I fancy a burger now...

Just found this on Pink News.co.uk

McDonald's says the aim of the ad is to show that everyone is welcome in its restaurants. It has the slogan "Come as you are".

What do you think? tongue.gif

• Like 2

I thought being gay in France and places like that wasn't a big deal? Why isn't he out to his father?

I like the ad, but I would have been more impressed with it if his father at looked at the picture and said, "you look just like me at that age, quite the handsome lad", followed up by "that Marcel is quite nice looking too, don't you think?" Indicating that his father had noticed who he hung out with, that he understood what was between them and that it was okay.

• Like 1

I thought being gay in France and places like that wasn't a big deal? Why isn't he out to his father?

I like the ad, but I would have been more impressed with it if his father at looked at the picture and said, "you look just like me at that age, quite the handsome lad", followed up by "that Marcel is quite nice looking too, don't you think?" Indicating that his father had noticed who he hung out with, that he understood what was between them and that it was okay.

I actually liked the commercial with the dad being totally clueless! :2thumbs:

"More accepted" does not equal "totally accepted." Like anywhere, location, history, family, it all comes into play. Have you seen a McDo ad like this in the US yet? It's progress, be happy with that.

I thought this is a fantastic ad, the music and atmosphere are great. It's much too slow paced and intellectual for the US advertisement market. Not an insult to Americans, just a note from the current advertising climate here.

Just found this on Pink News.co.uk

What do you think? tongue.gif

This also came up in Soapbox. I like the ad and I like the kid. Cute.

Come on! It's a McDonald's commercial not a soap opera. But taking your idea a little further, it would be interesting if McDonald's did some more spots extending the story line into what you suggest. Like Taster's Choice did in their coffee ads.

That old guy never looked that good.biggrin.gif

Come on Mark. Everyone has their moment. You know, when all the planets aline and the light is just so and they are just downright gorgeous!

Who says the father doesn't know, it would be weird if your dad said " that [insert name of your boyfriend] is quite nice looking too, don't you think?", it would just be an awkward moment, not to say a creepy commercial. Plus, I like it because it's not "In you're face, we support gay people, buy food from us!" It's calm and nice..... Now I'm gonna go buy McDo.... :P

Who says the father doesn't know, it would be weird if your dad said " that [insert name of your boyfriend] is quite nice looking too, don't you think?", it would just be an awkward moment, not to say a creepy commercial. Plus, I like it because it's not "In you're face, we support gay people, buy food from us!" It's calm and nice..... Now I'm gonna go buy McDo.... :P

So think of the extension of your line of thinking.... if the father DOES know and says "it is too bad your class is all boys, you could get all the girls", that is just awful, it means he doesn't accept his son's sexuality. In saying to his son "that Marcel is quite nice looking too, don't you think?" he would gently be prodding his son and saying, I know and it is okay. I don't find it awkward or creepy, if my parents had let me know a lot earlier they knew and they were okay with me as I was, it would have saved me a lot of sneaking around.

And DON'T buy fast food..... you'll wreck your girlish figure tongue.gif

Read AdWeek's Take on the Commercial

Edited by PrivateTim

We talked about this advert in Chat a few days ago. I think it's brilliant, although you certainly wouldn't see it on British TV, let alone American.

And does the Dad know about his son's sexuality - no, of course he doesn't. That's part of the very subtle undertones of the relationships that the boy is trying to hold together - the fleeting sadness you see in him, with the bf on the phone on one side and his father on the other. And yet he loves them both, but the two worlds haven't been able to meet....yet.

What will it take. Courage? Honesty? You can get all those AND a Double Mac at MacDonalds!

Riley

• Like 3

We talked about this advert in Chat a few days ago. I think it's brilliant, although you certainly wouldn't see it on British TV, let alone American.

And does the Dad know about his son's sexuality - no, of course he doesn't. That's part of the very subtle undertones of the relationships that the boy is trying to hold together - the fleeting sadness you see in him, with the bf on the phone on one side and his father on the other. And yet he loves them both, but the two worlds haven't been able to meet....yet.

What will it take. Courage? Honesty? You can get all those AND a Double Mac at MacDonalds!

Riley

I totally agree. I hope I am alive to see something like this on American tv one day. I love my country but it can be so darn crapy sometimes....I really want a Big Mac now...

Riley

Very well spoken Riley.

I live in the most socially liberal province having the highest support for gay marriage on the continent and it's still not unheard of to hear stories about homophobic bullying and homophobia, most especially out in the rural regions and small towns. For example, 2/3 of the Quebeckers said in a poll that they would be uncomfortable seeing gays kissing or sending their kids to class having a gay teacher.

I've never experienced it though, despite living here for five years now.

It's the same thing in France as well as other Western countries. The parents may mind their own business about the others' sexuality, but when it comes to their kids, it's a whole another story ("not my kids mentality").

Edited by Jack Frost
  • Like 1

The response to the ad has been generally positive in the gay media here in France. Obviously, some people complained that it wasn't going forward enough, and that the kid should have been out to his father.

Frankly, I think it's more realistic the way it is. There are more high-school teenage boys still in the closet, or still questioning who they are, than there are who are out to their families. Besides, the father is not homophobic, he just can't see what's in front of him or fathom a different reality. He certainly isn't the first father to be that way.

Apparently, the adverstisement team had come up with a "coming out" scenario as well, but it was discarded

• Like 1

On the slightly lighter side (to get the bad taste of this Bill O"Reilly **** out of my mouth), it has to be said that the tag line of the commercial is rather cutely tantalising, as we're encouraged to:

"Come as you are!"

Isn't that delightful! innocent.gif

I wonder whether it was some kind of tongue-in-cheek smile that came to the producers when they decided on that one! And before you ask - cos I know you're going to - who's cheek might that have been, English is my language and I'll play with it as much as I want to! For goodness sake, the Queen (who is actually a terribly good friend) practically invented it!

And before you ask, which Queen we're talking about here.....let's just not go there.....OK?

Riley

On the slightly lighter side (to get the bad taste of this Bill O"Reilly **** out of my mouth), it has to be said that the tag line of the commercial is rather cutely tantalising, as we're encouraged to:

"Come as you are!"

I wonder whether it was some kind of tongue-in-cheek smile that came to the producers when they decided on that one! And before you ask - cos I know you're going to - who's cheek might that have been, English is my language and I'll play with it as much as I want to! For goodness sake, the Queen (who is actually a terribly good friend) practically invented it!

And before you ask, which Queen we're talking about here.....let's just not go there.....OK?

Riley

The "Come as you are" campaign has actually been ongoing since 2008.

mcdonalds-come-as-you-print-ad-campaign.jpg

Here is one of the early "Venez Commes Vous Etes" (Come as you are) video ads.

"Come as you are!"

*collapses on the floor suffering from a major giggling fit*

I didn't think of it like *that*. ;D

Since you mentioned it... The French title can carry the same tongue-in-cheek meaning as far as I could read it. o,o

Since you mentioned it... The French title can carry the same tongue-in-cheek meaning as far as I could read it. o,o

Hmmmm, except that "venez" (come) rarely carries a sexual innuendo. Does it in Quebec?

Hmmmm, except that "venez" (come) rarely carries a sexual innuendo. Does it in Quebec?

It can, but it'd be anglicism. It would be very obvious to the Quebeckers if one says "nous venons ensemble" or "je viens entre ses seins". ;P I don't know about the European speakers... so... ^^

But that McDo advert, I read it over and over and I can't get the "tongue-in-cheek" meaning in French now. So yeah, I would agree it would be lost in translation. I wasn't sure for the first time when Riley mentioned it. English was clouding my French thoughts then. :D

Edited by Jack Frost