family, and your friends have no respect or regard for a land you have sworn to love, appreciate, and defend until death?

could you keep a professional response about general stories, when every day you work until oblivion to keep it safe?

And with that said -- you think it justifies your trashing of a delightful story and it's removal from GA. You have deprived the readers here of the enjoyment of Dancing Bare! And to what end? To satisfy the assumed personal physical attack of a hot headed reader?

You should be subjected to the rereading, to completion, of Dancing Bare - then rethinking of your comments and the issuing of a public apology to the author.

I'm sorry if I am ranting but don't think the author should have been subjected to this punishment. I am only stating what he couldn't really do.

GO RIGBY TAYOR :wub::hug:

Edited by Eddy
  • Like 1

I've just checked and it seems as if not only the story but Rigby himself has vanished. That is one of the saddest things I have come across here for a long time.

I very much hope that if he has gone he had jumped and was not pushed, although the fact that he has been forced off the forum at all is sad and scary.

I wrote a complete response and then deleted it... because I appreciate that sometimes it's best not to go with the guts when he head's out to lunch

Moritana.

I was 23 years old, a politically innocent young man from New Zealand, experiencing the world in 1964. After months living among the open friendliness and hospitable simplicity of North Africa and the Middle East, the shock of a sudden confrontation with western 'culture' and liberated women in New Jerusalem was immense, and I tried to communicate that in my tale. I deplore the ongoing repression of women world wide, and support Belgium and France in their efforts to prevent abuse.

I suggest you Google Ashkenazy Jews to see their origins, and check on the meaning of Semitic. It is a word used to describe the people who originate in the area known as Palestine. The fact that Jews have appropriated the word to mean Jewish, does not change the fact.

I do not think Israelis don't appreciate their country

• Like 2

Moritana.

Why on earth didn't you PM me, or write something on the review? Why leap into a public attack?

I must apologise. I read a few of your early chapters, and the UK chapters echoed my experiences, and I put it for reading when it was complete. I do not generally not do reviews as I do not know good from bad, When I saw Moritana post, I saw it as a typically Zionist political rant. And I hoped, that people would ignore it and the post would waste away, and hoped you would not see it.

Personally, I knew it was autobiographic, and I though your reactions were exactly as I would have had, since my experience of the Arab world against the western was similar.

My great thanks for that link

I must apologise. I read a few of your early chapters, and the UK chapters echoed my experiences, and I put it for reading when it was complete. I do not generally not do reviews as I do not know good from bad, When I saw Moritana post, I saw it as a typically Zionist political rant. And I hoped, that people would ignore it and the post would waste away, and hoped you would not see it.

Personally, I knew it was autobiographic, and I though your reactions were exactly as I would have had, since my experience of the Arab world against the western was similar.

My great thanks for that link

Thanks, RED A... if youve any trouble with the link email me and I'll send you the book as an attachment. As for reviews... Your opinions are exactly as good and important as anyone elses.. be brave. :2thumbs: