Oh, facebook.

Every day, I'm just that bit closer to deleting my facebook account. I mean, I don't care what people I went to high school with had for dinner. Especially since I don't like any of the losers I went to high school with AND dinner is mostly overrated.

This just adds fuel to the fire...

Edited by Hoskins

Every day, I'm just that bit closer to deleting my facebook account. I mean, I don't care what people I went to high school with had for dinner. Especially since I don't like any of the losers I went to high school with AND dinner is mostly overrated.

This just adds fuel to the fire...

Honestly, the only reason I got Facebook was because everyone else had one and I kept on getting asked why I didn't have one. So I got one. I like it because it allows me to keep in contact with high school friends who are now scattered all over the place and would have no contact with them if I didn't use Facebook. So in that regards, I like it. I agree with you though that I could give a crap what someone had for dinner or who is having trouble with their boyfriend/girlfriend, etc. That part does annoy me. But overall I like Facebook. I check it multiple times a day and post my own stuff on it.

Hence why I don't click ads. Besides, ads are laden with viruses and other security hazards as well. Doesn't matter what site I'm on, I refuse to click them.

If you saw my facebook, you'd see MAYBE three people from my hometown. Most of them are friends I made in college and actually care about keeping up with what they're doing. So while I have a lot of facebook friends, very few of them are people from pre-college and all of them only get to stay if I regularly speak with that person or get a laugh out of what they say on there. Sometimes the people I connect with are very wise, witty, or just funny, so I let them stay just so I can see what they do next.

I am a proud non-facebook user. I have no use for it. :) I saw my friend's and it was mostly them playing those retarded games and such... most of my communication is Via texts if I can't call or talk to them face to face.

Call me old fashioned. ;)

And, Facebook gave up privacy when they allowed everyone and their mothers join... anyway.

I am a proud non-facebook user. I have no use for it. :) I saw my friend's and it was mostly them playing those retarded games and such... most of my communication is Via texts if I can't call or talk to them face to face.

Call me old fashioned. ;)

And, Facebook gave up privacy when they allowed everyone and their mothers join... anyway.

Krista, we don't live in the 1400s anymore!!! :o ...........:P

Be sure to read the link Hoskins provided. It may just change your whole outlook on Facebook.

I was a Facebook member for several years, but dropped it several months ago. I had been concerned about security for a while when something happened that proved to be the last straw. I am in the habit of searching my own name in Google about once per month (and I recommend you do the same). One of the links that popped up was one of those that will sell you public information about a person. There, next to my name, age, and hometown was a picture of one of my grandsons which I had posted on Facebook. That was it. I not only canceled my account, I deleted every entry I had ever made. A few of my friends e-mailed me to find out why I was no longer on Facebook. It' amazing how few of my "friends" actually missed me.

If you are out and don't care who knows you are gay and don't mind being targeted by Facebook for gay-oriented advertising...no big deal.

Be sure to read the link Hoskins provided. It may just change your whole outlook on Facebook.

I was a Facebook member for several years, but dropped it several months ago. I had been concerned about security for a while when something happened that proved to be the last straw. I am in the habit of searching my own name in Google about once per month (and I recommend you do the same). One of the links that popped up was one of those that will sell you public information about a person. There, next to my name, age, and hometown was a picture of one of my grandsons which I had posted on Facebook. That was it. I not only canceled my account, I deleted every entry I had ever made. A few of my friends e-mailed me to find out why I was no longer on Facebook. It' amazing how few of my "friends" actually missed me.

If you are out and don't care who knows you are gay and don't mind being targeted by Facebook for gay-oriented advertising...no big deal.

B)......... I'm still with facebook, playing a few games, I never click on an advertiser, and google for my name every so often. The only one that comes up is some guy in London that has the same name as mine.

I like facebook, I talk to people, mainly family that doesn't live close. I definitely wouldn't talk or text them so in that aspect it's good for me. Of course, I do like Fronterville :) and I'm not ashamed of it. So there.

Anyone using Facebook (or the Internet), and puts up personal information should be well aware of the risks by now. If you want something to stay private, you shouldn't be putting it on the web in the first place.

If you play all those games on facebook made by third party app developers, you should probably read the terms of service closely. A lot of them will not only give away your personal info, but the info of anyone your friends with on facebook. Which means that your friend that loves ninjas vs pirates is unintentionally betraying your information to advertisers.

• Like 1

I'd like to point out that I just googled my name and it popped up once under my father's name as me being his daughter. He doesn't even use a computer, no facebook or even email.

I googled my husband's name, he has no facebook either, and his name popped up about 20 times. Apparently, he visits lots of dating sites. But our address is all over the freakin' place. That's scary.

I joined facebook for the specifric purpose of finding someone. It worked really well. I still keep in touch with him now but not on facebook - he lives in my area.

I now have 40 or so "friends" whom I never hear from. :wacko:

I get requests from people I don't even know (or can't remember) to be friends. :blink:

I mostly use facebook to keep up with people and events going on, and rarely post to it. My name is actually really difficult to Google; even if you put my full name and hometown in, only 2 of the results on the first page relate to me at all. I've tried to figure out other tricks to find info on myself (hint: people use the same username on lots of sites, so if you know someone's e-mail address, the part before the @ can be the best way to get info about them), and mostly all you can figure out is that I post here, that I like video games, and that I make a twitter post about once every 3 weeks ...

Well, everything Facebook provides and doesn't provide isn't exactly news. You use it because there's obviously something about it that appeals to you and vice versa. If you don't like it (anymore) then get rid of it, it really doesn't get anymore complicated that than and it's not like you staying within its realm is a favor to the world or something.

With that being said. I like it because it keeps me networked and networking has its benefits. It wouldn't provide everyone with the same benefits, which is also one of the good things about FB, that you can get what you want/need to get from it depending on your own usage purposes.

I didn't read the article linked, but a note about privacy...I think everyone ought to know by now that the internet in general isn't the safest place to leave confidential information. If you choose to do so, it's at your own risk. Don't blame the medium, blame your own actions.

Yang, you're a smart guy. I'm a smart guy. Lots if people here are smart.

I would say that the ratio of people who understand FB's risks and absolute disregard for your private information vs those who don't are around one in twenty. And the ones that get viruses through FB are even worse.

And read the article. It's not about what you explicitly say. What people say about you, not what you put in your profile, is now being used to arrive at conclusions about your sexual orientation. You don't think that's a problem?

I'm a newby to face book and the novelty hasn't worn off. I too managed to link up with some people I know, but I know what you mean about people talking about banalaties, like, what they had for breakfast, where they are, and whether they should shower or not. But what about some advise for a newby on Fb, I'm tempted to just add strangers as friends and chatting, is this wise?

I'm not really *out* on facebook, so it doesn't matter in that arena. Nor do I use my real name on it--but a pen name. Doesn't matter what site, I don't use my real information, so the most ANYONE gets that might be accurate is my email--and it's a secondary email address that doesn't have any of my actual contacts in it and is not linked to my primary.

**security fiend**

I dare you to find any incriminating information about me ;)

Well...I take it back. ONE site has real info on me. PayPal. But I rarely use it as anything but personal transactions for my art commissions, so one eBay bid and one other purchase on a clothing site is all PayPal is connected to, ever.

edit: Just googled my real name. I had exactly three results. Two of them were student rosters at my college, one was a scholarship I'd gone after.

Edited by DragonMando