Dogs with aggressive reputations

I'm not going to bother with a poll, because there are too many dog breeds to list. However, I will list some that people often consider aggressive and a couple that I know can be aggressive. I'm going to share my thoughts on some breeds often considered aggressive along with my opinion and what experts say about the breeds. Keep in mind that I am not a dog expert and that I had to look some of this stuff up.

I've noticed that most of these breeds are considered intelligent:

Pit bull- There are actually three kinds of pit bulls (see below). These three breeds are often used for as fighting dogs. This fact adds to their bad reputation. It's a sad situation, because it's really not their fault.

• American Pitbull Terrier- This breed is the one most often called a pitbull. For anyone who's actually owned one (and not taken it to fights), it's known for being fiercely loyal and is actually good around children. They are the largest type of pitbull, but they're still definitely considered a medium breed. They're also highly intelligent and thus highly receptive to advanced obedience training.

american-pit-bull-terrier.jpg

• American Staffordshire Terrier- This breed is actually known to have a better temperament than popular breeds like cocker spaniels, beagles, and collies. They are extremely human-oriented, friendly, and relatively easy to train... hardly a nightmare breed.

amstaff1.jpg

• Staffordshire bull terrier- This is my favorite type of pitbull, and the one I have the most experience with. Again, they're not aggressive (unless trained for fighting). They are extremely intelligent dogs. They're also known for courage, which makes them protective family dogs.

StaffBullTerradult5.jpg

I strongly believe that the temperament of any pitbull is dependent upon the owner. If they're treated well, they won't hurt anyone. I'd say it's probably best to keep them away from very small children, as they may not appreciate children rough-housing with them too much. Beyond that, they're actually good dogs. However, it's not recommended to get one with any history of fighting and/or abuse unless you REALLY know what you're doing.

German Shepherds- This is another intelligent, strong breed. In fact, they are ranked as the second most intelligent breed behind border collies. It seems that the Germans have created several breeds that are good for herding, and this one is the most well-known. They are often used as police dogs for three reasons: 1) good for advanced training 2) strong and 3) loyal. They're also used as guard dogs for the very same reasons. They're highly intelligent and actually good for children that they know. They're a high-energy breed and should be given lots of exercise (both mental and physical). They also tend to become overprotective if not properly socialized.

Rottweiler- Again, this is a German herding dog, one that's known for being energetic and fiercely protective. Generally they're normally well-behaved around humans, especially if they're given something to do. However, they are especially dangerous if not raised correctly as they are very strong. They are in second place as far as breeds responsible for fatal attacks against humans behind pitbulls (not sure which kind).

Doberman Pinscher- They were bred as guard dogs. They can, however, be trained only to exhibit aggressive behavior on command and are not aggressive towards their owners. They are considered the fifth most intelligent dog breed behind Golden Retrievers, German Shepherds, Poodles, and Border Collies.

Chihuahuas- This is the one that I would most likely not ever own. For one thing, they are not generally friendly around children. As for their behavior problems, I think (as in all cases) that it is because of bad owners who coddle them and let them get away with stuff that they don't tolerate from larger breeds. That's not to say, however, that it is impossible to have a good one. I've known at least two that were very good dogs, except one of them did bark too much.

Dachshund- Although this is one of my favorite breeds, I know that it is not one to raise around small children (as in kindergarten to first grade and below). Dachshunds are impatient and often difficult to train. It's not because they lack intelligence. Rather, it is because they are stubborn. If not raised properly, they will bite people, especially small children. Around people they know and love, however, they are very lovable. They crave lots of attention.

I could list others that people think of as aggressive, but I think I've mentioned the ones most generally considered aggressive as well as two (chihuahuas and dachshunds) that often exhibits aggressive behavior even though people often overlook their bad behavior (which includes growling, loud barking, and biting). The bottom line, in my view, is that there are a few main issues when it comes to dogs. 1) Some people don't know how to raise dogs. 2) Some people breed strong breeds like pitbulls and rottweilers for dog fighting, which causes extremely aggressive behavior. 3) Some people neglect dogs. 4) Some people get the wrong kind of dog for their family/lifestyle. 5) People usually decide to buy a puppy first even though a well-balanced adult dog is often a better choice for a first dog as they can help teach the puppies how to behave properly even if they are different breeds.

All of these problems I listed are caused by humans, not dogs. I was wondering. Does everyone agree with me, that the reasons for aggression in dogs is almost always caused by humans, either through stupidity or outright mistreatment?

To a certain extent dog behaviour is caused by humans. But then again, they are animals bred for war and hunting, descended from wolves! So you have to question how much of that behaviour is actually inherent in them.

Dogs which attack people should be put down as defective, because whoever's fault that is.. they are defective (or living within their undesirable genetic makeup.. either way) and there is no curing that.

I'm no fan of dogs.

They are fine in other peoples yards under control but that's not what I see every day. I see aggressive dog packs wandering the neighborhoods. This year two small children have been mauled to death.

A pit bull is every bit as dangerous as a .44 magnum so why don't we license them? Why isn't insurance required?

A few nights ago I saw a cat torn to pieces by one of these dog packs.

Last year I killed a pit that was after my 80 year old mother.

Sooner or later it is going to be another kid or elderly person.

Dogs are what they are. I don't blame them. I blame the son of a bitches that get them as status symbols, train them to be mean and then handle them irresponsibly. They are the ones that need to be neutered.

@ Jamessavic

So basically you agree with Tiger - it isn't the fault of the dog, it is the fault of the owner. The dogs themselves are blameless in this and it is the owners that turn them violent.

Also, on a bit of a side note - thats a lot of incidents where you live. Have the laws regarding pitbull ownership changed in response to this? (You'd expect the local papers to kick up a fuss at the very least.)

Martin

A pit bull is every bit as dangerous as a .44 magnum so why don't we license them? Why isn't insurance required?

Hmm. Possible one could obtain a Concealed Canine Carrying Permit?

They are fine in other peoples yards under control but that's not what I see every day. I see aggressive dog packs wandering the neighborhoods. This year two small children have been mauled to death.

I'm surprised No Tolerance laws haven't been instituted; in England they'd be put into place long before things reached this level. Are there any local articles about the attacks that might shed some light on why there hasn't been legal intervention?

dog out in the streets are agressive little pricks. they became wild in a pack. we have tons of them here. when singled out they are like some cowardy puppies but in a pack they will rush towards u bark n will to hurt and etc. almost like humans bullies lol.

best way if to put them down as some have rabies and etc. there weird a few cases where they totally bitten pple to death or series injuries.

i guess like humans when they are out n about in a pack they think they be do anything. *brings out the shot gun* think twices bitchies >:)

Pit bulls do need to be properly trained, and when they are, they tend to be balanced and actually less aggressive than the average dog breed. The problem is that they do pack a wallop. Pit bulls can actually be trained to take down large animals like cattle and horses. It is because they tend to have very stocky builds and are packed with muscles. Because they are a type of bulldog, they have the ability to lock their jaws on the target. If they're taught to go for vital areas like a carotid artery, they are extremely dangerous. They're also terriers, which makes them fearless hunters. At the same time, their terrier bloodlines make them intelligent, easy to train, and eager to please their masters. If trained to do something good like becoming therapy dogs, they are quite gentle and are not apt towards aggression at all. If trained to kill for their masters, they are downright terrifying. The human element is the key to whether or not pit bulls are bad. Unfortunately, the one who tried to attack James' mother was one that was not trained properly. Sometimes I wonder if it's the owners who need to be shot. <_<

• Site Administrator

I have a 100 pound doberman. He's very very well trained. We taught him all the common commands, sit, down, stay, come. The fun ones, shake, little speak, big speak, high five, smile. Then we taught him the safety commands, he stops playing instantly if someone says 'Ow!", he will actually nibble food out of a hand with his lips, you can pull his ears, his tail, take his food, his treats and he doesn't blink an eye. He was 3 when I had my first baby and 5 with my second. He's very protective of them, always insists on going in the backyard if they are out there and has never once attacked another animal that has either been in his yard or that we've taken him to. He even plays with our 13 pound cat and runs away from him. That being said... he's big, scary looking when he growls and is very protective of my family. Which makes him ideal for protection.

We have guard dog signs up on my double gate and house. If someone I don't know comes to the door my dog comes with me to answer it. They can't say I didn't warn them when they walk right up to a sign by the door. But... I've been chased by dobermans and pit bulls. For these types of dogs running is the worst thing you can do. I stood against them and they backed off. A lone dog typically will. A pack, well those pretty much just have to be put down, especially once they become accustomed to enforcing their territorial dominance by violence. My family's mantra has always been, there is no room in this world for a dog that bites. I support that wholeheartedly.

That being said, most dogs have reasons for being aggressive. They were either abused and snap out of fear or were taught to be aggressive. Has anyone ever seen a puppy that was feral? Most likely not. There is a reason for that.

Dachshund- Although this is one of my favorite breeds, I know that it is not one to raise around small children (as in kindergarten to first grade and below). Dachshunds are impatient and often difficult to train. It's not because they lack intelligence. Rather, it is because they are stubborn. If not raised properly, they will bite people, especially small children. Around people they know and love, however, they are very lovable. They crave lots of attention.

Oh you better believe that they're stubborn as f**k. :P

I grew up with dachshunds and only one would bite sometimes (but not badly... just softly like to grab your jeans). He never bit little kids though.

Dachshunds are small, but jesus... they do think big. My old one nearly went after a f**king rottweiler. :D Thank god I was watching him when he went after it.

Bella (my sister did that, not me). She's the baby.

18058_459638075227_668865227_10890172_5867969_n.jpg

Jake and Dillon (they're brothers)

6460_265848250227_668865227_8564135_3251011_n.jpg

MY BABIES!!!! :wub:

Edited by Jack Frost

The think with Rottweilers, German Shepard, Dobermans, and Pit Bulls is their genetics are so clouded with aggressive blood lines. They were all bred into being these large, hard mouthed, protective or fighting dogs. The common usage of the Pitt Bull Terrier is to protect property or fight. So the "best" protectors and the "best" fighters are the ones that carry on the genes more so than the cuddle/loving characteristics. In essence we have mostly eliminated the lighter characteristic of a lot of breeds of dogs. Likely close to or the same blood lines that every owner of a pit bull and so on will own whether they want to or not, it is in the dog.

These breeds aren't usually sought out by the normal dog owner, they typically mostly still do what they were bred to do.

As for the Dachshund they're hunting dogs. They take on anything from a fox to a badger so they had to be tough. It is difficult to breed out those characteristics when they were so selective in the past.

That doesn't mean that we're at fault though, these traits served a purpose or the dogs never would have existed. They may not have been a "glorious" purpose though. We like to point the blame at the "now" owners, and yeah bad owners do make bad pets, but it is also in the genetic make-up.

That doesn't mean that these dogs cannot be nice... I've been around a 180 lbs of solid Rottweiler and he was a teddy bear around the entire family, even letting their baby ride him like a pony... The tendencies are still there no matter who the owner is though. All dogs have their quirks, but you can research and a lot of things will be similar within the breed.

I don't really trust a Pit Bull, not around children or the elderly especially. There is always exceptions but, no. If I lived alone or with one other adult human, no other animals or no children I wouldn't rule out owning one. I know what I would be getting into, but the average owner definitely doesn't need to own any of the dogs I discussed - maybe except for the Dachshund or Chihuahua and that's only because of their size.

I hate seeing people pick out a dog that is bred to be this hard working, loyal, but protective breeds, the hyper active breeds, and try to turn them into these whimpering couch potato dogs. I would much rather see the Herding dogs out herding things. The hunting dogs hunting than any of them tearing up the house, the property, the lawn, because they have too much intelligence, energy, and hardened bred instincts and characteristics for their owners to handle. I don't condone PitBull fighting though... that's probably a double standard I can get away with. :P

I'm no fan of dogs.

Sooner or later it is going to be another kid or elderly person.

Dogs are what they are. I don't blame them. I blame the son of a bitches that get them as status symbols, train them to be mean and then handle them irresponsibly. They are the ones that need to be neutered.

You mean we can use them to get rid of old people?

• Like 1

My boyfriend has two dogs: a basset hound and a rottweiler. I don't know about the basset hound, but his rottweiler, Scooter, helps him herd up animals at his dad's farm, and he has him very well trained (he's almost a year old). He's also very gentle, unlike those vicious chihuahua rats that live next door.

Oh, and together, Chris and his dog breaks hearts. :wub:

The problem I am seeing here is that a lot of people recognise that a dog was bred for hunting or protective purposes... but then assume that this makes the dog inherently violent. It really doesn't. Think about it - if you are going to breed dogs to be large, strong and good at fighting then you also make them obedient. All of these dogs are generally intelligent and are all very good for obedience when trained correctly.

You don't breed a large dog that will turn on its owner.

Martin

To my knowledge, hunting and guard dogs are not bred for aggression; the last character trait you want in a large, powerful dog is uncontrollability. It would be akin to breeding the tendency to chase into a sheepdog.

Chihuahua's get an unfairly bad rap, in my opinion. When they're well trained they're perfectly lovely creatures, but prone to the same problems as most small dogs. Many owners encourage or ignore a small dogs bad behaviour because it's 'cute' or 'harmless', but barking or hostility from a small breed is often because their size makes them feel vulnerable. Ignoring this in a dog results in both a dangerous animal and an unhappy, frightened one.

I agree with the general sentiment that almost all bad dog behaviours come from bad owners or a lack of owners. It really is such a shame that dogs that misbehave are just put down. If there were rehabilitation centers a lot of those dogs could go to a home that is suited for their needs. I'm sure that the majority of dog owners are not training their dogs properly. Small dogs get away with being annoying little brats because owners treat them like toys or can't be bothered to govern their behaviour. Most owners try once or twice to change a bad behaviour and then give up and cater their lives around their dog's peculiarities. All dogs are highly trainable, especially when you compare them to other breeds of pets, and anyone who says they can't change their dog's bad behaviour is lazy and ignorant, and anyone who indulges their dog's bad behaviour is a weak willed idiot.

I hate that many people treat their dog like a child or a spouse. Anthropomorphizing dogs is the biggest cause of bad behaviours. Dogs are not self aware and do not anticipate their future selves. They do not need a lot of the mollycoddling they're given, and they do not understand the concept of love, so don't think your dog does all that stuff to please you and gain a sense of self worth like a child or spouse would. They respond to their basic needs and instincts and are happy when their needs are met. If people were taught this as well as basic operant conditioning theories for training animals before getting a dog, then everyone would be much better off.

This is a dog.

golden-retriever.jpg

I love golden retrievers! They're among my favorite breeds. There are the best working dogs. I find them amazing.

This is a yappy little dust mop with dog breath.

shihtzu.jpg

Shihtzus are high maintenance. 'nuff said.

They do not need a lot of the mollycoddling they're given, and they do not understand the concept of love, so don't think your dog does all that stuff to please you and gain a sense of self worth like a child or spouse would. They respond to their basic needs and instincts and are happy when their needs are met.

Out of curiosity: does the no-love rule only count for dog-human interactions or is it also apply to intra-canine relationships? Because in my experience dogs certainly grieve the loss of a longtime fellow companion, which would indicate at least strong affection.

(Also, isn't there serious scientific contention over what makes a creature 'self-aware'?)

I've never owned a "aggressive" dog breed. I've only had black, chocolate, and yellow labs. They are great family dogs, very loyal, and like to run around and play. Although I plan on sticking to cats in the future. :P

They do not need a lot of the mollycoddling they're given, and they do not understand the concept of love, so don't think your dog does all that stuff to please you and gain a sense of self worth like a child or spouse would. They respond to their basic needs and instincts and are happy when their needs are met. If people were taught this as well as basic operant conditioning theories for training animals before getting a dog, then everyone would be much better off.

That is false. Dogs are the only animals that will look humans straight into the eyes. That may seem insignificant, but it is anything but. Humans have a bond with dogs that we can only otherwise have with other humans. That eye contact causes dogs and humans alive to release oxytocin into the bloodstream, which creates the kind of bond that mothers and children have. It is very real and very mutual. Dogs love pleasing humans for that reason. Dogs also seem to form similar bonds with other animals. For example, if you raise a dog with goats, the dog will protect and love the goats, despite the fact that dogs could just as easily prey upon the goats instead.

That is false. Dogs are the only animals that will look humans straight into the eyes. That may seem insignificant, but it is anything but. Humans have a bond with dogs that we can only otherwise have with other humans. That eye contact causes dogs and humans alive to release oxytocin into the bloodstream, which creates the kind of bond that mothers and children have. It is very real and very mutual. Dogs love pleasing humans for that reason. Dogs also seem to form similar bonds with other animals. For example, if you raise a dog with goats, the dog will protect and love the goats, despite the fact that dogs could just as easily prey upon the goats instead.

I agree, I watched a show on Nat. Geo about that. ;) Chimpanzees and other primates divert their eyes from us, but a dog will meet eye contact. Even following our gaze to see what we're looking at, and etc. So they've made a bond with humans, definitely.

I'm no fan of dogs as a general rule. To me they're way too needy in the attention department. But I once owned a Pit Bull Terrier who was the most endearing dog I've ever met. He was loyal and protective to a fault. but he was very smart and perceptive. He knew who was supposed to be in my yard and who wasn't. At the time I lived with my older sister and her three boys (they were ages 18 mos, 2 and 4 at the time) They played with him and their dog (a stray we found as a puppy who is definitely more than half coyote) They would climb on him, bounce on his back, pull his ears and tail, and dump dirt on his head. He just laid there and took it, his only reaction was an occasional kiss and wag of the tail. He loved playing with them and always got excited when it was play time. He's the only dog my family ever owned they understood that he couldn't jump up on a small child no matter how excited he was because it would hurt them. Unfortunately, he was very smart and easily escaped my sister's yard on a daily basis. The neighbor's were none too pleased. And even though many neighborhood dogs roamed the streets with no complaints, they complained about him. Based mostly on the perception of pit bulls as violent animals. One particular neighbor claimed he bit her, but never showed us a wound or even tried to press charges (criminal or civil) so I highly doubt it. Nobody ever complained about the other dog getting out, even though it's obvious he's more coyote than dog. They weren't scared of him, despite the fact that coyotes have been known to pull small children out their own back yards.

I got my Pit as a puppy. City ordinances where I lived void your home owners insurance for owning any variety of Pit Bull, so on his first vet visit, we had his breed registered as 'some type of Great Dane mix, we don't know for sure because the guy we got him from said he didn't know either' the vet obviously didn't believe us, but put that down anyway.

My dad is a huge fan of dogs so we've owned quite a few throughout my childhood. When I was younger, he bred and trained watch dogs, and I spent much of my early childhood surrounded by Pits Bulls, Rottweilers and Dobermans. I played with them all the time. Even dogs that were going to used as 'junk yard dogs'. My dad never restricted my playing with them. I've only ever seen one dog in my entire life suddenly 'turn vicious'. That was the only Chow we've ever owned. He growled at and bit my older brother when he was feeding him and then a few months later bit a neighbor kid while we were playing in our yard. My dad had the dog put down after that. I know the people down the road from me owned a Chow that was extremely mean. To the point where my mother wouldn't allow us to walk down the road in that direction, and the owners of the house left him there when they moved. I always felt sorry for that dog though, he didn't have ideal owners and I think that was his biggest problem. I've heard more horror stories of German Shepherds turning violent than any other animal. The wife of one of my dad's friends refuses to enter his yard unless his German Shepherd is restrained because she witnessed a German Shepherd literally eat the face off of her cousin when they were children. My sister's mother-in-law owns a German Shepherd who growls and snaps at everyone, even family members, and actually bit one of my nephews before he was even 2 years old. Why aren't more people afraid of German Shepherds?? Because usually it's not the breed, it's the dog and it's the owner. My sister's mother-in-law has never disciplined her dog for anything more than pooping on the carpet, even after if bit her toddler grandson.

I read comments from people who think all Pits are violent because of certain past experiences. I once saw my dad's half Pyrenees half Lab violently tear apart a chicken, and a rabbit. And I was once attacked, totally unprovoked, by a Labrador owned by my pastor when I was 11 years old (this dog was always mean though, and was well known for it in our church, she didn't just suddenly decide to attack me against her nature). Does this mean I think all Labs or Pyrenees are violent animals that one shouldn't be allowed to own? Not hardly. It doesn't even mean that I think my pastor is a bad person for owning a mean dog. She was a rescue dog, and really it showed his compassion that he wanted to try to work with her and make her better. My past experience with Chows doesn't really effect my opinions of them either, even though most breeders and trainers will warn you that it's in a Chow's nature to get meaner as it ages.

Dogs don't have the reputation of being 'man's best friend' for nothing. Dogs may be bred for many different purposes, from hunting, to herding, as service animals, and as guards, and each breed has characteristics specific to it's purpose. However. one quality that is never bred out of dogs is their loyalty, their friendliness and playfulness. Breeders take great pains to maintain these qualities. Any dog can turn vicious through being neglected and abused, or through training. Unfortunately, the dogs with the reputation for being vicious are bred for strength, speed and intelligence and as such are trained by certain people to fight. This just completes the constant circle and reinforces stereotypes. But any type of dog can be made violent, from a Teacup Poodle to a Bull Mastiff, if it is raised to be that way.

Edited by Mikiti

I don't know about that. My cats will look me in the eye. I've had horses and my mom's cockatiels do it too. As well as all my dad's dogs.

And its true about the bonding with other animals. My dad's big Pyrenees loved cats, and our cats loved her. Because we got her as a puppy when all our cats were kittens and even though she was much larger than they were, they played together and slept together, and as those cats grew and had more kittens the dog bonded with them and had a surrogate mother type relationship with them. She'd watch out for them and protect them from the other dogs and snuggle with them when they were sleeping, and it never bothered the mama cats because they grew up with her, so she was just part of the family.